Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Football 2011/2012
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:46 
Excellent Member

Two Hundred Percent make a point

Quote:
It should go without saying that no-one in their right mind would approve of Staceys behaviour that evening but, with the media being the media, wires are already being crossed with regard to what Stacey is actually finding himself at her majesty’s pleasure for. The inclination of the press to join narratives (and Twitter plus racism plus Fabrice Muamba may well be some sort of tabloid fruit machine jackpot) means that it may be a common assumption that Stacey has been imprisoned for what he say about Muamba, a theory that seems borne out out by the judge’s comments that, “It was racist abuse via a social networking site instigated as a result of a vile and abhorrent comment about a young footballer who was fighting for his life.” But Stacey has actually been imprisoned for his behaviour towards people that complained about his initial outburst. The devil, as so often in legal proceedings, is in the detail.

Edit: So not the tweet itself, but the way he dealt with the fall out.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 15:49 

Spot on, but let's not ignore the symbiotic relationship between the two sins... nor the frequency of replication amongst other guffbeaks like him.

/edit and, just as I was talking about far right groups and legal restrictions: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17514394

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:14 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
Two Hundred Percent make a point

Quote:
It should go without saying that no-one in their right mind would approve of Staceys behaviour that evening but, with the media being the media, wires are already being crossed with regard to what Stacey is actually finding himself at her majesty’s pleasure for. The inclination of the press to join narratives (and Twitter plus racism plus Fabrice Muamba may well be some sort of tabloid fruit machine jackpot) means that it may be a common assumption that Stacey has been imprisoned for what he say about Muamba, a theory that seems borne out out by the judge’s comments that, “It was racist abuse via a social networking site instigated as a result of a vile and abhorrent comment about a young footballer who was fighting for his life.” But Stacey has actually been imprisoned for his behaviour towards people that complained about his initial outburst. The devil, as so often in legal proceedings, is in the detail.

Edit: So not the tweet itself, but the way he dealt with the fall out.

Well, yes. All the first tweet said was along the lines of "Muamba is dead, LOL", it was the follow ups to people calling him a sick bastard where he started randomly spouting racist abuse. I was following it at the time, as I follow Stan Collymore and he was retweeting it all.

I can agree with punishment, and I think everyone agrees he was a dick, but the severity seems excessive for what was just a very drunk person acting like a massive, massive tool.

It reminds me of an inverted version of the Twitter Joke Trial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:15 

He deserves an extra month for not having learned from the Twitter Joke Trial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
[...]I follow Stan Collymore and he was retweeting it all.

Er... Doesn't that mean he could be in trouble too, technically?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:19 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
[...]I follow Stan Collymore and he was retweeting it all.

Er... Doesn't that mean he could be in trouble too, technically?

Unlikely, as he was doing it and reporting it to the police, whilst saying how much of a wanker this guy was.

I dunno. Report him to the police if you want!
:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 16:19 

IF you see a tweet like that on a phone and can't printscreen>paint>ctrl+v then retweeting is the simplest way of preserving it for the police to see. That's the accepted yet entirely technically just as bad defence he's not been asked to make, yet. It's not a problem unless someone makes it one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:43 
Rude Belittler

Hang on, I'm off to report Collymore for publishing racially unacceptable language on the internet. That'll teach him for being shit at Villa.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 18:59 
Rude Belittler

Although, to be fair, he was shit at Liverpool too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 21:09 
Excellent Member

His first FA Cup goal was for Burnley. I was there.

He wasn't playing for us at the time, either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 22:02 
Worst

Curiosity wrote:
I can agree with punishment, and I think everyone agrees he was a dick, but the severity seems excessive for what was just a very drunk person acting like a massive, massive tool.

Alcohol is not a defence for any crime. He wrote what he did, and now he's paying the penalty. I agree with t'others that 56 days or whatnot is a fine deterrent. If he didn't want an example to be made of him, he shouldn't have been so hateful.

Grim... mentions the 'famous victim' thing, but this belmer went on the way he did precisely because Muamba is famous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 22:21 

Pundabaya wrote:
Although, to be fair, he was shit at Liverpool too.

He was incredible at Forest :DD

/edit gotta post this now:

Literally every time he took possession, the entire City ground stood up until he lost it again. How often do you get a player like that these days? It was a one-off thing, him and us. Never see the like again for as long as I support them, probably. When you watch him, you'll notice he used to pull the trigger earlier than anyone else, so it didn't matter that the keeper was doing everything right, the shot would come before it had any right to, and it would go in. Liverpool tried to train that out of him, then his head went anyway.

Should have had a decade leading the line with Shearer :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 23:38 
Excellent Member

I always had a soft spot for Collymore, TBH. Even in retirement, he seems like an intelligent bloke who isn't allowed to say what he really thinks when being a pundit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 0:29 

Back in our dark Megson days, when everything was, well... like it is now with Cotterill, we ran a campaign off our Forum for Collymore to come out of retirement and save our arses. He came on our forum for a couple of hours one evening and thanked us but explained that having got a steady family and children he didn't want to put them through the media attention, and chatted about various things.

Absolute star. This was pre-twitter, of course. We did the diligence on making sure it was him as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 18:10 
Worst

Plissken wrote:
I always had a soft spot for Collymore, TBH. Even in retirement, he seems like an intelligent bloke who isn't allowed to say what he really thinks when being a pundit.

I like him as a TV character, and his anti-racist visibility is commendable. However, I'm not about to forget his girlfriend battering past.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 18:52 
Rude Belittler

I've pondered whether it was a case of a perfect situation at Forest which Forest took advantage of, selling high because they knew Collymore wasn't THAT good, or Collymore was that good, and Liverpool ruined him by overly restricting him to 'target man' status, and thus destroying his confidence.

All I know for sure is those goals at Villa worked out pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 23:40 

John Gregory was a major enemy of Collymore, wasn't he?

He was the Torres of his day, in a way. 8.5 million back then was stupid, stupid money for any player alive. Still is.

Apart from the violent outbursts someone always manages to mention, depression can have a number of weird effects on the mind, thrill seeking being one of them. Score a goal, the chemicals start flowing and you feel better for a while. This effect gives diminishing returns and you seek bigger, higher stakes 'hits' of feelgood brain juice. Collymore was looking for this when he went to Liverpool and when he went dogging and so on, he's admitted as much. I'm quite sure Frank would have kept Collymore if he could have, Clark was building a side but at the same time SC was becoming more erratic in training and twatted Alfie Haaland, a behaviour usually reserved for the Keanes of this world. A combo of too good a price + player's instability becoming apparent + he thinks he's as good as he actually is = sell him. That said, I'm yet to see a player that is as exciting on the ball, intimidating for opponents or capable as a trigger-man. I really do consider him a one-off and his unique qualities are not something one can put a price on, 8 million or otherwise.

I'd give his book "Tackling my Demons" a read... it's not backward in coming forward. His facing up to himself makes me admire him more than any of these 'clean' sportsmen we're supposed to idolise. On a Forest tip, John Robertson's biography "Super Tramp" is also a really good read. He's had his own tribulations in life with his daughter's cerebral palsy. A team with Shilton, Pearce, Robertson and Collymore in it would have been literally impossible to play against along their left hand side.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 17:09 
Sleepyhead

Stiliyan Petrov, Villa's captain, has been diagnosed with acute leukaemia.

:(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 18:09 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:

I look forward to the hilarious 'shit blood, no chance' chants from the opposition fans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 18:17 
Sleepyhead

myp wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I look forward to the hilarious 'shit blood, no chance' chants from the opposition fans.

I dunno, he's quite a popular chap. Probably been irradiated by McLeish in a bid to reverse falling attendances.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 
Gogmagog

Tight a tthe top of League one. I'm getting proper nervous, now. I expect Wednesday to cock it up massively from ehre on in, having done the lion's share of the hard work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:01 
Sleepyhead

myp wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The Chelsea fans were, by all accounts, really good at the weekend; giving Stan a standing ovation on the 19th minute.

Nice to see football fans not being massive cretins, though a shame that it always seems to be such a surprise when it happens!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 22:38 
Time Out for Fun

Story about a German goalkeeper who is the only player to play football for a team in each of the 6 FIFa confederations, was jailed for match fixing, and was declared dead on the football pitch but is still alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17593237

Choice quote about the match fixing.

"The area where I played - South East Asia - is basically the capital of match fixing. In my case it was strange because I was actually accused of playing too well. Two games we won and one game was a draw where I was man of the match. If a judge in court tells you you've played better than you normally do it's not really logical."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 21:15 

So the title is all but over then. Arsenal totally deserved their win earlier, and can't believe how hateful that Balotelli is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 13:38 
Massive game for blackburn tonight. Can see them snatching a win off Liverpool who have nothing in the league to play for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 15:14 
Comfortably Dumb

nickachu wrote:
Massive game for blackburn tonight. Can see them snatching a win off Liverpool who have nothing in the league to play for now.

If Liverpool were playing for their lives, they'd still struggle right now. I'm glad I'm only a casual fan of them as it's getting harder to root for them - Suarez seems to spend entire matches moaning and big money signings like Carroll and Henderson seem to consistently under-perform. Their whole handling of the Suarez racism thing was poor too.

I'd like Blackburn to stay up, so I certainly won't mind them getting a win tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:43 
Excellent Member

Agent Starling wrote:
can't believe how hateful that Balotelli is.

I genuinely believe that on an IQ scale, he is a moron. Problem is, he has been cossetted and indulged because he is an amazing footballer. He possesses the raw skill and natural physique to be one of the best in the world. But his brain is barely capable of working his legs and breathing at the same time, so he doesn't even have a footballing mind let alone any awareness of the world around him. It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years he is diagnosed with some kind of mental illness where he believes he lives in a consequence free world.

(Re-reading this, it sounds like I'm having a go, but I think we're looking at another Gazza, where people are watching a sublime talent implode and no-one is helping it stop because they've got too much interest in it continuing.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 21:55 
Comfortably Dumb

I've got no idea how Liverpool managed to actually win that in the end - they seemed determined to screw it up completely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 
Try supporting blackburn!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 19:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Muamba is now home and appears to be all in one piece, not clear yet if he'll be able (or desire) to play football again.

He does appear to be getting a bit 'Goddy' about it all (the power of prayer rather than, y'know, science and stuff), but still, good to see.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... tt-parkers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -dead.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 19:10 
Sleepyhead

Indeed. Great to see him better, but I wonder if he would have done as well had the consultant cardiologist not run out on to the pitch and given him the best care and sent him to the right hospital?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 20:09 

Also that guy (the doctor), was, I believe, only at the match 'cos his mate couldn't go and gave him the ticket instead.

MAKES YOU THINK! Etc.

Oh yeah, agree about the "power of prayer" nonsense, since clearly it was medicine that saved him, still he can believe whatever he likes I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 23:19 
Time Out for Fun

You cynics! I was agnostic but my beloved Newcastle is making me think differently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
You cynics! I was agnostic but my beloved Newcastle is making me think differently.

Your faith will be destroyed when Newcastle finish 4th, only to be denied Champions League entry when John Terry leads his brave Chelsea boys to European glory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 
Gogmagog

Gets worse for Utd after Ched Evans is jailed for rape (I don't quite udnerstand why he was, but the other was freed), Mr Brown has said some naughty things on twitter.

Also, United lost on Saturday, Wednesday won, so it's even tighter regarding the automatic promotion spots now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 14:28 
Rude Belittler

Ah, that rape case was like something out of Shameless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 15:51 

As has the response to it been. The cycle goes like this:

1: Person A purportedly rapes person B, a court case ensues.

2: Verdict is announced, supporters of person A take to the internet, often being crass and illogical.

3: Detractors of Person A challenge them with equally rabid stuff

4: Rational, emotionally detached people weigh in, having had their forums and feeds spammed to shit over the issue, and make balanced observation.

5: Supporters of Person B accuse rational, emotionally detached people of being pro-rape because they don't just outright condemn everything and everyone that has ever been associated with the possibility of rape.

6: I start unfollowing previously reasonable people for saying things like "Anyone who criticises the behaviour of the victim is a potential rapist" because the sentence should read "anyone is a potential rapist"

7: Trolls begin finding people who have said "He's guilty, END OF" and asking them if they'll be equally determined in their assertions if he gets let off on appeal.

8: A phase now begins where the clinically rabid are so fragmented that they start arguing with one another, hashtags could be sarcastic or otherwise and all in all it's easier to close your browser and play some games.

9: One forgets all about it

10: The following day, it turns out the victim has been named by one of the perpetrator's team mates and the whole carousel starts spinning round again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17810574

/edit ah, which Mali had already indicated. Soz.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 16:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ, "she was too drunk to consent to intercourse" is a pretty terrifying thought.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:32 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, who actually draws that line? How long till the breathalizer becomes part of the usual bedroom furniture? "sorry love, you'll have to blow this, before you blow that"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can totally understand it if she's passed out and non-responsive (and I know nothing about the trail apart from what I just read on those two BBC news pages), but the judge seemed to be suggesting that she must have been too drunk to consent because of the way she "fell into his friend while walking".

To be honest, going by that I've probably raped a fair few women - and about the same number have raped me :S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:17 
Sleepyhead

Given that the first bloke was found not guilty, it would seem that she went back with him, whilst wasted, they had sex, then whn AE was either unconscious or just generally chemically inconvenienced, in came Mr Evans and had a go too.

Or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:23 

Not suggesting anyone has or is about to, but please don't trivialise rape. The bar is fucking HIGH for a conviction as it is. We didn't sit in on the trial. Speculation ain't a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 18:00 
Hello Hello Hello

WTB wrote:
Not suggesting anyone has or is about to, but please don't trivialise rape.

Attachment:
jackie.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 19:10 

So, hopefully Chelsea will get stuffed tonight. Barcelona have wobbled a bit in the last week, but surely it won't happen again?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 19:33 

Rangers... Anyone give a shit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 19:45 
Worst

Agent Starling wrote:
So, hopefully Chelsea will get stuffed tonight. Barcelona have wobbled a bit in the last week, but surely it won't happen again?

Ahhh, it's on!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 20:05 
Excellent Member

GovernmentYard wrote:

Apart from the terribly amusing sight of seeing one half of Glasgow going into an utter conspiracy meltdown, not really. And they can get fucked if they even think of trying to join the English leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 20:07 
Rude Belittler

GovernmentYard wrote:

I feel a bit sorry for the fans who aren't complete knobbers, but this is Rangers we're talking about, non-knobber fans are in a vast minority,so no, not really.

In the interests of fairness, Celtic could spontaneously combust, and I wouldn't give a shit about them either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 21:36 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

It was somewhat predictable that Torres would score, wasn't it.

Sky sports commentary has all gone a bit Brazilian.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 21:39 

Oh my. That was fucking funny. Fuck off Barcelona, fuck off John Terry. Let Chelsea beat Real because they're wankers too... Then Abramovich can get bored and flog the team so we can have the club I used to not mind back.

Reply to topic  [ 901 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next