Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wii Fit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

Have we had a thread on this? Who knows, here goes.

c/o featured page, I saw this on YT today:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOLP1omM3s

From what I can gather, it looks like a load of cobblers, not only because it seems to wholly come down to, errr, the input from a 'balance board', but also because its going to be £70 and I can't foresee anyone using it for more than 10 minutes before getting bored. Not me, anyway.

Post subject: Re: Wii Fit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 
Comfortably Dumb

I'll probably be getting it but the £70 price tag is off-putting. Got a lot of other games to be getting on with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Well I don't think 'gamers' are the target audience for this. Both my sister and mother have expressed an interest in getting it once it is released (which would involve my mum getting a Wii in a addition to her DS).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:59 
Isn't that lovely?

I'll be getting it at some point, but then I also "need" a 4th Wiimote, 2 more Nunchucks, another classic controller, some more points, and a whole loads of games.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 13:00 

I just want a fucking Zapper. Why are they like hobby-horse shit?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 14:15 
Participant in dramatic games

second gamer my wife is buying us (after nintendogs, ehich she didn't like), she had bene looking for an easy-but-more-stiumlating-than-a-dvd way to sport, so she wants to give it a try.. expensive, but cheeper than the gym

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 15:49 
I forgot about this - how vain

I'll be honest. I like the look of it.

An interactive weighing scale to track my weight with cuddly Mii's? Yes please.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 15:52 
Sleepyhead

Will this thing make me Mii look bloated and fat if I stop exercising for a few weeks?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 18:08 
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Gamestation will no longer stock the Wii Fit as a solo product. For the foreseeable future, the Wii Fit will only be available in bundles. There are two bundles currently available:

* Wii Console + Wii Fit + 1GB SD Card - £249.89
* Wii Console + Wii Fit + 1GB SD Card + Any selected game - £249.89

Hmph.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 20:30 
Best
Board Mother

I wonder if they'll sell much of the first option.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 21:27 

RemovedByRequest wrote:
From what I can gather, it looks like a load of cobblers, not only because it seems to wholly come down to, errr, the input from a 'balance board', but also because its going to be £70 and I can't foresee anyone using it for more than 10 minutes before getting bored. Not me, anyway.

I bought this today. A couple of Saturdays ago I had a go on this at Mr. Dom's house with Mrs. Dom and Mrs. Governmentyard. My first impression was one of stoned befuddlement, I recall doing a hula hoop and thinking it's laid out in Nintendo's signature 'Brain Training' stylee with stamps for the date and shit. Then I left the birds to it and that youtube video 'why you should get your girlfriend Wii Fit' or whatever it was called eventually sprang to mind at they took it in turns to rotate their arses at me and Dom sat on the sofa. Mrs. Goatboy, who is a dancer by profession and an occasional (like, once every four years) 100%er of games who doesn't play at all otherwise, liked the Wii fit - she's had a good bit of fun out of the wii since I got it, but she's never really gotten into anything in particular by herself. Apart from AC on the GC where I lost my console until she had a fucking statue of herself. So our suspicions that it might be a good buy were confirmed thanks to Mrs and Mr Dom.

I've got a rule with these 'pre'orders - a word useless without a practical functon for 'postorder', which doesn't even exist. I've only ever done it with the original DS and only then because it was a honeymoon present to myself and I'd never stopped thinking about looking over someone's shoulder in Chorlton Chips a week after the Japanese launch and seeing Mario 64 on a game&watch style device. As a GBA owner, my brain melted. But with Wii Fit I stuck to my guns. On my guns I've got a little sticker which says "fuck Nintendo's horseshit distribution and manufacturing commitment, especially in Europe because they fucking hate us, their loyal fanboy customer scum". So for me, it is vapourware until I can wander into any given gameish shop and pick one off the shelf.

Today, Sainsbury's just off Newport Road in Cardiff had one on the shelf. I did a double-take. I stuck it on the credit card. It's good, after half an hour on it in private, sober. The Mii background integration is acebest, seamless as in most Wii titles by Nintendo. I was pissed off at doing well in everyithng up to the headers, where I got virtually fuck all, because it's a stupid shit minigame and I hate it. But then I noticed, as I failed finally, that the ref was my uncannily good Mii of Brett out of Suede. Happy again. I'll be wanting to go back to this because it feels like a physically extended BrainTraining for my back and beer baby. Which is what I secretly yearned for when I first played Brain Training. I can justify 15 minute's yoga in the morning if it means being able to beat a high-score before work.

We'll see how it pans out, but I'm slightly gald I spunked 70 notes on this. I've been using my wii for fuck all else anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:55 
Soopah red DS

I hope it works for you, man. I rarely go back to the mini games now, bar the occasional ski jump which even more occasionally draws me in to a penguin slide or a quick heading session (which is a bit pants).

But the yoga and muscle workouts are great, and now I'm injured and off the running I am even trying a bit of jogging. Which is a bit cack but not a complete disaster. The muscle exercises are, I think, postponing a decline that would otherwise have been bad due to my lack of cardio stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 17:33 

I still use Wii Fit. Well, my girlfriend's one. (She bought it at a local Woolworths, which before Woolies died, seemed to be the most reliable place to get Wii Fits.) It's a good package, I just wish there was more to do in Wii Fit itself, and more software that used the balance board. I mean, honestly, seeing as there's almost as much balance boards out there as PlayStation 3s, there should logically be more games available in time (Right?).

I recently borrowed Family Ski & Snowboarding from somewhere for a few days, and although it uses the balance board, it's not satisfying. Honestly, the skiing activities in Wii Fit 'feel' a lot better; they are limited, admittedly, but the sensation of skiing is actually there. Family Ski has really sponge-y, limp controls, just like a poorly-programmed Speccy covertape game, and the gameplay mechanism is as tedious as it gets - lean left and right on the balance board (avoiding the oversteer) and pump your arms forwards with the Wiimore and nunchuk to recreate 'skiing' movements. Very dull and repetitive.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]