Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Post subject: Open University
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 21:35 
Best
Board Mother

What's the general consensus on doing courses with them these days? I remember way back when it used to be considered that you didn't have a proper degree (although they were) if you did one with them. I've been looking at their Msc courses and they seem to be the most affordable to me, but how are they regarded by employers? Does anyone have any experience they could share?

Post subject: Re: Open University
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 21:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

The Open University is awesome. I can't speak for the public perception by employers, but I don't think they're too badly rated thesedays. It's a far cry from having to stay up til 2am to get content on BBC2.

The quality of the material though is excellent, and in my opinion far surpassed the quality of teaching I received at a 'proper' university. The textbooks are bespoke, there is supporting audio content and cd software, and coursework is well explained and straightforward.

Honestly I highly recommend them, if you can afford it. I've applied to do a couple of courses and had to drop out due to lack of time, but that shouldn't take anything away from the excellence of the thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 21:49 
Best
Board Mother

Thanks CG, any experience is greatly received. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 22:51 

That sounds great, CG. Though I used to enjoy watching old Open University programmes from the 70's presented by men in tight brown trousers and wide ties, explaining the universe, or whatever it was that day. 2am insomnia watching, fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 22:56 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

I took a Degree with the OU. It was much goodness. They had good support, and their software runs in Windows/Mac/Linux and everything. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 23:30 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
What's the general consensus on doing courses with them these days? I remember way back when it used to be considered that you didn't have a proper degree (although they were) if you did one with them. I've been looking at their Msc courses and they seem to be the most affordable to me, but how are they regarded by employers? Does anyone have any experience they could share?

Better than Brunel, worse than most "real" universities.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 23:53 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I'd imagine it depends on the course, and on the individual employer. Helpful as that isn't, I have a chum who studied counselling with them and loved it. I don't know what came of it, though. I also had a friend who studied history with them and adored it, and kept encouraging me to do the same. Only money prohibited me - it was that or leave london, and I can pick up a course later if I get a chance.

It certainly won't be useless. If you enjoy it and learn a lot, you'll get more than you have now and a positive experiece.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:41 
Rakish Member

Alot of guys did OU degrees when I was in the RAF and they all spoke highly of them.

They were almost all doing engineering degrees (a few computing/mathematics) though, so I can't speak for their other faculties.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 

sinister agent wrote:
It certainly won't be useless. If you enjoy it and learn a lot, you'll get more than you have now and a positive experiece.

:this: Getting off your arse and doing something is rarely useless in the eye of an employer :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:12 
Excellent Member

Alison finished her degree through the Open University, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. You two will have to have a long chat at the next car boot sale...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:35 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

A colleague of mine got a PhD through them. It certainly wasn't viewed as second rate by any one at my current work place (A large number of which have PhDs), and it helped him get a job at much better place of work, so they obviously viewed it positively.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 13:13 
Best
Board Mother

Cheers guys, I've just signed up to do my MSc!! Bit of confusion about when I need to pay though, if it is in six weeks time it ain't gonna happen!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 13:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

Depends whether you opted to use the OUBSA account, which is very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 13:27 
Best
Board Mother

Yeah, I think I'll have to. With it not starting till Nov, I just wasn 't expecting them to want payment in Aug. I'm sure I'll get it sorted though, thanks for your input guys. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 13:36 
I forgot about this - how vain

Bit late to add this, but the OU is thought of highly in Astrophysics. It's one of the best places to do post-doc research (apart from the fact it based in Milton Keynes).

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My mother did an OU degree in Maths + Comp Sci. I did one in the same from Nottingham Uni, which is regarded as fairly good as far as maths goes. The teaching / material seemed just as good for hers as mine, and I'd imagine it would be the same for other subjects as well. I very much doubt you'll be marked down by employers for doing it via the OU, and it probably has a better reputation then many universities.

What subject are you doing, GJ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:29 
Excellent Member

An OU degree shows a person has made a commitment to improve themselves and has the staying power to follow it through. Studying in your spare time isn't easy, and requires far more dedication than leaving school at 18 and going straight to uni.

If I was an employer, I'd respect an OU degree.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

Ian Osborne wrote:
An OU degree shows a person has made a commitment to improve themselves and has the staying power to follow it through. Studying in your spare time isn't easy, and requires far more dedication than leaving school at 18 and going straight to uni.

This is why I've only completed one course with them so far. My staying power for academic* work is very poor.

* and all other kinds of

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 14:54 
Best
Board Mother

Squirt wrote:
What subject are you doing, GJ?

MSc in Forensic Psychology and Criminology. I'm already quite looking forward to it. :)

I'm still more than happy for you to contribute your stories to the thread, they're making me feel more positive about it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:03 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

That sounds awesome. In my head you're going to be attaching electrodes to the skulls of criminals and making them run round mazes and giving them electric shocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 15:06 
Best
Board Mother

That sounds like fun too! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 21:32 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Squirt wrote:
That sounds awesome. In my head you're going to be attaching electrodes to the skulls of criminals and making them run round mazes and giving them electric shocks.

And studying criminology as well!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 21:23 
Excellent Member

Ian Osborne wrote:

sort of. It can show dedication from the person, surely, but one post-labor course just isn't as intensive and has as much hours as a "real" course. Our Engineering Guild (i think that's the name in english), doesn't recognize these courses so people graduated in them can't sign projects. Obviously i'm just mentioning my own country reality.

Anyway, i'm all for people having higher education and working to improve their skills, so good luck with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:41 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I've just applied for a history course with the OU. Assuming I get on it (and can afford it - likely, given the financial aid bit and my laughable income), I'll start in February. STUDY BUDDIES OMG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 18:15 
Best
Board Mother

Yay, good luck Sinister, I hope you'll be joining us. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 
Ready for action

GJ, I'm guessing this is the course you're just finishing? What was your experience? I've been offered a new job and the only downside so far is that although they are happy to take over the sponsorship of my degree, I don't think they'll be able to release me from work to go to uni, or at least they won't be able to every week. I'm considering transferring my credits to the OU but I don't want to do that if it means ending up with a poorer degree and this is probably the only thing that's making me hesitate about accepting the job...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 
Excellent Member

For what it's worth, Mrs B's second degree was done through the OU and she's always praised it highly for being very well put together and an excellent experience. How employers view an OU degree I genuinely don't know mind you, if that's a concern. If you've got any specific questions about how it works or whatever I'm happy to pass them on and get answers from her.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think the OU stigma is gone in the main (apart from in the city where all the usual class bullshit still reigns), and the degree carries equal weight at the least.
I certainly don't think any less of an OU degree if I see it on an applicants CV, it's actually more likely for me to want to talk to them because of that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 
Awesome
Yes

My brother is in the army and doing an OU course at the same time. It seems highly structured and he always seems to enjoy doing the essays.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:26 
Best
Board Mother

I really enjoyed it Gilly. It was stressful as I was working three jobs and seeing to the kids at the same time. Sometimes it felt a bit lonely after having attended uni for my degree (I was doing a Masters) but for the last few modules we've had closed Facebook groups set up which really helped. I think I struggled too because I wasn't using what I was learning, there was no one to have a conversation about it with.

Unfortunately my Masters isn't accredited by the British Psychological Society, so I need to find out what I can do about that (it didn't matter when I started), but I know that whether I have to do a conversion or a whole other masters it will be much easier this time around because I will be using what I learn.

Tldr; highly recommended, just check they meet any industry standard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 
Excellent Member

It is weird meeting with 2008 me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 
UltraMod

RuySan wrote:
It is weird meeting with 2008 me.

Awful, isn't it? I think everything older than 12 months should be automatically 'archived'.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]