Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: God of War: Ascension
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 21:39 
Bad Girl

God of Four, aye, I should work in marketing.

Anyhoo, PSN+ owners get access to the Multiplayer Beta, which sounds sort of exciting. So perhaps the people with PSN+ could make themselves known to us and tell us stuff about the God of War thang.

In the meantime, here's a video of God of War Four showing that the PS3 still has loads of life left in it.

Post subject: Re: God of War: Ascension
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:07 
Bad Girl

DEMO ON PSN NOW! To the downloadatron! You lot, not me, I'm already doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 21:47 
Bad Girl

You get plenty of demo from a God of War, er, demo. That lasted about twenty minutes from start to finish and, well, it was brill!

Same old shit!

But new!

But the same!

But that doesn't matter cause I haven't smashed these new things up before!

I'm definately getting it. Definately. When's it out?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 0:00 
Excellent Member

I played it last week some time and...it was alright. There were parts where it seemed more interested in showing off than in letting you see what you were actually doing and the the graphical style is weirdly sterile in it's shininess; to a slightly off-putting degree. But, it's God of War innit? You know what you're getting and no doubt it'll be good fun if you enjoyed all the other ones so I'll pick it up at some point. Indeed I'm quite pleased that it's actually got a fucking single player game at all because with the announcement of the stupid multiplayer I had assumed they'd just focus on that so that's good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 21:47 
Bad Girl

Who needs to see what you're doing when you're scaling a giant primordial deity and he's spinning you around a piece of a building like a ginormous rubix cube? Not me.

Kratos is a surprisingly interesting character even if his raison d'etra is simply "I'm very angry at everything".

GoW3 has some of the biggest spectacles in gaming outside of Xenoblade Chronicals. The PSP games are surprisingly awesome too. Mind you, I've always had a love for Greek mythology ever since, erm, Myth from System 3!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 15:04 
Bad Girl

66 days until The Last of Us exclusive demo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 21:20 
Bad Girl

Not a single game comes close to the raw power on display here. It sort of reminds me of playing with intricate miniatures as a child that have come to life. It's awesome at times. A fantastic journey.

Kratos smash. Kratos smash. Kratos smash. He's a lively one for sure. He takes out entire levels; giant sculptures, giants, a Titan, etc etc etc. he smashes stuff up good. Then, when you think you've seen some gorgeous looking things, it reminds you how powerful the PS3 is: It's got a time warp mechanic thing that lets you destroy and rebuild. In real time. In your face. It's freaking aces seeing an entire level you've demolished come back to life in front of your eyes. Then you play on it. Amazing.

But it comes at a price. The God of War people are the laziest shits in the world. The same baddies, the same finishing moves you've seen OVER FIVE FUCKING GAMES. I mean, seriously, it's gone no further than God of War one in terms of the main fighting outside the set pieces. He pulls off heads. He pulls off bats wings. He pulls off gorgon heads. HE'S DONE IT ALL BEFORE. It's exhausting, cause it's, in the main, the same good fun but I've played this five times before. All I want is to kick someone's face off ever so slightly differently. The similarity is so fucking lazy it's hurtful.

It's a shame because every GoW game has lots going for it in terms of set pieces, characters, level structure (here its especially good), and giant shit to smash. It's just the routine fighting has barely improved a jot; new weapons, sure, add to the experience, but why they could think up some new finishing moves or vary up the standard enemies massively I'll never know.

That being said, I'll never tire of opening up an ogres chest cavity and watching the gooey bits flop out or opening up an elephants skull and seeing his brain slump out. Go Kratos!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 23:20 
Bad Girl

This is epic.

Stupid, mindless fun, but epic nonetheless.

It'll never be as awe inspiring as the first one was but there's enough here to make you go "whoa, that's pretty cool" and make you wonder what a PS4 will do for the future of Kratos.

It does however desperately needs a magical reboot of the fighting. The fighting is mindless, too mindless, but at least has some intricacies this time around. I can't quite fathom it out though: do you switch to fire to defeat fire monsters, or leccy to defeat leccy enemies or what, aye? Surely ice blades kill fire enemies? But no. It seems you have to use the same element as your enemy. I think. It's not quite clear. Still, who gives a toss. Smashy smashy slashy slash before watching an entire level rebuild in front of you. Cool freaking beans.

Can't be long left now though: about 8 hours in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 22:36 
Bad Girl

HE STABBED HER IN BOTH TITS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 22:45 
Bad Girl

Anyhoo, finished in 8 hours forty minutes.

'twas bloody ace even if it was very similar to God of War 3. Shame it didn't quite have an original edge to the story like the PSP version (y'know, that one where he had to re-kill his family).

I'd recommend it to anyone who loves God of War. But of course, if you like GoW you'd know you'd like this GoW too. I mean, four.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]