Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Post subject: Online photo backup solution
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:27 

I'm constantly nagging my mum to backup the photos she has on her laptop onto the pen drive I gave her as I know she'll be devastated if the HD dies and she loses them all. Of course, she never does. So over Crimbo I want to set up some kind of auto-sync thing on her laptop so all of her photos get synced with an online account so they're stored in the cloud and are safe in case of puter death.

Sooooooo, geeks, what do you recommend I use to achieve this? I'm hoping for something REALLY simple (it's for my Mum, remember). Preferably with an auto sync function so that when she drags pictures into a folder or opens them in an application (Picasa?) they get auto-synced with an account online. Like I mentioned, Picasa might do it. She won't need to view or do anything with the pictures online so maybe some kind of dropbox thing might work? Obviously FTP is way too complex.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Online photo backup solution
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 

Dropbox.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 

Yeah I'd just use Picasa, so long as she already has a Google account. Extra storage is pretty cheap if you need it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:30 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dropbox.

How does it work? Is it dead easy and Mum proof? Is it free?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 

markg wrote:
Yeah I'd just use Picasa, so long as she already has a Google account. Extra storage is pretty cheap if you need it.

She doesn't have a Google account, otherwise I'd have probs just gone for that. I get the impression Google are in the process of killing Picasa though since the web version is pretty much hidden now in favour of Google+.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dropbox and Synctoy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I haven't used Picasa much recently but since Google+ came about, it does seem to be centered around that.

I vote Dropbox too. It's as simple as dragging and dropping folders about the place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:01 

TheVision wrote:
I vote Dropbox too. It's as simple as dragging and dropping folders about the place.

With dropbox, do you nominate a folder on your laptop and then tell it to automatically keep this synced with a folder on dropbox? Does it then take care of everything for you? Is it that simple? If it is, this would be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I’m sure someone else who knows more about this will be able to answer this question better but you could just have your pictures folder, within the Dropbox folder.

It’ll automatically update when anything is altered in there so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

I can send an invite too if you like, not only do I get more space but I believe if you sign up from a recommendation, you get more space than the usual too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:16 

TheVision wrote:
I’m sure someone else who knows more about this will be able to answer this question better but you could just have your pictures folder, within the Dropbox folder.

It’ll automatically update when anything is altered in there so I guess the answer to your question is yes.

I can send an invite too if you like, not only do I get more space but I believe if you sign up from a recommendation, you get more space than the usual too.

Oooh, cheers mate, I'll PM you my mum's email address if you could invite her that would be great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

No problem. I'll do it when I get home from work if that's alright?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:19 

TheVision wrote:
No problem. I'll do it when I get home from work if that's alright?

brilliant, ta. I'll be setting this up when I'm back at my parents for Xmas at the weekend, so no rush :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:37 

pupil wrote:
With dropbox, do you nominate a folder on your laptop and then tell it to automatically keep this synced with a folder on dropbox? Does it then take care of everything for you? Is it that simple? If it is, this would be perfect.
No. Yes. Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 13:41 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
pupil wrote:
No. Yes. Yes.

Will this Synctoy Crater mentioned turn that first "no" into a "yes"?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:42 

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:50 

TheVision sent me an invite so I been playing on my work PC. By installing the dropbox software it let me nominate a folder and then it keeps the contents of this folder synced online and on other devices, so that's all I need, no need for Synctoy, I'm guessing?

Sorted, cheers chaps!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 14:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Hurrah! Another win for the forum... I hope you find it useful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 15:19 

TheVision wrote:
Hurrah! Another win for the forum... I hope you find it useful.

Titanium Backup for Android has a "sync backups to dropbox" function built in, so I've set that going. An extra safety net in case I brick my phone is never a bad idea! :) Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 15:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was going to mention the dropbox app for Android. I use that now instead of finding a lead to plug my phone into my PC. Very easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 19:13 
Excellent Member

From memory, I think Dropbox includes a photo folder by default which is public...so unless your mum wants to share her photos with the world then I suggest you tell her to create a new folder which will be private.

Privacy settings of your own folders can be changed to your liking. You can share a folder with friends/family or create links which you can give people to access your photos. So pretty useful really and avoids having to upload (again) to websites such as facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 19:58 

TheVision wrote:
I was going to mention the dropbox app for Android. I use that now instead of finding a lead to plug my phone into my PC. Very easy.

Slightly OT, but ES File Explorer does Dropbox better than the Dropbox app.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:55 

JesusJoans wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Slightly OT, but ES File Explorer does Dropbox better than the Dropbox app.

Ace, ta, just downloaded, will have a play :) I always thought the included file explorer app with CyanogenMOD was a bit naff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

pupil wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
pupil wrote:
No. Yes. Yes.

Will this Synctoy Crater mentioned turn that first "no" into a "yes"?

Or you could set up a symlink.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 

Grim... wrote:
pupil wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
pupil wrote:
No. Yes. Yes.

Will this Synctoy Craster mentioned turn that first "no" into a "yes"?

But dropbox does do the first thing I asked? Doesn't it? I don't see what the problem is. Everything I chuck into the dropbox folder is synced with a mirrored version online. That's perfect, I don't need to do anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You're correct. If you use the dropbox folders, everything that you put in there syncs online. It sounds like these other programs sync other folders on your PC.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The reason I use synctoy is because I want photos I've finished with, music, and documents put into my dropbox. So that's three different locations on my PC (well, server) that synctoy then copies into the dropbox folder nightly. The other reason is that when I'm dicking around with photos I often have multiple scratch copies, and am regularly saving - There's no point dropbox eating up my bandwidth by syncing everything while it's a work in progress.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

pupil wrote:
Grim... wrote:
pupil wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
pupil wrote:
No. Yes. Yes.

Will this Synctoy Craster mentioned turn that first "no" into a "yes"?

But dropbox does do the first thing I asked? Doesn't it?

I guess it does, yes. If you ever wanted to use it for something else (backing up her MyDocs folder, or something) you'd have to fiddle about, but if you only need the photos root folder, then bingo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09 

Cool, using it in this super simple way for my Mum's photo backups will be fine. Essentially, I want to set it up for her then she won't have to do anything, it just backups up everything just in case something goes wrong in the future.

Here's a question for me though. I've created an "Android" folder on dropbox to backup up my phone stuff, but I don't need this folder to be mirrored inside my desktop dropbox folder, I just want it as an online backup for my phone. Can I set this folder to only remain online and not be synced to my desktop PC's dropbox folders?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 14:39 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

pupil wrote:
Cool, using it in this super simple way for my Mum's photo backups will be fine. Essentially, I want to set it up for her then she won't have to do anything, it just backups up everything just in case something goes wrong in the future.

Here's a question for me though. I've created an "Android" folder on dropbox to backup up my phone stuff, but I don't need this folder to be mirrored inside my desktop dropbox folder, I just want it as an online backup for my phone. Can I set this folder to only remain online and not be synced to my desktop PC's dropbox folders?

Yes. Go into the Dropbox settings on your computer and turn on Selective Sync.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 14:39 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

pupil wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 14:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And choose the appropriate folder. Obv.

Are you sure you want to do this, though? It allows you to take files from your PC and just drag and drop them onto your phone, no matter if it's plugged in (or even in the same country).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 14:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've just had a vanishing post. Odd.

Anyway, what I said was along the lines of: Are you sure you want to do that? Sure, DB will still back your stuff up, but you'll essentially be turning off all the simple file transfer stuff it provides.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 15:32 

Grim... wrote:

Anyway, what I said was along the lines of: Are you sure you want to do that? Sure, DB will still back your stuff up, but you'll essentially be turning off all the simple file transfer stuff it provides.

I have to turn it off for my work PC as IT have very kindly given us 1GB of docs storage on our personal network drive. That was generous of them, as after our dept moaned they upgraded us from a lavish 256MB!?!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 15:32 

Jinglebelm wrote:

Cool, will have a looksy for that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 16:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

pupil wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I have to turn it off for my work PC as IT have very kindly given us 1GB of docs storage on our personal network drive. That was generous of them, as after our dept moaned they upgraded us from a lavish 256MB!?!!

256MB was, of course, 256MB more than they were required to give you...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 16:57 

Grim... wrote:
pupil wrote:
Grim... wrote:

256MB was, of course, 256MB more than they were required to give you...

Not when our office PC image is set up in a way where our My Documents folder is automatically mapped to our network drive and major privilege lockdown means we can't save anything locally.

Anyway.... dropbox, ace, thanks for the tips folks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 18:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

pupil wrote:
Not when our office PC image is set up in a way where our My Documents folder is automatically mapped to our network drive and major privilege lockdown means we can't save anything locally.

I'm not really convinced that makes any difference...

pupil wrote:
Anyway.... dropbox, ace, thanks for the tips folks!

It is, isn't it? Properly fits the mantra of "do one thing well".

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]