Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Xbox one thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 19:43 
Excellently Membered

I think I'm happy to wait this one out a little while. I'm not a huge fan of either. MS made a good job of things until everything was covered in adverts and Sony leaves me feeling a bit cold like watching an East 17 video. Also not happy with the current predicament. However I'm starting to wonder how much of it is down to my old aged grumpyness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 22:05 
Paws for thought

I suppose one question is whether your room is big enough for you to be Goro the controller. Because you know they're going to ram it in places where it shouldn't be (See vaguely relevant sixaxis spurious controls: Uncharteds arse grenade aiming controls, Killzones 2 even more pointless twirl-a-controller to unlock doors etc etc)

One of the most offputting things is the ~1 minute delay the xbox takes before showing the dashboard every time I turn it on now while it pisses around on the internet. I can do without that. and the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 22:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The U-turn has actually made me reconsider my pre-order. Sorry, Microsoft!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 22:24 

@Dave: E3 reports were that the higher resolution and much wider angle Kinect lens means it needs a much smaller room now. I've not seen any actual numbers, but the estimates were that it was a big difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 22:27 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Still doesn't suit me, I don't have, nor want, my xbox in front of me.

edit, I realise I am probably in the minority of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 22:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:
Still doesn't suit me, I don't have, nor want, my xbox in front of me.

The Kinect is separate to the Xbox - my 360 is in a cupboard, the Kinect under the TV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 

The cable isn't long enough for people with projectors who have the AV stack behind the TV, however. I've heard other people complain about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 

Latest rumour (and it is just a rumour): the family sharing feature was just a time limited demo.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598291

Quote:
When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour...When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game... The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn’t need to be erased when they purchase the full game!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 
EvilTrousers

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Latest rumour (and it is just a rumour)

The thing is now with the way Microsoft have handled it I will believe practically anything some internet maniac suggests about them.

Quote:
MS Insider now saying that Kinect incorporates Kryptonian Laser Eye technology that can be used to roast you where you sit if you mention Sony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Latest rumour (and it is just a rumour): the family sharing feature was just a time limited demo.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598291

Quote:
When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour...When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game... The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn’t need to be erased when they purchase the full game!

Doesn't make any sense.
If this was the case, why limit it to games libraries you've been given access to.
Also, a timed demo that then prompts you to buy the game is pretty much an ad, last time I checked, Microsoft sure did like their ads, and there's no reason any of the changes mean they still couldn't do this, so why get rid of it.
If this was their general policy for demos, it would make more sense (again though, why get rid of it).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 

Joans wrote:
Doesn't make any sense.
The only thing it explains for me is why MS didn't make a big deal about explaining the family plan sharing. It was an obvious counterbalance to the DRM, so if it was a great new feature you'd assume MS would shout about it from the rooftops from the earliest opportunity. Instead, we got mumbled, contradictory, vague statements. The only explanation I can come up with for that was that the family plan sharing wasn't anywhere near as good as people were assuming it was (like the fevered dream of splitting the cost of your new games with nine other people and all playing at once).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:22 

In that interview you posted the Microsoft bloke stated quite clearly, rather than mumbled, that you would be able to "check a game out" from a family member's library and play it. If it was time limited why would they even have some sort of check out system?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:25 

He also said you couldn't just flick a switch to turn the DRM off, though, as it was irremovably baked into the console.

edit --

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 

That's the type of bullshit and spin I'd expect from any exec trapped in a corner, but just making up nice features that don't even exist? I wouldn't be surprised if they were still negotiating the details of some of this stuff even as they were announcing it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 
Sitting balls-back folder

markg wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they were still making up the details of some of this stuff even as they were announcing it, though.
It's always more efficient, from an engineering perspective, to let the salespeople invent on the fly and then begin design. They're going to make shit up irrespective, so why bother writing the specs beforehand?

Or is that just the industry I work in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:35 
Excellently Membered

No no! It's the norm. We once sold a few million pound complete system to a well known retailer. Only problem was it hadn't even been built at that point.

With Microsoft they just didn't seem to have a clear vision other than it makes them more money. If they could have defined it better it would have been easier to sell but they couldn't even explain the upside well enough while the downsides were perfectly obvious.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:17 

An Xbone employee's feelings on the switch off of the yada yada yada.

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/1250 ... -must-read

Anyway, it was far too long and boring for me to read, as I don't give a fuck, so I just skipped to the end:
Quote:
We at Microsoft have amazing plans for Xbox One that will make it an amazing experience for both gamers and entertainment consumers alike. I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2, while Xbox One is trying to revolutionize entertainment consumption. For people who don’t want these amazing additions, like Don said we have a console for that and it’s called Xbox 360.

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
1. Base your product on an unfounded principle that physical discs aren't important.
2. Come up with a more and more complex DRM solution as you develop that further and realise the issues, rather than scrapping the idea.
3. Release your product to the public without a coherent message.
4. Release a statement that is a bit clearer after everyone goes mental.
5. See that your competition is being received much better.
6. Release a statement that you are actively listening to the users, and that you are going to remove the DRM restrictions.
7. Rejoice as the gaming community rejoices that they have won and everything is ok.
8. Release console, enjoy sales figures.
9. Stealth re-introduce the DRM over the next couple of years as incremental updates, now that everyone has the console already.

We are currently at point 5...

Now at point 6...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

We're edging on point 7 judging by some of the things I've read in the past couple of days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:19 

Quote:
I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2
Sounds great! Sign me up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:20 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2
Sounds great! Sign me up.

Yeah.. This is what I thought actually but then again, I do like shiny and new things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:20 

TheVision wrote:
We're edging on point 7 judging by some of the things I've read in the past couple of days.

Yeah, the "plans" he makes reference to seem very much like point 9.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:28 

Seems to confirm that the family sharing thing is in fact just a time limited demo but it saves your progress. Pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:29 

Bobbyaro wrote:
An Xbone employee's feelings on the switch off of the yada yada yada.

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/1250 ... -must-read

Anyway, it was far too long and boring for me to read, as I don't give a fuck, so I just skipped to the end:
Quote:
We at Microsoft have amazing plans for Xbox One that will make it an amazing experience for both gamers and entertainment consumers alike. I stand by the belief that Playstation 4 is Xbox 360 part 2, while Xbox One is trying to revolutionize entertainment consumption. For people who don’t want these amazing additions, like Don said we have a console for that and it’s called Xbox 360.

And he goes on and on about amazing new things they had lined up, but still without giving any clue as to what they could be. Just useless. And the family sharing really was just timed demos. GTFF.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:33 
Sitting balls-back folder

lasermink wrote:
And he goes on and on about amazing new things they had lined up, but still without giving any clue as to what they could be. Just useless. And the family sharing really was just timed demos. GTFF.
With the reaction to the shafting they wanted to give us from the off why would they talk openly about the ribbing and vibration for our pleasure that come later?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:42 

lasermink wrote:

But they were amazing things tbf, revolutionising gaming, taking it to the next evolutionary level, introducing a genre breaking method of integrating the gaming system into every part of your everyday life, which has the true gamer's desires at heart while appealing to the whole family, and ensuring the games publishers (scum all of them) don't ruin the games industry!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:48 

Christ, I just read some of this!

Quote:
While publishers have never come right out to us at MS and say “We want you to do something about used gaming” we could hear it in their voices and read it in their numerous public statements.

What?

Quote:
Videogame development is a loss leader by definition and unlike other forms of media videogames only have one revenue stream and that is selling to you the gamer.

What?
Quote:
So when you buy a game used you’re hurting developers much more than say a movie studio

What?
Quote:
It is impossible to continue to deliver movie like experiences at the current costs without giving up something in return. It’s what gamers want and expect, the best selling games are blockbusters, the highest rated are blockbusters, the most loved are blockbusters. How can developers continue to create these experiences if consumers refuse to support them? Many will argue the development system is broken, and I disagree. The development system is near broken, it’s used gaming that is broken, but regardless I think more emphasis on this from both us at Microsoft and publishers would have gone a long way in helping educate the gamer, but again it is us who dropped the ball in this regard for that we’re sorry.

What (a cunt)?

Quote:
Going back to Xbox One’s feature set, one of the features I was most proud of was Family Sharing. I’ve browsed many gaming forums and saw that many people were excited about it as well! That made my day the first time I saw gamers start to think of amazing experiences that could come from game sharing.

lol! Really?

I could go on, but the more I read of this, the more it seems like a MS "toe-in-the-water" to garner public opinion and move nicely towards item 9 in Trooper's list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:
Quote:
Videogame development is a loss leader by definition and unlike other forms of media videogames only have one revenue stream and that is selling to you the gamer.

What?

Well, that one makes some sense, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A loss leader though? How does that work? Are they referring to the lesser known titles and not the triple A games?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:55 
Isn't that lovely?

Couldn't anyone have posted that to pastebin though?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:55 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Grim... wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
Quote:

What?

And in game advertising (just to pull one example out of i'm sure dozens of others) is not a revenue stream ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 15:56 
Unpossible!

I thought the machines themselves were the loss leader and the money was made on the games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:02 

Grim... wrote:

No it doesn't. The idea of a loss leader is to sell something at a loss to make more money selling people something else for more. So a supermarket sells cans of beans at a loss, but while you're there, you're buying more than just beans.

If Call of Shootymans IX is a loss leader, what else is Electronic ActiBlizzard selling me to make the money back?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 16:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's what I thought...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 17:05 
Excellently Membered

I guess they mean Game Devs have to develop the game which costs money and there's no guarantee to making money to cover the expenditure... oh wait... that's normal fucking business.

I'd guess this is just some sort of 17 year old dweeb, although the family shared demos was an additional nugget of info, but no idea if it's true.

The main point that make me think it's not real is the "developing DRM to keep publishers happy because they sounded like they needed it" bit. Did no one ask? Spend thousands if not millions to develop something and not worry about publishers requirements. I wouldn't have thought they'd do it on a whim but due to some other floored idea.

If this turns out to be an actually MS guy it would show the blinkered mentality of the internal workings at MS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 17:19 

TBF, "blinkered" mentality is common amongst people who are close to a system and can see its benefits.
This however doesn't read like someone close to a system, it seems to cover too many bases and as such appears to have either been written by a) a marketing team trying to cover their asses, or b) someone relatively high up the system who is massively removed from reality.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 17:32 
Isn't that lovely?

or c) some dude on the internet who wants to get a kick out of it.

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 18:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Game development is a loss leader. It's when you add on game selling at the end of the development it becomes profitable ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 23:48 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/ ... hare-demos

Quote:
Update: Microsoft has confirmed that family sharing was not limited to timed demos. Corporate VP Marc Whitten called the idea "silly" on Twitter.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 16:23 
Hello Hello Hello

'A Breakup Letter to Xbox'

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-breakup-letter-to-xbox/

I'm already decided on PS4 for the next-gen if I buy one of the consoles at all, quite how MS have managed to fuck it all up so completely and spectacularly I will never fully comprehend.

I still can't believe they've fucking killed 360 XBLA games on the XBone, meaning you need to keep a 360 around to play them, mean bastards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 16:28 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I still can't believe they've fucking killed 360 XBLA games on the XBone, meaning you need to keep a 360 around to play them, mean bastards.

It's a completely different architecture, there's no way they could have backwards compatibility; it's not mean, it's just a consequence of the setup they went with. Also, not for nothing, but it's the same on the Sony side of the fence.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 16:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:

It's a completely different architecture, there's no way they could have backwards compatibility; it's not mean, it's just a consequence of the setup they went with. Also, not for nothing, but it's the same on the Sony side of the fence.

Well with all that power on tap they should have been able to run a virtualised environment on the XBone for XBLA games, or something like that.

I appreciate it's the same with PS3 moving to PS4, but by all accounts PSN has never really penetrated in the same way that XBLA has.

You can't have a company pushing digital distribution as hard as MS have during the 360's era, to then have them say 'Yeah none of that shit works on the next XBox' at the end of said era.

I feel a lot better about the security of my Steam games collection versus my 360 XBLA game collection right now, put it that way.

What happens when my 360 breaks a couple of years down the line, will I even be able to re-download my XBLA collection to the replacement console, or will they have just turned all that stuff off by then?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 0:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

New feature confirmed... The Xbox One and Kinect will recognise QR codes which will be a damn sight easier to use then inputting those 25 digit codes that come with day one DLC. I remember Arkham City came with about 5 codes to be inputted before I could start playing... It would have been cool to have them all in one QR code.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 
UltraMod

Don Mattress leaves MS for Zynga. Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:52 
Sleepyhead

SilentElk wrote:
Don Mattress leaves MS for Zynga. Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

Into the blazing oil rig, more like!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 18:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Headset in the box, apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 19:10 

Grim... wrote:

Or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 19:12 
Sleepyhead

Joans wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Or not.

LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 19:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bloody Hell :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 22:58 
SavyGamer

Pretty much all of the Xbox One launch games are now available to preorder for sub-£40 via play-asia. Handy SavyGamer link here.

They are the USA versions, but region free.

Reply to topic  [ 2593 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 52  Next