Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 614  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:59 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Darn, I'm off to the folks in the country this weekend, with a round trip of about 320 miles. I think I can do that on a single tank, but I don;t know if the yokels in Dorset will have bought all the petrol for their broken down old estates with bales of straw in the boot, or if the fact that they don't hold with these fancy Londoners and their ways will mean that they've carried on as normal. I'd fill up before we left anyway, but I'll make sure I cram every last drop full.

It's an interesting demonstration of how modern logistics chains and societies dependency on cars can really bite us on the arse pretty quick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 

BikNorton wrote:
Fucking hell. The cheap (136.9) Shell near work was dry yesterday, and this morning there were long queues at the expensive one (140.9*) near home, which already had half its pumps empty.

Fucking fucking idiots - both cars are getting low now.

* This one is run by a bunch of cynical customer-abusing bastards - they regularly put the price up for the weekend, but it went up 1p the day of the budget, another the day after and a third when the tanker strike panic started. Cunts. The cheap one on the other hand hasn't gone up at all.

I walked into town yesterday and the shell garage had cones an a length of rope up to stop cars going in. I thought this was because they might have some technical problems but I have just realised that it was probably because they had run out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 
Gogmagog

MOT for the Ka booked in. Somewhere in Bradford, on the advice of a colleague. Should be fun, first thing in the morning with my sense of direction. Lots of queues at the petrol stations around here, apparently, but I can walk to work and back, as can MrsA, so that's good. I'm more worried about it messing up our Occado deliveries.

Post subject: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:32 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Interesting that Aviva and some other insurers don’t care about when I passed my test, only what licence I have (full) and when I obtained it, starting from provisional level. Need to ring up to make absolutely sure about it, but it looks like I might not get shafted quite as hard on this as I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 

I'm not convinced that the length of time you've had your licence has a noticeable difference to insurance premium. NCD and location seem to be the main factors (after the type of car, obviously, and a Focus is a pretty left-field choice so might be significantly cheaper to insure by default compared to the usual barry-wagons.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 

GazChap wrote:
I'm not convinced that the length of time you've had your licence has a noticeable difference to insurance premium. NCD and location seem to be the main factors (after the type of car, obviously, and a Focus is a pretty left-field choice so might be significantly cheaper to insure by default compared to the usual barry-wagons.)

Having no NCB is shafting me by default, but putting 5 years* down for my licence instead of 0 is the difference between £2k and £1250 on online checks, and I’ll haggle that down over the phone. I’m still getting fucked up the arse regardless, but it’s a fair saving so far.

* Even asking when I got my full driving licence, it’s 4.5 years. It’s only adding the car entitlement that’s been recent, but it all depends on what the insurers are asking of me. Semantics and details ahoy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:01 
Awesome
Yes

The biggest thing that shafts you up the arse is your postcode. Which I found out when my insurance premiums doubled after moving house.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:22 
Isn't that lovely?

Mr Russell wrote:
The biggest thing that shafts you up the arse is your postcode. Which I found out when my insurance premiums doubled after moving house.

Yeah,

We moved from a busy main road with no parking in a city to a the end of a cul-de-sac with a private drive in the suburbs of a small town and our insurance almost doubled because our postcode changed from an EX to a PL (Exeter to near Plymouth)

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:22 
Comfortably Dumb

MaliA wrote:
MOT for the Ka booked in. Somewhere in Bradford, on the advice of a colleague. Should be fun, first thing in the morning with my sense of direction. Lots of queues at the petrol stations around here, apparently, but I can walk to work and back, as can MrsA, so that's good. I'm more worried about it messing up our Occado deliveries.

You won't get many deliveries done in a Ka.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:28 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Petrol stations here all have massive queues - however i had to fill up so i waited - new guidelines are fill up when you hit the half way point in your tank .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17545739

Quote:
The government has advised motorists to refill tanks when half-empty ahead of a possible fuel drivers' strike.

Energy Minister Ed Davey clarified advice after government calls to "top up" tanks were blamed for some panic-buying at petrol stations.

Labour leader Ed Miliband called for an apology, saying the prime minister was "presiding over a shambles on petrol".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:29 
ugvm'er at heart...

Tomorrows guideline statement

"Look, just pretend we didn't say anything at all... please..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:32 

Mr Russell wrote:

The new house is in a nicer area, fortunately, so I’m sticking that address down even though I’m not moving in for another week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:34 
Excellent Member

I filled my car up yesterday, £68.37. I also bought a Creme Egg.

There were no queues for either.

And I'm glad my car doesn't run on Creme Eggs because they are seriously fucking expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:53 

Not as expensive as Kinder Eggs :'(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

A litre of petrol has 34MJ of energy. A Creme egg has 0.7MJ, so for every litre of petrol a normal car would use, your creme egg car would need 49 creme eggs, which would cost £25, so yes, creme eggs would be a very expensive alternative fuel, and that's assuming a cost of 50p per egg, which is fairly low.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:10 
Gogmagog

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Oh FFS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:26 
Honey Boo Boo

Top Gear where they go 'caravanning' was just on. As James crashes the caravan into a post, the sign for the service station was visible.

96.9 for unleaded, 99.9 for diesel. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:32 

Mr Russell wrote:
The biggest thing that shafts you up the arse is your postcode.
Postcodes cover a pretty big area, so I certainly hope it is the biggest thing that's shafted you up the arse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:33 

metalangel wrote:
96.9 for unleaded, 99.9 for diesel. :(
It was 69.9p per litre for four star when I passed my test in (I think) 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:34 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
The biggest thing that shafts you up the arse is your postcode.
Postcodes cover a pretty big area, so I certainly hope it is the biggest thing that's shafted you up the arse.

<mutters>

BD18

</mutters>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 14:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a photo in a book I've got of the McLaren F1 road car sitting outside a petrol station in 1995. 54.5p for petrol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:19 
8-Bit Champion

I do remember the 49.9 price point that stuck there for ages because no-one wanted to go over 50p (timewise probably early 90's) , and I also have childhood memorys of prices in gallons ......

Anyway - Dorset Police are telling the petrol station owners to close them down ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/03 ... 87445.html

Quote:
Dorset Police have asked all petrol stations in the county to shut due to the "irresponsible" actions of motorists panic buying fuel amid fears of strikes.

In a statement given on Thursday afternoon, the force said it was advising members of the public not to panic buy fuel following reports of traffic congestion at petrol stations around the county.

Chief Inspector Nick Maton said: "There is no disruption to the fuel supply in the UK and members of the public should not panic buy.

“The actions of some motorists in queuing irresponsibly at petrol stations is causing danger to other road users.

“Police are taking action, requesting petrol stations to close temporarily in order to keep traffic flowing.

He added: “Once the queues have dispersed, the petrol stations may re-open for short periods.”

Sales of petrol and diesel increased dramatically yesterday as motorists flocked to garages to fill up following controversial advice from the government ahead of a possible strike by fuel tanker drivers.

Petrol sales shot up by 81% and diesel by 43%, according to the Petrol Retailers Association, which represents around 5,500 garages across the UK.

A spokesman blamed advice from the government on keeping tanks topped up, including the much-criticised call by Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude to fill up jerry cans.

"This is exactly what we didn't want - people panic buying. Deliveries are still being made to garages and we are advising people to continue with their normal buying habits."

While Jon Hall, chief fire officer for both Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Gloucestershire Trading Standards, said filling cans with petrol was extremely dangerous and presented a major hazard to firefighters.

"I am really concerned about the prospect of householders stockpiling petrol at home in anticipation of a possible tanker drivers' strike," he said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:21 
Unpossible!

The last fuel protest in '99* was over the cost going above 80p/l wasn't it?

*subs please check

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:

*subs please check

It was.

I also remember fuel being under a quid a litre when I moved into my current flat. That was only 3 years ago or so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

*subs please check

It was.

I also remember fuel being under a quid a litre when I moved into my current flat. That was only 3 years ago or so.

Nah. Are you sure?

[edit]Oh yeah, they went up and then down again: http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:31 

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

*subs please check

It was.

Nah. Are you sure?

It tipped over a quid nearly five years ago now, I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

2009 - 89.9p!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:40 
baron of techno

I have very dim memories of helping at my uncle's garage, as a young child. Petrol was in gallons, 2, 3 or 4 star, 4 star cost exactly £2. Only one customer bought petrol the day I was there. I can only assume that was hyper expensive for the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

kalmar wrote:
I have very dim memories of helping at my uncle's garage, as a young child. Petrol was in gallons, 2 or 4 star, 4 star cost exactly £2. Only one customer bought petrol the day I was there. I can only assume that was hyper expensive for the time.

1985 at a guess ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:46 
baron of techno

Trooper wrote:
kalmar wrote:
I have very dim memories of helping at my uncle's garage, as a young child. Petrol was in gallons, 2 or 4 star, 4 star cost exactly £2. Only one customer bought petrol the day I was there. I can only assume that was hyper expensive for the time.

1985 at a guess ;)

Possibly even before that. Was there a fuel crisis in 1979/80? I'd have been 4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 16:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

kalmar wrote:
Trooper wrote:
kalmar wrote:

1985 at a guess ;)

Possibly even before that. Was there a fuel crisis in 1979/80? I'd have been 4.

Not as far as I can see. A gallon would have been around £1.30ish then I think, so no wonder nobody bought any if he sold it for £2! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 17:49 
Hello Hello Hello

I was working at a 24 hour Esso garage in Manchester in, oohhhh, 1993 or so I'd say, and petrol was 49.9p per litre, there was a big debate going on amongst the staff (well, biggish) about if it would ever go above 50p per litre.

Super unleaded is £1.52p per litre over here now, I'm starting to develop a nervous twitch around garages.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 18:25 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:

*subs please check

Must have been 2000 as I was in Majorca with girlfriend of the time and it rained for a bit so we were sat in our apartment playing gin rummy most of the day, dressed in beach wear. I've a photo somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 18:32 
Honey Boo Boo

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

*subs please check

Must have been 2000 as I was in Majorca with girlfriend of the time and it rained for a bit so we were sat in our apartment playing gin rummy most of the day, dressed in beach wear. I've a photo somewhere.

It was at least 2000 as a friend from Canada was doing a year at Stirling University and came to visit to see London, and she got stuck in the barriers at Watford Junction so my parents would have been in their St Albania house by then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 18:35 
Bad Girl

Trooper wrote:
2009 - 89.9p!

What, really? Where'd you get this info?

Edit: oh there's a link above. I'm not reading etc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 19:18 
Ready for action

FFS, I looked at the news story yesterday about the tanker drivers, saw that they need to give 7 days notice and promptly stopped thinking about. Today, on Facebook, I begin to notice people commenting on long queues at petrol stations. Now I see that Guardian timeline thing :facepalm:
My tank has been reading empty the last three times I have gone out in the car but I can't be bothered waiting in queues of people creating a fuel shortage because they are panic buying. However, I need to leave here at 6am tomorrow to get to work and I can't do that without petrol. So either I go out tonight and try to fill up, facing possible queues, or I wait 'til the morning and fill up at 6am when there should be no queues but if people don't chill out there might also be no petrol.
Also, we are driving down to Cardiff on Monday morning. If there is no petrol then I'm going to go mental.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 19:21 

I went out to Tesco on Tuesday and they were out of bloody fuel. Fortunately there's another petrol station just up the road. Our petrol light had been on for a couple of days, so I was technically panic buying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 22:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Was a queue at my local Tesco about twenty minutes ago, but they seemed to have plenty of petrol. A pox on people that don't use "pay at pump" when they don't want anything from the shop. Yes, we're watching you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 
Gogmagog

So, the big "I don't know when the MOT is due but it needs to be done tomorrow" panic has resided when details of the date of the next MOT were found...on the key fob attached to MrsA's car keys. That she uses almost every day. And it is 13th April 2012. So, I'm still driving to Bradford this morning, then walking the three miles to work, and walking back at lunchtime to pick it up.

EDIT: the red (!) light flickers on and off intermittendly, but I suspect this is due to the car thinking it wants a service. When the handbrake is on, it is steady. I've dropped the car off now (bloke seemed really nice, garage looked OK) so I'll know at 9am.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 

MaliA wrote:
EDIT: the red (!) light flickers on and off intermittendly, but I suspect this is due to the car thinking it wants a service. When the handbrake is on, it is steady. I've dropped the car off now (bloke seemed really nice, garage looked OK) so I'll know at 9am.

Try checking the brake fluid to make sure there's enough in there. On some cars a lower than normal fluid level will bring on the (!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:25 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Try checking the brake fluid to make sure there's enough in there. On some cars a lower than normal fluid level will bring on the (!)

Excellent, thanks! Will my new best mate sort that in the garage?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:27 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Grim... wrote:
Was a queue at my local Tesco about twenty minutes ago, but they seemed to have plenty of petrol. A pox on people that don't use "pay at pump" when they don't want anything from the shop. Yes, we're watching you.

As as soon as they accept fuel cards I will.

Not sure why they can't

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 
8-Bit Champion

Passed lots of closed petrol stations this morning (my local Sainsburys / the Tesco and Shell garages on the way into Abingdon) , the Shell garages on the A34 had signs up about no Diesel but with the queues looked as if they still had petrol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, it was getting sketchy outside Fleetwood's Shell station this morning.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 

MaliA wrote:

Should do yeah, although if he's the untrustworthy type (hope not) and that is the problem, he might try telling you that the brake pads are low (which is also a possible cause, so if he does say that, don't just dismiss it as bollocks :P) or some other failure in the braking system.

My Celica used to do it frequently, topping up the brake fluid level used to sort it, but ultimately the cause came down to the guy who fitted my (now defunct) gauges being an idiot and leaving a loose wire behind the dash that was bouncing around causing a short.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Should do yeah, although if he's the untrustworthy type (hope not) and that is the problem, he might try telling you that the brake pads are low (which is also a possible cause, so if he does say that, don't just dismiss it as bollocks :P) or some other failure in the braking system.

My Celica used to do it frequently, topping up the brake fluid level used to sort it, but ultimately the cause came down to the guy who fitted my (now defunct) gauges being an idiot and leaving a loose wire behind the dash that was bouncing around causing a short.

He comes highly recommended and he seemed on the level. I'm expecting brake pads, to be fair, but if he can sort it then it is all good. Just nervously awaiting the phone call now. We'll see what happens, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 
Gogmagog

Gruaniad 'breaking news':

Quote:
Woman suffers 40% burns when petrol ignited as she was transferring it to containers in her kitchen, North Yorkshire fire and rescue service says. More details soon ...

Oh, dear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 
baron of techno

Man alive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

This is why we should all use diesel. Harder for muppets to set themselves and their houses on fire with.

Reply to topic  [ 30684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 614  Next