Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 614  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 14:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Interesting video showing how much car safety has improved over the last fifty years.

Crikey, the way the older car just sort of vaporises is quite sobering, the crash test dummy inside it doesn't seem to fare too well.

It's amazing how much safety gubbins modern cars are loaded with, god knows how much it costs to build it all in, and of course you're hoping you'll never need any of it!

There should be an option to forgo it all in favour of a really wicked stereo system, but you're on your own in a crash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 15:21 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
markg wrote:
It looks like it's been resprayed, badly.

Well having done a bit of research into it, despite the stated year of that CL500 (Nov '02) it's actually the pre-update model, and it was revamped in Sept '02, so I'm guessing it was registered in Nov '02 but built before Sept '02.

By all accounts you definitely want the updated CL500, as not only does it look better, it gets a much updated centre console with widescreen sat-nav and suchlike, a better interior and so on.

Also, as a pre-update model that CL500 is seriously overpriced, despite the low miles on it.

Not even worth a test drive, basically.

Doesn't the MPG put you off? This would do 15 maybe on a good day??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 15:55 
Decapodian

That just smooshed! I know US cars were fairly unsafe but that's really bad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 15:56 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:
Doesn't the MPG put you off? This would do 15 maybe on a good day??

I like to think I'd be able to manage 20mpg, which wouldn't be a million miles off what I used to get out of the Scooby.

Mind you it would be ruinous on tax and servicing and all that shit, and even though car insurance is mega-cheap on the IOM I'm sure I'd still get properly whacked with a car like a CL500.

I am coming up to 40 though, so I need a midlife crisis of some sort.

I've been having a poke around on Autotrader and £10K gets you a really nice CL500 from 2004/2005 with under 50K on it and a fully sorted Merc history.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 16:03 
Excellent Member

Thats better that I thought, a guy that works for me has an M5 V12 5 litre and only comes to work once a week in it due to the MPG, another guy who works for me has a DB9

I drive a Skoda Octavia something is very wrong here :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 16:36 

asfish wrote:
Thats better that I thought, a guy that works for me has an M5 V12 5 litre and only comes to work once a week in it due to the MPG

Tish, pshaw, and all that. I'm lucky if I get 14mpg out of my M5 (V10 by the way, not V12) but it doesn't put me off commuting!

Although, having said that, I've only got a 3.5 mile journey into work in the morning - I guess it'd be a different story if I had to travel a longer distance.

AE: Insurance probably won't be that bad, I'm only paying £600 a year on the M5, and that's with full NCB for a 30 year old.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 16:40 

Don't think I posted this here by the way, new exhaust went on just after the Cott4ge I think, but I didn't get around to making a video until a week or so ago:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 18:28 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
AE: Insurance probably won't be that bad, I'm only paying £600 a year on the M5, and that's with full NCB for a 30 year old.

Yes the Scooby was under £300 fully comp and that was a Group 40 IIRC, so I suppose there's no reason to assume the CL500 would be more.

I've got full NCB and I'm an old fucker too, and my speeding conviction has lapsed now as well :D

(Seriously, what kind of dumb fuck gets done for speeding on an island where there's no national speed limit.....)

Hmmm Parkers says the Scooby was Group 42 so maybe the CL500 would actually be cheaper :D - http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/f ... 005/32937/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 18:30 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Don't think I posted this here by the way, new exhaust went on just after the Cott4ge I think, but I didn't get around to making a video until a week or so ago:

Your neighbours must love you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:10 
Full of plumptiousness

I'm strongly favouring a new MkVII Golf. I met with a sales advisor at my local VW dealership on Saturday who gave me the hard sell, of course. Otherwise he was very friendly and knowledgeable and I'm 97% sure I will go with the 1.4 TSI SE five door model.

If I buy the car on finance, is it still appropriate to negotiate on price first or do you think it is not negotiable? What about with personal finance options?

Any other words of wisdom around buying a new car direct from the dealership? I've not done this before. Any help would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:13 
Eggcellent Member

GazChap wrote:

Ace!

In other news, problems with the S6 have started! None too ruinous (although I'm yet to get to Audi to find out) but looks like sender in the fuel tank has gone as the fuel needle is stuck on empty.

Drivers side central locking no longer works, although it'll open with the key.

But the real arse clenchingly scary one is the the engine management light was flashing the other morning on start up. Not come back on yet but I know it's only a matter of time. Should probably get hold of a reader and see if there're some codes I can pull off it. But I'll probably get it in to Audi over the next week and see what they say.

I've had my fun with it anyway so it'll probably end up getting sold in the next few months.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:15 
Eggcellent Member

Hugh wrote:
If I buy the car on finance, is it still appropriate to negotiate on price first or do you think it is not negotiable? What about with personal finance options?

Definitely haggle. Either on the price or the finance rate. The sales guy has some discretion on these two things. Don't be put off by how you're financing it, you're still the customer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hugh wrote:
I'm strongly favouring a new MkVII Golf. I met with a sales advisor at my local VW dealership on Saturday who gave me the hard sell, of course. Otherwise he was very friendly and knowledgeable and I'm 97% sure I will go with the 1.4 TSI SE five door model.

Any other words of wisdom around buying a new car direct from the dealership? I've not done this before. Any help would be gratefully received.

Haggle like Hell - they desperately want you to buy on finance, and you can get some serious discounts. Then, if you can, pay it off straight away. Gaywood did this once, so he's the man to ask.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Annoyingly, Gaywood is the man to ask for almost anything. Other than to get stuff down off the top shelf for you.

Buying cars is one of the last things where it is not only acceptable but pretty much expected for you to haggle over the price.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:36 
Decapodian

Hugh wrote:

Yes, you should absolutely negotiate on price. Get a quote from Carfile.net and carwow, and then take them with you and demand they match them. Not all dealers will do so, so be prepared to walk away and buy elsewhere.

Three out of the four skoda dealers I tried weren't playing nicely. The fourth was so I bought from them. Talking of skoda, have a look at the Octavia. You'll get a top spec Elegance for the price of a Golf SE, and it's got more room too.

One last thing - the VAG finance deals end and may change for better or worse with the calendar year, plus the dealer will have a quarterly target to beat so you might find them very keen to deal now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 21:44 
Full of plumptiousness

Ah, so. I wasn't sure if was possible unless buying outright. I like a good haggle and will surely wear my most powerful haggling pants come the day.

Thanks.

The 'on the road' price is £20,135 with the vanilla set of options. What Car list a target price of £18,462, which sounds about where I would have pitched it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 22:00 
Decapodian

Hugh wrote:
Ah, so. I wasn't sure if was possible unless buying outright. I like a good haggle and will surely wear my most powerful haggling pants come the day.

Thanks.

The 'on the road' price is £20,135 with the vanilla set of options. What Car list a target price of £18,462, which sounds about where I would have pitched it.

Carfile.net will do you one for under £18k. Skoda have a 12% profit margin for the dealer and on a good day that's the achievable discount, so it looks like VW are the same.

Skoda have a 0% finance offer on at the mo which halves the available discount/margin but no such bargains with VW.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 22:03 
Full of plumptiousness

Cheers for that. I have set the carwow thingy in motion and checked Carfile. All good ammo.

I'm not interested in a Skoda but did include them in my initial decision making process.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:40 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
Hugh wrote:

Haggle like Hell - they desperately want you to buy on finance, and you can get some serious discounts. Then, if you can, pay it off straight away. Gaywood did this once, so he's the man to ask.

I also did this.

Just approach it completely straight faced, and play it like you're getting the finance all the way, and get what discounts you can.

Then, after a period that you feel comfortable ring the phone number on the finance documentation and ask for an early settlement quote. Then pay it.

If you're feeling particularly sneaky then say you're paying the deposit by debit card.
Go all the way through the transaction on the computer, then pull out your credit card. The salesman will um and ahh due to the percentage transaction fee they will have to pay, but then you're all like "Oh, I thought I had my debit card. Can I not put in on my credit card anyway? Only I'll have to go and get some cash out, and it's getting late and I'll have to come back next week" (after month end when your sales targets reset).

Then you can collect the cashback deal on your credit card as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Haha, score!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 
Decapodian

Skoda have an offer on with three years free servicing worth about £500 when you buy on finance, so quite a few people have been doing that and then terminating the agreement after a few days. They paid about £20 in interest and got to keep the free services.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 13:51 
Full of plumptiousness

Dr Skodaberg, more like.

:hat:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 13:53 
Decapodian

Hugh wrote:
Dr Skodaberg, more like.

:hat:

This will be my third after five years in a Fiat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 14:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Wow, the in-car shot of that crash video is scary - steering column to the face! ( and presumably engine block to the knee ). How quick were those cars going? I can't judge speed like that at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 22:53 
Sitting balls-back folder

Sounds much better now gaz.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

A new BMW M135i for £260 a month on a 2 year lease, 10000 miles PA.

That's a bit bloody tempting!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:55 

Isn't it just. I've been looking at those, as it's a significantly smaller sum than the loan payment on the M5 and it'd be much better on fuel... but it's only a lease :/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 13:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Isn't it just. I've been looking at those, as it's a significantly smaller sum than the loan payment on the M5 and it'd be much better on fuel... but it's only a lease :/

I have no issue with leasing, especially for a new car. It's £6k over 2 years, which will be significantly less than the depreciation I expect...

Good timing on this deal though, as the XJR did the failsafe mode thing yesterday again when I started it, so it might be time to move it on. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Good timing on this deal though, as the XJR did the failsafe mode thing yesterday again when I started it, so it might be time to move it on. :D

/perks up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

/perks up

Even though it may be the start of it dying again :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:11 

Trooper wrote:

Shit, really?
You got a link for that actual deal please mate?

Love these; how anyone can even think about a bloody Golf GTI when these exist, for this sort of cash, I will never ever know. RWD, proper BMW 6-cyl engine, vastly superior performance and handling... together with the super little Fiesta ST, this is my fave hot hatch.

And you know, apart from all that, it's a BMW.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cavey wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Shit, really?
You got a link for that actual deal please mate?

Love these; how anyone can even think about a bloody Golf GTI when these exist, for this sort of cash, I will never ever know. RWD, proper BMW 6-cyl engine, vastly superior performance and handling... together with the super little Fiesta ST, this is my fave hot hatch.

And you know, apart from all that, it's a BMW.

Here you go :)

http://www.gateway2lease.com/z_bmw_m135 ... sa2OmRdU0E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:14 

Thanks very much mate, awesome. :)

Stupid question: How does one get the much lower business lease rate, if not putting the payment through a business please mate? You mentioned the lower payment amount. (Or, if putting through a business, does it then become a pool car/company car etc. and thereby attracting tax)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

/perks up

I look forward to factoring that into negotiations. I'll be stripping the engine out anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cavey wrote:

Stupid question: How does one get the much lower business lease rate, if not putting the payment through a business please mate? You mentioned the lower payment amount. (Or, if putting through a business, does it then become a pool car/company car etc. and thereby attracting tax)

The personal rate is £260 a month. The business rate is even cheaper at £215 a month :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:21 

Trooper wrote:
Cavey wrote:

The personal rate is £260 a month. The business rate is even cheaper at £215 a month :)

Doh! Soz mate, I'll go back to sleep. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

/perks up

I look forward to factoring that into negotiations. I'll be stripping the engine out anyway.

Interesting.

The failsafe mode could be the throttle body again or an air leak I suspect, or just as likely the electronics doing their Jaguar thing :D So I guess it all depends on what bits of the engine you really want. Is this to go in the tomcat?

I'll most likley bung it on ebay with no reserve if I do get rid, and i'd hope to get around £1500 for it, I expect. But feel free to try and stop that happening ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Interesting details on that lease deal. 24 months! £260 a month! Payment profile 6+23 months! So, er, not £260 a month for 24 months then. £1560 + £260 a month for 23 months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras Kringle wrote:
Interesting details on that lease deal. 24 months! £260 a month! Payment profile 6+23 months! So, er, not £260 a month for 24 months then. £1560 + £260 a month for 23 months.

Yeah, it's slightly dodgy :D Most lease companies do 3 months deposit, not 6.

Even with that it is a cracking deal though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 14:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
So I guess it all depends on what bits of the engine you really want. Is this to go in the tomcat?

Yeah, the engine and gearbox should bolt straight onto the power train.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 15:06 

Cras Kringle wrote:

Still one hell of a deal, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

Delivery in March apparently, and the cost rises quite a bit if you want any options at all, unless you buy the options up front.

I think when I do get rid of the XJR it'll be for something second hand in the £6-8k region.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:52 

Don't want a Celica GT-Four do you? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 17:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:

:D

My current thoughts are either L322 Range Rover or E65 7 Series...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 18:10 

Get a later one if you go E65, the earlier ones were notorious for issues and niggles, and the one I had was no exception.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 18:22 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Forester XT. Awd like a gallardo, but classier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 18:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Forester XT. Awd like a gallardo, but classier.

My dad had one a few years back, it was pretty great :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 18:01 

Some fucking arse in a chavved up Saxo VTR has just gone into the back of me, my exhaust is now hanging off and the back bumper (whilst mostly undamaged by the looks) is peppered with scratches and shit.

All I fucking need.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 18:03 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
Some fucking arse in a chavved up Saxo VTR has just gone into the back of me, my exhaust is now hanging off and the back bumper (whilst mostly undamaged by the looks) is peppered with scratches and shit.

All I fucking need.

Shit, you ok? Did they stop?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 18:07 

Yeh, he stopped. Got photos and his details, and he is insured (police confirmed that for me when they turned up to help get me off the road and clear the debris) so hopefully this'll be relatively painless.

Reply to topic  [ 30686 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 357, 358 ... 614  Next