Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:09 
Worst

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Cras Kringle wrote:
You didn't like it, but it appears that the majority of the people in this thread did. Calling it overrated rubbish on the basis of that seems a little silly.

Especially when it seems to be someone looking forward to playing with a Christmas present.

I'm sure MaliA is all grown up enough not to have his Christmas present spoiled by a PC spod's opinion on the internet.

It's not his level of maturity that concerns me.

I posted my issues with this game in some detail a few pages back, so it's not like me saying 'it's shit' is coming out of nowhere.

That's exactly my point. You've already very articulately expressed your issues with the game.

Doesn't mean you need to spring into action every time someone seems like they might enjoy it (or, in this case, consider playing it). We know you don't like it :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:44 
Excellent Member

I think it's good but repetitive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 
and!

I'm really liking it. It's keeping my attention enough to stop me from playing Fallout 3 again and the new Skyrim dlc, anyway. My only (obvious) complaint is the saving. I couldn't care less about the story not being as good as a film. I want to hide in the bushes, steal a car, drive it off a cliff and then fly a glider onto people's heads. I want to be free to do that. One day, people will realise that a story doesn't make a game and bow down to me as their storyless-game-leader.

Also, thread meta arguments about opinions are strangeness. Yes, people like it, others don't, the end.

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Picked this up yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. I've found a few niggles already - hunter missions that insist on swapping out my only gun and then won't give me the other one back afterwards, for example - but nothing that's really spoiling it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:05 

ltia wrote:
Also, thread meta arguments about opinions are strangeness. Yes, people like it, others don't, the end.

Although when some of those opinions are expressed with the penetrating insight of a Kotaku comments thread, that's notable, and worth rebutting. There's plenty of niggling things wrong with FC3, but fatuous dismissal of it as some sort of pseudo-MMO is laughably inaccurate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 
Gogmagog

I was watching Old Man Afterthought play this earlier. He was picking flowers or whatnot and then fell into a river. A car drove past on the bridge, and he found a chest on the river bed. Then, on surfacing, a crocodile appeared and ated him. I laughed so much I almost dropped my beer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
ltia wrote:

Although when some of those opinions are expressed with the penetrating insight of a Kotaku comments thread, that's notable, and worth rebutting. There's plenty of niggling things wrong with FC3, but fatuous dismissal of it as some sort of pseudo-MMO is laughably inaccurate.

It's good to see that all the time Grim spent writing the super-ignore code was worthwhile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 13:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Right? I'm going to talk to moderators about forcing certain people onto it. Mini-Hellban ahoy!

I'll start with Zardoz and Mr Chris, for lulz.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 13:36 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Mini-Hellboy ahoy!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 13:37 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
I'll start with Zardoz and Mr Chris

Like Mother, like son.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 13:47 

Well, pardon me for daring to dissent, for fear of damaging delicate ears. I shall cease immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:04 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Well, pardon me for daring to dissent, for fear of damaging delicate ears. I shall cease immediately.

Oh don't be such a bitch; just put him on ignore and we can all get on with our lives.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:13 

So we would prefer BeeX to be the kind of place where bullshit goes unchallenged? Where things are never questioned and rebutted and debated? I'm genuinely saddened at that. That's the sort of low-quality discourse that belongs in comment sections on news blogs and YouTube, not a forum where quality discourse is all we have. Or had, perhaps.

But I'm tired of trying to skate up that particular hill. Forget I spoke.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:21 

Sometimes it's just not worth it. AE has decided he hates it, I think he went into it looking to find problems. But apart from comparing it to an MMO and failing to appreciate any of what makes it great he's not really said anything that's factually wrong but just seems to be inordinately upset by certain aspects of the game. Things that I have to say I have barely noticed and I'm incredibly impatient with games whenever I stop having fun. :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 15:38 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So we would prefer BeeX to be the kind of place where bullshit goes unchallenged? Where things are never questioned and rebutted and debated? I'm genuinely saddened at that. That's the sort of low-quality discourse that belongs in comment sections on news blogs and YouTube, not a forum where quality discourse is all we have. Or had, perhaps.

Oh get over yourself. This has nothing to do with quality of discourse and everything to do with the fact that you hate the guy so much you can't even challenge his opinion on a computer game without resorting to needless nonsense like "the penetrating insight of a Kotaku comments thread", "fatuous dismissal" and "laughably inaccurate". If you think that kind of thing constitutes actual debate then you're doing it wrong; and the fact you're trying to pretend there's some high-minded reason for you to stick the boot into someone you don't like is what's laughable here.

If you don't agree with what someone says of course you should challenge it and debate it. You weren't doing that though, you were looking to start another tedious fight with someone you apparently just can't leave well enough alone, which doesn't make for interesting or amusing posting for anyone else to read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 19:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
ltia wrote:

Except I wasn't being fatuous, and I explained in some detail and with extensive reasoning and justification as to why I don't like the game.

You can disagree with that of course, but instead you choose to be rude and superior, as usual.

And I stand by my MMO-esque comments, we can get hung up on how much of it is RPG and how much of it is MMO and how much of it is WoW, that's not really the point.

I've already said (more than once) that I spent the best part of the last four years playing the arse of WoW, so that's very much my frame of reference and the truth of the matter is that there's a surprising amount of the WoW experience in FC3, in terms of both design and execution.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 19:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I really want to stay out of this, but MMO isn't a genre, it a... Er... Thing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 19:24 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
Sometimes it's just not worth it. AE has decided he hates it, I think he went into it looking to find problems. But apart from comparing it to an MMO and failing to appreciate any of what makes it great he's not really said anything that's factually wrong but just seems to be inordinately upset by certain aspects of the game. Things that I have to say I have barely noticed and I'm incredibly impatient with games whenever I stop having fun. :shrug:

Yes see here how I decided I hated it and went into it looking for problems!

viewtopic.php?p=727017#p727017

I mean, I did actually spend thirty quid on it, you think I spend thirty quid on things I think I won't like just for shits and giggles?

FC3 is a badly flawed game IMO, and I've explained in a fair amount of detail earlier in this very thread as to what I don't like about it, and why I don't like it.

The MMO comparisons are based on the game demanding that I spend time doing stuff I find neither engaging or enjoyable for not much of a good reason, which is very MMO-esque and very much why I ditched WoW in the first place.

You don't see me stamping all over the BL2 thread abusing people who don't like that game (and there are a lot of very negative comments by many BEEXers in that thread) in the way DocG has seen fit to here, with his usual snidey, preening, bitchy, borderline mastubatory comments that refuse to allow for the possibility that someone in the universe might not agree with his mighty opinion about something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 19:28 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I got this for Christmas and like it so far, although i too had that glider-mission ending issue which was a bit silly, however I was out hunting wabbits goats and found one drinking water at a river, I just crept up to shoot it when a crocodile surfaced and ate the fucking thing, then while I was cursing that and making sure the croc didn't eat me a tiger crept up on me and ate me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 22:47 
SavyGamer

I think this is certainly more good than bad, it's a very impressive and pretty open world and the shooting is quite good, but it has more annoyances than I can turn a blind eye to.

My complaints are mainly centered around the story and the associated linear, heavily scripted, missions. The QTE stuff is lame as hell, especially in a game with really good combat.

The "Leaving mission area" stuff is a joke, especially when you are in a vehicle and don't have enough time to turn around before the countdown runs out.

The crafting system is somewhat interesting, but has a fairly annoying interface.

But it's also rather fun to play. I tend to play in in 40 minute bursts, stopping whenever I get too annoyed.

Edit: I did only pay a fiver for it, and wouldn't be playing it otherwise. I wasn't interested in it until it got quite good reviews, but I had plenty of reservations because I don't tend to enjoy most of Ubisoft's action shooty game output in general, and didn't like Far Cry 2 at all, although it clearly did some interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 0:20 
Worst

Zardoz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mini-Hellboy ahoy!

The 'gayboy' image needs more love, I feel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:37 
Sleepyhead

Ordered this yesterday afternoon from Amazon. Chose Super Saver delivery.

Arrived at half eleven today.

God bless those tax dodging bastards!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:35 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity, circa 5pm.

Attachment:
bagmaker.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:44 

What the ever loving fuck are you on about? You need to collect stuff to get bigger bags to carry more stuff. Same as Borderlands, same as countless other games.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:53 

Oh come on, that was funny!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:58 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:
What the ever loving fuck are you on about? You need to collect stuff to get bigger bags to carry more stuff. Same as Borderlands, same as countless other games.

It was a tongue-in-cheek post old chap, there's no need to jump on my head over it.

The system isn't the same across various games though:

1) BL2. Get Eridium, buy bigger bag off Crazy Earl, repeat as much as you want up to the biggest bag. Also, default ammo storage is very generous and easily upgraded, currency storage is infinite, and weapon slot upgrades are given as natural quest rewards.

2) WoW. Make bags if you want (skinning then crafting i.e. as a profession), or just buy basic bags from millions of different NPC vendors, or get them as quest rewards, or buy nice bags off the auction house. Currency storage infinite, ranged weapons don't require ammo as they just saw it as a tedious time waster. Also, you can always, always, just buy bags off the auction house if you're prepared to spend a bit of gold.

3) FC3. Kill the correct kind of animals in the right places, dodging the random patrols, and making sure you have enough room in your existing bag to store the skins, and then make a bigger bag. If you want a bigger bag after that, then it's a different sort of animal in a different place, and you have to do them in order of size. On top of this you need to make bigger wallets to store more currency, bigger ammo pouches to carry more than four and a half bullets around, and gun holsters to enable you to carry more than one weapon. Oh and little grenade bags as well.

No one in the game will sell you these things, and they don't appear to be offered as rewards for completing anything. Either make them yourself (i.e. a forced profession, something WoW never does) or go without and the game effectively becomes impossible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:58 
Sleepyhead

Bobbyaro wrote:
Oh come on, that was funny!

I agree! As if the wife and child will let me on the Xbox that early!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 15:57 
Slightly Brackish

I'm likely to crack with this before long; there's only so long I can hold a grudge over Far Cry 2. I want to hit people over the head with a dead crocodile!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 17:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I do wish the hunting grounds had mouse over text. No, I can't tell the difference between a little picture of a pig and a little picture of a boar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:25 
Honey Boo Boo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Why does Meaty keep posting pics of the main baddie to the thread?

I don't understand.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:51 
Worst

They're tongue-in-cheek posts old chap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:06 
Hello Hello Hello

throughsilver wrote:
They're tongue-in-cheek posts old chap.

But I don't understand what they're for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:45 
INFINITE POWAH

That, perhaps, is the joke.

Anyway, so I should buy this on the 360 then?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Did you like 2? If so, yes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:58 
INFINITE POWAH

No, I didn't. But because of the psychic enemies and horrible feeling controls.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 0:53 

I don't think you need to be desperate for it, it isn't going anywhere and the multiplayer appears to be non existent. It is a definite improvement over 2 the enemy AI is much better (possibly dumbed down a little too far) and the controls are much better. I am enjoying it the story is okay, it is a nice looking game where you can fly a hang glider into a pirate base, jump off kill and kill someone on the way down, lob a few grenades and then steal a car and be away again - pretty fun, but I can see that it could get repetitive after a while, so as i say if you aren't desperate for new games you may as well wait until the prices drops (further).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Bastard bollocks down to £21 already in the Steam sale.

Fucked if I know why I keep paying top dollar for PC games.

NOTE TO SELF - Stop fucking doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 0:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was getting pretty annoyed with never having any ammo, so I figured I'd do some hunting and crafting. Took me an hour and a half to max out ammo, weapons, and a few misc bags. It surprised me how easy it was, frankly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 0:25 
Sleepyhead

I just started this, and the batteries in my controller died. And all the other batteries in the house have been put into toys for the child, apart from my rechargeable ones.

And my wife has 'tidied' the charger away somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 0:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Empty the lightsaber, dude.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 
Sleepyhead

Mr Christmassyfur wrote:
Empty the lightsaber, dude.

Euphemism?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 19:18 
Gogmagog

This is super fun! So far I have shot to death some people, some boars, a buffalo and a crocodile. The graphics are lovely, and I am quite enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 23:10 
Gogmagog

Fuck YEAH! Finally a game that allows me to hang glide across a huge valley to the base of a radio tower, climb it and vandalize it. Then, I zip wire down the other side whilst SHOOTING A SILENCED GUN AT A TIGER, leg it across a road and molotov cocktail a man and his guard dog over a fence before machete-ing his pal and assault rifling his other buddies before using the silenced pistol to kill the final incendiary bomb throwing lunatic and then the flag gets raised and we all have tea and medals. After I skin the dog. Fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 
Gogmagog

This is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:17 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
This is superb.

You've convinced me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:06 
Gogmagog

I have had super fun today!

I have been deer hunting with hand grenades, tapir hunting with hand grenades, goat hunting with hand grenades andshark hunting with a sniper rifle. Oh, and I ran a tapir into the river so it drowned. Stupid tapir. I can carry three weapons and seven syringes. I've made the next bag up, too. My MP5 has a silencer and a reflex sight, the assault rifle a red dot sight and the sniper rifle is normal. I have a pistol that is silenced, too.

I captured a base and it was good work from me, like in the first episode of Firefly when Jayne is on the ridge with the sniper rifle. Actually, it was nothing like that. I crept down the cliff, saw where the alarm button was, then sniper rifled a guy's face off. His pal ran for the alarm and got a grenade in the face. Luckily for him, he was able to activate the alarm before explosions occurred. I sniper rifled a couple of other dudes, then reinforcements came. The first jeep got a molotov cocktail in the passenger footwell, take that! KAPOW! And the passenger of the second got a bullet in his boat, then another grenade to mix it up a while. The survivors I mopped up with more sniper rifling. Then the BLUE FLAG OF DESTINY rose above the battlefield and my chums belatedly turned up. Which, in all fairness to them, wasn't that belatedly, as I hadn't told them where I was going. To celebrate, I did donuts on a jetski, then collided with a boat, got thrown off and eaten by a shark.

Acebest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:07 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
I have had super fun today!

I have been deer hunting with hand grenades, tapir hunting with hand grenades, goat hunting with hand grenades andshark hunting with a sniper rifle. I can carry three weapons and seven syringes. I've made the next bag up, too. My MP5 has a silencer and a reflex sight, the assault rifle a red dot sight and the sniper rifle is normal. I have a pistol that is silenced, too.

I captured a base and it was good work from me, like in the first episode of Firefly when Jayne is on the ridge with the sniper rifle. Actually, it was nothing like that. I crept down the cliff, saw where the alarm button was, then sniper rifled a guy's face off. His pal ran for the alarm and got a grenade in the face. Luckily for him, he was able to activate the alarm before explosions occurred. I sniper rifled a couple of other dudes, then reinforcements came. The first jeep got a molotov cocktail in the passenger footwell, take that! KAPOW! And the passenger of the second got a bullet in his boat, then another grenade to mix it up a while. The survivors I mopped up with more sniper rifling. Then the BLUE FLAG OF DESTINY rose above the battlefield and my chums belatedly turned up. Which, in all fairness to them, wasn't that belatedly, as I hadn't told them where I was going. To celebrate, I did donuts on a jetski, then collided with a boat, got thrown off and eaten by a shark.

Acebest.

Yes but what does it all mean?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA is quite dangerous to be near?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 17:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Craster wrote:
MaliA is quite dangerous to be near?

Well he does have large bags.

Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next