Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: History of World War 2 podcast
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 19:52 
Ready for action

I've always been vaguely ashamed of how little I actually know about world war 2. I've seen a couple of documentaries recently, one about direct descendants of the main players in the Nazi regime and how they cope with their grandfathers/fathers legacies and another on recently called 'Spying on Hitlers Army', about a surveillance operation on Nazi high ranking POWs.
Both of these documetaries increased my interest in learning the events of WW2 and I discovered this podcast recently. It's really amazing, each chapter is about 30-60minutes long and it starts before the Nazi party has even came to power, going over the politics before war ever breaks out. It's engaging and detailed while always keeping your interest and I would really recommend it.
The guy also recommends some audio books at the start of each episode as well as on his website that I think I might get.
Has anyone else listened to it, or can they recommend a good book or documentary that is easy to get hold of? I am considering looking into getting the Laurence Olivier one (World at War is it?). I know it is shown on one of the documentary channels regulary, but I'd like to watch it chronologically if possible.
I'm amazed at how much I've learned so far. The episode I'm on right now has just announced the evacuation order for Dunkirk has been approved.

Post subject: Re: History of World War 2 podcast
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 20:15 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

World at war DVD box set was frequently very cheap in the HMV sale. Not sure if new HMV have similar offers but worth a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 20:27 
Ready for action

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
World at war DVD box set was frequently very cheap in the HMV sale. Not sure if new HMV have similar offers but worth a look.

Oh that's a good shout, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:21 

Sounds good. Is it just called 'History of WW2' or should I be looking for one by a particular author?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 14:21 
Ready for action

The History of World War II by Ray Harris Jnr. I'm tempted to put the tennis off and listen to it just now!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]