Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Digitising my DVD collection...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:15 

I have, at the last count, over 420 DVDs. Whilst these are attractive on the shelves, they do take up a lot of room and it can be a bit inconvenient when I loan a DVD to someone but then want to watch the film while they have it.

So, if I wanted to digitise this DVD collection, what would be the most cost effective and time efficient way of doing it? I don't have any NAS at the moment apart from a 2TB drive attached to my main PC (which isn't on 24/7, so can't really call it NAS.)

Are there any wi-fi enabled NAS boxes, that I could use with a wi-fi enabled Raspberry Pi running XBMC?

What's the quickest way of digitising? Ripping from DVDs, or seeing if I can download existing DVD rips? I'd prefer the former, as I'd have more control over the quality of the rip.

Post subject: Re: Digitising my DVD collection...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

Quickest way of digitising is to download. The quality online is pretty good, but usually divx compressed if you want a good compromise between size and quality (700mb-ish per film) If you want to go full DVD direct rips, then depending on your download speed it might be quicker to rip them from the disks. A DVD rip of just the feature will probably be around 4-8Gb.

Personally I would download and take the opportunity to upgrade to BR quality ;)

I don't know of any wifi nas boxes, but once you start upping the bitrate, I would really recommend going wired anyway...
Personally I leave my imac on 24/7 and use that as the file server.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]