Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FTL : Faster Than Light
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 21:37 

Is anyone else playing this? I had a shot at it, and it seems really good. It it worth buying?

Metacritic wrote:
Summary: You manage the Kestrel and its crew as you explore the galaxy. Strategic, real-time combat involves managing power between essential systems and choosing which enemy systems to target. Meanwhile, you control your crew to keep the ship functioning and fight off intruders. The combat is difficult but, being a "roguelike-like" game, frequent permadeath is at the core of the experience. While exploring the galaxy you will encounter a variety of situations requiring decision making that can result in many outcomes. Since all events are randomly generated, each play-through will be significantly different.

I've seen a few video's on YouTube, and after reading a lot of reviews, It really does seem worth buying.
The only bit that I DON'T like the the permadeath. Especially being how awful i am at these games.

Link To Game

Post subject: Re: FTL : Faster Than Light
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 21:53 

I keep forgetting to check this out!

(This is another example of a game that should've had its own thread ages ago! Damn it, people! And good job Cookie!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 21:57 
Skillmeister

At first, it's great. After a couple of hours, you've seen all it has. Gets samey very quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 22:09 

Dimrill wrote:
At first, it's great. After a couple of hours, you've seen all it has. Gets samey very quickly.

Is it good enough for the £6.99 price mark though?
Actually - reading a few more things, with my patience probably better I didn't buy it.
I'd end up kicking my computer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 22:29 
Skillmeister

No. Wait for a sale.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 0:06 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

It got a lot of positive coverage on a few podcasts last week (Weekend Confirmed and Giant Bombcast) and i picked it up from their website ($10 which equates to slightly less than the £6.99 on steam and you get a steam key so you can activate it on steam anyway).

I like the idea and the way its structured however it does look like the lack of variety will be what ultimately kills it (along with the very hard difficulty setting) - I do think its exactly the type of game which would do really well on iOS (nothing that actually requires a controller for)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 14:29 
Honey Boo Boo

I find that it becomes hard faster than you're able to upgrade your ship to cope with it. You're doing fine and then suddenly you have no choice but to go through a nebula and you encounter an alien ship who is 'confused' and attacks you for no reason... except they also have three shield blobs compared to your one.

Sometimes you just get stupidly lucky and acquire a ton of crewmembers very early on which makes life so much easier. Other times you get a long way through with only the three and that means the moment you get boarded you're fucked.

It almost feels like that moment in Pacman when the ghosts' AI switches on and you see them visibly change direction to come for you. Dungeon Raid (iOS game) is the same, sometimes you find a ton of upgrades and other times you get nothing. However, you invariably end up in a situation where the screen is full of gold coins and you just can't collect enough health to keep yourself going long enough to attack all the enemies.

I'm sure it is possible to beat it but it seems rather luck-based, as opposed to encountering random situations and being able to cope with them through your ship's abilities and your own ingenuity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 16:55 
Skillmeister

Yeah, and the only drive to carry on and complete it again is the promise of a different shaped ship.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 19:42 
Honey Boo Boo

I've played this a lot now, and I've come up with the following stuff.

YOUR SHIP
-the most crucial upgrade to your ships' systems are the shields. Upgrade your power supply twice and then your shield twice so you have two shields. This takes almost 90 scrap but it's absolutely essential.
-missiles are extremely expensive and so early on try to avoid using them.
-IMHO, get rid of your missile weapons ASAP. Something that doesn't require ammo is far better.
-upgrade your weapons systems once your shields are upgraded so you can fire both weapons simultaneously.
-Prioritize your crew to man the stations in this order: shields, pilot, weapons, engines.

COMBAT
-the ion weapons are very useful early on as they'll nullify the enemy's shields if they're up, and disable systems if the shields are down.
-the best way to deal with enemy ships seems to be to target the shield generator followed by the weapons followed by the drone control (if it has one)
-get at least one Mantis crewmember... they're great in combat against boarding parties.

ENCOUNTERS
-I have never had any luck with the stranded madmen, giant spiders or planetary riots, so I never bother trying to help with those.
-always fight slavers, for a free crewmember!

OTHER STUFF
-being boarded sucks... try to force or lure them to the medical room so your guys will be healed as they fight
-the Mantis love to attack the rear of the ship, often the oxygen room when they board. You might have to vent the air from the whole rear of the ship to get them into the medical room ASAP so you can fight them there. Be quick as otherwise you'll have the oxygen room destroyed and an airless ship!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 19:48 
Skillmeister

I'd add to get one of the large slow moving ayleons, as they stomp out fires without taking damage.

Spiders: a high engine (hence engineering) level allows you to deal with them without sacrificing a crew member. I suspect that a higher medibay would be able to cure a madness, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:01 
Honey Boo Boo

I've gotten to Sector 5 only a few times and can't really spare scrap on such fripperies... the number of cretins who want to fight you on the surface of a sun or are 'confused' or whatever is infuriating.

While we were talking earlier, the very first enemy I encountered with armed with the ability to fire a robot onto my ship every 15 seconds so it could smash up my machines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:11 
Skillmeister

Gave it another go. First jump into the second sector 4 mantis CUNTS fucking teleported from nowhere straight onto my ship and killed my three crew in seconds. Bollocks to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 21:29 
Honey Boo Boo

Got to the fifth sector again, four Zoltan bastards beamed onto my ship and went straight for the shield generator. As I'd somehow come all that way without finding any more crew members, my three guys had their hands full dealing with the intruders.

Meanwhile, their ship had two drones and two weapons which tore my ship apart.

Everything costs too fucking much. There aren't enough opportunities to earn scrap. You are thrown into repeated bad situations too early and too often to be able to keep your ship going. You can't reliably find useful things like extra crew or weapons. You can't hang around to do a lot of missions and quests because of the rebel fucking fleet.

Most unforgivable, though, is the way you can sometimes jump all the way across a sector only to find yourself in a dead end. Stars a huge distance apart will have a path to jump between them while stars nearby won't... Even discounting the waste of fuel retracing your steps, each step back brings you closer to the rebel fleet who are moving forward with each jump. If you end up in a dead end you might as well give up as you'll have a series of battles against very strong rebel ships that you certainly won't survive.

However, I did have one amazing experience, a great story. You can see a picture of it on my Steam profile thingy (linky). The whole ship was on fire. Only two crew were still alive. The fire had started, inevitably, in the door control room and spread fore and aft. My two guys holed up in the medbay, putting out the fires that managed to get in. However, the fire spread around them and reached the oxygen room. The oxygen equipment destroyed, the air began to run out. They had no option but to run through the flaming rooms to the oxygen room, extinguish the blaze and repair the equipment. The ship began to fill with breathable air, but the fire in the adjacent engine room came through and they had to flee back to the medbay, where they patched themselves up and then managed to secure and repair the door control room. The problem was, they were now trapped in there with the medbay ablaze.

If they opened the doors to vent oxygen and suffocate the fires, the ship would run out of oxygen. If they waited, the fires would enter the door room again and again until they succumbed to their injuries (if the oxygen didn't gradually run out first). They were stuck in there and that was it, the ship was beyond rescue.

I was completely fucked, but the battle to stave off the inevitable was absolutely fantastic and exciting. Which is why I'm not giving up on this game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 21:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Made it to the end earlier. The final boss ship is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 23:30 

Craster wrote:
Made it to the end earlier. The final boss ship is just ridiculous.

:this:

The second stage is impossible!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 0:29 
Honey Boo Boo

I have spent far too long today playing this, and am stopping now.

It's like playing with the world's most cruel GM.

You encounter a pirate, who requests that you duel him. Accept or refuse, you still have to fight him (and, of course, he has 20 super guns and a cloaking device and eats you for breakfast).

After a long and dangerous battle in a plasma storm, you barely achieve victory and jump to the next system... which contains a Zoltan police ship that "you" decide to argue with and moments later get asploded.

I've tried visiting as many systems as possible per sector, so the fleet is practically on top of me before I leave. This of course wastes a lot of fuel and so far hasn't really paid off, the game seems to recognize you doing this and throws up a lot of 'empty' systems. I really can't see a way of coping

In the words of Sheng-Ji Yang, God does play dice, and the dice are loaded.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:50 
Honey Boo Boo

RPS has a "diary" of a playthrough going. That he (Meer) doesn't seem to realize that Sulu became a captain, or that he spells 'dammit' with an 'N'... well. I'll say this much: I doubt the diary very much. Even if he's playing on Easy there's no way that's all from one playthrough.

The comments are interesting reading...

Quote:
The game is a randomness based dick, and it bothers me deeply that there is a whole crowd of “but that’s roguelikes, dude” apologists that basically say deal with it or leave, because I have the feeling that a less “you have 30 turns,then you’re either souped up or dead” game would be far more enjoyable.

Something like Dungeons of Dredmore feels far more right to me, where I can actually determine pace, level up and equip gently and not constantly be confronted with a “HAHA yea baby you know I’m a dick, that’s why you keep coming back” opposite.

This article is longer and more enjoyable than a whole row of attempts to like FTL.
If even with good decisions, management and skill it still feels like playing roulette, its not a good way of instilling a sense of player agency or worthwhile investment.
While the trick is not to just hand out free treats to give a sense of achievement, giving a sense of pointlessness is the other extreme, and this guy here, with the many moments of “Yes! A store! Oh, can’t buy anything after 3 repairs and fuel..can’t come back, due to rebel rush” frustration, just makes you feel like “Why am I putting up with an abusive spouse?”.

The sense of finally reaching the end of the sectors has no achievement to it either, as often you basically lucked through, but got there without any decent enough equipment to then withstand even one “final level” jump, and again it feels like the store situation: Nice that you’re here, too bad you didn’t get to bring anything useful so that it might have a point that you are.

And then this suggestion:

Quote:
That impact is significantly lessened by modding the game so that the Rebel Fleet pursues you at a slower rate. You can check out this thread for tips on doing that. I don’t recommend the fix created by the author since the complete disappearance of the Rebel Fleet makes the game way too easy and ruins the tension. I’d recommend a modifyPursuit value of -150 to -250 at the start of the game (START_GAME) and another -50 to -100 for each sector (START_BEACON). Someone said the fleet starts at -750, becomes visible at -600, and gets +50 each time you jump; I haven’t seen this reflected in the game files but it seems to hold true for actual play.

Getting another 11-21 turns this way gives you some leeway for when you’re having a marginal run and the game activates its Rotten Number Generator for three jumps in a row. You’ll still get screwed over, but there’s a glimmer of hope rather than the sickening sound of the game stomping on the kitten of your dreams.

@(Perkies note: the guy who I quoted above) “I have the feeling that a less ‘you have 30 turns,then you’re either souped up or dead’ game would be far more enjoyable.” Seriously look into this modification, it does make FTL far more enjoyable and you can tune the numbers to your own playstyle and/or skill level.

Once you’ve dipped your pen in the ink it’s pretty easy to modify other aspects of the game too, so if you dislike the odds you can pad random events with more positive outcomes. I’m working on some tweaks right now since there are hardcoded “neutral/loss” choices that bug me a lot; e.g. trying to sell the 6-legged ponies gets you nothing or kills a crewmember so you ALWAYS pick the other option and the event is boring. Heck, you can even edit the default names so you don’t have to constantly rename the ones that bother you (Seriously, GMFaux? Ridiculous names are fine but unless I’m making a ship called “1337 Pwn4g3″ then I don’t want a crewmember with an obvious internet handle as their name).

The modding tips are here: http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Mods

Oh, and something about 'stay in a home world sector and you'll be more likely to get an event where you unlock that race's ship'. Hmmm. Apparently the Zoltan ship is badass.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Who doesn't spell damnit with an n?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I certainly do.

The Zoltan ship is pretty nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:11 
Honey Boo Boo

Grim... wrote:
Who doesn't spell damnit with an n?

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -vs-damnit

Back on topic now...

This comment makes a lot of good points:
Quote:
FTL has several structural flaws that keep it from its full potential:

1 – The end boss severely constricts your choice in strategies. You have to play with it in mind since moment one; most of what works during the actual game doesn’t in the final battle.

2 – The theme and gameplay clash. You’re supposed to be fighting ships manned by intelligent beings, but the gameplay makes no effort whatsoever to convey that. You see ships with nonsensical weapon load-outs (only beams and no means to pierce shields), enemies send ion bombs to empty rooms… The AI can even do something with burst lasers you aren’t even allowed to (because it doesn’t make much tactical sense), have each shot hit a different room. Sometimes the AI doesn’t even play by the same rules as you: its FTL drive only starts charging after it decides to flee (and you get a notification of that); yours charges for as long as you have energy on the engines, the AI has no means to know if you are planning on fleeing or not.

3 – Because ammo and repairs are expensive, and to have a chance against the end-boss you must have made a “nearly optimized” trip throughout, the game isn’t allowed to (and does not) throw too many deadly, interesting encounters on you. The fact that these are the ones that tend to stick out in your memory says something, but in 9 out of 10 battles you’ll barely suffer a scratch; sometimes you won’t even use warheads. When you do truly survive by the skin of your teeth, you might as well just give up, because the resources you lost there make it pretty much impossible to survive the end boss. It would be far more interesting if most battles were life or death affairs, and recovering between them was inexpensive.

4 – Generally, deaths just never feel fair. In something like Spelunky you always tell yourself “Ok, in retrospect that was pretty stupid on my part… I totally see why I lost there.” In FTL they just feel capricious and random.

5 – It’s too scripted and constricted. There’s no room for emergent behavior and phenomena to ever sprout in its environment (remember when after stealing an idol in Spelunky, the boulder trap destroyed a merchant’s store, sending it mad after you? Stuff like that needs complex systems where everything interacts with everything in order to happen, not menu driven events with two or 3 choices).

I’d say this game would have promise if it was still in beta, but as a finished product, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
As much as I love FTL, the final boss can eat a bag of dicks. The rest of the game is a wonderful game that engages you, challenges you, more often than not kills you, but follows the same rules it imposes upon you – even if they are occasionally semi-arbitrary just to spice things up.

Which is why I think it’s criminal that the final boss cheats. It keeps using systems you’ve very firmly twatted, it repairs weapons with no-one maintaining them, and whenever you kill it, it comes back, and it comes back cheating more than it has before. It just spoils the game; it’s like suddenly you’re playing against a five year old who makes rules up on the spot with a determined conviction to win against all odds, even if it means rewriting them.

And I know, this sounds like me whining about getting killed, and it’s not. Every damn game ends in epic tragedy. The difference is that dying because of a spreading fire in the engine room and a crippled oxygen recycler is satisfying, whereas dying because drones keep wiping out your shield with lasers even with a thoroughly crippled controller is just frustrating. Fuck that guy.

This and other things leads me to conclude... they broke things so it could have a story. You have to play the whole game with the intention of configuring your ship for the final boss, and hoping that it rolls the dice to even give you the equipment you'll need.

I can forsee a patch coming that adds an 'infinite' mode. No fleet chasing you, no boss, a LOT more encounters and quests. Encounters that don't require a specific upgrade or crewmember to be winnable. Instead of worrying about preparing for the boss, worrying about making a ship that can cope with the rigors of exploring the galaxy. As a counterpoint, I can understand why they thought the game needed a boss... if you played and survived for long enough you'd end up with a fully upgraded ship with a crew of two star badasses and both you and your enemies would have to hit a ceiling/level cap and then there'd be almost no point continuing.

However, the flipside seems to me that in their solution they've completely got the pacing wrong. The 'run! the fleet is chasing you!' thing is best pushed to the back of your mind, you need to see as much of each sector as you can. They also got the balancing wrong, with that extended exploration combined with the loaded coin flips (I am beginning to think dice rolls is giving too much credit) eating up all your money in fuel and repair costs.

If anything, it's an interesting thing to observe from a game design perspective. The underlying structure of running around your ship and fighting is sound, but how to provide an overall purpose?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 18:14 
Honey Boo Boo

My disappointment in the game subsided enough that I started playing again, albeit on Easy, just hoping to at least finish it.

The game is so much more pleasant on Easy. The dice no longer seem to be loaded and you can now survive encounters even if you have had a run of shitty shops and so don't have any good equipment. I also got to play with toys I'd never been able to afford before, like the teleporter. I also also found that I was getting a lot more crew members. A pair of Mantii as a boarding party meant I could chew up the enemy crew and get a lot more goodies as opposed to blowing the ship up.

I had four weapons, two drones, lots of upgrades, my ship was finally beginning to approach the sort of fit I'd like. All my crew were skilled at their chosen jobs, everything's great.

Then you get to the final sector. I needed to go to the various repair bases and instead at each point I was attacked by strong enemies who blew me the fuck up before I even saw the final boss.

That, it turns out, is a blessing, because the final boss is absolutely horrific. The biggest ship you've ever seen, tons of crew, four separate weapon rooms, a triple missile launcher among them. When I encountered it my ship was about as good as I could hope for (I bounce around each sector for as long as possible to get as much stuff as possible) but all I could do was stave off the inevitable. To hell with it.

Further thoughts:
-missiles are unbalanced: they are far too powerful. On the flipside, they're also far too expensive considering how often they will miss!
-having read the wiki on the recommended upgrades for beating the final boss, I don't know how the fuck you're meant to do it on Easy never mind Normal. Even with the increased salvage on Easy you're still going to spend money repairing and refuelling.
-getting more crewmembers is essential but far too dependent on luck. Having an Engi or two on hand is crucial, as is at least one if not two Mantii for defense against boarding parties
-when you nearly defeat an enemy they might offer you a lot of goods if you accept their surrender. On many occasions I am then dealing with repairs while the damage I've done to the enemy rages out of control and they end up asploding anyway. Why the hell can't I then salvage the wreck?
-every store you encounter should be fully stocked... it's annoying to go out of your way to visit and they have maybe one augment and two weapons for sale and the other slots are empty. Finding new and better weapons is crucial and the game is actively working against you here

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 18:47 
Bad Girl

metalangel wrote:

In the words of Sheng-Ji Yang, God does play dice, and the dice are loaded.

Didn't he also say "Finish him. Babeality"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 20:32 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm enjoying this game up to now, then I read this thread and I have a terrible feeling I'm going to end up hating it......

I hate skill-based games that use cheaty RNGs to make themselves 'harder', so I might take Meaty's advice and play on EASY instead as I've opted for NORMAL.

The music is lovely though, nothing can take that away!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmmm yes I don't like this after all, mainly for the reasons expressed earlier.

It's just too damn random and unfair feeling.

As fab as the music is, I can't be bothered with what's basically an advanced dice rolling simulator.

One game you get a good run and everything is great, extra crew members early and so on, next game it all goes to shit despite you not really doing anything wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:34 
Bad Girl

I've not played this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Saturnalian wrote:
I've not played this.

Meaty pretty much nails it with his above posts TBH.

There's clearly a fab game in there somewhere but the randomness of it is just infuriating and makes you feel like you're progressing with luck rather than judgement half the time.

Lovely music though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 17:15 
8-Bit Champion

£2.67 from the developers site and you get a steam key :

http://www.ftlgame.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 18:27 
Hello Hello Hello

Arguably worth a look at that price, but TBH once you get a grip on the cheaty random mechanics - it dies off very quickly.

Well, it did for me anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 21:42 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Arguably worth a look at that price, but TBH once you get a grip on the cheaty random mechanics - it dies off very quickly.

erm welcome back, thought you had flounced?

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Slightly Green wrote:

Today I will mostly be Cavey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Slightly Green wrote:

http://76194.spreadshirt.co.uk/rage-qui ... /color/389

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:10 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

Missed opportunity to have "I'm back now" in small letters on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Slightly Green wrote:

Missed opportunity to have "I'm back now" in small letters on the back.

"Okay, I'm back." - but surely it would go on the front?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:36 
This is bloody difficult.

Hard to get the right balance between trying to gather supplies for the big boss battle without letting them catch you up.

Made it to the boss twice, got my ass kicked both times. Any hints?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

nickachu wrote:
Made it to the boss twice, got my ass kicked both times. Any hints?

Don't expect to win.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 16:58 
I don't expect to get through half the map!

Either with the square shaped ship or the other one, all my crew keep dying too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 18:00 
SavyGamer

It's not that hard. I've even came close to beating the final boss without taking a hit! Beat it's first two forms, but then it got a couple of hits in on it's final form.

I may have sank like 200 hours into it, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 15:36 
Excellent Member

The only time i got to the final boss, i won the game. Although the game is amazing, there wasn't much left to do, as there is not much variation in events. This game is ripe for an expansion pack.

The soundtrack is really amazing, I've been listening every now and then while working.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 15:54 
8-Bit Champion

RuySan wrote:
This game is ripe for an expansion pack.

They confirmed earlier today (on a reddit AMA) that they are working on an expansion pack and then onto something 'new' rather than FTL2

**edit** wording was not as an expansion pack but 'something'

Quote:
[–]SlenderDash 622 points 20 hours ago
For FTL: any sequels, updates, or DLC coming soon?

[–]zasdarqHumble Bundle - FTL 548 points 20 hours ago
While we have some minor stuff in the works for FTL, it's unlikely that we'll be jumping on to a sequel. We'd both be more interested in working on something new and exciting rather than returning to FTL for another 3+ years.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... tl_faster/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 17:36 
8-Bit Champion

An update on the iPad version

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/21/ftl-a ... 0-on-ipad/

Quote:
FTL: Advanced Edition shoots for $10 on iPad

FTL: Advanced Edition on iPad aims for parity with the desktop version, and it includes the full game plus the massive expansion hitting PC soon – and it will cost the same as the PC game, $10. Co-founders of FTL studio Subset Games, Matthew Davis and Justin Ma, recognize that for a mobile game, this is a "premium" price point.

"Presumably the higher price point will make players a little bit more discerning on whether or not FTL will be something that they're interested in," Ma tells Joystiq at GDC. "Which is funny, because we're very expensive on iPad with the same price that's extremely cheap on PC. It could even be the same users that have the different perception of what is a $10 game, just based on the system."

The Advanced Edition is a "pretty huge expansion," Ma says, and it adds polishing touches that Subset couldn't fit in the launch game, even though they wanted to. There's a new "Return to Stations" button that scatters the crew back to their set positions, and on iPad, you can drag a finger to select all workers and move them at the same time into one area, or drag to open a series of doors. Drag to change the levels of the energy bar in the bottom left corner, too. Davis says that one in particular feels really nice.

One thing that didn't translate perfectly to the iPad is the dual-ship view. When your ship encounters another on PC they both populate the screen at the same size. On iPad, one is bigger, and you can change the dominant ship by tapping the one you want to inspect. Tap an attack action, and the enemy ship enlarges.

"FTL works really well with the general way you play on iPad, just because you can pause it at any moment, come back later, and all the little events are bite-sized moments – " Ma says, and Davis adds:

"You can do a jump and play that for two minutes – "

Ma continues, "So that works out very well. And in that way, it's kind of casual, it's just you have to be able to put up with severe disappointment."

FTL: Advanced Edition is due out "soon," the team says.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 19:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's too much money.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 21:25 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
That's too much money.

Why? Russ has spent more on Wallet Quest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 21:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:
Grim... wrote:
That's too much money.

Why? Russ has spent more on Wallet Quest.

People won't buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 13:52 
8-Bit Champion

Live now £6.99 : https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id833951143

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 13:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'll be interested to see how it does - I think that's far too much money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 14:16 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
I'll be interested to see how it does - I think that's far too much money.

Football Manager seems to sell well at that price. Plus the Cave shooters are an eye-watering £11.99 often.

Why is £7 expensive for an iPad game but cheap for the same game on the PC?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 14:57 
SavyGamer

iPad version is solid.

I put 100+ hours into the PC version, and I got that for free, so I was happy to pay asking price for the iPad version.

Better than they mess with the game and fill it with microtransactions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 15:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

British Nervoso wrote:

Because of the prices of the other games available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 16:19 
SavyGamer

But the other games aren't as good as FTL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 18:07 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:

Because of the prices of the other games available.

Irrelevant. Plus there are plenty of games at that price or higher.

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next