Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Thatcher for Beginners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 
What-ho, chaps!

I don't know anything about Margaret Thatcher*, the Conservative Party or 1980s politics or economics. I probably should.

Could anybody recommend some books on the subject please?

* I know she is dead. According to the Daily Mail, her heart was melted by some adorable puppies. Sounds like a painful way to go.

Post subject: Re: Thatcher for Beginners
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:19 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Off the top of my head for an overview of her history and political legacy (or to be more precise the legacy of a school of politics that she came to represent) I'd say "Thatcher & Sons" by Simon Jenkins.

It covers the rise (or rediscovery) of the New Right in the late 60s and 70s by people like Roger Scruton and promoted to Thatcher by Keith Joseph, her period as Opposition Leader and Prime Minister...people make the mistake of mis-remembering or reading Thatcher's time in office as an ideologically homogeneous lump but it certainly wasn't, the first term was significantly different from the ones that followed.

It then goes on to cover her influence on Major, Blair's and Brown's governments. It's not a particularly dense read and it whizzes by. Recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 

Yes, I've read the Jenkins book.

If you're interested in her style of governing, and how it compared to other prime ministers, Peter Hennessey's book 'The Prime Minister: the office, and its holders' is a good overview of the postwar incumbents.

Been ages since I last read a general history of the 80s, though for background I've been enjoying Dominic Sandbrook's histories of the postwar period, covering politics and culture, which have got up to the end of the 1970s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 

As part of my research for my thesis I read almost everything published about her defenestration, but no titles are coming to mind right now. Will have to check the bibliography.

I don't think I can ever tire of reading about her downfall. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

For a lighter (and cracking) read about working for her and a description of a very weird crush then I'd recommend the Alan Clarke Diaries...in fact you should just read them as they are brilliant. Oh he would have done her, he so would have done her if he was given half a chance. Having said that he was a man who took his new wife and his mistress on his honeymoon with him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 
Chinny chin chin

Morte wrote:
For a lighter (and cracking) read about working for her and a description of a very weird crush then I'd recommend the Alan Clarke Diaries...in fact you should just read them as they are brilliant.

There's a bit in one of them when he talks about how part of The Tripods was shot on his estate and how one of the cast members was killed before transmission. Although I'm not sure if he wasn't upset because he didn't get to do her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Dead or alive, that wouldn't have stopped him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

He also wrote about pooing and cancer quite a lot, if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:01 
Chinny chin chin

Meanwhile:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a473343/margaret-thatcher-painted-as-the-terminator-in-mural-picture.html

The artist (34) painted this because ""Margaret Thatcher stole my milk. It was the only part of school that I enjoyed."

The milk was withdrawn in 1971 but he wasn't even born until 1979.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:08 
Isn't that lovely?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Meanwhile:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a473343/margaret-thatcher-painted-as-the-terminator-in-mural-picture.html

The artist (34) painted this because ""Margaret Thatcher stole my milk. It was the only part of school that I enjoyed."

I got (presumably free) milk at my primary school. I was born in 1975 and attendend from 1979 - 1986.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
Vincent continued: "I also cannot afford to get on the property ladder because she sold all the affordable houses to the generation before me."

Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:22 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
Vincent continued: "I also cannot afford to get on the property ladder because she sold all the affordable houses to the generation before me."

Ha!

That is the most senseless, circular and self contradicting argument that I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:25 
Gogmagog

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Quote:

Ha!

That is the most senseless, circular and self contradicting argument that I have ever seen.

he's an artist. He is meant to be poor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:26 

chinnyhill10 wrote:

And it wasn't her idea, and she fought against it, diluting the original Treasury proposal from "no free milk" to "no free milk in secondary schools".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:30 
Chinny chin chin

Malc wrote:
I got (presumably free) milk at my primary school. I was born in 1975 and attendend from 1979 - 1986.

Malc

Your school may have paid for it out of their funding, your parents may have paid for it or you may have qualified for it if your parents were hard-up. If you were under 7 it was still free until 1980.

Ironically of course, not only was she against the withdrawal of the milk in 1971 for 7-11 year olds, but it was the previous Labour government that started the policy by abolishing free milk for 12 to 18 year olds.

In short, Thatcher did not take the milk from that artist.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:50 
What-ho, chaps!

These look like a great start. Thank you very much folks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:05 
Isn't that lovely?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Your school may have paid for it out of their funding, your parents may have paid for it or you may have qualified for it if your parents were hard-up. If you were under 7 it was still free until 1980.

Ironically of course, not only was she against the withdrawal of the milk in 1971 for 7-11 year olds, but it was the previous Labour government that started the policy by abolishing free milk for 12 to 18 year olds.

In short, Thatcher did not take the milk from that artist.

The whole class got it and I'm pretty sure we did right up until aged 11.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:08 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

I also remember free milk at primary school (little triangular packs which sat in a strange crate by the door of the class)

As for writings this is not really what you were looking for but it sorta fits here better than other places

http://www.mckellen.com/writings/tribut ... atcher.htm

Sir Ian Mckellen on section 28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:10 
Chinny chin chin

Malc wrote:
The whole class got it and I'm pretty sure we did right up until aged 11.

Malc

There was nothing stopping a school providing it out of their own funds.

Also, if in Scotland, the timings are different.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:11 
Isn't that lovely?

Central London.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:15 
Chinny chin chin

Malc wrote:
Central London.

Malc

Then you may have even had one of the rabidly left wing councils that simply funded it then. The kind of council that would declare itself a nuclear free zone despite there being no chance of a reactor or missiles being located on their patch.

Remember, they didn't ban school milk. They just removed the extra funds available for it. Nothing stopped another source of funds being used.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

I had free milk too in primary school, which would have been 1981 onwards, this was in the heartland of left wing councils that is Bedfordshire :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It struck me the other day, that the criticism against the poll tax was that those with large families were likely to be those that could least afford to pay a tax based on the number of people in the home. So, instead, we got council tax, based on the size of the home itself. Now we have the suggested bedroom tax, which is based on having a home that's bigger than the number of people living in it would require. It is, in effect, the anti-poll tax. And still the tories get absolutely battered for suggesting it.

They really should just stop trying to count people :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:35 
Chinny chin chin

Trooper wrote:
I had free milk too in primary school, which would have been 1981 onwards, this was in the heartland of left wing councils that is Bedfordshire :D

As I said, if money was found elsewhere, a school or council was free to continue.

Torygraph article explains how it was phased out:

Quote:
Sticklers for historical accuracy may now be questioning both my memory and Barr’s. After all, if “Maggie Thatcher milk snatcher” removed free milk from primary schools in 1971 when she was Education Secretary, how could I have been downing it two years later? And what on earth was Damian Barr doing getting his daily dose in 1984? I found myself so confused on this point that I emailed Barr (who was certain of his dates) and then got straight on to Google. Courtesy of John Redwood’s excellent blog, I discovered that the true story of milk’s exit from the classroom was far more complex than the accusatory ditty would have us believe. As Redwood writes, “The biggest 'milk snatchers’ were Labour.” Harold Wilson’s government removed free milk from all 11- to 18-year-olds in 1968, yet nobody vilified the then education secretary, Ted Short. Three years later the Heath administration took away milk from 7- to 11-year-olds in England and Margaret Thatcher was singled out for everlasting blame.

Meanwhile, infant classes carried on drinking the filthy stuff until around 1980 (there were no loud protests when it petered out). In Scotland different measures applied, which was why Barr was still drinking milk aged eight, until the day his teacher announced: “The Prime Minister of England has stopped free milk in schools down there and now she’s trying to stop it up here as well…”

[edit] The author refers it it as "filthy stuff" because it was often warm and had a layer of cream at the top. I'd have to agree with her. We'd leap for joy on the occasional days when our milk turned up in cartons instead of bottles. Doing the school milk round was a bastard job! Before assembly you'd have to go to each classroom and leave the right number of bottles, then at breaktime you'd go back and collect the empties. Just 2 10 year olds doing that in a school of 100 kids. I just remember how heavy the crates were and the stench of milk on your hands/clothes afterwards. Yuck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:39 
Isn't that lovely?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Malc wrote:
Central London.

Malc

Then you may have even had one of the rabidly left wing councils that simply funded it then.

Westminster.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:41 
Chinny chin chin

Malc wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Malc wrote:
Central London.

Malc

Then you may have even had one of the rabidly left wing councils that simply funded it then.

Westminster.

Malc

I wonder if old Red Ken at the GLC had anything to do with keeping the London schools in milk, or if Westminster was so swimming in cash they just paid out for it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:45 
Caution Live Bear.

Quote:
Trooper wrote:

I remember free milk in infant school, they had little half pint bottles and this would have been around 1983 or 1984 in South East London another Labour stronghold. I also remember it being phased out when we went up to the Juniors and had to bring in our own drinks (normally stuff like Ribena).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 15:49 
Gogmagog

I remeber milk at primary school, in Sutton, Surrey. This would have been 1984?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

I also remember milk in school in the mid-80s, although that was in North Wales and we got the choice of milk or milkshake. Milkshake was 95% of the time strawberry flavoured, although on very rare occasions it was chocolate and incredibly awesome.

Milk as a thing is pretty damn cheap in any case. When I was doing a cheap-food blog about five years ago I noticed the price of 4 pints to be £1.44. As recently as last year I then noted it had gone down to as low as £1.18, and was very often sold in 2 for £2 offers. In other words, if you, as a parent, are overly concerned about forcing milk in to your child, you can do it very economically.

In Scotland I do very often see toddlers guzzling from bottles of full-fat Irn Bru, which no doubt turns them into rabid screeching monsters, or Scots for short. It's not cost, but parent's choice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Does anyone not remember milk in school in the early 80s?
Maybe the milk snatcher thing was a huge con! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:44 
Goth

I wonder if my free milk in primary school was due to the labour council.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:48 

I certainly remember getting milk at infant school (from ages 5-7, so between 1984 and 1986) in Hertfordshire. I've never quite understood the whole "milk snatcher" thing and instead preferred to remember Thatcher as the cunt that sealed the fate of the AEW Nimrod* that my father and many others in the British electronics and aeronautical industry were working on. We very rapidly went from fairly well-to-do middle class family to poor-as-fuck working class as my dad struggled to get working again, seeing as he was already well in his forties by then.

Dad never was much of a fan of ol' Thatch.

*to be fair, Nimrod wasn't as good as the American AWACS, but the feeling at the time was that with RAF support, enough investment would've been there to get it up to speed. And, you know, it was a homegrown project providing jobs to British workers as opposed to just buying something off the Yanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't remember milk at school and this would have been '83ish onwards.

But then again.. I can barely remember what I did last week so I wouldn't take my account of the facts as gospel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

Cras wrote:
It struck me the other day, that the criticism against the poll tax was that those with large families were likely to be those that could least afford to pay a tax based on the number of people in the home. So, instead, we got council tax, based on the size of the home itself. Now we have the suggested bedroom tax, which is based on having a home that's bigger than the number of people living in it would require. It is, in effect, the anti-poll tax. And still the tories get absolutely battered for suggesting it.

Council tax is a bizarre thing, not least because it doesn't take in to account various factors. You could pack 10 adults into a 3 bed-room home, all of whom would severely drain various council resources, such as water (if it's included in your council tax band, as it is in Scotland), rubbish collection, police, fire, libraries et al, all based on the price of the single home they all live in. There's no differentiation between being the owner-occupier of an expensive house, or just renting it. A single person only gets a 25% discount. Also, the richer you are, the less likely you are to use public services that everyone elses use [citation needed].

Council tax bandings are typically based on house values in 1991. House prices have changed a tad since 1991 and not uniformly across all housing. Some areas are now much more valuable, and others pretty stagnant. But new builds on previously poor land don't seem to count. New developments built on reclaimed dock areas up here are banded in E or F - massively expensive and not appreciably nicer to equivalent housing less than a mile away.

Obviously we live in a fuzzy society where everyone contributes, but having a flat council-contribution per person seems much more logical and fair, and leave wealth-based taxation to income tax. I'm sure if there's a flaw in that logic, someone will tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:54 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

That's what a lot of the states in the US do isn't it? A local income tax.

I think the problem with a flat tax is that to get enough cash in total you make the flat amount too much for the poorest to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Squirt wrote:
I think the problem with a flat tax is that to get enough cash in total you make the flat amount too much for the poorest to pay.

Yeah, assume that the council funding would need to be proportionally subsidised from income tax, which would be wealth based.

Of course, if the numbers still don't add up, the council is running itself too expensively, or providing too many services ;)

But the public sector is a massive employer in the UK, so we need to keep those council people in jobs! So we can tax them, to help pay for their jobs, aaargh, infinite loop.

To summarise, I'm glad I don't work in government finance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:08 
ugvm'er at heart...

For various reasons, flat taxes are usually better for low and high income earners, but worse for mid income earners, as I understand it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:12 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

* makes contrived "flat-top" joke *

I don't think I ever got milk at school. Although apparently my primary school head teacher got sacked for embezzling funds after I left, so the budget might have just been pocketed by her.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:42 

Trooper wrote:
Does anyone not remember milk in school in the early 80s?
Maybe the milk snatcher thing was a huge con! :D

My girlfriend does remember it, but then she is from East Germany. Apparently, chocolate flavoured milk was a genuinely rare and valued commodity.

My pre-school club had milk in the '80s, small glass bottles, but I doubt it was free. Primary school proper certainly never offered it, and it was the end of the '80s by then anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:54 

Squirt wrote:

That's it, basically. And why Poll Tax was rightly considered a Very Bad Thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:07 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Cras wrote:

Council tax is a bizarre thing, not least because it doesn't take in to account various factors. You could pack 10 adults into a 3 bed-room home, all of whom would severely drain various council resources, such as water (if it's included in your council tax band, as it is in Scotland), rubbish collection, police, fire, libraries et al, all based on the price of the single home they all live in. There's no differentiation between being the owner-occupier of an expensive house, or just renting it. A single person only gets a 25% discount. Also, the richer you are, the less likely you are to use public services that everyone elses use [citation needed].

Council tax bandings are typically based on house values in 1991. House prices have changed a tad since 1991 and not uniformly across all housing. Some areas are now much more valuable, and others pretty stagnant. But new builds on previously poor land don't seem to count. New developments built on reclaimed dock areas up here are banded in E or F - massively expensive and not appreciably nicer to equivalent housing less than a mile away.

Obviously we live in a fuzzy society where everyone contributes, but having a flat council-contribution per person seems much more logical and fair, and leave wealth-based taxation to income tax. I'm sure if there's a flaw in that logic, someone will tell me.

When it comes to bandings they pounce as soon as the house is sold if there has been a lot of building work done to extend the house.

The guy we bought our house from more than doubled the size of the house. Sounds grand but it was a tiny bungalow on a big plot when he bought it.

Don’t think we had finished unpacking the boxes before a letter arrived putting up the band.

People next door have a bigger house than us and still pay on a lower band

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Tell me about it :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:21 
INFINITE POWAH

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I also remember milk in school in the mid-80s, although that was in North Wales and we got the choice of milk or milkshake. Milkshake was 95% of the time strawberry flavoured, although on very rare occasions it was chocolate and incredibly awesome.

Milk as a thing is pretty damn cheap in any case. When I was doing a cheap-food blog about five years ago I noticed the price of 4 pints to be £1.44. As recently as last year I then noted it had gone down to as low as £1.18, and was very often sold in 2 for £2 offers. In other words, if you, as a parent, are overly concerned about forcing milk in to your child, you can do it very economically.

This is why dairy farmers such as my wife's uncle are, generally, fucked. Back in the 70s a 200 head herd was massive. Now it's nowhere big enough to get the economies of scale you need to make even a wafer thin profit margin, due to the supermarkets all being utter bastards.

That said, although "woo, cheap milk", school budgets are very, very tight (I know this as a parent governor, sadly), and even a hundred extra quid a year for something can be a problem. So Chinny's suggestion that "well, the schools could just pay for it" is naive in the extreme.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 
INFINITE POWAH

Zio wrote:
*to be fair, Nimrod wasn't as good as the American AWACS, but the feeling at the time was that with RAF support, enough investment would've been there to get it up to speed. And, you know, it was a homegrown project providing jobs to British workers as opposed to just buying something off the Yanks.

That was shit for your dad and I sympathise, but, you see, continually buying shitty, overpriced, less capable "British"-made kit is what got the MOD into a massive pickle in the first place from the 80s onwards. I'm looking at you BAe Systems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
That said, school budgets are very, very tight (I know this as a parent governor, sadly), and even a hundred extra quid a year for something can be a problem. So Chinny's suggestion that "well, the schools could just pay for it" is naive in the extreme.

But they did. Every school in Bedfordshire did, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
That said, school budgets are very, very tight (I know this as a parent governor, sadly), and even a hundred extra quid a year for something can be a problem. So Chinny's suggestion that "well, the schools could just pay for it" is naive in the extreme.

But they did. Every school in Bedfordshire did, for example.

Where did they get the money from? I bet it wasn't from their own, existing budgets. It'd have been the council giving extra money to them. These days if we went to the council and said "can we have an extra £1,000 a year to pay for milk" we'd get told to get lost.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Where did they get the money from? I bet it wasn't from their own, existing budgets. It'd have been the council giving extra money to them. These days if we went to the council and said "can we have an extra £1,000 a year to pay for milk" we'd get told to get lost.

No-one's talking about "these days" besides you, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

true, but at the time I bet it wasn't the school paying for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:56 
ugvm'er at heart...

Indeed, hence why the milk snatcher lies were all a big con, I reckon :D
I'm going to start a conspiracy website.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

true, but at the time I bet it wasn't the school paying for it.

There were only twelve of us at our Lower School (sixteen if you count the teachers and the cleaner that also taught us Home Ec), and it was rolling in cash. We had an adventure playground next to our normal playground. Obviously I don't know one way or another who paid for the milk, but I think it's fair to say that "not all schools are the same".

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next