Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ripples across the world
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 16:52 
Chinny chin chin

Kern wrote:
Protests in Libya have now spread to Tripoli. Rumours that Gadaffi (sp?) has left the city.
Awful reports about use of live ammunition in various cities . Estimates of over 230 killed in Libya already.

I think his son was sending out a secret code to unleash Jedwood on the protestors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 18:48 
Ready for action

Libyan fighter jets land in Malta illegally (without clearance) and the pilots are immediatly detained. The pilots then reveal themselves to include senior colonels of the Libyan military, ordered to 'bombard' protestors. They then took the decision to ignore this order and fly off course, defecting and landing in Malta.

8)

Post subject: Ripples across the world
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 18:57 

This is the only way the Army is there for the people. We need them to step up and take the side of the people

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 20:39 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Gilly wrote:
Libyan fighter jets land in Malta illegally (without clearance) and the pilots are immediatly detained. The pilots then reveal themselves to include senior colonels of the Libyan military, ordered to 'bombard' protestors. They then took the decision to ignore this order and fly off course, defecting and landing in Malta.

8)

This is now confirmed on BBC.

Jesus christ, Mubarak was an amateur.
Quote:
More details on the call by Libya's diplomats at the United Nations for international intervention to end the crisis. The deputy ambassador, Ibrahim Omar Al Dabashi, told BBC World that Col Gaddafi's government was carrying out a genocide. "It is a real genocide whether it is in the eastern cities of Libya or whether what is going now in Tripoli," he said. "The information that we are receiving from the people in Tripoli is the regime is killing whoever goes out to the streets... He has his mercenaries everywhere in the streets and whenever any demonstrator appears they just kill them. At least they shoot them, whether they kill them or not, but they are shooting them."

When your own UN Ambassador is appealing to them, your shit is fucked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 21:14 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Libyan regime is hiring mercenaries from all over the place to attack their own people. Reports of artillery and air strikes on protestors - crowds of unarmed civilians. Bodies piling up in the streets of Tripoli. Reporters having little luck getting in. I've heard a report of 11 soldiers being shot by their superiors for refusing to fire on protestors, however I can't find anyone confirming this. Same for reports that the Egyptian army has announced that the border is open for all Libyans wishing to cross. Tunisians are also offering medical aid to anyone who can make it across the border, according to one Al Jazeera guest (I didn't catch his name).

Libyan ambassadors around the world are quitting and speaking to the media. Even their own deputy ambassador to the UN has very firmly condemned the attacks live on Al Jazeera, saying that he works for the people, not the regime, and has asked that Gaddafi be brought to the Hague for crimes against humanity, that the UN make Libya a no-fly zone, and that medical supplies to Benghazi, where the protests first started, be delivered and protected.

At least 250 killed today alone. Most European nations have condemned these atrocities, including the UK. The US has been quiet, however in this instance it's a lot harder to criticise them here as their relations with Libya have been very strained for decades. Italy is the notable exception, as they have not condemned the attacks, and have made some vague hints about fears of islamic extremism (if I interpret correctly - I may be mistaken though) instead. Italy buys about 20-30% of its oil from Libya, however, which seems to the obvious explanation for their reticence.

Now is surely the time for us to be stopping arms shipments to all these countries, not just the ones who've already started butchering innocent civilians. We couldn't stop the winds of change last time, and there's no reason to think we can now, even if it were the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 0:14 

I find it shocking and sad that a country's own army will attack it's own people. I'll go to sleep tonight praying that army leaders see sense and no more blood be lost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Beeb: Meanwhile, Maltese officials say two Libyan fighter jets have landed there after the pilots asked for asylum because they were ordered to bomb civilians.

Been watching the Al Jazeera feed again. Grim stuff. This is the same government that massacred 1,700 prisoners after a riot in 1996. Astonished to find Western governments like ours thinking its okay to sell arms to such regimes because they haven't committed recent atrocities, yet surely they must realise the probability of such weaponry being used to suppress major internal dissent. So much for the gentle beckoning of them into the civilisation.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:13 
Excellent Member

WHAT THE FUCK.

Jazeera have just shown a breaking news LIVE clip of Gaddafi on State TV. What is he doing? Is he making an angry speech? Is he reviewing troops? Is he signing papers? Is he saluting the flag?

No, he's playing with a white umbrella in a confused manner in what appears to be a camper van, in a manner that would make Father Dougal look as focused as Gary Kasparov. 8)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:30 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Qatar has called on the UN Security Council to actually do something instead of just condemning. This could actually be significant as Qatar hosts Al Jazeera and is apparently more influential than you'd expect. Plus the fact that someone's stood up and said it might mean others follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the UN step in, to be honest, if not now then within the week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:31 

He is gearing up for a rendition of singing in the rain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:32 
Excellent Member

gospvg wrote:
He is gearing up for a rendition of singing in the rain

Well he does have a policeman on every corner so the stage is set.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:33 

sinister agent wrote:
Qatar has called on the UN Security Council to actually do something instead of just condemning. This could actually be significant as Qatar hosts Al Jazeera and is apparently more influential than you'd expect. Plus the fact that someone's stood up and said it might mean others follow suit.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the UN step in, to be honest, if not now than within the week.

UN won't do shit all talk no action. Condemn this & that pointless talking. Only the Libyan Army can now turn this around and smack Gaddafi in the face

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:34 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

sinister agent wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see the UN step in, to be honest, if not now than within the week.

It's an enormous step though. The minute the UN steps in to protect citizens from their government in one of these countries, the steady progression of disenchantment and protest will become a landslide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 
Excellent Member

sinister agent wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the UN step in, to be honest, if not now then within the week.

We'll see what the morning brings us regarding reports of his fighters shooting at marchers. If that's true, then the UN may impose a no-fly zone - but that would be the absolute limit and even then they'd argue over it until it was moot. Everyone seems utterly paralysed at the moment, unable to decide what to do. To be fair, there's no easy solutions in their (and our) world of realpolitik.

If the Libyan army has been getting well paid by all that oil money then the turn-around smack-down might not come as quick as Egypts. This could be civil war. Also, the UN is there first and foremost to prevent countries invading each other. (Good job they didn't bomb us, eh? Phew.) Secondly they are there to protect populations during recognised civil war - and they're usually tardy and ineffectual at that. The UN has never been meant to step in to stop violent internal repression, that only happens when the country doing the repressing is seen as a direct and immediate threat to the stability or security of other countries.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:38 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

It's an enormous step though. The minute the UN steps in to protect citizens from their government in one of these countries, the steady progression of disenchantment and protest will become a landslide.

True, true. This is why they didn't say much about Egypt; it's an enormous precedent to set, and as I understand it, the UN's policy has always been to leave internal conflicts alone as far as possible. And I suppose even if action were proposed, it would only take one country to veto it (hello China!). Perhaps I'm being overly dramatic. It does seem like some external action is going to come, though, this is much more extreme thant he Egypt thing, and there seems to be a lot more strong commentary from abroad than before.

I just caught a bit of Gaddafi's broadcast a minute ago. Bizarre. He seems like a kind of evil counterpart to Michael Jackson.

NervousPete wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

We'll see what the morning brings us regarding reports of his fighters shooting at marchers. If that's true, then the UN may impose a no-fly zone - but that would be the absolute limit and even then they'd argue over it until it was moot. Everyone seems utterly paralysed at the moment, unable to decide what to do. To be fair, there's no easy solutions in their (and our) world of realpolitik.

If the Libyan army has been getting well paid by all that oil money then the turn-around smack-down might not come as quick as Egypts. This could be civil war.

Yeah, you're right, on reflection, it's more likely that individual countries will quietly ship arms to militant groups and the like, and probably throw a few troublemakers over there to fight with whichever side they prefer. Of course, that's bound to wrap things up quickly and neatly. :roll:

The oil thing is perhaps key - speaking in heartless utilitarian terms, Egypt's importance in the political sense was more of a diplomatic/strategic issue, whereas Libya's is of resources. Allies can be found anywhere if you bargain enough, but resources exist where they exist. This is only going to get uglier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 
Excellent Member

sinister agent wrote:
I just caught a bit of Gaddafi's broadcast a minute ago. Bizarre. He seems like a kind of evil counterpart to Michael Jackson.

Funny how you never saw them at the same parties...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 

They need to start playing Muse Uprising on the Libyan airwaves that will make the people rise. There seems to be a lot of top diplomats, chief minister & some army chiefs now condemning the killing of libya citizens. It can go two ways now & I hope it's not the civil war route

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

gospvg wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

UN won't do shit all talk no action. Condemn this & that pointless talking. Only the Libyan Army can now turn this around and smack Gaddafi in the face

Speaking of which, I can't help but wonder how serious a concern this may become over the next few decades. The precursor to the UN, the League of Nations, failed miserably precisely because all it could do was tut disapprovingly (I remember writing an essay about it once actually, where I dismissed the act of condemnation as "frankly pathetic" in the face of aggression from a rogue state like Mussolini's Italy. Not bad for a 15 year old, and yes I am somewhat drunk, thank you) and impose economic sanctions which could quite easily be ignored.

Okay, the LoN was beset by other problems and vastly less powerful and respected than the UN (and it didn't have the same calibre of sister organisations like the WHO), but if conflicts within states continue to be more of an international concern than conflicts between states (which is hard to dismiss as we're clearly on the dawn of a vastly different age of communication, with even the most powerful nation on the planet being humiliated by an average soldier with some 50p DVD-Rs), the UN might need to meet to discuss whether the UN is actually enough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:04 

gospvg wrote:
UN won't do shit all, they're all on holiday.
SRSLY!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 

Man achieves victory using 'desert power', people held in grip of tyrant for a very long time, eventual departure of tyrant ensures values of freedom held so dear to the people that their future continues along a 'golden path'?

Gaddafi's been reading Dune!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:30 

sinister agent wrote:
Okay, the LoN was beset by other problems and vastly less powerful and respected than the UN (and it didn't have the same calibre of sister organisations like the WHO), but if conflicts within states continue to be more of an international concern than conflicts between states (which is hard to dismiss as we're clearly on the dawn of a vastly different age of communication, with even the most powerful nation on the planet being humiliated by an average soldier with some 50p DVD-Rs), the UN might need to meet to discuss whether the UN is actually enough.

The problem, of course, is that it then raises questions of who should decide what issues require intervention. I don't think China or the US would like us poking in their affairs, and even our successes (Kosovo, Sierra Leone) seem very selective. We've done fuckall during years of genocide in Sudan, for example. We deposed Saddam Hussain, but Mugabe's still going nutso in Zimbabwe.
But, internal disruption is very destabilising to the international system, so it's the kind of thing the UN ought to be looking at.

I'm afraid International Relations isn't my strong point (other than, of course World Government, with me as Lord Protector) so am reading your posts with interest. Keep them coming.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 
Where are you?

Still, lucky the UK don't look like complete hypocrites. It'd be awful if, say, the British PM was currently in Egypt, preparing the spend the next three days touring undemocratic Gulf states with eight of Britain's leading defence manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:46 
baron of techno

unfuckingbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 16:59 

Col. Gadaffi (sp?) started speaking around 5 minutes ago. I can't have sound on at work (and headphones are too obvious..) so am relying on the BBC and other text sources.
BBC wrote:
1558: More from Col Gaddafi: "All African nations look up to Libya, all the rulers of the world look up to Libya. Protesters are serving the devil, they want to humiliate you. We want to recover, to react effectively on the ground."
Col Gaddafi says he is not the president of the country, he is the leader of the revolution.
1554: "Libya wants chaos, beards and turbans", says Col Gaddafi, according to the live translation. [that must be a mistranslation - K]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:04 

He's just promised to die on Libyan soil. I think Mubarak said something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:05 

The BBC stream is brilliant:
Quote:
1603: Col Gaddafi renews accusations that protesters were young people who had been given "hallucinatory drugs".

EDIT: As brilliant as the words of someone responsible for using air strikes and artillery etc against his own people could be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He is actually a bona fide lunatic, isn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:15 

Quote:
1611: More from Col Gaddafi: "Fighting will carry on street by street until Libyan soil is liberated."

From who? The Libyans?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:16 

Graunaid stream even more bizaare:

Quote:
Families should collect their children, and get out of their houses if you love Muammar Gaddafi, he says, and secure the streets and take the greasy rats out of the streets.

He is asking his supporters to rise up against the rebels.

If we have to use force we will use it, according to international law and the Libyan constitution - tomorrow and even from tonight.

He is not a president so can't resign - he will fight until the last drop of his blood with the Libyan people behind him. "You are a solid rock."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/20 ... ve-updates

EDIT oh,and 'The number of committees will be increased from 23 to 30, he says, talking presumably about reforms to increase the power of local government.'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:24 

Guardian wrote:
4.19pm: Putting a different pair of glasses on, he reads from a book on law: "Any Libyan who lifts an arm shall be punished with the death sentence. Those who spy for other countries shall be punished with the death sentence. Anybody who undermines the sovereignty of the state" – same punishment. Those who commit crimes against the army, anyone working for a foreign country undermining the defence of the country – same punishment. "We will not blame the youth," he says, but adds: when they are caught and prosecuted they will be begging for mercy but this time we will not be so merciful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:41 

He's now promising a new administration and some role for his son, who will meet ambassadors and the media tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 17:50 
Excellent Member

Unfuckingbelievable is right. At first I thought it was a brave and bold move by Cameron, until I heard about the defence contractors. That's sort of like going to sell 'Never-Scale' fencing at Hillsborough stadium. The day after. Saying, "Heard you used a lot of this up lately in a messy pitch invasion so figure you might like some discount fence bargains."

Gaddafi is a lunatic. Shame the people who will be running the brutal suppression aren't. Hope were not looking at civil war here. I can't see him winning this one - is he crazy enough to re-enact Downfall?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 20:01 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

sinister agent wrote:
This could actually be significant as Qatar hosts Al Jazeera

That this point is important is on the verge of worrying me. While we may agree with the protestors, could it conceivably be orchestrated through media to someone else's ends? There is a common theme in each protest

My concern would be the same if Fox News or any other media organisation could be subbed in there. Someone mentioned the worst James Bond film in history earlier (Tomorrow Never Dies) as a (initially) jokey suggestion, but we did stop and think.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 20:15 
Excellent Painter

NervousPete wrote:
Unfuckingbelievable is right. At first I thought it was a brave and bold move by Cameron, until I heard about the defence contractors. That's sort of like going to sell 'Never-Scale' fencing at Hillsborough stadium. The day after. Saying, "Heard you used a lot of this up lately in a messy pitch invasion so figure you might like some discount fence bargains."

Gaddafi is a lunatic. Shame the people who will be running the brutal suppression aren't. Hope were not looking at civil war here. I can't see him winning this one - is he crazy enough to re-enact Downfall?

If the tale a few years back about him having untreated syphilis are true then there's a good chance he is mad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 22:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
This could actually be significant as Qatar hosts Al Jazeera

That this point is important is on the verge of worrying me. While we may agree with the protestors, could it conceivably be orchestrated through media to someone else's ends? There is a common theme in each protest

My concern would be the same if Fox News or any other media organisation could be subbed in there. Someone mentioned the worst James Bond film in history earlier (Tomorrow Never Dies) as a (initially) jokey suggestion, but we did stop and think.

I agree, it is something that should be kept in mind. AJE's coverage has been superb (less so in Libya as they had fewer people on the ground), but nobody's perfect or without bias. However, throughout the whole of the Egypt thing, AJE's coverage echoed what I was being linked to directly from Tahrir Square (and Alexandria to a lesser extent) by protestors themselves. Now, obviously they will have a massive bias too, but the support for the protestors outweighed the criticism so massively.

Hell, Fox news and Al Jazeera were agreeing on things. That alone makes me far less suspicious.

I don't think it would be possible to orchestrate movements on this kind of scale - you might manipulate things to begin with, but it's clearly grown out of control of any news agency, and if it's being orchestrated, then whoever's doing it has the backing of AJE, Google, Fox news, the BBC and tens of millions of people. Even if you could somehow set that off, it'd soon take on a life of its own - you couldn't possibly suppress that many people uploading videos and reports directly to the internet from the protest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 22:35 
Ready for action

I have to say that Al jazeera continue to present great coverage. The amount of times they have introduced someone for an interview only to lose the line, or when broadcasting the events in Egyps to lose contact with reporters and camera crews, only for them to continue with coverage and bridge over interruptions pretty smoothly. Plus they have those excellent short films they sometimes show through the day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 23:01 
Excellent Member

Problem with the manipulation theory is the absolute confusion within the military and that happened from day 1. From border guards all going "fuck it, we hate him come on in" to high ranking officers choosing to take the planes and run for it rather than order or take part in a massacre (there have been chilling reports of groups of soldiers being executed for refusing to fire on civilians) and diplomats quitting left right and centre.

The man is clearly fucking nuts but there is a worrying parallel to be drawn between his military and the Japanese one during WW2 - a bunch of psycho thugs in charge of ordinary people using there own culture to manipulate them and a "we will die fighting and everyone else will burn along with us" mind set.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The UN Security Council has condemned the attacks on protestors and demanded that it stop.

Pro-Gaddafi supporters in Tripoli have come out after one of his speeches ("I will die here, I will fight on, I will eat your face and etc.") to demonstrate. Curiously, the shots I saw (state tv, natch) are of people waving flags and going out of their way to look directly at the camera. Doesn't look very demonstrate-y to me, but then I've only seen a few short clips, so. I find it hard to believe there are many people in Tripoli who would protest in favour of a regime that's bombing other Libyans, even if they were previously in favour of Gaddafi.

Death toll put at 300 by state tv; other estimates top about 1,000. Probably safe to assume it's at least 500.

Two battleships have appeared in Malta, having refused orders to shell Benghazi.

Communications down - internet access etc. gone. Unclear what workarounds are in place - I'm probably not looking hard enough, but I think Libya also has a lower proportion of English speakers than Egypt, and I am too ignorant to know Arabic, although I now know several ways to ask a dictator to leave, which could be quite useful at work in the coming weeks.

50 people reportedly arrested in Zimbabwe for watching coverage of Libyan protests 8)

A Libyan student in Washington speaking out on AJE just now, saying that she doesn't care if they cancel her scholarship and refuse to let her back in; she will speak out and go back and die with her people if she has to, and wants to say to them that she's sorry she's come so late.

Finding it hard to comment here. The Libyan embassy are the second biggest pain in the arse of all the sponsors of our students, so I've got to know a couple of our Libyan students relatively well. I know there's an extra check I'll be making for any student records I work on next week....

Chile has reportedly cut off diplomatic ties with Libya. I can't find confirmation of this, but go Chile if it's accurate.

Google are helping out again with their "speak to tweet" service.

This paints an interesting picture of Libya's influence on neighbouring African states.

John Railton's telephone call service, launched last month for Egyptians to call and leave messages for all to hear, is now reaching out to Libyans.

CNN reports that Eastern Libya "appears to be under opposition control", with armed men in civilian clothing guarding the streets claiming to have killed or captured hundreds of Gaddafi's Central African mercenaries.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 
Excellent Member

At this rate Malta's going to become an island super-power!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 18:11 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Saudi King figures it's probably a good idea to play it safe

Quote:
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has announced a series of benefits for citizens amounting to $10.7 billion, as he returned to the country after he spent three months abroad for health treatment, state television reported.

The steps, announced on Wednesday, include funding to offset high inflation and to aid young unemployed people and Saudi citizens studying abroad, as well the writing off some loans.

I can't imagine anything happening on a large scale in SA, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're already helping them suppress any chance of it happening anyway. But this is pretty interesting. Even the regimes that aren't under a great threat might start seeing sense in lightening up a little just in case.

Libya, meanwhile, appears to be falling under the control of the revolutionaries, as government ministers and some army officers join the people. Malta turned back a plane that was believed to be carrying Gaddafi's daughter.

Foreign journalists are starting to find ways into the country. Democracy Now journo Anjali Kamat twatters:

Quote:
Entering Libya now. Greeted by army who have all joined revolution. Man checking our passports is an airforce major general

Graffitti on wall: 'welcome to the new free Libya.' Everyone wants to know news from Egypt

UN Human Rights Commissioner says that if aerial attacks on protestors are confirmed, a no-fly zone may be needed. Cameron calls for a UN Security Council resolution (although only for a crowd, so not formally at the UN itself yet. Neat trick, Dave. Make sure you get us a good price for those arms deals, eh? Cunt). Even Iran's Ahmedinejad makes a pretty decent speech condemning the violence and saying that leaders who don't respect the will of their people... "their fate is written". Yowser.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 18:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well this might change a few things in terms of who's willing to get involved:

Quote:
STOCKHOLM (AP) — Swedish tabloid Expressen says Libya's ex-justice minister claims Moammar Gadhafi personally ordered the Lockerbie bombing that killed 270 people in 1988.
Expressen on Wednesday quoted Mustafa Abdel-Jalil as telling their correspondent in Libya that "I have proof that Gadhafi gave the order about Lockerbie." He didn't describe the proof.
Abdel-Jalil stepped down as justice minister to protest the violence against anti-government demonstrations.
He told Expressen Gadhafi gave the order to Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, the only man convicted in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, which killed all 259 people on board and 11 on the ground.
"To hide it, he (Gadhafi) did everything in his power to get al-Megrahi back from Scotland," Abdel-Jalil was quoted as saying.
Al-Megrahi was granted a compassionate release from a Scottish prison in August 2009 on the grounds that he was suffering from prostate cancer and would die soon. He is still alive.
Expressen spokeswoman Alexandra Forslund said its reporter, Kassem Hamade, interviewed the ex-justice minister at "a local parliament in a large city in Libya." She didn't want to name the city, citing security concerns.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDefault/*/Artic ... 1baeae6cc4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:39 
Excellent Painter

Jesus wept!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:25 

sinister agent wrote:
Even Iran's Ahmedinejad makes a pretty decent speech condemning the violence and saying that leaders who don't respect the will of their people... "their fate is written". Yowser.

Except himself, obv. In my years of refugee support, I've never had a Libyan or a Saudi fleeing persecution for expressing a political viewpoint contrary to their despot's. Tens of Iranians though, and one Egyptian.

Ahmedinejad is far too efficient in the way he organises his populace suppression to look like a Gaddafi. I'm willing to bet he's a much, much bigger cunt though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

GovernmentYard wrote:
Except himself, obv. In my years of refugee support, I've never had a Libyan or a Saudi fleeing persecution for expressing a political viewpoint contrary to their despot's. Tens of Iranians though, and one Egyptian.

Hmm - there appear to be several hundred who have been rather terminally persecuted for expressing a political viewpoint contrary to Gadaffi, and that's only in the last 48 hours or so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:46 

Yes but he's undermining himself by it being common knowledge.

Proper tyrants have a death building in every village and dispose of the opposition one by one having framed them for whatever comes to mind. Something haraahm usually helps. Bombing a square full of grumbling citizens with your shitty old Migs is a schoolboy error in the oppressive regime game.

I've heard the Syphillis thing about Mugabe as well. Aren't those two friends?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:48 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Oh, I've no doubt that Ahmedinejad is as big a cunt as Saddam Hussein - perhaps even more, and the speech was typical doublespeak even more so than Cameron or Obama's. But it's significant that he was willing to make such an unambiguous statement at this time. I'm not aware of the particulars of Libyan-Iranian relations though, so I could be getting the wrong idea.

Mm, it does seem that Gaddafi's crossed the threshold from 'mad but cunning and very capable dictator' to 'crazy as batshit pie', hence that veneer of respect other powers can have for his power, if not his methods, is surely gone. Precisely when this happened could probably be debated all night, though.

Craster wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

Hmm - there appear to be several hundred who have been rather terminally persecuted for expressing a political viewpoint contrary to Gadaffi, and that's only in the last 48 hours or so.

True, but this is a massive crisis moment. Not justifying what he's doing, of course, but even the most cool and sophisticated dictator might resort to this as a desperate measure, especially when it becomes clear that their days are numbered. It doesn't look like Mubarak straight up executed that many people last month, but he sure as shit imprisoned and tortured thousands of protestors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 15:21 

Gadaffi is speaking again. Apparently Libyan youth have been given hallucinogenic pills by Bin Laden.

Meanwhile, shooting, violence, and killings continue.

EDIT: He's giving this in audio only.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 15:32 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Kern wrote:
Gadaffi is speaking again. Apparently Libyan youth have been given hallucinogenic pills by Bin Laden.

We're all going to look pretty silly if it turns out he's right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 16:43 
Excellent Member

I'd be enjoying all this mentalness a lot more if I didn't think it could al go horribly wrong (for Europe and the rest of the world) at any moment.

He looks completely out of his tree, doesn't he? I love his sparkly headband thing.

Mumm-ra Gaddaffi...or Jackie Stallone...?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 17:02 
baron of techno

I was wondering if China might be prone to the same thing.

Or are they all happily occupied there, with the crazed free market in place.

Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next