Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:45 
baron of techno

(continued off the old forum here http://z9.invisionfree.com/SofaWorld_of ... st=0&#last )

Ste Pickford wrote:
kalmar wrote:
I've only seen the first episode of The Wire, none of the characters are really growing on me yet, and some of the acting seems a bit odd, but I'll give it time. I used to love NYPD Blue and Baltimore: Life on the Street anyway

It's not the best show at introducing itself, because it's so different to almost every other tv drama show.

It doesn't follow the TV cop show formula, or even the TV drama formula. It doesn't make the same concessions to the audience that we've grown used to as TV viewers - it doesn't spell things out, or neatly introduce characters, summing up what to expect from that character in the first few scenes, or signposting what's going to happen this episode. It doesn't even bother to tone down the jargon or the accents of the cops and the dealers - you have to develop your own ear for the (presumably) authentic language.

That might seem like arrogance, or even just bad TV the first time you watch it, and you might be forgiven for not continuing with it, but you must.

Once you get into it you start to think that every other show on TV is contrived and corny by comparison. You learn to love the way the characters are revealed slowly over several episodes, or even several series, and the way the plots don't neatly tie up at the end of each episode, or even at the end of each series.

Best TV drama I've ever seen (only up to mid way though series 3 on the FX channel re-runs).

I would just like to say that I totally agree with this assessment.
Got totally hooked after watching a couple more episodes and I'm now most of the way through season 1, just at the bit where.. well, they've been forced into doing a buy-bust and it's gone a bit wrong.
It's ace though isn't it.

Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 15:20 
Sleepyhead

kalmar wrote:
(continued off the old forum here http://z9.invisionfree.com/SofaWorld_of ... st=0&#last )

Ste Pickford wrote:
kalmar wrote:
I've only seen the first episode of The Wire, none of the characters are really growing on me yet, and some of the acting seems a bit odd, but I'll give it time. I used to love NYPD Blue and Baltimore: Life on the Street anyway

It's not the best show at introducing itself, because it's so different to almost every other tv drama show.

It doesn't follow the TV cop show formula, or even the TV drama formula. It doesn't make the same concessions to the audience that we've grown used to as TV viewers - it doesn't spell things out, or neatly introduce characters, summing up what to expect from that character in the first few scenes, or signposting what's going to happen this episode. It doesn't even bother to tone down the jargon or the accents of the cops and the dealers - you have to develop your own ear for the (presumably) authentic language.

That might seem like arrogance, or even just bad TV the first time you watch it, and you might be forgiven for not continuing with it, but you must.

Once you get into it you start to think that every other show on TV is contrived and corny by comparison. You learn to love the way the characters are revealed slowly over several episodes, or even several series, and the way the plots don't neatly tie up at the end of each episode, or even at the end of each series.

Best TV drama I've ever seen (only up to mid way though series 3 on the FX channel re-runs).

I would just like to say that I totally agree with this assessment.
Got totally hooked after watching a couple more episodes and I'm now most of the way through season 1, just at the bit where.. well, they've been forced into doing a buy-bust and it's gone a bit wrong.
It's ace though isn't it.

Yay!

It really is ace.

I just ordered series 4 from the interweb.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:25 
Excellent Member

Minor spoiler-question follows (it'll only spoil it if you haven't watched season 1 or 2)...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Can someone who's seen to the end of Season 1 explain what Carver did to aggravate Daniels and get himself back in uniform in season 2? I must have totally missed it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:48 
Excellent Member

I'm one episode off completing series one and I love it so much even though I'm very drunk I can't rush it - though I have the box sets. Needless to say, it's the bestest new series since Sgt. Bilko, fuckin' true.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:31 
making out to faces of death

tigertiger wrote:
Minor spoiler-question follows (it'll only spoil it if you haven't watched season 1 or 2)...

Can someone who's seen to the end of Season 1 explain what Carver did to aggravate Daniels and get himself back in uniform in season 2? I must have totally missed it.

He took a sergeant detail in another district, which happened to be a uniform post. A promotion, basically.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 20:25 
Excellent Member

A friend of mine put it rather well - The Wire is a complicated show. But not complicated in that it does anything clever with the medium or has deeply buried subtexts, it's just complicated in that it says "shut the fuck up and PAY ATTENTION" - which makes a nice change for a TV show.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:51 
Sleepyhead

I have received the fourth season on DVD, and watched the first episode. For anyone who has seen it, the first scene in the whole thing is absolutely hilarious. :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 21:47 

Never heard of this programme until seeing this thread the other day (I thought it was talking about the band), just been round to my friends for a cuppa and she was ranting about how I had to see it. Wish me luck, bit torrent here I come!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 22:21 
Sleepyhead

pupil wrote:
Never heard of this programme until seeing this thread the other day (I thought it was talking about the band), just been round to my friends for a cuppa and she was ranting about how I had to see it. Wish me luck, bit torrent here I come!

Just sitting down to watch some more of Season Four.

Remember when you watch it that you need to be patient and it takes a while to work out what is going on... but once you've worked it out; gold.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 0:47 
Excellent Member

pupil wrote:

Enjoy! But buy the box set. Honestly, they genuinely deserve it. :luv:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 

I'm going to bump this thread by saying I finished watching season 1 last night, and it is indeed the best TV I've seen in a long time. Thanks Pete :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:43 

*avoids reading thread (spoiler avoidance)*

man I love this series.

Am up to episode 6 of series 2.

Omar is blatantly the best character.

still think I prefer The Shield but both are superb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:50 

There are so many amazing characters in this series, its really hard to pick a favourite, but yeah, Omar is brilliant, he has such incredible lines and the greatest delivery of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 
Hibernating Druid

How do I go about making one of you send me all episodes of it as high quality AVI files?

I've heard so many great things about this show. I needs it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:05 

Zardoz wrote:
How do I go about making one of you send me all episodes of it as high quality AVI files?

Unlucky, I just deleted S1 off my computer last night, but can't you use bit torrent, they're all on there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:14 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:

I could feasibly post the DVDs...

I am currently seven episodes into Season Four

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:18 
lazy eye patch

I wonder if it might be worth saying though that if you're going to watch The Wire, you might want to watch The Shield first, which is a less cerebral, more actiony take on things, but still quite similar, really. And also awesome, and OMG Forest Whittaker!!! But if you were to watch it after The Wire, it might seem a bit lacking in detail and stuff. Which can be the problem with gorging on quality TV. It's like doing one huge shop in the most expensive brands and product ranges, at the finest supermarkets, and then going back to just 'regular' Sainsburys the week after.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:21 
Hibernating Druid

CUS wrote:
I wonder if it might be worth saying though that if you're going to watch The Wire, you might want to watch The Shield first, which is a less cerebral

wot u sayin abowt me! Iz not thikky.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:23 
Hibernating Druid

Pupil - Gah! Nevermind

Curiosity - Hmm, might take you up on that offer. If it was an offer. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:24 
lazy eye patch

Look at the bit I edited in about going back to only 'good' food after gorging on expensive indulgencies. The Shield is, in my opinion, a really good show that is well worth watching before The Wire, since I reckon it'd seem a bit 'lacking' if you were to see it afterwards.

Plus, it means that if you find The Shield too much hard work, you can quit before embarassing yourself on The Wire, which is all metapforic innit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:27 

The Wire has spoiled other TV for me, where everything is wrapped up in a convenient 43 minute slice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:27 
Hibernating Druid

Ok CUS. Send me The Shield first mate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:28 
lazy eye patch

I don't have it to send you. Oo, but I do have I think some of the later ones that I could send... maybe... maybe. Got some 'stuff' anyway I could mebbe send . :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:34 

Zardoz wrote:

I've got them all mate, if you have an external drive just bring it round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:49 
Hibernating Druid

DONE.

The rest of you are rubbish, apart from Curiosity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 0:55 
Excellent Member

I watched The Shield and The Wire intertwined as they aired and never had a problem. The Shield is actually somewhat grittier but deals more with the day-to-day, down on the street policework, while The Wire tends to hover higher up taking in the big picture. The Shield is also very fast-paced while The Wire is glacial.

Got the entire last season of The Wire still to watch. Final season of The Shield should be airing in September.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:27 

Finally finished the whole thing yesterday.

Huge Wire-shaped gap in my life now.

Also,

Curiosity wrote:
I have received the fourth season on DVD, and watched the first episode. For anyone who has seen it, the first scene in the whole thing is absolutely hilarious. :luv:

very much THIS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:36 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Huge Wire-shaped gap in my life now.

:this: :'( still.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:41 
Excellent Member

At least David Simon and Ed Burns have been busy since The Wire. There's Generation Kill which is set in Iraq, that's supposed to be good and shouldn't be too long 'till it hits our shores. And it looks like they're going ahead with a series set in post Katrina New Orleans, about the rebuilding of the city, the usual society and political hi-jinks and lots and lots and lots about the music down there.

Can't wait, personally. Meanwhile why not revist early Homicide: Life on the Street, David Simon's earlier great work. (Until about season 4.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:57 
Sleepyhead

I'm currently (well, not right now, but, y'know) watching Series Five on FX. It's ace, but I have a feeling that Bad Things are going to happen, and also I know that every glorious, beautiful episode brings me one hour closer to not having any more to watch.

:'(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 15:03 

Yeah, I was gutted when it ended but don't worry, it's a lot better than the end of the fucking Sopranos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 15:09 

An American chum has pre-ordered season 5 (out tomorrow) from amazon.com on my behalf and is going to post it to me. :kiss:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 15:13 

Some American chums of mine posted it down my telephone wires about six months ago. So nerr.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 15:16 

OK, but this isn't stealing the food out of the mouths of wee babies.

Someone think of the babies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 14:59 

I finished watching this at the weekend. Ooh it was good, wasn't it? And everything nicely finished up (or not so nicely I guess, depending on who it was).

Omar. :( But it had to be that way. You can't come back and step to without getting lit up. I was strangely happy when Snoop's ambush got turned round on her. She was a great character, but damn, bitch was *cold*, she needed to get got fo'real.

Yay Bubbles! My favourite guy, and he's doing ok. But aww, Duke is going into his footsteps, for no good reason than being too weak to be in a gang, too poor to stay off the corners and in school.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:07 

Acey,

mo spoilers mo problemz

Omar's death saddened me. It seemed cheap but you're right, it had to be that way.

I loved the Snoop scene and Michael's remergence as the new Omar. 'How my hair look Mike?'... ahhh.

Dukey saddened me, I was bored to tears of Bubbles in s4 but he was better in s5.

Would like to have seen Levy and Marlo get their comeuppances.

Carcetti was disappointing. Daniels being forced out was annoying. I love Rhonda. She's so foxy in a wrong way.

Cheese's death was enjoyable. Prop Joe's less so. That was pretty dark. Marlo never convinced me though as a character. Never felt real. That corner scene at the end wasn't enough.

Chris Partlow was immense throughout.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:09 

I was so glad they've gave Bubbles a happy ending, when his sister finally let him upstairs I properly :'( :'( :'( :'(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:13 
Isn't that lovely?

I really need to get round to watching the last series, I watched the first 4 pretty much back to back, and I think I wired myself out, but I've not watched any for a while now, I'm in the middle of watching Angel/Buffy tho, so I'll wait until I've watched all of them.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:23 

The Wire season five is only 10 episodes (I think episode ten is a long'un though).

More spoils:

Chris was great. I mean he was a total git, but he had an almost military approach. I don't think Marlo got off at all- that scene "Nigga do you know who you talkin' to?" shows how he lost. He lost his name when he let Omar become a folk hero, when he ran everything through his hitman lieutenants- Barksdale was more of a family man, Prop Joe was another with a name people knew and they both had respect, or even "love" from the streets. Marlo only had strength when he was feared, and without it he was nothing. He can't establish his name again, because of the court case threat. All he can do is walk away, or let Levy or the other suits bleed his money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:57 
That Rev Chap

Well, this finished last night on FX.

I've been watching it every Monday night for the last year, since they started showing it again from the beginning of season one.

I'm going to miss it. I think it's probably the best TV show ever. If not it's up there. Regardless, it's probably my favourite.

I'm going to have to get the DVD box sets some time, so I can relive it. I hope they've got some commentaries on them.

What I really want, though, is a big, fat companion book. Something about 1,200 pages long going into immense detail about the show, the actors, the crew and the world it's all set in. That would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 
Time Out for Fun

I would like a big 1200 word companion book aswell since Im doing me dissertation on it this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 13:39 
That Rev Chap

My God. I'm just thinking about The Wire today and can't concentrate on anything else. I'm scrabbling around watching documentaries on YouTube about it, reading the bios on HBO.com and stuff.

I think I've become truly obsessed now that it's over and I don't have to be on spoiler watch.

BEST. (i.e. Favourite.) SHOW. (That I've seen.) EVER.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 23:46 
Worst

Apols for posting in an old thread, but I just finished it.

Watched 2.5 seasons on FX a few years ago, but fell out of the game. Some of you know I've not been fully well the last week or so. I decided, then, to get back into the Wire. Watched seasons 3, 4 and 5 inbetween sleeping and illing. So much to say! But before I do - I don't need to bother with spoiler tags, right? I mean, when I didn't want Wire spoilers, I just didn't click up in this shit.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 
baron of techno

Aww, my old thread from so long ago :'(

Spoilers; has anyone not seen it yet, and wants to?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 

Just put "spoilers allowed freely" in the thread title.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:36 

I have recently "purchased" this and intend to watch it soon, but I think spoilers for something this old are to be expected so I'll keep out of here.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Me and Mrs T are currently in the middle of the season 2 lull, need to get back into it, but I find season 2 a chore all the way until near the end.
(I've seen it all, this is Mrs T's first time)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:48 
Sleepyhead

The Season 2 Lull, aka any time Nick's girlfriend has her top on.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 17:59 
Worst

I loved season 2. It was like David Simon heard people praising how unglamorous s1 was, and made sure none of the drug kingpin stuff was going to get glamorised, New Jack City-style, and set that shit on the docks. Managed to both test the weekend warriors ('you want unglamorous?') and also shine a light on themes that aren't getting too much TV play, like the death of the unions, and a taste of Misha Glenny territory in the human trafficking. And there was still development on the towers storyline! Fucking brilliant.

But not as good as 3. I'll save that for another post.

Everyone noticed how the theme tune performance echoes the feel of each season?

S1: Black dudes
S2: Fading, old white dude.
S3: Back to black, but this time new dudes.
S4: Young teens.
S5: Middle aged white dude.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 15:07 
Best
Board Mother

Just watched the end of season 4 last night, I was starting to like/feel sorry for Stringer too. :(

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next