Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Party Politics and the NHS Debacle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 
Beloved member

Just gorn and filled out a form to rejoin Labour again. Had to, after events earlier today. Lesser-evilism, basically.

Hopefully the local people I knew are still doing there stuff. Felt quite at home with them, TBH, none of them were New Labour in the slightest.

(I look forward to when that posh nasal-voiced cretin isn't head of the national organisation.)

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 33
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 

Yeah, I'm incredibly depressed by recent events. The sheer opportunistic glee of these Bullingdon cunts as they set about destroying the NHS. Nobody voted for it, nobody asked for it and the only people who think it is a good idea are those who see a financial opportunity for themselves. It's an absolute fucking disgrace and I hope the Lib Dems are consigned to history for their part in all this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Yeah, I'm incredibly depressed by recent events. The sheer opportunistic glee of these Bullingdon cunts as they set about destroying the NHS. Nobody voted for it, nobody asked for it and the only people who think it is a good idea are those who see a financial opportunity for themselves. It's an absolute fucking disgrace and I hope the Lib Dems are consigned to history for their part in all this.

Cheer up, the Grauiad says:

Quote:
The move on the personal allowance will mean that the Lib Dems will go into the next election saying they have delivered the first pledge of their 2010 general election manifesto.

So they are properly moving forward and providing a great counterweight to stuff. NOt at all junior partners.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:16 
Sleepyhead

Well, obviously they're junior partners; they got a small fraction of the seats the Tores got.

I disagree with the Lib Dem leadership's stance on the NHS (as does the rest of the party, which voted against backing it at the conference), but other than that they've done a good job of delivering on their manifesto promises.

To say they should be eliminated because they (against the will of their members) reluctantly agreed to one (albeit awful) act is just ridiculous. They've enacted more decent policies in government than the Tories and the last Labour government combined, yet they're the bad guys, not the Conservatives.

:Belm:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 

The Tories are absolutely the ones to blame but pig-headed privatisation that flies in the face of the evidence is all I'd expect from them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
The Tories are absolutely the ones to blame but pig-headed privatisation that flies in the face of the evidence is all I'd expect from them.

I've had way more than I can cope with of clients and people in my football fandom community and elsewhere who literally cannot give credence to anyone else's view of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:27 

Curiosity wrote:
Well, obviously they're junior partners; they got a small fraction of the seats the Tores got.

I disagree with the Lib Dem leadership's stance on the NHS (as does the rest of the party, which voted against backing it at the conference), but other than that they've done a good job of delivering on their manifesto promises.

To say they should be eliminated because they (against the will of their members) reluctantly agreed to one (albeit awful) act is just ridiculous. They've enacted more decent policies in government than the Tories and the last Labour government combined, yet they're the bad guys, not the Conservatives.

:Belm:
Just to expand on my feelings. All their other policies are around things that can fairly easily be altered or faffed around with in the coming years by subsequent governments. This change to the NHS isn't. It very much feels like a turn down a one way street. If ever there was a place to draw a line in the sand this was it and they failed. Or rather their leadership did, most of the party clearly felt much the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 
Hello Hello Hello

I think that enough people around the UK had just plain forgotten how fucking evil to the core the Tories are, not enough to actually vote them into power with their own majority of course, but enough to give them the opportunity to lash the Lib Dems to the mast and have them deliver enough numbers in the House of Commons to set about destroying all the stuff they hate - and make no mistake, the NHS is top of that list, as are any institutions that basically looks after and/or in any empower what you might call an 'average' person.

Unfortunately Blair and Brown must take a lot of the blame, any politicians who can make the Tories look even vaguely electable (I honestly think Osborne must have had his horns surgically removed before he entered the political arena) have an awful lot to answer for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:

It could not have happened without the Lib Dems. They seem to be operating under the misapprehension that people supported them joining the coalition in order to enact their policies. They are wrong. They were supposed to be a brake on the Tories. The LD leadership pont to "300 amendments" to the NHS bill, which is the equivalent of ensuring that before the man chops your leg off without anaethestic, at least you'll now get a cup of tea and a biscuit first. On the major issues, public sector cuts, tuition fees, NHS privatisation, the forest privatisation, taxation of the rich, tax avoidance, they have either been invisible or willing partners.

But they are mainly copping it because of this:

Nick Clegg marching against NHS cuts by Liberal Democrats, on Flickr

And not forgetting this:

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

It could not have happened without the Lib Dems. They seem to be operating under the misapprehension that people supported them joining the coalition in order to enact their policies. They are wrong. They were supposed to be a brake on the Tories. The LD leadership pont to "300 amendments" to the NHS bill, which is the equivalent of ensuring that before the man chops your leg off without anaethestic, at least you'll now get a cup of tea and a biscuit first. On the major issues, public sector cuts, tuition fees, NHS privatisation, the forest privatisation, taxation of the rich, tax avoidance, they have either been invisible or willing partners.

But they are mainly copping it because of this:

First up, on tuition fees the implemented proposals are SIGNIFICANTLY fairer and less costly than what was proposed by either Labour (unlimited graduate tax) or the Tories (unlimited up front fees). Note that the abolition of them is STILL in the LD manifesto and that they have, in every possible way, acted as a brake on Tory excesses in that instance.

To say they should have avoided trying to implement their policies in government and instead just tried to stop the Tories really goes against the whole point of voting and forming governments. I voted LD because I wanted their policies implemented. They formed a coalition to implement their policies. Some things they disagreed with had to happen as a cost, but that's only to be expected (and indeed is morally correct) given the comparative representation in government.

And I disagree about the taxation points. The LDs have been very active in attempting to reduce tax for the poorest (increase in tax free allowance) and increase it for the richest (stamp duty increase, mansion tax, closure of loopholes).

The expectation that the LDs dictate policy on everything to the Tories is not only wildly optimistic, it's also wholly undemocratic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
First up, on tuition fees the implemented proposals are SIGNIFICANTLY fairer and less costly than what was proposed by either Labour (unlimited graduate tax) or the Tories (unlimited up front fees). Note that the abolition of them is STILL in the LD manifesto and that they have, in every possible way, acted as a brake on Tory excesses in that instance.

To say they should have avoided trying to implement their policies in government and instead just tried to stop the Tories really goes against the whole point of voting and forming governments. I voted LD because I wanted their policies implemented. They formed a coalition to implement their policies. Some things they disagreed with had to happen as a cost, but that's only to be expected (and indeed is morally correct) given the comparative representation in government.

And I disagree about the taxation points. The LDs have been very active in attempting to reduce tax for the poorest (increase in tax free allowance) and increase it for the richest (stamp duty increase, mansion tax, closure of loopholes).

The expectation that the LDs dictate policy on everything to the Tories is not only wildly optimistic, it's also wholly undemocratic.

The Lib Dems are getting the crumbs from the table, the Tories are flicking just enough in their direction to keep them in the right line in the lobby whilst they go about the real business of their dismantling and privatising agenda and enriching the already rich as much as they can and as quickly as they can.

I'm stunned the Lib Dems ever entered a coalition with the Tories in the first place, the only good thing that is going to come of it is they've showed their true colours as opportunistic charlatans and will be obliterated at the next election.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:25 
Sleepyhead

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

The Lib Dems are getting the crumbs from the table, the Tories are flicking just enough in their direction to keep them in the right line in the lobby whilst they go about the real business of their dismantling and privatising agenda and enriching the already rich as much as they can and as quickly as they can.

I'm stunned the Lib Dems ever entered a coalition with the Tories in the first place, the only good thing that is going to come of it is they've showed their true colours as opportunistic charlatans and will be obliterated at the next election.

So, to confirm what you just said, you think that a party that, despite only having a small representation in Parliament (due to the style of voting in the country), shouldn't try to influence things if they get a chance? And that instead of the tangible good they have done, instead they should be replaced with more people who are causing the harm they are trying to stop?

Are you Andrew Lansley or George Osborne?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
So, to confirm what you just said, you think that a party that, despite only having a small representation in Parliament (due to the style of voting in the country), shouldn't try to influence things if they get a chance? And that instead of the tangible good they have done, instead they should be replaced with more people who are causing the harm they are trying to stop?

I'm saying that the magnitude of the Tory carnage they are voting through the lobbies of Parliament far outweighs any possible advantage their various concessions and amendments could ever be worth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ing-moment

Quote:
With surgical precision, the Tories are disembowelling the welfare state – sheep-like, decent Lib Dems can only watch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 
Sleepyhead

The entire purpose of a political party is to enact its policies.

Had the LDs not formed a coalition, they would have turned down their only chance to govern, and would likely have died even quicker than they are doing so at present.

I, for one, would have left them. What's the point in supporting a party that doesn't want to enact its policies?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:34 
Sleepyhead

Curiosity wrote:

I'm saying that the magnitude of the Tory carnage they are voting through the lobbies of Parliament far outweighs any possible advantage their various concessions and amendments could ever be worth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ing-moment

Quote:
With surgical precision, the Tories are disembowelling the welfare state – sheep-like, decent Lib Dems can only watch.

I think that's very much up for debate. The NHS farrago is the first place where I think that the LDs have Belmed it up. Okay, maybe second after the AV vote.

Third if you count not bribing the newspapers like the other two parties, leading to almost entirely negative coverage even when you do good things.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

The Lib Dems command a level of power that is entirely consistent with the number of seats won at the general election. The major difference of the coalition is that they have *some* direct influence over actual government policy, rather than none at all.

The baffling anger from disenfranchised LD supporters is that Nick Clegg isn't willing to break the government over every possible point of policy. If you're a Lib Dem your party has more influence now than at any other time in its history, and yet all you hear is whining that they can't adhere to everything in their manifesto. Reality-check, please.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:

Yes, and how did that AV vote work out for them?

Quote:
Had the LDs not formed a coalition, they would have turned down their only chance to govern, and would likely have died even quicker than they are doing so at present.

No. They could have extracted an incredibly high price from both Conservative or Labour. They were and still are power brokers. Remeber that the Coalition agreement is an agreement not to force an early election - the Tories are as trapped by it as the Lib Dems are.

Instead they have meekly rolled over on any aspect of policy that actually fucking matters. Are we supposed to be grateful that they acted as a brake on Tory excesses by only allowing them to triple the fees?

For the one absolutely vital policy on AV that could have significantly increased the LD vote, the Tories fought tooth and nail against it. The Lib Dems response is to act like a battered housewife and meekly acquiesce. You can see the level of disappointment from the public in their polling figures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 

The problem with the LDs is that they have more power than they're actually using. If they as a party don't agree with something they should be digging their fucking heels in rather than trying to stick glitter on shite.

Aye, the government might "achieve" less... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Wullie wrote:
Aye, the government might "achieve" less... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I read an article yonks ago arguing that the general lack of success of many Government IT projects wasn't that bad a thing overall, as it prevented Ministers endlessly tweaking and changing and sticking in their pet projects. The only thing that stopped some Governments endlessly doing anything, just to be seen to be doing something, was their lack of ability to do it right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Blame the electorate who didn't have the balls to see through their convictions during 'Clegg-mania'.

Mind you, I can't imagine what it'd be like still having Gordon Brown at the helm. Urrrrgh.

Good job I live in Scotland where there's only one Tories, a few Labour, and a whole host of mental nationalists that want independence.... Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think that enough people around the UK had just plain forgotten how fucking evil to the core the Tories are,

Don't you just love party politics and informed opinion. ;)
And we wonder why this country staggers from shit storm to fuck up every 4 or so years...

Yes the NHS thing is terrible, but to brand a whole side of government as evil to the core? Utter bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:14 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Yes, and how did that AV vote work out for them?

Quote:

No. They could have extracted an incredibly high price from both Conservative or Labour. They were and still are power brokers. Remeber that the Coalition agreement is an agreement not to force an early election - the Tories are as trapped by it as the Lib Dems are.

Instead they have meekly rolled over on any aspect of policy that actually fucking matters. Are we supposed to be grateful that they acted as a brake on Tory excesses by only allowing them to triple the fees?

For the one absolutely vital policy on AV that could have significantly increased the LD vote, the Tories fought tooth and nail against it. The Lib Dems response is to act like a battered housewife and meekly acquiesce. You can see the level of disappointment from the public in their polling figures.

That would only make sense if the disillusioned voters were flocking to Labour. They're not. In the last six months, the ICM polls showed that Labour dropped, the LDs went up by 1% (admittedly at a level far below their last election time levels) and the Tories went UP by 4%!

Other polls show other percentages, but in the last six months not a great deal has changed, indicating that there is no final exodus of LD supporters further than the muppets who left over tuition fees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plissken wrote:
Are we supposed to be grateful that they acted as a brake on Tory excesses by only allowing them to triple the fees?

General Public wrote:
WTF are you on about - the Lib Dems tripled the fees. Clegg was all over the telly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:41 

*groan*

Yeah, woe betide anyone who thinks that, actually, de facto nationalised, centralised, government-run monoliths like the NHS represent a pretty shit, ridiculously and demonstrably outmoded, inefficient, wasteful and above all ineffective way of running things (just as per nationalised industries have been in general, at least in the UK). That just maybe, we could learn important lessons from Continental Europe, who by and large have vastly better healthcare systems than we do - with demonstrably much better treatment, survival rates and so on - complete with their participation of the Private Sector? (Yeah, I can just see the French and Germans putting up with the crap that we routinely accept in this country)

That actually, it's an unmitigated scandal that we, in the UK, have one of the worst cancer survival rates and other stats, 'postcode lotteries' and all the rest, despite the vast sums that have been pissed away on the NHS by Labour these last 13 or so years (just as our education standards/standing have similarly been decimated as compared to other peer nations, including those with vastly less wealth and resources- despite massively increased spending without efficacious reform and according to the same old moribund, useless political dogma/public sector union agenda)

I'm a Tory - of sorts anyway - and funnily enough, I don't think I'm "evil" ( :attitude: :roll: ), just because I happen to believe that top-down, centralised, over-complex management structures died off with the dinosaurs for any real world, well run organisation, where slick, empowered, horizontal management has been the answer for untold decades now.

I'm no expert on this Bill and it could well be a dog's dinner for all I know (in fact, it almost certainly is, what with all the endless fudging, political horse-trading and amendments that have been going on in order to get it on the statute book). For me however, any attempt to finally get a grip on stripping out some of the endless, inherent bureaucratic nonsense and waste within the NHS as a failing organisation, as compared to what we could actually have (and just maybe, I could save myself and family about £200/month on private medical insurance), is to be applauded. I really can't stand political fundamentalism and the "holy cow" status of the NHS within some quarters, like we can never acknowledge that something conceived in the 1940s under a Socialist government - before it was subsequently proven that Socialism doesn't actually work - might not actually be the best way to do things, and that we are so arrogant that we cannot learn from our continental neighbours. Etc.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:45 
Excellent Member

Captain Caveman wrote:
Yeah, woe betide anyone who thinks that, actually, de facto nationalised, centralised, government-run monoliths like the NHS represent a pretty shit, ridiculously and demonstrably outmoded, inefficient, wasteful and above all ineffective way of running things (just as per nationalised industries have been in general, at least in the UK). That just maybe, we could learn important lessons from Continental Europe, who by and large have vastly better healthcare systems than we do - with demonstrably much better treatment, survival rates and so on - complete with their participation of the Private Sector?

Except they don't.

Quote:
That actually, it's an unmitigated scandal that we, in the UK, have one of the worst cancer survival rates and other stats, 'postcode lotteries' and all the rest

Except we don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 

Oh really? Better tell that well known "evil" Tory, Simon Hughes of the LibDems that then.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:48 
Excellent Member

Curiosity wrote:
That would only make sense if the disillusioned voters were flocking to Labour. They're not. In the last six months, the ICM polls showed that Labour dropped, the LDs went up by 1% (admittedly at a level far below their last election time levels) and the Tories went UP by 4%!

Other polls show other percentages, but in the last six months not a great deal has changed, indicating that there is no final exodus of LD supporters further than the muppets who left over tuition fees.

Last two polls I've seen (Goldacre tweeted links yesterday) showed Labour would have a majority of about 14 at a hypothetical GE. Con would drop about 50 seats. Ah, don't you just love FPTP?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 

Surely the shining beacon of privatised, commercialised healthcare is the USA? Where they pay 3x-4x more for treatment than we do, have the same life expectancy we do, and poor people's access to healthcare is so poor that infant mortality rates in inner cities are worse than in some third world nations?

I have second hand knowledge of US healthcare, from my friends there and from my wife. It scares me deeply.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 

Captain Caveman wrote:
*groan*

Yeah, woe betide anyone who thinks that, actually, de facto nationalised, centralised, government-run monoliths like the NHS represent a pretty shit, ridiculously and demonstrably outmoded, inefficient, wasteful and above all ineffective way of running things (just as per nationalised industries have been in general, at least in the UK).
No, woe-betide anyone who persists in holding such a view based on little more than political ideology and blind prejudice.

Those European countries with "vastly better" healthcare also spend vastly more money. Who'd a fucking thought, eh? The evidence seems to indicate that the NHS delivers much better care than other systems when the amount we spend on healthcare is taken into account. It's this evidence amongst so many other concerns which have lead nearly everyone who will be responsible for overseeing the ensuing mess to oppose the plans. Do you think that most doctors are died in the wool left-wingers or something?

Of course there are always improvements to be made. But there is simply no evidence to support the notion that these plans are suddenly going to magic better outcomes from the same pot of money and quite a lot that they will end up making things worse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 
Excellent Member

Captain Caveman wrote:
Oh really? Better tell that well known "evil" Tory, Simon Hughes of the LibDems that then.

They would have been better off having that Iraqi spokesman saying it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:02 

markg wrote:
No, woe-betide anyone who persists in holding such a view based on little more than political ideology and blind prejudice.

Bullshit, plain and simple. I am the last one to be blinded by political ideology; if you'll recall, I "conceded" only a week or so back that actually, as based on the empirical example of the American economic recovery, Ed Balls might actually be right? (By contrast, I don't recall you or others conceding so much as one iota, like ever - see above).

I'm interested in stuff that works and am the first to concede my considerable failings on the 'all seeing political sage' front, ergo I have been wrong about *loads* of stuff. But, even someone as stupid as I is capable of learning and moving on...

Quote:
Those European countries with "vastly better" healthcare also spend vastly more money.

More money? Sure. Vastly more money? No/depends who we're talking about (and I am not getting into another "stat war" with you or anyone else on this), but regardless, the level of service is vastly and immeasurably better. I would say it's like comparing a Porsche to Kia or something, but this goes way beyond service, it's people's lives we're talking about.

Quote:
Do you think that most doctors are died in the wool left-wingers or something?

Starkey had it right on QT the other day - doctors are entirely self-interested, the end.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:04 

Curiosity wrote:
Had the LDs not formed a coalition

Yes, and they had plenty of offers from Labour to do just that. Clegg decided to play Labour off against the Tories to increase his own foothold rather than get a government formed and begin sorting out the economy. Brown told him to go and fuck himself. Clegg had plenty of opportunity to form a coalition based upon vaguely shared values. He chose not to.

When someone in Brown's position would rather see Cameron take his job than keep trying to do a deal with you having put various (reputedly very generous) ones on the table, you know you're an annoying cunt.

Post subject: Re: Party Politics and the NHS Debacle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Captain Caveman wrote:
Quote:
Do you think that most doctors are died in the wool left-wingers or something?

Starkey had it right on QT the other day - doctors are entirely self-interested, the end.

A number of years back, my private consultant moved me from his private practice to his NHS practice on the basis that it would improve the level of care I was receiving. Anecdotal, sure - but it means the 'entirely' is certainly untrue. He cost himself money, and moved me to the NHS because it would provide a better level of treatment than I was getting privately.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:11 
Legendary Boogeyman

Hands up all those who have actually read the bill itself. Anyone?

Now hands up who are basing their opinions on 2nd/3rd hand subjective 'analysis' they've read from a variety of pundits/unionists coming at it with wildly differerent political bents. Foregone conclusion the second set of people are the majority.

This is not the 'destruction' of the NHS, or the privatisation of the same. Anyone touting such sensationalist and wholly non-descriptive terms is as much of an idiot as the people they purport to decry. I have not decided my own position on the bill, but I know better than to start wading into the argument over my head on one side or the other.

I see a lot of people screaming that the pubilc was not consulted. There is no cause for asking 'the public' about a piece of proposed legislation, ignoring the fact that 99% won't have read it, and 95% are too politically inept to care. And since when did the public know anything about anything? Expecting the man on the street to ignorantly weigh in on the complexities of a huge organisation (5th largest employer in the world, y'know) is amibitious at best, and just mind-bogglingly stupid at worst. "PUBLIC NOT CONSULTED, THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY" is a great thing for an antagonist to sling around but it's not making them look as big and clever as they'd like to think.

It's all incredibly democratic. The elected, ruling party of the government, in cooperation with their coalition, have been explicitly entrusted by their voters to represent them on changes to legislation. PMQs for the last 6 weeks has been a comparison of Royal Medical bodies who support the bill, vs. another list of those against. It's certainly split opinion (again, amongst those that base their opinions on footnotes), but to say the 'medical profession' don't support it is a lie. Some do, some don't. It's value is arguable and I see nothing to justify the blatant, widespread fearmongery about how it's the DOOM of the NHS we've complained about relentlessly up to now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

GovernmentYard wrote:
Brown told him to go and fuck himself.

I don't think you'll get much support for that. Labour were desperate to cling to power and I recall they were extremely whiny and upset about how 'quickly' (although I think the period was around 5 torturous days) the LD's opted for a coalition with the party who had gained the largest number of MPs in the election. Labour were even firing around possibilities of rainbow coalitions to try to make up the numbers. It was embarassing and desperate, and doomed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:17 

Captain Caveman wrote:
and I am not getting into another "stat war" with you or anyone else on this

That's more or less been Lansley's approach too. All the evidence against has been brushed aside and all his evidence has been flaky at best. Anyone providing anything which might give pause for thought dismissed. It's absolute fucking bullshit. If it weren't about people's lives I wouldn't give much of a toss about it either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:19 

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Hands up all those who have actually read the bill itself. Anyone?

Now hands up who are basing their opinions on 2nd/3rd hand subjective 'analysis' they've read from a variety of pundits/unionists coming at it with wildly differerent political bents. Foregone conclusion the second set of people are the majority.

This is not the 'destruction' of the NHS, or the privatisation of the same. Anyone touting such sensationalist and wholly non-descriptive terms is as much of an idiot as the people they purport to decry. I have not decided my own position on the bill, but I know better than to start wading into the argument over my head on one side or the other.

I see a lot of people screaming that the pubilc was not consulted. There is no cause for asking 'the public' about a piece of proposed legislation, ignoring the fact that 99% won't have read it, and 95% are too politically inept to care. And since when did the public know anything about anything? Expecting the man on the street to ignorantly weigh in on the complexities of a huge organisation (5th largest employer in the world, y'know) is amibitious at best, and just mind-bogglingly stupid at worst. "PUBLIC NOT CONSULTED, THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY" is a great thing for an antagonist to sling around but it's not making them look as big and clever as they'd like to think.

It's all incredibly democratic. The elected, ruling party of the government, in cooperation with their coalition, have been explicitly entrusted by their voters to represent them on changes to legislation. PMQs for the last 6 weeks has been a comparison of Royal Medical bodies who support the bill, vs. another list of those against. It's certainly split opinion (again, amongst those that base their opinions on footnotes), but to say the 'medical profession' don't support it is a lie. Some do, some don't. It's value is arguable and I see nothing to justify the blatant, widespread fearmongery about how it's the DOOM of the NHS we've complained about relentlessly up to now.

I don't expect a vote on it. I expect that when something like this is mooted that decisions are made based upon the best available evidence. There don't seem to be many people who agree that this has been the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The very fact that the Government has been ordered by a court to publish the risk register associated with the planned changes and has refused to do so should be enough of a red flag on its own.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:24 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Seems to me that this Bill is going to increase the chance of 'postcode lotteries'. The more decisions, medical and administrative, you delegate downwards, the wider the range of outcomes is going to be. Postcode lotteries are a result of removing top down management.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:26 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
The very fact that the Government has been ordered by a court to publish the risk register associated with the planned changes and has refused to do so should be enough of a red flag on its own.

On this, Tony Baldry said we should read these:

Lord Armstrong of Ilminster wrote:
My Lords, I support the noble Lord, Lord Fowler, and my noble friend Lord Wilson of Dinton in advising the House not to support the Motion. I do not want to go into any more detail on the risk registers. They need to be comprehensive and candid; if there is a risk of publishing them, the compilers will be less likely to make them as comprehensive and candid as they need to be in order to be of value. When the Information Commissioner suggests that, even if this is published, people will be equally comprehensive and candid in future, I am afraid that I think he is guilty of wishful thinking.

There is a process with this risk register. I understand that we have not yet seen the reasons for the decision reached by the Tribunal. When that is known, the Government have the right to appeal. I hope that they exercise it because the considerations against publication, as they have been stated more than once today, are very cogent. That process is likely to take a great deal longer than the three weeks that the Motion of the noble Lord, Lord Owen, gives the Bill. The only sensible course now is to disentangle the business of the risk register and the business of passing the Bill, to let the Bill go forward and not to support the Motion.

Lord Wilson of Dinton wrote:
I add my support to what the noble Lord, Lord Fowler, and others who have spoken against the Motion said. I am deeply concerned about the implications of the Motion for the Civil Service.

Every day in government, Ministers consider policy issues and depend on the Civil Service for advice. Anyone who has been a Minister understands the private space in which civil servants give their best advice. There is a major public interest in advice being given without fear of it becoming part of the political arena, in the press or in Parliament. If risk registers are published, the very act of publishing them will draw them into the public arena and politicise the advice. This is not about lying, or about being dishonest in any way, but the duty of civil servants is to the Ministers they serve and to the Government of the day. They have a job to do and they must do it to the best of their ability, but they must do it in a way that does not cause difficulty for the Government.

It is in all our interests that risk registers are honest and look at the worst case, and put it in terms that leave the Minister in no doubt about the risks that are being taken. If those documents are going to appear in the public arena, they are bound to be sanitised in some form. Advice will either be put in a way that does not fully expose the dangers, or worse still it will not be given. There is a real risk that important advice will be driven off the paper into oral remarks, which are not what the Minister needs. The Minister needs a document that he or she can read after the meeting, and ponder and mull in the stillness of their own room. If we push these documents into the political debate, we will lose a crucial part of the role of the Civil Service. If we do it a lot, over time there is a real risk that Ministers will want around them civil servants who are themselves political, because they have become part of the political debate.

This is a very dangerous pressure to put on the constitution. I understand the worries about the Bill, but this is not the right way to attack it. It would be a dreadful mistake if this House were, in the heat of the moment, to set a precedent that affected the Civil Service in its ability to serve the Government of the day.

Across all parties there is an understanding about the need to observe the conventions under which the Civil Service operates. I appeal to the House not to add its weight to this issue of the risk register in a way that might do damage, because the damage would be not only to this Bill and this department. Whitehall is watching; it is really concerned about this issue, and if this goes the wrong way it will have implications and reverberations across government in ways that I am sure this House would not want. I urge the House not to support the Motion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The single provision that scares me most is the allocation of up to 49% of beds in hospitals to those being treated by an external private medical authority. Got a pre-existing chronic condition? Well, then you either pay massively inflated amounts of cash to get medical coverage, or you make do with only 51% of the space that was previously available for treatment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:28 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
The single provision that scares me most is the allocation of up to 49% of beds in hospitals to those being treated by an external private medical authority. Got a pre-existing chronic condition? Well, then you either pay massively inflated amounts of cash to get medical coverage, or you make do with only 51% of the space that was previously available for treatment.

EH?

bbc SAYS
Quote:
The cap on how much hospitals can earn from private patients rises from as little as 1.5% to 49%.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:29 
Sleepyhead

GovernmentYard wrote:
Brown told him to go and fuck himself.

I don't think you'll get much support for that. Labour were desperate to cling to power and I recall they were extremely whiny and upset about how 'quickly' (although I think the period was around 5 torturous days) the LD's opted for a coalition with the party who had gained the largest number of MPs in the election. Labour were even firing around possibilities of rainbow coalitions to try to make up the numbers. It was embarassing and desperate, and doomed.

Yup.

A Labour/LD/more coalition was pretty much not going to happen, or be workable. To keep Brown as PM given the election result would be ridiculously undemocratic.

But for some people, anything that doesn't end up with Labour in power is somehow unfair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

On this, Tony Baldry said we should read these:

Jesus fuck. "If people were going to get to see them, we'd just lie everywhere to make sure they didn't contain anything that didn't suit our agenda".

Lest we forget:
David Cameron in 2010 wrote:
Greater transparency across government is at the heart of our shared commitment to enable the public to hold politicians and public bodies to account

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:

EH?

bbc SAYS
Quote:
The cap on how much hospitals can earn from private patients rises from as little as 1.5% to 49%.

Hmm - I thought it was deliberately tied to availability of beds, not cashflow. But the same thing applies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

Craster wrote:

No, because there are plenty of different ways to view such a move. If I was compiling a risk analysis for anything I was working on, that would include 'sudden server explosion' and 'complete data loss', which sound like terribly scary things to happen. I accept them as risks, albeit incredibly small and unlikely ones, but they'd still be in such a document for completeness.

Now, if I was trying to get my system published in an incredibly political back-stabbing sensationalist bullshit world, I might reasonably try to withhold my documentation from my opponents because I know absolutely full well that my small, but acknowledged risks will be blown up out of all proportion and used in an attempt to score political points that are completely out of touch with the actual, real risk of something happening.

But naturally, in this game that perfectly sound logic is lost against a backdrop of 'GOVERNMENT DEFY COURTS. BILL REMAINS EVIL BASED ON SPECULATION OF PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ IT'. etc etc etc.

I find this whole debate so very, very tiresome, because I see shades of the above going on all the time, and people are so easily manipulated in making them believe what you want them to. Nobody does independent research, nobody fact-checks, and the media are more concerned about reporting on a screeching old woman who tries to block the path of a health minister on his way to a meeting because someone has reliably informed her that the bill is bad and the minister is a bad man. It's all so.... just.... man. You're all so easily manipulated and you don't even know it.

Withholding an opinion while watching all this bollocks getting knocked back and forth seems like the most sensible thing to do. The bill might actually be the best thing since sliced bread, but in this climate there'd be no way to know it. I say again, ANYONE HERE READ IT?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Craster wrote:
Hmm - I thought it was deliberately tied to availability of beds, not cashflow. But the same thing applies.

"Hmmm, I have mistated a fact because I haven't done any proper checking. Despite that, y'know, it's all still bad".

I'm only going to be interested in the opinion of someone who isn't mutating or misremebering something they heard somewhere else. This is largely a debate of the gibberingly misinformed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Now, if I was trying to get my system published in an incredibly political back-stabbing sensationalist bullshit world, I might reasonably try to withhold my documentation from my opponents because I know absolutely full well that my small, but acknowledge risks will be blown up out of all proportion and used in an attempt to score political points that are completely out of touch with the actual, real risk of something happening.

But naturally, in this game that perfectly sound logic is lost against a backdrop of 'GOVERNMENT DEFY COURTS. BILL REMAINS EVIL BASED ON SPECULATION OF PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ IT'. etc etc etc.

Perhaps there's truth in that. But the Freedom of Information Act exists for a reason. If you just ignore it, and ignore a court order instructing you to obey it, then there's a serious breakdown in the political and legal process.

I've read what I can understand of the bill. It is, like most legislation, designed to be about as fucking inpenetrable as possible.

Note that last night there was a commons debate on over 350 proposed amendments to the bill. over 350. In an allocated time of four hours. I'm pretty sure you couldn't even list them in that time. And, in shades of the DEA bill, nobody bothered turning up to the debates anyway.

Politics is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:42 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Craster wrote:

"Hmmm, I have mistated a fact because I haven't done any proper checking. Despite that, y'know, it's all still bad".

I'm only going to be interested in the opinion of someone who isn't mutating or misremebering something they heard somewhere else. This is largely a debate of the gibberingly misinformed.

Apologies. I shall immediately ban all non political scientists from the forum.

Discussion works on the basis of talking about what you understand to be the case. I'm happy to be corrected, and as I stated, the correction doesn't in any way change the basis of my objection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 13:45 

In fairness to my own position Gnomes, I expressly concede that my knowledge of this Bill is very limited (and no, I haven't read it). In the main, I am objecting to the oft-used "evil" tag applied to anyone who even dares to hold pretty moderate Conservative political values around here, and/or happens to believe - as based in part on appallingly bad first hand experience and with family members working in the NHS for 20+ years, as well as pretty obvious parallels to our continental neighbours and the most cursory review of things like cancer survival rates - that the NHS as an organisation, in its current state, is hardly the optimum solution for decent, fair standards of healthcare, for all, within the UK.

Dr Lave wrote:

Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next