Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Duke Nukem Forever
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 14:46 

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... eviews.ars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 17:22 
Meh

WTB wrote:
What about playing the demo on PC and playing the full game on 360? I can plainly see that the game is identical on the PC barring performance and graphical qualities. What is it about the full PC version that is so different to the 360 version other than those two things? Two things, I add, that whilst not exactly great on the 360, don't have any major impact on the actual game itself. It's still the same game. I haven't read/seen/heard anything to say otherwise. Does the PC version have more open-ended gameplay? Are the levels different somehow?

Identical barring all the important things like being able to play it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 17:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Nemmie wrote:
WTB wrote:
What about playing the demo on PC and playing the full game on 360? I can plainly see that the game is identical on the PC barring performance and graphical qualities. What is it about the full PC version that is so different to the 360 version other than those two things? Two things, I add, that whilst not exactly great on the 360, don't have any major impact on the actual game itself. It's still the same game. I haven't read/seen/heard anything to say otherwise. Does the PC version have more open-ended gameplay? Are the levels different somehow?

The dude thinks it's OK to play BC2 on the 360, he may not be a competent judge of what counts as 'properly' :nerd:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 18:03 

Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 18:12 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:
Wow.

PC spods, great aren't they.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 18:17 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Nemmie wrote:
WTB wrote:

The dude thinks it's OK to play BC2 on the 360, he may not be a competent judge of what counts as 'properly' :nerd:

While I will defend PC gaming all day, there is something to commend playing BC2 on the 360...while lying on the couch on a big screen (which is probably why I'm knocking on 100 hours playing the bloody thing).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 18:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

WTB wrote:
Wow.

Ha, WTB has been WTBed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 18:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

I play BC2 on the 360, quite happily!

You 360 racist :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 19:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I hope it's apparent that this is all very much in jest as far as I'm concerned? :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 20:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

Of course!

racist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 
UltraMod

Nemmie wrote:

This is the sort of thing I expect coming from someone like you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 
Meh

myoptikakaka wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

I knew you would say that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:12 
UltraMod

Nemmie wrote:
myoptikakaka wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 21:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My second copy of Duke Nukem: Balls of steel turned up today and guess what... yep.. it's damaged.

Fuck it.

It's going back and I'm getting a refund. >:(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 15:32 
Bad Girl

The demo is up for 360 owners. To be honest I thought it was pretty ok. It has, what I imagine, is the footstadium start of the game and part of the bit where your truck breaks down in the desert and you're looking for fuel.

To be absolutely fair I thought the stadium bit was pretty good. You play with the scenery, there's some chatter between soliders and Duke does his usual one liners. The desert bit though really shows how creaky the 360 version is though. Anyone who first played Half Life 2 on the original xbox will feel like they've gone back 5 or 6 years when consoles struggled to cope emulating the big spec PC version. It's slow, it eeks along and feels like the screen is skipping a few frames. Which is strange as the desert world doesn't look half as detailed as, say, Cyrsis 2. And the shooting is bland and repetitive which the pig cops managing to spot you whenever you move slightly out of cover. I really felt it was a shame though cause what was there seemed like it just tettering on the edge of being loads of retro inspired fun. I won't be getting this anytime soon but I think I'll pick it up in the bargins just to have a look at what could have been.

Does anyone know how the PS3 version stands up? Is it more competent than the 360?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 16:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
The demo is up for 360 owners. To be honest I thought it was pretty ok. It has, what I imagine, is the footstadium start of the game and part of the bit where your truck breaks down in the desert and you're looking for fuel.

To be absolutely fair I thought the stadium bit was pretty good. You play with the scenery, there's some chatter between soliders and Duke does his usual one liners. The desert bit though really shows how creaky the 360 version is though. Anyone who first played Half Life 2 on the original xbox will feel like they've gone back 5 or 6 years when consoles struggled to cope emulating the big spec PC version. It's slow, it eeks along and feels like the screen is skipping a few frames. Which is strange as the desert world doesn't look half as detailed as, say, Cyrsis 2. And the shooting is bland and repetitive which the pig cops managing to spot you whenever you move slightly out of cover. I really felt it was a shame though cause what was there seemed like it just tettering on the edge of being loads of retro inspired fun. I won't be getting this anytime soon but I think I'll pick it up in the bargins just to have a look at what could have been.

Does anyone know how the PS3 version stands up? Is it more competent than the 360?

According to the eurogamer face-off, the PS3 versions fares a lot better than the 360 version.

The 360 version really is a total sack of shit by all accounts.

I'm still waiting for the PC version to hit £4.99 in a Steam sale :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... r-face-off

Quote:
It's a night-and-day difference between the two consoles. The Microsoft platform runs the game with an uncapped frame-rate, presenting some of the worst screen-tear we've seen in recent times. It seems that the people in charge of the conversion could only manage to get any semblance of a 30 frames-per-second refresh by updating the framebuffer as soon as a frame was rendered, and even then we still see some alarming drops in overall performance. The result is an unwelcome assault on both the look of the game and the way it plays.

The contrast with the PlayStation 3's showing is remarkable. In an interview with the PlayStation Blog, Randy Pitchford talked about "amazing optimisations" for the PS3 version courtesy of Piranha. The PlayStation 3's ability to run at what is effectively a locked 30FPS with only very minor outbreaks of screen-tear creates a remarkable difference to the experience of actually playing the game. While it's still objectionably ugly in many ways (hardly "amazing" bearing in mind the standard of the average FPS these days), at least the game provides a consistent level of visual feedback to the gameplay experience, with controls that feel solid and dependable.

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3