Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dark Souls
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 0:57 
Hibernating Druid

Nice to see the dragons arses on the way in. :D

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 13:14 
Paws for thought

Success. Put on heavier armour and found it a bit easier. Although I was a bit surprised to find killing one restored the other to full health.

Knowing that made the next time a bit easier. But still took a couple more attempts to succeed.

And I now have his helmet. I look silly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:11 
UltraMod

Dead Rising.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:49 
Paws for thought

myps pies wrote:
Dead Rising.

is not as good as dark souls. (And I'm one of the people who bummed Dead Risng the most)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 15:12 

Zardoz wrote:
Just done a spot of drainage down in ghost town.

FUCK!

:metul:

You're close to what I thought was the most difficult boss fight in the game (up to that point).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 21:38 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Just done a spot of drainage down in ghost town.

FUCK!

:metul:

Yeah, I just did that. It was awesomes.

I then got stuck in a corner while two people battered me to death. Not helped by having accidentally pressed down so rather than healing myself, I started trying to write stuff on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:08 
Paws for thought

I also killed the ceaseless discharge thing. The area he unlocks... :'(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:15 

Yeah stay away from there Dave!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 23:16 
Bad Girl

Lightning > Fire (demons and shit)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 
Hibernating Druid

The crystal cave is a cunt.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:
Yeah stay away from there Dave!

I did enjoy beating the crap out of all the Taurus demons, given the grief the earlier one caused. The Capra demons, on the other hand are evilly placed. And they respawn.

Some dick invaded me there, mind, and got summarily chucked off a cliff. Wondering f I can do the same to all the goaty bastards.

Saturnalian wrote:
Lightning > Fire (demons and shit)

I've mainly been sticking with non elemental weapons and using resin should an element be required. My +15 halberd tears through things fairly well. (And if I'd gone for lightnng / fire, the scaling on stats appears to stop)

I decided to go and explore some areas I'd neglected earlier. I found Sif, who is the coolest boss ever. He was a bit of a walkover with the aforementioned +15 halberd though.

The great hollow wasn't so friendly. I did get through it in the end, but I'm not really sure if it was worth it. There didn't seem to be any particularly awesome thing at the end for the troubles getting there.

Now trying to decide between the 3 remaining routes I can thnk of. (Either Dark, Capra Demony, or Ghosty. None jump out as the obviously more suitable route)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 

Did you not come out of the bottom of the Great Hollow at the lake, Dave?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:58 
Paws for thought

WTB wrote:

Yeah, beat up a hydra and found a dragon with a warpy bonfire next to it. But aside from the option to join a wanky covenant, nothing more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 
Comfortably Dumb

I'm still making slow progress in my game. I quite like the halberd too, but you have to be pretty precise with it it seems. Just got to the bit with the bandits and the dogs and if you mis-time against them, they'll quickly do a lot of damage. Not sure about the armour I've found in the game so far - I'm a wanderer (I roam around, around, around) and the stuff I've found so far doesn't seem to be that much better than the wanderer kit I've started with - they offer higher defence, but slow me to a crawl. Got to that sorcerer bloke yesterday but I'm wondering if I need to learn magic or not to progress.

Still loving the game though; it's all very intense. Even if you try and casually retrace your steps to places you've been through umpteen times before, if you're not on your guard, you can get a fair old kicking by even the basic enemies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
WTB wrote:

Yeah, beat up a hydra and found a dragon with a warpy bonfire next to it. But aside from the option to join a wanky covenant, nothing more.

Did you cut the tail off the dragon? I've yet to do that but I'm headed back that way. I collected that thing from the dragon that turns your head into a dragon and lets you breathe fire but I've yet to try it out.

I think my lightning halberd got rid of the Capra demons in three hits. What sort of damage you wrecking with a +15?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:57 
Paws for thought

Angelman wrote:
I'm still making slow progress in my game. I quite like the halberd too, but you have to be pretty precise with it it seems. Just got to the bit with the bandits and the dogs and if you mis-time against them, they'll quickly do a lot of damage. Not sure about the armour I've found in the game so far - I'm a wanderer (I roam around, around, around) and the stuff I've found so far doesn't seem to be that much better than the wanderer kit I've started with - they offer higher defence, but slow me to a crawl. Got to that sorcerer bloke yesterday but I'm wondering if I need to learn magic or not to progress.

Still loving the game though; it's all very intense. Even if you try and casually retrace your steps to places you've been through umpteen times before, if you're not on your guard, you can get a fair old kicking by even the basic enemies.

I found a very handy set of black leather armour around that area. Should suit you if it's any better than the wanderer kit. The starting armours actually tend to be not appalling.

I've not bothered with magic for the most part (Although by now, I think I know most of the spells, I just can't use them because of low intelligence). But depends on your play style.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 13:57 
Comfortably Dumb

I just loaded it up again and it looks like I already have that leather armour - it's a little lighter than the wanderer stuff, but its stats are worse. I've compromised for now and switched to some heavier stuff that has better stats but doesn't seem to slow me down too much.

I might have to give this game a break for a day or two though - I'm getting my arse kicked all over the place at the moment. I'm not really good enough to beat the skeletons to properly explore the graveyard, I can't hit the watery things, so I'm guessing my best bet for progression is the area with the sorcerer up on the ledge - I've not explorer all round there yet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 15:54 
Paws for thought

Angelman wrote:
I just loaded it up again and it looks like I already have that leather armour - it's a little lighter than the wanderer stuff, but its stats are worse. I've compromised for now and switched to some heavier stuff that has better stats but doesn't seem to slow me down too much.

I might have to give this game a break for a day or two though - I'm getting my arse kicked all over the place at the moment. I'm not really good enough to beat the skeletons to properly explore the graveyard, I can't hit the watery things, so I'm guessing my best bet for progression is the area with the sorcerer up on the ledge - I've not explorer all round there yet.

Skeletons are really not the way forward. (As if you get past them you meet even more vicious skeletons)
Watery things? If you mean the ghosts, really, really avoid that area.
The area forward is down with the dogs and bandits. And a big goat demon. Or at about that time you can take a detour through some woods near the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 15:57 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Dave wrote:
The area forward is down with the dogs and bandits. And a big goat demon. Or at about that time you can take a detour through some woods near the blacksmith in Undead Parish.

That goat demon kicks my arse as soon as I pass through that white thing. I wasn't sure if that was somewhere to come back to later as he wipes me out so quickly. I think I must have missed that detour though as I've not seen any woods round there, so I'll work on that bit I think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 16:15 

There's a knack to him. He's a bugger. You're likely high level enough to beat him, but it's more about getting a good start then the battle is won. Try to run to the left and up the steps. Get rid of his dogs as a priority and avoid his attacks because they're deadly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:50 
Paws for thought

Angelman wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

That goat demon kicks my arse as soon as I pass through that white thing. I wasn't sure if that was somewhere to come back to later as he wipes me out so quickly. I think I must have missed that detour though as I've not seen any woods round there, so I'll work on that bit I think.

I know some people here found him difficult. I beat him by rolling past to begin with and hiding up on a ledge at the back. From here you can kill the dogs then repeatedly get him to drop down so that you can ether drop on his head (if you're above him) or hit him while he recovers from the fall (if you're below)

It's the initial part that is troublesome and visually confusings.

If it makes you feel any better, you come across hordes of them as normal enemies later. They're pansies and go down in two hits. (So, yeah, I'm rocking my way through the demons ruins. It's actually pretty easy despite my fears)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 18:07 
I forgot about this - how vain

Yeah, that boss was the one unfair part of the game in my eyes. Everything else so far has been perfectly pitched. But he's a bugger. Learnt a lot during my attempts to take him down though...

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 20:27 
Paws for thought

Bed of Chaos = worst boss of the game (so far)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 23:56 
Rude Belittler

Okay finally some progress. second bell rung. Sen's fortress: my bell rung.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 
Hibernating Druid

Sens gaff is a bastard. Really good to get that cleared though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 
Paws for thought

Once you open the shortcut things get so much easier. Look for signs once you've reached the top. An the boss is on of the easiest of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 
Hibernating Druid

Angelman wrote:
I'm getting my arse kicked all over the place at the moment. I'm not really good enough to beat the skeletons to properly explore the graveyard, I can't hit the watery things

Don't go down that way at all yet.
Angelman wrote:
so I'm guessing my best bet for progression is the area with the sorcerer up on the ledge - I've not explorer all round there yet.

Yeah, leads to some other simpler* areas too from there.

*simpler than having ghosts and skeletons repeatedly bum your face off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 
Paws for thought

Although it is possible if you have no souls to lose to run round the graveyard and pick up the few items, such as binoculars, a big sword, a Spear and a shield

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, it's worth doing a mad dash through for the goodies, doesn't matter if you die in the process as you get to keep them. The spear from there was my weapon of choice for quite some time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 18:45 
Paws for thought

Well, filled up the lordvessel. Now tying up a few loose ends, as I'm getting the mpression that the fog gate I've found may be the final boss.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Very modest progress today. I hadn't realised how close I was to that bonfire in the foresty bit. I'm still useless at the bosses though - although I've just watched a video of someone beating the Capra Demon just to see roughly how it's done and I'd completely forgotten all about the ability to lock on to an enemy.. I've not used that at all yet. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:23 
Hibernating Druid

Lock on is a must. Just as important to know whn to unlock too though, I've fallen off walkways loads of times when trying to back off.

There's plenty of stuff to do before you need to kill that Capra demon, wait until you're levelled and kitted up a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:31 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:
Lock on is a must. Just as important to know whn to unlock too though, I've fallen off walkways loads of times when trying to back off.

There's plenty of stuff to do before you need to kill that Capra demon, wait until you're levelled and kitted up a bit.

I think I might have done that already - I can get to the boss on the roof (kills me), the boss after the blacksmith (kills me) and to the marshy bit with the giant knights (kill me), so I think I'll play around with the lock-on and see if it improves my combat a bit.. I'm just rubbish at this kind of game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 23:05 
Paws for thought

Angelman wrote:
I'd completely forgotten all about the ability to lock on to an enemy.. I've not used that at all yet. :facepalm:

8)

That must've been dan near impossible to play...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:37 
Rude Belittler

Right I'm guessing that the boss on the roof is the gargoyle(s), that's your primary target. My advice is to get there in human form, and summoning help.

If you need souls, you can do laps of the Undead Burg. Have you got the Drake Sword?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:44 
Hibernating Druid

Killed Pinwheel last night and ventured into the Tomb of Giants.

Man, it's awkward in there, juggling with walkways, lantern and big skellingtons.

Nice to have a new area to explore though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 
Hibernating Druid

Fancied a new weapon too last night so bought the Washing Pole (katana) from a man in shit town.

It's HUGE with a slightly different move set than the shorter Katanas. Very pleased with it so far. I levelled it up and made it electrical too. :metul:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Killed Pinwheel last night and ventured into the Tomb of Giants.

Man, it's awkward in there, juggling with walkways, lantern and big skellingtons.

Nice to have a new area to explore though.

Yeah By leaving it till last, I ended up not having to use the lantern in my shield hand,, but instead a helnmet mounted light. Doing that place without a shield... Brrr.
(Theres also a spell that might be useful obtained in darkroot basin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:44 
Paws for thought

Pundabaya wrote:
Right I'm guessing that the boss on the roof is the gargoyle(s), that's your primary target. My advice is to get there in human form, and summoning help.

If you need souls, you can do laps of the Undead Burg. Have you got the Drake Sword?

Or indeed, join someone elses game in coop to earn souls and learn tactics.

I engaged in Jollly Cooperation yesterday for the frst time, helping someone through the painted world (Including a hairy moment in the basement where he got ambushed by wheels), and toasting the woman at the end. That run helped me kill her when I decided it was time, and then helped someone defeat the four king*. (He actually summoned 3 helpers, but two managed to kill themselves on the way down to the abyss). I got a lot of souls from this.

And yes, the drake sword is very handy in the early game. When you use it, you'll find upping Str/Dex will not raise attack power, so I'd start using souls to level up weapons to take over at some point in the future, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:51 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:
Yeah By leaving it till last, I ended up not having to use the lantern in my shield hand,, but instead a helnmet mounted light. Doing that place without a shield... Brrr.
(Theres also a spell that might be useful obtained in darkroot basin)

I have that spell, might give it a go tonight. I like the skull lantern though, it goes well with my outfit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 19:16 
Paws for thought

I got summoned in to help someone, and within 3 seconds managed to berk myself off a cliff to my death. Go me. Can't stop laughing.

(I'm so embarassed)

Is there any kind of approval system in it? As I may take a hit after that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 20:47 
Paws for thought

Done completed. Time taken: 77 Hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 21:05 
Bad Girl

Mr Dave wrote:
I got summoned in to help someone, and within 3 seconds managed to berk myself off a cliff to my death. Go me. Can't stop laughing.

(I'm so embarassed)

Is there any kind of approval system in it? As I may take a hit after that.

There's only an option to indite an invading player but you have to buy it rom the guy under the bell tower, otherwise just being generally crap is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 21:14 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:

That seems quick judging by how much I still think I have to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 21:30 
Paws for thought

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Yeah, I think I ended up with an overpowered weapon which made the section after getting the lordvessel rather easy. Of the bosses after that, only two killed me.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
One kills you to put you in prison, which I think can't be avoided The other is over a huge chasm and has attacks that twat you around alot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:34 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Yeah, I think I ended up with an overpowered weapon which made the section after getting the lordvessel rather easy. Of the bosses after that, only two killed me.

One kills you to put you in prison, which I think can't be avoided The other is over a huge chasm and has attacks that twit you around alot.

Tell of this overpowered weapon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

Managed to level up plenty in the Tomb of Giants (I can hurl Soul Spears now and my Homing Soul Masses now produce 5 'balls' instead of 4). The Gravelord seemed a bit hard too deal with for now (I thought we were friends?). He wouldn't be too bad but the smaller skeletons interrupt my casting when they attack.

So I think I'll revisit Seeth the Scaleless next. He caught me by surprise in the Crystal Cave last time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 
Paws for thought

LaceSensor wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

One kills you to put you in prison, which I think can't be avoided The other is over a huge chasm and has attacks that twit you around alot.

Tell of this overpowered weapon

It requires a certain amount of luck to get, I believe. Black Knight Halberd +5. I thnk the only suitable Black Knight is in darkwood basin. And doesn;t respawn.

By the end of the game I basically had black knight armour, shield, and weapon. All +5. I was Level 80.

This has proven sufficient to ring both bells in NG+ with ease and no fear of losing souls. It was quite satisfying to kill that sodding taurus demon in two and a bit hits given the grief I had with him earlier.

Zardoz wrote:
Managed to level up plenty in the Tomb of Giants (I can hurl Soul Spears now and my Homing Soul Masses now produce 5 'balls' instead of 4). The Gravelord seemed a bit hard too deal with for now (I thought we were friends?). He wouldn't be too bad but the smaller skeletons interrupt my casting when they attack.

Some handy guy had left a sign outside the boss door suggesting using divine. Paying attention to these signs (Aside from the ones that suggest jumping, unless there's an obvious place to jump to/you have nothing to lose) is rather handy indeed.

Quote:
So I think I'll revisit Seeth the Scaleless next. He caught me by surprise in the Crystal Cave last time.

Again, paying attention to signs (along with obviously cursed statues) Enabled me to be appropriately kitted out. I'm not sure how much the strategy that worked for me would work for a magic user.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 
Hibernating Druid

I always read the 'tips' left near bosses, Dave. I think some of the boss encounters have caused me trouble due to my heavy reliance on spell casting. I do have some tasty weapons though but my defence and strength (to wear heavy gear) are quite low.

I'm certainly not stuck yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:48 
Paws for thought

My current stats:
Level 87*
Warrior of Sunlight +1 Hair:Shaved
Vit: 26 HP:1164
Att 12 Stam: 151 Poise : 50
End: 27 Equip: 54.8/120.6
Str: 39 R Weapon: 504(Halberd)383(Crossbow)
Dex: 24 P.Def:323 (310,351,317)
Res: 12 Mag.Def: 237
Int: 15 Flam.Def :296
Fai: 15 Ligh. Def: 204
Hum : 9 Resist: 119,105,112
* - (I spent all the souls since starting NG. 5 on Strength, 2 on Vit. I'm hoping my problems getting coop partners was due to being too low level rather than too high. Given that the people I am paired with are so much weaker than me, I'm going for too low)

As you can see, spell casting is not a priority. I'm thinking I may play Demons souls as a spellcaster, though.

Reply to topic  [ 2918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 59  Next