Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 
Excellent Member

Alarm wrote:
I decided not to watch the Christmas Who. I will watch it at some point when it's repeated, but this is the first time I've purposively missed an episode.

Just noticed that it is repeated tonight at 7pm on BBC3.
I expect I'll watch it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 16:54 

I've never watched a Christmas episode sober. I think that's the audience they write then for, and it would be churlish to think that they'd do deep and dark sci-fi on Christmas Day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 17:07 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
I've never watched a Christmas episode sober. I think that's the audience they write then for, and it would be churlish to think that they'd do deep and dark sci-fi on Christmas Day.

The Christmas Carol one was excellent science fiction, but I agree in general.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 20:49 
Excellent Member

It was... okay. Bailey and Weir weren't used much, and the 'comedy' jarred a little. Nice effects, but the boy reminded me of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys, which is both good and distracting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:12 

That was fantastic! Really enjoyed the story, and it made the daleks scary again. Didn't see the twist coming either!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Agreed.. The best thing on tv is back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:16 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Do you think they use a random plot generator for Doctor Who, and another generator for his technical dialog?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:47 
Gogmagog

Really liked it. Almost cried.

Didn't see the twist coming, that was very well done.

Love it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:48 
Isn't that lovely?

I really enjoyed it, I did wonder about the twist though, purely because of the nanobots and I wasn't entirely satisfied by her answer when the Doctor asked her about it.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 20:53 
Sleepyhead

She is well hot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:13 
Rude Belittler

That was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

where do all these daleks keep coming from???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bobbyaro wrote:

Well... When a mommy Dalek loves a Daddy Dalek very much....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 21:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Kern wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
http://wifeinspace.com/

Heh. Thanks for this - I'm enjoying dipping in and out of it. Not really tempting me to watch any more old 'Who' though.

I'm up to series 4 I think, what a brilliant blog.
I don't know whether me not having seen the majority of classic Dr Who makes it better or worse :). Regardless, it's very well written, I'm not really that much of Who fan but this blog kept me up till 3am last night reading it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 0:40 
SavyGamer

Enjoyed that.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Wonder if throughout the rest of the series Amy will display some vaguely Dalek qualities.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 

Bobbyaro wrote:

When Dalek Caan escaped the Te th Doctor into the void, he rescued Davros and various Daleks from the time war. They'd already proven themselves able in smaller numbers to have survived the time war, being in some sectors beyond the scope of the ninth doctor's time locking of the war and able to manufacture more Daleks from human DNA.

Some escaped the fall of Davros and the Supreme Dalek at the hands of Donna Noble and a mad Dalek Caan, and went on to get to the point they are at today. Places like the Dalek asylum would not necessarily have been bothered with since before the time war. Skaro didn't look busy, after all.

As Moffat says, though... The Daleks are the most defeated for in the Whoniverse, so you can't ever do too much with them and when you do, you have to be creative. Tonight they served as a vehicle to introduce the new companion. the question is, does The Doctor retrieve her code, essence, whatever and plonk it in a new body. Or have we, as with River Song, seen a new series stalwart die then spend following series filling in the back story? I think the latter is unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 
Goth

Good stuff. Enjoyed that.

I saw the twist in the episode after a fashion.

I figured that she was probably a brain in a jar or some kind of AI unit. I knew for quite a while she definitely wasn't what she appeared to be

Also I fell in love with Oswin. I do hope Clara will be as wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 

DerekFME wrote:
I saw the twist in the episode after a fashion.

Thinking back, it was hidden in plain sight.
How many times, after all, have we seen the Doctor from the perspective of a Dalek's eye-stalk?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I just want to put this here for the rest of the series.

The Doctor didn't see her did he? So he doesn't know what she looks like. That might be something worth remembering for later on but we'll see. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 
Gogmagog

GovernmentYard wrote:
Tonight they served as a vehicle to introduce the new companion. the question is, does The Doctor retrieve her code, essence, whatever and plonk it in a new body. Or have we, as with River Song, seen a new series stalwart die then spend following series filling in the back story? I think the latter is unlikely.

She was left behind the doors on the planet that was being smashified by the ships, though, wasn't she?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:11 
Isn't that lovely?

Nothing stopping the Doctor meeting her before she ends up there. It might be a bit River Songesque, but Moffat does like to reuse his tropes.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 13:17 

I didn't see the twist. She was very Doctor-ish; my mid-episode guess was that she could be his daughter, a regenerated, no-longer-blonde Jenny the Dalek Slayer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 13:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I didn't see the twist. She was very Doctor-ish; my mid-episode guess was that she could be his daughter, a regenerated, no-longer-blonde Jenny the Dalek Slayer.

Spoiler image if you have not seen it

Could just be co-incidence but very similar looking chair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 13:31 
Isn't that lovely?

Could just be reusing props?

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 17:57 
Ezekiel

I'm going to be a moaning bastard and say that, while I enjoyed it as a whole, it was full of poor exposition dialogue and lazy plot conveniences.

"Why can't you just blow it up from here?"

"It has a force field."

"Okay . . . why don't you just turn the force field off?"

"You can only turn it off from inside."

How very handy for filling an episode of a show :) I've only watched the modern Matt Smith Dr Who (in general I hate sci-fi but I started watching it with my girlfriend and have absolutely loved the quality of the writing), but I expect much more clever storytelling than that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 20:49 
Excellent Member

Not a bad episode, the creepiest the daleks have been in a while, certainly. But it all went by too fast, by the time they've set an episode up they're already on their way to escaping and quite a bit of tension and fear and intrigue is lost. I do think they should start concentrating on making lots of two parters. Buffy, you can get away with one parters because it's the same setting each time, but I'm not fully convinced its right for Doctor Who - though of course sometimes it is. (Ie: Gaiman's masterpiece.)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 21:06 

Gaimans episode was nigh on perfect, but the interplay between Doctor and Tardis could easily have carried a two parter. Indeed that episode like last night's had the same Moffat trademark galloping pace to it which I have found just gets tiring after a while. It does work, broadly speaking, but would be more effective in fewer episodes. Problem being cliffhangers seem obligatory for two-parters and they almost always end up having a swift and frequently disappointing resolution in order to get part 2 cantering along like the average episode. Old Who had cliffhangers but could ramp them up over four episodes, or end on a revelatory disclosure, leaving you to think rare than worry.

In any case, Who is a marathon conducted at a sprint these days, a side effect of series all having to have an arc, which we all want answers to and which make us impatient during side plot episodes. At least in series 5 just now True Blood had the decency to resolve several side character's plot lines before the final episodes.

Fringe, bless it, does the pacing just right. Often the main series arc isn't telegraphed, or you've forgotten it by the time you are halfway, eleven episodes of monster of the week stuff episodes deep. Also it is doing a Babylon 5-ish thing of having one overarching plot arc, to which sufficient is linked to prevent it being an X-Files situation where the arc plot ruins it.

I suppose in a way the same is true of Who. I am quite sure Moffat has an arc to it all which transcends the Silence imbroglio, much as RTD had the Time War aftermath or if you prefer Rose Tyler arc, which was bloodthirsty enough to consume two Doctor reincarnations and one Master and placed reality and so on in several certain doom scenarios over that run. In which case Moffat's Who should feel more like Fringe does.

It doesn't, though, because of the pacing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 0:47 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:53 
Excellent Member

Her typing annoyed me. Just hit the same keys.

Aside from that, excellent. Didn't see the twist coming and loved how it balanced tragedy and the Amy/Rory relationship.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:09 
8-Bit Champion

BBC America got a very short prequel to this weeks episode which you can watch here - its suppose to take place just before the opening credits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 
8-Bit Champion

Gaiman Wins Hugo For Doctor's Wife And Teases New Episode

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/09/ga ... witterfeed

Quote:
Author Neil Gaiman won a Hugo Award for The Doctor's Wife last night - and revealed that he was working on another Doctor Who script.

His Series 6 story won in the Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form category, beating four other nominations that included The Girl Who Waited, by Tom MacRae, and A Good Man Goes To War, by Steven Moffat.

During his acceptance speech, Gaiman said: "Only a fool or a mad man would try to do it again . . . so I'm on the third draft."

Just when this episode might air is, of course, open to speculation. The Doctor's Wife had originally been scheduled for Series 5 but was pushed back a year because of budget pressures.

The Doctor's Wife, which was directed by Richard Clark, also won the 2011 Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation in this year's Nebula Awards.

It is the sixth Hugo for Doctor Who since the series returned in 2005. Other winners this year included Doctor Who writer Paul Cornell, who was part of the team that won the Best Fancast award.

The Hugo Awards were presented at Chicon 7 - the 70th World Science Fiction Convention - held at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 15:03 
8-Bit Champion

Interesting take on stopping people pirating the show in Australia

http://www.news.com.au/technology/abc-w ... 6460269988

Quote:
THE ABC is sending Doctor Who back in time so that the sci-fi legend materialises online a week before new episodes air on TV.

In an Australian first, the new adventures of Amy, Rory and The Doctor will be available on the ABC's iView player from 5.10am AEST on Sunday September 2, just hours after the first episode airs in the UK.

The show will then reappear in the future, on ABC1at 7:30pm the following Saturday, September 8.

This is the first time a big blockbuster TV show will air in full on an Australian online player within hours of its official release elsewhere.

In 2010, the ABC screened the first episode of Doctor Who on iView before it aired on TV, but the episodes came two weeks after the BBC screened them in the UK.

ABC1 controller Brendan Dahill said the decision to air the show online before television was motivated by a desire to reduce piracy, as well as fulfill the needs of drooling Whovians, who have waited almost a year for the new series.

" Piracy is wrong, as you are denying someone their rights and income for their intellectual property," Mr Dahill said. "The fact that it is happening is indicative that as broadcasters we are not meeting demand for a segment of the population.

"So as broadcasters we need to find convenient ways of making programs available via legal means to discourage the need for piracy."

Mr Dahill said that the ABC's iView "is the most watched catch-up TV service in Australia". Almost one in two online Australians aged 16-plus having used iView.

"The new iView app for iPhones and iPod Touch, launched on June 26, has seen a phenomenal 434,000 downloads recorded to date, with 210,000 downloads recorded in its first week,"Mr Dahill said.

But he also acknowledged that the ABC did not have to compete for ratings like other channels, allowing it to make broadcasting decisions that provide convenience and choice for its audience.

The decision to air Doctor Who online came just a week after News Ltd CEO Kim Williams made an impassioned speech at the Australian International Movie Convention, where he called piracy "scumbag theft" by "copyright kleptomaniacs of the digital age".

http://www.news.com.au/technology/docto ... 6464114699

Quote:
MORE people downloaded the first episode of Doctor Who legally in 24 hours than the most popular illegally downloaded show over a whole month.

The ABC received the highest amount of daily plays on iView ever after airing the premiere episode of Doctor Who on Sunday - just hours after it aired in the UK.

In comparison, the most heavily downloaded television show in Australia - How I Met Your Mother - was pirated 37 458 over the month of February last year, according to marketing and metrics company, Jumpwire Media.

Asylum of the Daleks received 75,900 plays in less than 24 hours after it aired on Sunday at 5.10am, in Aunty’s novel attempt to stop users from pirating the episode illegally.

That number only makes up about 10 per cent of the show's potential TV audience, in its current Saturday 7.30pm timeslot, however the number is significant as it means that the ABC's bid appears to have been successful.

The episode aired online almost a week before it hits TV screens on ABC1.

News Ltd asked Channels 7, 9, and 10, along with Foxtel, whether the encouraging figures would prompt the content providers to prevent piracy by adopting a digital route, airing the latest TV shows online before broadcasting them on TV.

Foxtel told News Ltd it would continue to innovate, including providing content online.

"Foxtel, of course, supports lawful consumer access to content," the spokesperson said.

"It's important to make content available to our subscribers across multiple platforms.

"We already provide internet-based services including Foxtel on Xbox 360, Foxtel on Internet TV, Foxtel on T-Box, and Apps for mobiles and tablets.

The spokesperson said Foxtel was pleased with the response to its London2012 tablet app for the Olympics and that it would be launching a new app later this year on which it would deliver some of its "most popular channels and programs".

Channel Ten told News Ltd it had previously offered viewers the chance to watch full episodes of programs ahead of broadcast.

Users who "liked" the Puberty Blues Facebook page were offered the ability to watch the first episode in full online before it aired on TV.

"A similar offering was made to Offspring fans ahead of the beginning of series three (April this year)," the spokesperson said. "The full episode catch-up service on our website is very successful."

Offspring received a weekly viewing average of 400,000 views online, and Puberty Blues racked up 520,000 online views over week one, two and three, the spokesperson told News Ltd.

Channel 10 did not say whether it would be following the ABC's lead by offering complete series in full online before they air on TV.

Channel Seven and Nine both declined to comment.

ABC1 controller Brendan Dahill told News Ltd that airing Doctor Who online had been a "stunning success" and suggested that audiences would watch content legally if they were offered options that were convenient and simple to use.

The ABC is still trying to find out how many people illegally downloaded the episode last night so they can properly measure the success of its online venture.

Commercial TV's current business models still rely on television to sell advertising, but Mr Dahill said it shouldn't be important what platform viewers watch their favourite programs on.

"It's about great content, delivered in ways that are convenient and accessible to our viewers," he said.

However, the ABC1 controller acknowledged that it was precisely because the ABC did not have to rely on ratings and advertising that it was able to experiment with new transmission options.

As for whether other broadcasters will take up the challenge, Mr Dahill said that was for each and every broadcaster to judge for themselves "alongside their business model".

"However, we are seeing tightening of release windows around the world, not just for TV but also for movies," he said.

"The rise of social media has meant an increased risk of spoilers if shows are delayed."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 15:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

2 things on that

"In comparison, the most heavily downloaded television show in Australia - How I Met Your Mother - was pirated 37 458 over the month of February last year, according to marketing and metrics company, Jumpwire Media.

Asylum of the Daleks received 75,900 plays in less than 24 hours after it aired on Sunday at 5.10am, in Aunty’s novel attempt to stop users from pirating the episode illegally."

I'd really like to know how they came about the figures for How I Met Your Mother downloads...

and

" Piracy is wrong, as you are denying someone their rights and income for their intellectual property," Mr Dahill said. "The fact that it is happening is indicative that as broadcasters we are not meeting demand for a segment of the population."

Fuck me, someone from a broadcaster who actually seems to get it, there is hope.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 
8-Bit Champion

And going from that positive note to

http://io9.com/5940036/how-copyright-en ... ugo-awards

Quote:
Last night, robots shut down the live broadcast of one of science fiction's most prestigious award ceremonies. No, you're not reading a science fiction story. In the middle of the annual Hugo Awards event at Worldcon, which thousands of people tuned into via video streaming service Ustream, the feed cut off — just as Neil Gaiman was giving an acceptance speech for his Doctor Who script, "The Doctor's Wife." Where Gaiman's face had been were the words, "Worldcon banned due to copyright infringement." What the hell?

Jumping onto Twitter, people who had been watching the livestream began asking what was going on. How could an award ceremony have anything to do with copyright infringement?

Bestselling science fiction author Tobias Buckell tweeted:

tobiasbuckell @tobiasbuckell

Oh, FFS. Ustream just shut down live worldcon feed for copyright infringement.
3 Sep 12

And then it began to dawn on people what happened. Gaiman had just gotten an award for his Doctor Who script. Before he took the stage, the Hugo Awards showed clips from his winning episode, along with clips from some other Doctor Who episodes that had been nominated, as well as a Community episode.

Wrote Macworld editorial director Jason Snell:

Jason Snell @jsnell
Ustream just shut down the #Hugos live stream because they showed clips of the TV nominees. Automated copyright patrols ruin more things.

This was, of course, absurd. First of all, the clips had been provided by the studios to be shown during the award ceremony. The Hugo Awards had explicit permission to broadcast them. But even if they hadn't, it is absolutely fair use to broadcast clips of copyrighted material during an award ceremony. Unfortunately, the digital restriction management (DRM) robots on Ustream had not been programmed with these basic contours of copyright law.

And then, it got worse. Amid more cries of dismay on Twitter, Reddit, and elsewhere, the official Worldcon Twitter announced:

We are sorry to report that #Ustream will not resume the video feed. #chicon7 #hugos #worldcon

And with that, the broadcast was officially cut off. Dumb robots, programmed to kill any broadcast containing copyrighted material, had destroyed the only live broadcast of the Hugo Awards. Sure, we could read what was happening on Twitter, or get the official winner announcement on the Hugo website, but that is hardly the same. We wanted to see our heroes and friends on that stage, and share the event with them. In the world of science fiction writing, the Hugo Awards are kind of like the Academy Awards. Careers are made; people get dressed up and give speeches; and celebrities rub shoulders with (admittedly geeky) paparazzi. You want to see and hear it if you can.

But Ustream's incorrectly programmed copyright enforcement squad had destroyed our only accesss. It was like a Cory Doctorow story crossed with RoboCop 2, with DRM robots going crazy and shooting indiscriminately into a crowd of perfectly innocent broadcasts.

And who did we have recourse to? We couldn't file a legal complaint in time to see io9's Charlie Jane Anders accept the Hugo for best novelette. And Ustream was completely unresponsive. As of today, September 3, people who posted queries on UStream's site have yet to be answered.

The point is, our ability to broadcast was entirely dependent on poorly-programmed bots. And once those bots had made their incorrect decision, there was absolutely nothing we could do to restart the signal, as it were. In case anyone still believes that copyright rules can't stop free speech or snuff out a community, the automated censorship of the Hugo Awards is a case in point.

Robots killed our legitimate broadcast. Welcome to the present.

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 18:54 
Master of dodgy spelling....

New phone case.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346867646.391776.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:24 

KovacsC wrote:
New phone case.

Want.

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:25 
Master of dodgy spelling....

eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 20:28 

'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' was quite clearly on giant flick of the finger to ITV.

Enjoyable enough; probably won't be making an extra effort to watch it again. Liked Queen Neffie though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 20:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is that because of that Dinosaur show with the girl from S club?

I enjoyed it this week... Next weeks looks even better!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 22:23 

This week was fun until I started thinking about it. Yet another incredibly rushed into, though. Getting a bit fed up of those. If Chibnall is being groomed to replace Moffat, we may be in trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 22:29 
Sleepyhead

I thought it was a funny little episode. Nicely self-contained (unless it starts to link bits, which is cool) and nonsense. Piss taking of Snakes on a Plane, Jurrasic Park, That ITV Show With Dinosaurs etc.

Bit surprised to see El Doctor apparently kill someone though! Wonder if there will be repercussions for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 22:33 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Unlikely

Quote:
I think he'll bump into him in a cafe in the south of france, because we all forgot about the autopilot

Seen on twitter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:13 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Curiosity wrote:
Bit surprised to see El Doctor apparently kill someone though! Wonder if there will be repercussions for that.

I thought it was nice to see the Doctor being a bastard again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:29 
Isn't that lovely?

It reminded me of the first christmas special, where he gave the creature 1 chance to leave, he didn't so he pushed him over the edge of the space ship.

He admitted to piracy and genocide and then shot the tricerotops, the doctor was pissed with him.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 14:29 
Goth

I thought this week's episode was shit. And I love it when it's all futuristic and stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 14:45 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Anyway

The Doctor didn't kill anyone. He took one bad person who was facing certain death and took action to sacrifice him to prevent a lot more people (including the dinosaurs) from the suffering the same certain death.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 21:00 
Gogmagog

I quite enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 21:56 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 16:22 
8-Bit Champion

I wonder if Chinny has seen this yet :

http://tv.uk.msn.com/drama/the-apprenti ... doctor-who

Quote:
Lord Sugar will see you now, Doctor Who. Yes, look out for The Apprentice boss as himself in the popular BBC1 sci-fi series.

In the episode entitled The Power of Three, due to be broadcast on 22 September, the Time Lord (Matt Smith) and the Ponds (Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill) face an unlikely invasion of Earth when millions of sinister black cubes arrive overnight. The Doctor and his companions must investigate.

However, what's calamitous for the planet is merely another task in The Apprentice as Lord Sugar pounces on the opportunity, tasking his candidates with selling as many of the cubes as they can.

The clip also features Nick Hewer and Karren Brady, Lord Sugar's eyes and ears on the business-based reality show. The Apprentice trio are the latest to put in a cameo, joining a list that includes: Ann Widdecombe, Paul O' Grady, Sharon Osbourne, Barbara Windsor and Davina McCall.

I fully expect Lord Sugar ("I don't give a stuff about yer blaaahdy Tardis, mate. Make me some money!") to steal every scene from Matt Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 16:36 

That... that sounds awful.

Reply to topic  [ 4310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 87  Next