And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: SteamOS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:24 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
Steam is coming to a new operating system
As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Sounds good!

Post subject: Re: SteamOS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:55 
Awesome
Yes

What's a living room machine?

My xbox?
My telly?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 21:05 

I don't know, I thought I was being dumb and hoped someone would tell me!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 21:37 
Excellent Member

The streaming idea's an interesting one as it means anyone with a decent spec gaming machine doesn't have to find room for the thing in their living room to be able to play 'full' games. It does mean though that (a) you need to have a separate PC of some kind that's relatively capable to run SteamOS which is obviously extra expense and (b) your network needs to be up to the job of streaming games in full res with no input lag or whatever to make this worth while. I mention the latter point simply because I've no idea what kind of bandwidth is required for that proper experience as I've never done anything like that, it's possible it's a total non-issue.

The idea of SteamOS as a completely separate platform that games will be targetted at I'm really not buying though. Developers already need to build games for Xbox/PS3/Windows plus potential other 'secondary' platforms (OSX, Linux, Vita, 3DS, WiiU, iOS, Android, etc) so who the hell wants yet another platform to build and test for? Especially when the majority of the people that would go in for this kind of thing are almost certainly going to have the Windows machine required to play games anyway. If we were starting from scratch in terms of PC gaming then yeah, some flavour of bare-bones Linux with no MS involvement would probably be a great idea; but we're not at that stage so getting the market share to get the adoption to get the market share would be so painful I just can't see it happening for them. Valve aren't idiots though of course so no doubt they see, or think they see, something I'm missing...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 22:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's what confuses me. With a steam Os, you might expect to be able to play all your favourite games. But in 90%+ of cases, you won't be able to. Steam's greatest asset is its game library, which this totally fails to make use of. Weird.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 22:48 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Cras wrote:
That's what confuses me. With a steam Os, you might expect to be able to play all your favourite games. But in 90%+ of cases, you won't be able to. Steam's greatest asset is its game library, which this totally fails to make use of. Weird.

Unless (as some have speculated) that its a very small box that plugs into the TV which is running this and it streams from your bigger PC elsewhere

They have also said there are multiple steam announcements this week and this is just the first

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 

It seems to imply it runs on a smart TV or something equally small, there is no mention of having to buy an extra box or anything like that to run it.

I am not especially fussed as I don't have any "living room machines", but I am pretty interested to see what comes of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:52 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
It seems to imply it runs on a smart TV or something equally small, there is no mention of having to buy an extra box or anything like that to run it.

I don't get that from it at all and it seems very unlikely to me; you're going to need an actual PC of some kind here, something that can have a new OS installed on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 
Unpossible!

So it's Onlive for the home, then?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:07 
Participant in dramatic games

zaphod79 wrote:
Cras wrote:

Unless (as some have speculated) that its a very small box that plugs into the TV which is running this and it streams from your bigger PC elsewhere

They have also said there are multiple steam announcements this week and this is just the first

Isn't that what the top left corner says ? run steam as you always did on pc?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 

So either it's a whole new platform, which is doomed in the face of next generation consoles, or it's for playing PC games on a telly, which also seems a shit idea since for the majority you would need to have a keyboard and mouse on your lap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:56 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
So either it's a whole new platform, which is doomed in the face of next generation consoles, or it's for playing PC games on a telly, which also seems a shit idea since for the majority you would need to have a keyboard and mouse on your lap.

It's both: it's definitely a new OS in it's own right, some flavour of Linux as it says right there on the page, but one of the main features is streaming games from another machine running Steam (e.g. your Windows PC somewhere else in the house).

I don't think the controller thing's an issue as long as you stick with games that can be played using a controller; which is 100% of cross-platform games and a shedload of the PC exclusive stuff as well. I'd say it's definitely the minority of games you'd need a keyboard and mouse for. The only question there for me is whether they can get the Xbox controller running with it as that's what people tend to prefer but given that I can plug one into my Nexus tablet and it Just Works I'm assuming that's not a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:01 
Excellent Member

Reading through that page again it seems I, somewhat embarrassingly, missed this entire section:

Quote:
Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

So they're outright promising that 'proper' games are already being written specifically for the platform itself. I'm still sceptical but I'll be interested to see what these 'AAA' games are they're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:09 

Half Life 3. If they fancied setting the cat amongst the pigeons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 
Unpossible!

AAA games are from Liverpool.

Calm down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:16 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:

That would certainly sell the thing and that idea's been floated for precisely that reason but (a) I don't believe Valve would be mental enough to release it for a single niche platform as they'd be leaving so very, very much money on the table in doing so and (b) I don't believe HL3 will ever see the light of day as it's been too long since the last one and the expectation is now such that no game could actually be good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
I don't believe HL3 will ever see the light of day as it's been too long since the last one and the expectation is now such that no game could actually be good enough.

I'm just quoting this for the future.... There's no way that there won't be a Half Life 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:20 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I don't believe HL3 will ever see the light of day as it's been too long since the last one and the expectation is now such that no game could actually be good enough.

I'm just quoting this for the future.... There's no way that there won't be a Half Life 2.

I can't disagree with that. :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 

Bamba wrote:
markg wrote:

That would certainly sell the thing and that idea's been floated for precisely that reason but (a) I don't believe Valve would be mental enough to release it for a single niche platform as they'd be leaving so very, very much money on the table in doing so and (b) I don't believe HL3 will ever see the light of day as it's been too long since the last one and the expectation is now such that no game could actually be good enough.

Yeah, it would be funny, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah... That'll be someone talking in my ear at work while I'm typing. :belm:

It's fair to say that my mind is elsewhere this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Streaming games takes not much bandwidth and virtually no power from the client PC, as Onlive proved. That works well with a 10Mb connection, so a 100Mb or 1Gb connection should be fine, and all the client does is display pre-rendered media, so it needs no power at all.

Of course, if games are coming out specifically for SteamOS then it will need a bunch of power. It's odd, because on they're trying to do two different things that need quite different boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:04 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Of course, if games are coming out specifically for SteamOS then it will need a bunch of power. It's odd, because on they're trying to do two different things that need quite different boxes.

I'm presuming it's to drive adoption for the period when there's much less available natively on SteamOS and while people still have a big library of Windows only games. If they ever got to a point when all new stuff was coming out directly on SteamOS then you could just have a single machine but until then they need a 'bridge' of sorts and this is it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Bamba wrote:
Reading through that page again it seems I, somewhat embarrassingly, missed this entire section:

Quote:
Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

So they're outright promising that 'proper' games are already being written specifically for the platform itself. I'm still sceptical but I'll be interested to see what these 'AAA' games are they're talking about.

I guess they're just counting any game listed as 'Linux' on the current steam page.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:56 
Excellent Member

Pod wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Quote:

I guess they're just counting any game listed as 'Linux' on the current steam page.

Your list is almost entirely stuff that already works on Linux and very little of it's what could be called 'AAA'. The quote right up there is:

Quote:
Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014

So probably not.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]