Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Piano
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 13:32 
Legendary Boogeyman

What none of you will know about me is that I've been learning the piano for the last 18 months. I still suck terribly, but whenever I churn out something capably good enough to be heard by others I plonk a video of it up online. I did two this week:

It won't be hard to spot the mistakes. It's damn near impossible not to fuck up when the camera is rolling.

Anyway, I'm sure at least a few of you are closet-pianists (fnarr), so it'd be funky to know your thoughts on the above, and your piano playing in general. I've just installed Synthesia and apparently if I get hold of a midi cable I should be able to transcribe my stuff directly into the program, or something.

Post subject: Re: Piano
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:06 
Noob as of 6/8/10

You're no Les Dawson, that's for sure. :DD

I've been known to play guitar, not piano, but I'm still impressed. Very much liked the first piece.

You clearly play confidently, so the mistakes are just little problems that will occur less as you practice more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:19 

Really wish I'd been introduced to the piano at an earlier age than I did, then forced to practice it daily. I've always been envious of those who can sit down and bash something out.
Hmm.. perhaps I should see about getting one installed at Kern Hall? I think the electric one I used is still at my parents' house - wonder if it still works.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Kern wrote:
Really wish I'd been introduced to the piano at an earlier age than I did, then forced to practice it daily.

Me too. Picking it up as an adult is a frustrating pain in the arse. For the first 4-6 weeks I couldnt play anything or move my hands out of a static 5-note position. Progress is slow, and often it seems like none is being made at all, but you do start to get there in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's unfortunately not like riding a bike. I played loads as a kid, and have exams and qualifications coming out of my ears. Trying to get back into it now though is like starting all over again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:41 
baron of techno

Oh, the Macguyver one is ace, especially the end bit, nailed it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:42 
UltraMod

I can play the keyboard with moderate success, but piano I've never really got into. I can appreciate good playing, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:43 
Goth

Okay now play this

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:44 
Legendary Boogeyman

kalmar wrote:
Oh, the Macguyver one is ace, especially the end bit, nailed it!

Cheers :DD Can't tell you how many times I've played the whole thing perfectly only to totally fudge the sequence of the last few notes :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 15:53 
Awesome
Yes

Well done. How long do you spend practising a week?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Unless I'm out immediately after work I practice pretty much daily, even if its only for 10 minutes. On a quiet weekend it'll be an hour or two a day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Like others, I wish I could play the piano. That's excellent EBG and good to see you're commited to it.

I play my drums most days and even if its for only a few minutes, its good to keep your hand in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 22:58 
Isn't that lovely?

My three boys are learning the piano, the eldest took his grade 2 last year, and is taking his grade 4 in a couple of weeks.

The other 2 are going to do their grade one in the spring of next year.

Middle Son also plays the guitar.

I wish they would want to play/practice more than they do, because they are all quite good, but could be really good with a bit more passion for it.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 23:03 
Isn't that lovely?

Just listened back to your videos, you're better than you give yourself credit for.

I might ask the boys if I can film their practices, and upload them here...

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 23:50 

Malc wrote:
Just listened back to your videos, you're better than you give yourself credit for.

:this:

Finally had a chance to play them - very impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 0:07 
Sleepyhead

I adore the piano. It's my favourite instrument and one I have always intended to learn... and never gotten around to it.

:(

Will play your vids later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 0:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

Malc wrote:
and upload them here...

They might find that quite motivating. Comments on music recital vids tend to be much kinder than your average youtube trollfest.

Thanks for kind words though, I'll keep it up and possibly spam this thread the next time I record something :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Dude, you're surprisingly good. Self taught or have you been getting your legs felt up by a middle aged guy?

I started learning to play the guitar 15 years ago, then stopped 13 years ago. I also got a few grades in violin and cello. And it isn't, as Cras says, like riding a bike. When the boys are bit older I'm going to get them both to come and have piano and guitar lessons with me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 
UltraMod

Malc wrote:
My three boys are learning the piano, the eldest took his grade 2 last year, and is taking his grade 4 in a couple of weeks.

I wish they would want to play/practice more than they do, because they are all quite good, but could be really good with a bit more passion for it.

Malc

It's a difficult line to tread between encouragement and forcing them. I know someone who's son is very good at guitar and drums, but whenever anyone comes round he shouts 'get on your drums and show them what you can do!' He's often playing with his DS and doesn't even want to most of the time. It's the easiest way to make them lose interest fast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Self taught or have you been getting your legs felt up by a middle aged guy?

Had about a dozen lessons over the first 6 months with a reasonably hot girl about my age. In retrospect she really wasn't a particularly good teacher and charged £30/hour for what was essentially watching me play while chipping in the odd comment. Once you've got the basics and have a fairy good feel for tempo, I don't think there's anything stopping you learning it on your own from there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 
Isn't that lovely?

myp it wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

It's a difficult line to tread between encouragement and forcing them. I know someone who's son is very good at guitar and drums, but whenever anyone comes round he shouts 'get on your drums and show them what you can do!' He's often playing with his DS and doesn't even want to most of the time. It's the easiest way to make them lose interest fast.

Oh yeah, I fully understand that, but if we were not actively encouraging them, then they would only play during their lessons. But if we say to them: Do you want to stop lessons? The answer is always: No, and we'll practice more, but within a week, they are back to minimal effort again.

It's frustrating for us, as the lessons are not cheap (especially when you're paying for 3!) and we could easily spend the money elsewhere, but it would be a shame for them to stop, as they do seem to enjoy the lessons, and they all show promise and talent.

Also, I think both of us would have loved this sort of thing as a kid, but neither of our parents could afford it, which makes it harder to see our kids apparently squandering the opportunity.

Ah well, such is life.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 
Awesome
Yes

Malc wrote:
myp it wrote:
Malc wrote:

Malc

Oh yeah, I fully understand that, but if we were not actively encouraging them, then they would only play during their lessons. But if we say to them: Do you want to stop lessons? The answer is always: No, and we'll practice more, but within a week, they are back to minimal effort again.

It's frustrating for us, as the lessons are not cheap (especially when you're paying for 3!) and we could easily spend the money elsewhere, but it would be a shame for them to stop, as they do seem to enjoy the lessons, and they all show promise and talent.

Also, I think both of us would have loved this sort of thing as a kid, but neither of our parents could afford it, which makes it harder to see our kids apparently squandering the opportunity.

Ah well, such is life.

Malc

That is a shame Malc. I'd have loved guitar lessons as a kid. I was given keyboard lessons, and although I enjoyed learning, I wasn't that good, so I became despondent, especially with the teacher, who didn't so much teach as kind of sit me in front of a keyboard and tell me to press the keys as per the sheet in front of me.

Since picking up guitar of my own volition I've been teaching myself, and even though I know I'll never set the world on fire, I'm quite happy strumming away and learning a song one bar at a time and then playing it endlessly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 17:37 
Legendary Boogeyman

My latest thing, complete with talking monkey.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 19:27 

Bravo, sir, bravo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 
Excellent Member

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]