Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Mass Effect 3. Now with free DLC!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:40 

I couldn't find a thread for this, so i thought I'd make one.

I'll (hopefully) be getting this on launch day (9/3/12), And I'm really looking forward to it.
I've heard rumors of a demo being out, But no idea where to get it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Anyone else looking forward to it?

Edit: Demo will be released on all platforms on the 14th.

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect 3.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I need to finish the second one first, but I'll get it eventually.

I got a bit fed up with the talky-talking.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:46 

Grim... wrote:

The talking in the games was one of my favorite parts, I always made sure to go through every option to hear everything i could about the story. I more play games like this for the story instead of the action. I played Mass Effect 2 before i played 1, And i like the talking in ME1, But in ME2, I felt the combat was better and funner, but started to get quite repetitive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:47 

Yeah I'm not even off the first disk with ME2. I just got incredibly bored with it. I don't find the universe particularly interesting. And it's all blue and cold all the time. I'll probably go back at some point and then pick 3 up on the cheap. I did enjoy the first game, despite not really warming to the universe, but the second was a step too far with regards to how much I could tolerate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:58 
Excellent Painter

I loved them both but won't be getting this for a while as I'm backlogged to fuck with unfinished games as it is.

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect 3. (9/3/12!!!!)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 0:35 
Can you dig it?

I'm currently blazing through ME2 and I think I'm fairly close to the end. I'm doing as many of the side missions as possible. I'm really enjoying it actually, although it's very easy.

I might take a break before ME3 though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 0:49 
Skillmeister

Sir Taxalot wrote:
although it's very easy.

Difficulty slider! My first go through was on hardcore. One of the toughest games I've ever played through. Good job the story was worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 

This is the ONLY game I'm looking forward to this side of the year. (Blops2=More Zombie's!!!!)
I'm more excited for this game than i was for MW3 or Skyrim <What am i thinking?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 

Grim... wrote:

No, finish the first one first, then the second one, then get this one. Else it spazzes the save games.

/serious the price on this game never stays high for long, bear this in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:46 
Can you dig it?

Dimrill wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
although it's very easy.

Difficulty slider! My first go through was on hardcore. One of the toughest games I've ever played through. Good job the story was worth it.

I got really stuck on the fight with Matriarch Benezia on ME1 and had to turn it down to easy, but I forgot to put it up again and breezed through the rest, but it was OK because I was enjoying the story and the feeling of being a badass toughguy.

I left ME2 on normal and it feels like ME1 on easy. Thing is, I'm pretty shit at games, and rarely ever even consider going through on harder difficulties. Off the top of my head, Ouendan on the DS is the only game I've gone back for hard and super-hard levels. I just couldn't do the last two levels on the super-hard mode which is a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:40 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I just don't get the ME love, the first one was good, the second was okay, but made no sense at all. But the worst thing for me was there was no drama, "You are the saviour of mankind! Only you can fly a ship to Blahdyblah. We trust in this so much, no one else is even going to attempt. Oh by the way you have 10 minutes to do this. What? Why of course you can fly to Scibbydidoo and try and sleep with some alien bint. What she wants you to find her sister? Her sister could be anywhere! Oh you know where she is? On Beebopdoowap? But that's miles away! Okay, we can make a detour just this once, but after that we have to go save everyone, you know!" ...
"Oh, come on! You want to fly to Scatman's World to find the genetic descendant of a fly creature that has no feelings just to see if it remembers you? We are going to die! Oh we can haz ice cream? Sure, let's go."

Edit, that said I'll get it when it is cheap, it isn't bad, just not great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:47 
Skillmeister

Bobbyaro wrote:
"You are the saviour of mankind!"

Nope. You were the first human Spectre, the galaxy's secret police.

Quote:
Only you can fly a ship to Blahdyblah.

Nope. You were given the Normandy, the most advanced ship in the human fleet, in order to be a Spectre.

Quote:
We trust in this so much, no one else is even going to attempt.

Nope. Nobody trusted you. That was the point. You were made to look the fallguy by Saren who was looking to frame the whole human race as a distraction to him bringing back the Reavers.

Sounds like you didn't play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:52 
Loved ME2, didnt play ME1. Might get this at some point now I've finished skyrim and still don't have live.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:57 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:
I just don't get the ME love, the first one was good, the second was okay, but made no sense at all. But the worst thing for me was there was no drama, "You are the saviour of mankind! Only you can fly a ship to Blahdyblah. We trust in this so much, no one else is even going to attempt. Oh by the way you have 10 minutes to do this. What? Why of course you can fly to Scibbydidoo and try and sleep with some alien bint. What she wants you to find her sister? Her sister could be anywhere! Oh you know where she is? On Beebopdoowap? But that's miles away! Okay, we can make a detour just this once, but after that we have to go save everyone, you know!" ...
"Oh, come on! You want to fly to Scatman's World to find the genetic descendant of a fly creature that has no feelings just to see if it remembers you? We are going to die! Oh we can haz ice cream? Sure, let's go."

This is a bizarre complaint. Every even vaguely RPG-style game works like this because they have to have an over-arching threat that drives the main quest while also allowing the freedom for players to do whatever side quests they want whenever they want. Of course, in reality, the entire universe would have exploded while you bugger about doing fetch quests for NPC45848948 because it'll get you a shinier gun but this isn't reality: it's a computer game. What would you prefer, a big clock sitting in the corner of the screen inexorably counting down to zero after which the game just ends if you haven't finished the main quest? Seriously man, this is the oddest thing for anyone to say about a computer game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 13:58 
Skillmeister

Also very much what Bamba said.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:04 

I think what Bobbyaro is trying to say is that the universe is really dull, uninspiring and cold. And the characters are boring cunts nobody cares about. And when he plays the game, it makes him feel like he's sat in a big meat chiller, rather than next to a roaring log fire like a good RPG should make you feel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

So, it's Beex the game?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:08 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
What would you prefer, a big clock sitting in the corner of the screen inexorably counting down to zero after which the game just ends if you haven't finished the main quest?

It worked for Dead Riding.

And countless 80's arcade games, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:08 
Skillmeister

I just don't get the Modern Warfare love, the first one was good, the second was okay, but made no sense at all. But the worst thing for me was there was no drama, "You are the saviour of mankind! Only you can drive a tank to Blahblahdistan. We trust in this so much, no one else is even going to attempt. Oh by the way you have 10 minutes to do this. What? Why of course you can run to Scibbydidoo and try and kill some foreign bint. What she wants you to find her bomb? Her bomb could be anywhere! Oh you know where it is? In Beebopdoowap? But that's miles away! Okay, we can make a detour just this once, but after that we have to go save everyone, you know!" ...
"Oh, come on! You want to drive to Scatman's City to find the genetic detonator of a flying machine that has no feelings just to see if it remembers you? We are going to die! Oh we can haz ice cream? Sure, let's go."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:09 
At least modern warfare was over withing 5 or 6 hours, rather than 500 or 600.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:11 
Skillmeister

I got through the first Mass Effect 3 times in 3 days. Maximum time without side-quests was 6 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:11 
Skillmeister

nickachu wrote:
At least modern warfare was over withing 5 or 6 hours, rather than 500 or 600.

Hang on.. that's a plus point?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:13 
Scanning planets for about 10 hours was not my idea of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:13 
Skillmeister

Then don't do it! You can get through the entire game without scanning a single one!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:14 

Yeah the first game was proper short if you didn't stray off the beaten track. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the games really, I just didn't click with the story, setting and characters. Just doesn't excite me at all. And that's not to say the story is badly written or even unoriginal, it just doesn't click for me. Leaves me feeling very "meh".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:15 
Dimrill wrote:
Then don't do it! You can get through the entire game without scanning a single one!

But I want big guns and armour and ships and stuff handed to me on a plate.
WHY CAN'T I HAVE THAT!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:19 

In ME2 I didn't even mind the planet scanning malarky, nor do I mind talking endlessly to everyone. The point I gave up was when we landed on yet another uninspiring barren wasteland of a planet and had to shoot our way into somewhere with the least exciting half-baked third person combat system ever ever. Be an RPG or don't. ME2 straddles the line. MEH. MEH I SAY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:20 
Bad Girl

WTB wrote:
And that's not to say the story is badly written or even unoriginal, it just doesn't click for me. Leaves me feeling very "meh".

Sounds unoriginal, typical sci-fi guff from what I've read up there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:20 
Skillmeister

Don't buy Mass Effect 3 then. Nobody's forcing you to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:23 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:
In ME2 I didn't even mind the planet scanning malarky, nor do I mind talking endlessly to everyone. The point I gave up was when we landed on yet another uninspiring barren wasteland of a planet and had to shoot our way into somewhere with the least exciting half-baked third person combat system ever ever. Be an RPG or don't. ME2 straddles the line. MEH. MEH I SAY.

See, I quite liked the fact that it did the combination of RPG and straight shooter. I like some aspects of RPG games but it's not a genre I've got much history with so some of the conventions are off-putting to me; thus ME2's genre-bending was a real selling point for me. Although I appreciate how that might annoy people expecting a purer RPG experience obviously. I don't disagree that the combat could have been tighter, which is something I'm hoping they'll address in ME3, but generally speaking I thought it was a good direction to go in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:25 

Bamba wrote:
WTB wrote:

See, I quite liked the fact that it did the combination of RPG and straight shooter. I like some aspects of RPG games but it's not a genre I've got much history with so some of the conventions are off-putting to me; thus ME2's genre-bending was a real selling point for me. Although I appreciate how that might annoy people expecting a purer RPG experience obviously. I don't disagree that the combat could have been tighter, which is something I'm hoping they'll address in ME3, but generally speaking I thought it was a good direction to go in.

I don't mind the idea of using a proper third-person combat system in RPGs. I'm not a purist! I just didn't think it was executed particularly well. They should've stuck with the KOTOR system or done it properly. The combat just got on my nerves in the end. The game was high-budget in every single aspect other than the combat gameplay which felt like some PS2 shovelware adventure game.

I much preferred the combat in the first Mass Effect, even though it wasn't perfect, and thought 2 was a huge step back that eventually bored me to tears.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:29 
Skillmeister

WTB wrote:
...or done it properly.

Yeah I hate it when anyone tries something new and don't execute it perfectly immediately. I mean, they have testers, right?! Why didn't they point out that it wasn't properly? They'd only need to add more properly to make it proper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:30 

Dark Souls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:32 
Skillmeister

Nah, having corridor based one direction constant boss fights killing you with one hit and multiplayer dicks invading your world and no story would make Mass Effect less properly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:33 

To be fair, I did try to quantify "properly", you just chose not to quote that bit.

i.e. That it felt like a PS2 shovelware game and that I preferred the systems in KOTOR and even the first Mass Effect over the rubbish ME2 combat system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:35 
Skillmeister

How would they do it properly? Do tell. Bioware would love to know as it'd save all this trying business they have to do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:37 
Excellent Member

WTB wrote:
I much preferred the combat in the first Mass Effect, even though it wasn't perfect, and thought 2 was a huge step back that eventually bored me to tears.

I never played the first one; what was different about it? I had a look at a couple of YouTube videos but couldn't see any obvious big differences. Not that that's a very good way of assessing it I realise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:37 

Tighten the controls up, make it more like Gears of War I guess. Either that or return to a more RPG-ish system a la KOTOR. Instead it's somewhere in-between and I just don't think it works. Side-by-side, it doesn't control as well as Gears of War. If they're going for real-time third person combat, surely that's what they should be aiming for?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:39 
Skillmeister

WTB wrote:
Tighten the controls up

How? In what way?

Quote:
Either that or return to a more RPG-ish system a la KOTOR.

The public whinged about that, hence cover based shooting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:40 
Bad Girl

Dimrill wrote:
Nah, having corridor based one direction constant boss fights killing you with one hit and multiplayer dicks invading your world and no story

Sounds like you didn't play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:42 

Bamba wrote:
WTB wrote:

I never played the first one; what was different about it? I had a look at a couple of YouTube videos but couldn't see any obvious big differences. Not that that's a very good way of assessing it I realise.

They're not hugely different from a pure gameplay perspective. Major differences include automatically regenerating health in ME2 and a huge toning down of the number of weapon upgrade options. Also, I think ME2 uses ammo whereas ME1 did overheating weapons (is that right?). I did prefer the first ME from a combat perspective, but I think that opinion is probably contaminated by the fact that I thought ME was a better game overall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:44 

Dimrill wrote:
WTB wrote:
Tighten the controls up

How? In what way?

Quote:
Either that or return to a more RPG-ish system a la KOTOR.

The public whinged about that, hence cover based shooting

Well first of all, I dunno, I'm not a games programmer or designer. As someone who spends a lot of time playing games, I know that you almost certainly understand what I mean when I say "tighten the controls up".

As for the public whinging about it - fair enough - I'm just explaining why I didn't like Mass Effect 2. :shrug:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:46 
Skillmeister

See, I preferred the second's combat. They couldn't just "do a Gears of War" because it's not the same game. You're managing your squad, giving them orders as to where to take cover, what powers/guns to use and when. Yes, you'd never need to know this if you played on <=Normal, but it became utterly crucial on the higher difficulties. Ammo again was a strategic plus point. No longer could you just power through each encounter, it took rationing and more tactics to get through them. The final boss battle was absolutely nerve wracking because of these things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:49 
Skillmeister

WTB wrote:
Well first of all, I dunno, I'm not a games programmer or designer.

Then how the hell should they know what "do it properly" means?

Quote:
As someone who spends a lot of time playing games, I know that you almost certainly understand what I mean when I say "tighten the controls up".

I really, really don't.

Quote:
As for the public whinging about it - fair enough - I'm just explaining why I didn't like Mass Effect 2. :shrug:

Hey, I'm not Mehhhhhh Bulllsheeeet Sensor. Whinge about it all you want. I'm trying to point out that "do it properly" isn't easy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 14:55 

Gears of War has very tight, responsive, satisfying third person combat gameplay. Mass Effect 2 doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:04 
Skillmeister

:shrug: I loved it. One of the best games of this generation for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:09 

Well like I say, I'll return to it at some point and finish it off. It just really bored me. Maybe I played it too soon after the first game and burned out on it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:16 
Skillmeister

Well if the story's not gripping you, it's not gripping you. It was that which made me soldier on through the hardest battles. I loved the characters, too. They were much more colourful than the first's. The doctor in particular made me smile, and the Krogan had much more to him than Wrex ever did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:31 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I am amazed at all the games I have missed out on because I have only had a xbox for 14 months..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 17:24 
Rude Belittler

I thought KOTORs combat system was pretty tedious. I much prefer ME2s system.

Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next