All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Large Hadron Collider
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 18:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... lhc105.xml

Relevant quote here:

Quote:
Prof Brian Cox of Manchester University, adding: "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a t---."

Yes, yes they are.

Some of you might remember 'my smart physics mate' from the Aeroplane/treadmill debate - I'm off to see him in a couple of weeks in Geneva. He works on the LHC and I hope to get a tour, it's going to be awesomesauce.

People are fucking morons however. WORLD WILL ASPLODE!!! PANIC! DEATH THREATS! ARE MY CHILDREN SAFE?

With an ignorant scaremonger as a parent? I doubt it.

Post subject: Re: Large Hadron Collider
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 18:19 
I forgot about this - how vain

People aren't morons. It's just journalists are evil, cheap, humanities student fucks who when writing about the LHC hear the "Will produce protons so energetic they could destroy world" shit - and see a 'funny' story.

Of course ten seconds research will reveal that Cosmic rays include particles many, many, many times more powerful hitting the earth all the time for billions of years without consequence and that should be the end of it.

But they still run the story because they don't fucking care about the world, and see science as nothing but a means to shit out general interest pieces that get attention and worry the fuck out of sensitive people.

The LHC is one of the most interesting and amazing things humanities ever achieved. It's a modern wonder of the world. If some galactic empire has a check list of civilizations achievements they need to have managed before they can join the club then LHC would have just ticked one of them off.

But to write a competent piece about how wonderful it is would require an ounce of investigation and interest that is like gold dust.

GAH!

/rant off (Sorry).

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 18:44 
Hibernating Druid

Lave wrote:
Of course ten seconds research will reveal that Cosmic rays include particles many, many, many times more powerful hitting the earth all the time

*Jumps off bridge*

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 19:39 
baron of techno

Hah, just as I was reading this thread, my girlfriend's mum phoned from rural Ireland to ask me if the world was going to blow up on Wednesday..
"Nice weather for it", I was tempted to answer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 20:01 
INFINITE POWAH

From El Reg:

Quote:
Boffins preparing to fire up the most powerful particle-smasher ever built have released another reassuring report which says that their machine will definitely not destroy the universe - nor even the planet Earth.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a titanic 27-kilometre doughnut made of ultra-chilly superconductor magnet pipe, is situated in hollowed-out caverns deep beneath the Franco-Swiss border. The machine functions essentially as a kind of enormous, outrageously powerful subatomic billiard cue, the idea being that it will smash protons into swarms of other protons at large fractions of the speed of light. Even though hadrons are much more strongly put together than ordinary billiard balls, banging them together at warp speed will blow them violently to bits.

Quite apart from this being beezer fun in itself, the exploding hadrons should scatter outrageously bizarre sub-subatomic debris in all directions. It's planned that teams of top-bracket boffins, operating extremely complicated machines situated as it were at the pockets of the relativistic proton billiard table, will be able to snare - or at least snap a few pics of - the hurtling hadro-chunk weirdness.

It's particularly hoped that Higgs Bosons, dark matter and other sundry theoretical gubbins - which may or may not be in fact the basic building blocks of life, the universe and everything - will appear or conclusively fail to. This will permit the whole of physics and perhaps therefore all knowledge to be rendered invalid, and allow many shouty, arm-waving, incomprehensible arguments to take place in front of blackboards.

That's all good clean fun. But others worry that in fact the mighty atom-smasher may do damage to other things than applecarts in physics faculties.

Some people worry, for instance, that an overly aggressive hadron rim-shot manoeuvre at the LHC might create a teeny, microscopic black hole. This might then expand to gobble up the entire Earth, packing the human race down inside its swelling event horizon and possibly cramming us through an interdimensional portal into a hostile universe where life as we know it couldn't exist. (There might not be any hops, for instance; or low gravity might mean that ice cubes wouldn't reliably stay in one's glass.)

The new report from the independent LHC Safety Assessment Group is having none of that, however. According to the proton-cannon safety boffins:

Any microscopic black holes produced at the LHC are expected to decay by Hawking radiation before they reach the detector walls. If some microscopic black holes were stable, those produced by cosmic rays would be stopped inside the Earth or other astronomical bodies. The stability of astronomical bodies constrains strongly the possible rate of accretion by any such microscopic black holes, so that they present no conceivable danger.

The argument is that cosmic rays are always smacking into the upper atmosphere at the same sort of speeds as protons shot from the LHC's magno-doughnut cannons. If that kind of thing led to planet-gobbling black holes, the boffins argue, the Earth ought to have vanished already; and other planets and stars should be winking out of existence all the time as well. As it hasn't, and they aren't, it's clearly OK to fire the thing up.

Other worries include the possibility that LHC boffins might absent-mindedly convert the Earth - and indeed, if they weren't careful perhaps the entire universe - into "strangelet soup", monopole custard or some other kind of fearful hypothetical-particulate semolina, Angel Delight, squirty cheez™ etc. Again, the Safety Assessment Group gives these notions short shrift.

In the case of strangelets, the good agreement of measurements of particle production at RHIC* with simple thermodynamic models constrains severely the production of strangelets in heavy-ion collisions at the LHC, which also present no danger.

According to the official LHC reassurance webpage, "It is difficult for strange matter to stick together in the high temperatures produced by such colliders, rather as ice does not form in hot water". Although soup can be made in hot water, it seems that strangelet soup can't, or anyway not this kind of hot water. It ought to be called strangelet gazpacho, really; that would avoid confusion. (Perhaps not, as the LHC is actually kept very cold in order to maintain its superconductor magnets in top shape. When the boffins say "high temperature", they seem to be speaking about the immediate vicinity of an exploding proton.)

The LHC chaps say people have also been bugging them about a mysterious catastrophic phenomenon called a "vacuum bubble" - not, apparently, anything as simple as an actual bubble of vacuum - which might be called into existence by meddling subterranean boffinry chiefs. That's cobblers too, the safety-assessment team reckon.

There have been speculations that the Universe is not in its most stable configuration, and that perturbations caused by the LHC could tip it into a more stable state, called a vacuum bubble, in which we could not exist... Since such vacuum bubbles have not been produced anywhere in the visible Universe, they will not be made by the LHC.

Although presumably you couldn't observe a vacuum bubble if it ever happened, as you would cease to exist? Or maybe the wavefront of nonexistence would spread out only at light speed, so allowing you millennia to see your doom bearing down? It's all jolly difficult. Anyway, no need to worry - again, if the LHC was going to flip the universe into a more stable state and incidentally wipe out humanity, cosmic rays would be bound to have done it already.

The Safety Assessment Group concludes that they have checked "all the proposed speculative scenarios for new particles and states of matter that currently raise safety issues", and the LHC is All Right. And don't be coming to them with some new wackjob notion, either:

Since our methodology is based on empirical reasoning based on experimental observations, it would be applicable to other exotic phenomena that might raise concerns in the future.

All in all, we here on the Reg crazy-science desk feel much better following the LHC release. Its message is basically this: Be reassured. Very reassured.

The waiting will be over soon, anyway. The magno-tunnel doughnut was chilled down to hadron-headbang operating temperatures last month, and will generate its first circulating beam next Wednesday. Shortly thereafter an opposing stream will be fired up. Then it'll be time to start loosing off the twin proton cannons into each others' muzzles on full auto and watch the chunks of weird-o-frag fly.

*The Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, an earlier and less muscular particle-punisher in the US. It too was thought likely to turn everything into some kind of particulate blancmange.

I love the final quote from them - "as we've said this once, and we think we're right, we will always be right forever whenever we say anything similar."

Didn't some nutjob mad scientist in the States try to get an injunction against them firing up the particle smashing apocolypto-tron?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 20:53 
Skillmeister

I'm somehow reminded of when Brunell dug that fuck off long tunnel through Some Hills for Some Train, and experts of the day said something along the lines of "if a train's brakes fail at the entrance of the tunnel, gravity acceleration would mean the train will be travelling at 125mph at the exit, and that speed all the air is crushed out of your lungs." Silly experts. Except if this does actually kill everything on Earth, then I wouldn't care.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 20:57 
Excellent Member

Yes, but Professor Brian Cox was the keyboard player for D:Ream, of "Things Can Only Get Better" fame. And I always said that shite would bring about the end of the world.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If this doesn't do something totally unexpected and exciting, I will be hugely disappointed. A scientist becoming caught in the tunnel during operation and turning into a super-powerful villain would be preferable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:42 
Hibernating Druid

Whatever happened to us all dying of Bird Flu?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If the scientist had bird flu, he could become the evil Doctor Chicken, which would be super amazing. I would like this, please.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 21:44 
It's all pish

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'm off to see him in a couple of weeks in Geneva. He works on the LHC and I hope to get a tour, it's going to be awesomesauce.

Comical's dark rage + advanced physics gizmo = TEH END OF TEH UVINERSE!!!!1!!1

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 22:04 
Chinny chin chin

Craster wrote:
If this doesn't do something totally unexpected and exciting, I will be hugely disappointed. A scientist becoming caught in the tunnel during operation and turning into a super-powerful villain would be preferable.

Sinclair once said you could run a nuclear reactor with a ZX81. To be fair you might be able to, but fuck me I'd make a run for it as soon as someone sneezed near the memory expansion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:45 
Lord Of The Powerchord

Topically, I've been listening to this over the last few weeks. Now I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I mention it here more because chapter 47 is a Q&A with the author -- who has obviously done his research -- and they touch upon a lot of this stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:51 
baron of techno

Malc74 wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I'm off to see him in a couple of weeks in Geneva. He works on the LHC and I hope to get a tour, it's going to be awesomesauce.

Comical's dark rage + advanced physics gizmo = TEH END OF TEH UVINERSE!!!!1!!1

Nah he'd just become like a massive angry hadron or something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 
Not to be confused with elbow

Next wednesday's not really a good time for me, do you think they'd postpone?

EDIT: Also-

does not form in hot water". Although soup can be made in hot water, it seems that strangelet soup can't, or anyway not this kind of hot water. It ought to be called strangelet GazChap, really; that would avoid confusion

Sorry, just amused me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 
Goth

You'll all be laughing on the other side of reality when you've been sucked into the Hadron Black Hole!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:59 
Kvnt

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

(Sorry.)

Last edited by Grim... on Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
NSFW much?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 13:06 

Good bloody riddance, if you ask me.

Shame I'll never get to finish watching Battlestar Galactica though...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 13:08 
Son of a Reaperman

I'd laugh if the tiny black hole just swallowed up their multi-gazillion dollar Hadron Collider and left them all standing there scratching their heads in the cavernous space left behind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 13:09 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:

I did some work on bird 'flu, doncha know. And SARS.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 20:12 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Did you make it more deadly? Or did you do the little fiddly bits?

Anyway, have they never played Another World?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 20:14 
Peculiar, yet lovely

MaliA wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I did some work on bird 'flu, doncha know. And SARS.

You'll never take Madagascar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:38 
baron of techno

Chris Morris is on the case:

Quote:
A physicist called Polkinghorne says the quantum vacuum is the nearest analogy to God in the physical world. Then again, the physicist who is brainwashing me in the CMS says quantum theory is "probably bollocks".

At a meal afterwards, we babble. Will the collider suck us into a black hole? There's a website where some health and safety nut has calculated that Cern could be 18 times more lethal than death. Captain Underpants sees commercial potential in the proton. He wants to start a line of cosmetics. He actually wants people to rub their faces with massive nuclear fragments. Someone proposes a nightclub that is only slightly not called the Large Hadron Collider. Underpants laughs himself off his stool.

We have been subject to a powerful charisma. Cern combines deeply mystical particle theory with a gorblimey cock-in-the-turbo Clarksonism. UPG pops up from under the table like a meerkat. "Hey - reckon I could get Modonna to fuck a proton?" To our pulverised minds all things are horribly possible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... e.physics2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:48 
Excellent Member

It is a shame that Chris Morris decided against using the English language. He was funny up until then.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:14 

Ruh roh! Look, Gordon Freeman is there already. At least someone is nearby who can sort out any shit that goes down.

I hope he's laid in a supply of crowbars.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:31 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Searching for "Large" "hardon" and "colander" is pretty difficult when you don't have safe search on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:31 

Because of that photo reddit ended up sending CERN a crowbar and Half Life strategy guide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:38 
Peculiar, yet lovely

richardgaywood wrote:
Ruh roh! Look, Gordon Freeman is there already. At least someone is nearby who can sort out any shit that goes down.

I hope he's laid in a supply of crowbars.

That is a pretty good likeness as far as that angle can reveal, too. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 22:55 
Legendary Boogeyman

Dr Gaywood that is fucking hilarious, hahahahahahaa :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:00 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

gggggg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm forwarding this pic to my mate who works at CERN - I want to know who that guy is.

Fucking hell, if he knows who it is I'm going to insist on meeting him and getting a picture taken. I'd die laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:12 

European LHCs are so last month. I've got a Hello Kitty one on order from Play-Asia. 802.11n on the fucker and everything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:21 
Excellent Painter

I've just bought two cordless drills. I'm ready for any fucking THING! :attitude:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 
Skillmeister

So I said super collider, I just met her. Then they built a super collider.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 

HAS THE LHC DESTROYED THE EARTH YET? KEEP UP TO DATE WITH DEVELOPMENTS AS THEY HAPPEN!

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 
Gogmagog

I've visited a particle accelerator.

Shin, what's Rod's view on this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 
Sleepyhead

Well, it's just been turned on.

*looks around for black holes*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 
UltraMod

I keep reading it as 'large hardon collider'.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:41 
Gogmagog

Particle physics in 'boring as shit' non shock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 
Son of a Reaperman

MaliA wrote:

Yeah, like who gives a fuck how the universe was created anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 
Gogmagog

Tmuk wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yeah, like who gives a fuck how the universe was created anyway?

Apologies, I should have suffixed that with "....as a spectator sport."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 
Son of a Reaperman

The amount of moronic comments flying around my office today is already getting my back up. Apparently it's a waste of money, and yet I don't see any of them bat an eyelid when footballers are bought and sold for £30m. >:(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:18 
Not to be confused with elbow

Now would be a good time as I've got a difficult customer today

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 
Excellent Member

Ugh. They have no poetry in their soul. Personally I'd rather have them worried about the end of alway than that reaction. It's going to uncover essential information about the universe!

Somehow this will only receive a buried article in all popular press, the front page probably dominated by something about a pervert.

Garn. Haven't checked the morning papers in the library yet. I bet I'm right. *Sigh*

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 
Son of a Reaperman

nervouspete wrote:
Ugh. They have no poetry in their soul. Personally I'd rather have them worried about the end of alway than that reaction. It's going to uncover essential information about the universe!

Somehow this will only receive a buried article in all popular press, the front page probably dominated by something about a pervert.

Garn. Haven't checked the morning papers in the library yet. I bet I'm right. *Sigh*

Front page of the Mirror is about Posh's new haircut. I wish I was making this up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Front page of *every* tabloid is Posh's new haircut, according to the Today programme this morning.

And we wonder why we're in the state we are today etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:35 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The front page of the metro was about perverts, if that's any help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:36 
Excellent Member

*destroys something*

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Frankly, I'd rather we blew taxpayers' money on stuff like the Large Hadron Collider than on the Olympics. As with space travel, there's that sense of wonder about the universe and our place in it which a £20 billion two week jamboree somewhat lacks. Not as sexy, I know, but the advancement of knowledge is, as far as I am concerned, a good thing.

That Rev Chap

It's quite a cute haircut though, to be fair.

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next