Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 Post subject: People who've successfully quit smoking
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 

I quit smoking eight days ago. Cold turkey. I'm doing good so far and I think this is definitely the one where I quit for good. I genuinely don't want to smoke anymore, so stopping has been relatively easy. Cravings are going down as well after a week.

HOWEVER! I can't fucking sleep at night. It's 3:45AM and I've been laid in bed since 11PM. Admittedly I've spent a couple of hours dicking about on my phone, but the last two hours has been a solid failure of trying to get to sleep, eyes closed and everything!

It has been like this since I quit and I've read that insomnia is a side effect. Was just wondering if anyone else has quit and had similar problems? And how long until I can get on with my damn life?

Post subject: Re: People who've successfully quit smoking
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

While I've not done so and hence can't help, good luck to you, WTB.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 
Unpossible!

I have never smoked and am quite smug about it, but good luck to you my black lunged friend.

Also... insomnia sucks. Exercise late in the day used to help me. You know what works? Sex. Do that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:23 

All the best people have smoked at some point, you should give it a go DavPaz. I keep trying to quit at the moment. But keep finding myself in a cycle where I won't smoke all week then probably subconsciously start thinking that when I go out for a pint at weekend I might have a smoke, then doing so and telling myself that it's because I'd had a drink. Then feeling like I'm quitting all over again the next day. Also being on holiday in Turkey was a complete no-hope situation everyone there smokes. Must try harder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 
Ready for action

WTB wrote:
I quit smoking eight days ago. Cold turkey. I'm doing good so far and I think this is definitely the one where I quit for good. I genuinely don't want to smoke anymore, so stopping has been relatively easy. Cravings are going down as well after a week.

HOWEVER! I can't fucking sleep at night. It's 3:45AM and I've been laid in bed since 11PM. Admittedly I've spent a couple of hours dicking about on my phone, but the last two hours has been a solid failure of trying to get to sleep, eyes closed and everything!

It has been like this since I quit and I've read that insomnia is a side effect. Was just wondering if anyone else has quit and had similar problems? And how long until I can get on with my damn life?

I quit for over a year and then accidently started again, although I 'only' smoke one or two on evenings or when I'm drinking. When I stopped i did it the same way as you, totally cold turkey. I think the reasons I had trouble sleeping was because I started coughing at nights when i stopped, presumably from all the crap getting out of my lungs. Can't really offer you any solid advice about particularly smoking related insomnia but I would recommend doing what you would you do if you had general insomnia. Don't have a tv or music on in the bedroom, don't drink caffeine or fizzy drinks before bed, drink plenty of water, don't play with your phone in bed etc.
Hopefully it is just a passing phase and you'll have put it behind you soon.
Really well done on stopping smoking though, it's hard work but it's totally worth it. The best bit is a few weeks or months in (I can't remember which) when you sit down to dinner one night and have a revelation over the taste of food. It happened to me when I opened a can of Tennents and I was convinced it was off then I relaised it was just that I could properly taste it. Have never touched Tennents since! :D
Keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 
Ready for action

markg wrote:
All the best people have smoked at some point, you should give it a go DavPaz. I keep trying to quit at the moment. But keep finding myself in a cycle where I won't smoke all week then probably subconsciously start thinking that when I go out for a pint at weekend I might have a smoke, then doing so and telling myself that it's because I'd had a drink. Then feeling like I'm quitting all over again the next day. Also being on holiday in Turkey was a complete no-hope situation everyone there smokes. Must try harder.

When I started again, I used the excuse that it was only when I was drinking. Then I found myself deliberatly having a glass of wine or a beer just so I could justify the cigarette. I also justified it by telling myself it was the most stressful period I've ever gone through in my life but that's not a good enough excuse either since the stress I feel about that is nowhere near what it was then, yet I'm still smoking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

DavPaz wrote:
Also... insomnia sucks. Exercise late in the day used to help me. You know what works? Sex. Do that.

:this:

But not too late, or it'll do more harm than good.

Keep it up, WTB. And good luck with that smoking thing, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 
Try some snus if you're really craving a ciggy.

Maybe try sleeping pills? Nytol worked for me when my sleeping rhythm was out of sync.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 
Excellent Member

nickachu wrote:
Try some snus if you're really craving a ciggy.

Maybe try sleeping pills? Nytol worked for me when my sleeping rhythm was out of sync.

Yeah, take some drugs WTB!

The insomnia will be totally nicotine driven, as soon as you get that out of your system and reset your habits, it won;t be an issue any more.

I smoked on and off for years and years but I could stop whenever I wanted. hich begs the question why I kept restarting! Like when I was at uni, I'd smoke up to 20/day but come home for the holidays and not smoke at all. I think I'm just a freak though. I don't miss it but sometimes if I'm really down or stressed, I crave one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 
Hibernating Druid

Hang in there WTB. It's been over 5 years now for me and the Mrs. I replaced my driving to work cigs with lollies so I had something to occupy my hands (I actually caught myself once flicking the lolly out of my window at traffic lights 8) :DD ).

As for the not sleeping maybe try strong cider and a wank.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 
Unpossible!

Might want to warm the cider up first...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 
Awesome
Yes

Well done WTB. Don't let the insomnia put you off the giving up process. You're doing really well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 
Goth

I'd like to give up smoking. I'd have to start first though. (/paul merton)

Good luck WTB in getting rid of the antisocial habit. Don't get addicted to sleeping pills instead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 
Prince of Fops

WTB wrote:

I've tried to quit over the last couple of months as a mini-Fop is arriving in T-minus 3 weeks. Have smoked voraciously for 12 years but didn't find it too hard going a couple of days without. But then I'd crumble after two days by deciding to smoke a fag as a treat for not smoking.

:belm:

Then I got some patches last week. The 15mg Step 1s which I've discovered are far too strong. You can taste the nicotine/something odious in your mouth all day. I had to tear the patch from my stomach to the admiring horrified glances of my female colleagues.

In short, I can't help, but can offer support and platitudes. Stick with it, don't crumble. You'll look back in x years and lambast yourself for being a lilly-livered crumbler of the most light-footed variety if you give up on giving up. Man.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 

Findus Fop wrote:
Then I got some patches last week. The 15mg Step 1s which I've discovered are far too strong. You can taste the nicotine/something odious in your mouth all day. I had to tear the patch from my stomach to the admiring horrified glances of my female colleagues.

Pro tip: just cut them in half (the patches, not your colleagues)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:

I've tried to quit over the last couple of months as a mini-Fop is arriving in T-minus 3 weeks. Have smoked voraciously for 12 years but didn't find it too hard going a couple of days without. But then I'd crumble after two days by deciding to smoke a fag as a treat for not smoking.

:belm:

In short, I can't help, but can offer support and platitudes. Stick with it, don't crumble. You'll look back in x years and lambast yourself for being a lilly-livered crumbler of the most light-footed variety if you give up on giving up. Man.

Congratulations :D

One of my work mates never moved on from patches. He used them and nicotine gum/mints for about 7 months. Then started smoking again. what a dick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 
Hibernating Druid

Cold turkey.

Cheaper and gets the nicotine out of your system faster.

No easy way, just will power.

Best of luck to everyone quitting, you can only do it if you really want to stop.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:18 
Unpossible!

those patches are pain to roll up though

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:20 

Zardoz wrote:
Cold turkey.

Cheaper and gets the nicotine out of your system faster.

Last time I quit for any length of time I used patches and they really helped. Just started cutting them down to half then thirds then one day realised I'd forgotten to even put one on and felt the same. I dunno, I just think that it's better to do whatever's easiest, especially if it stops you from getting a bit tetchy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:23 
Hibernating Druid

I think getting tetchy and shouting at each other while quitting helped us quit, got rid of the frustration on each other... actually quitting with someone else to have 24hr support is probably what helped the most.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Pro tip: just cut them in half (the patches, not your colleagues)

Brilliant! Money and sanity saving.

flis wrote:
Congratulations

One of my work mates never moved on from patches. He used them and nicotine gum/mints for about 7 months.

Thank you! Nervous, still haven't practised breathing exercises. Need some way of making myself useful when the Battle of the Bulge kicks off.

As for patches, I must say I've been guilty of doing what your friend did. Strong patch, 3pm in the afternoon, EPIC cigarette.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 
Hibernating Druid

Hope I don't sound preachy, obviously any way you can find to help you quit is good.

I'm just a tight stubborn bastard. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:35 
Hibernating Druid

Hmm I mostly smoked roll ups with filters so if I say that roughly it cost me £2 a day to smoke (thats under estimating) I've saved at least £3,650 since quitting.

What the fuck have I done with the money? :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
Hmm I mostly smoked roll ups with filters so if I say that roughly it cost me £2 a day to smoke (thats under estimating) I've saved at least £3,650 since quitting.

What the fuck have I done with the money? :D

When did you quit smoking, and why?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:52 
Hibernating Druid

I quit with my wife New Year 2006. Health reasons (it kills you) we weren't enjoying it just smoking out of habit and financial reasons (we were getting married that year). We knew we wanted to start a family too so it's just better to bring up kids in a smoke free home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ah - I was expecting you to say you quit when Mrs Z got pregnant, and then that would neatly have explained where all the money's gone :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:57 
Hibernating Druid

*glances at DSLR, lenses, turntable, amp and expanding record collection*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Zardoz wrote:
*glances at DSLR, lenses, turntable, amp and expanding record collection*

Nope I can't see it either...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:12 

Cor, cheers for the advice and support chums! Good luck to the other quitters too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:21 
Isn't that lovely?

Zardoz wrote:
I think getting tetchy and shouting at each other while quitting helped us quit, got rid of the frustration on each other... actually quitting with someone else to have 24hr support is probably what helped the most.

My parents tried that, several times, my mum manged it better than my dad did, but when he gave up, and started smoking again, my mum would inevitably fail a few days later (being around the smoke, cigarettes and whatever, the temptation would get too much in the end.)

Ultimatly it contributed to their early deaths (aged 64 and 56) which was a shame

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:23 
Hibernating Druid

I can honestly say I'm not in the slightest bit interested in smoking again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:33 

Fuck, sorry to hear that Malc. And also, I think I agree with Zardoz. I reached a point where I wasn't enjoying it anymore and I was literally addicted to this horrible thing. Pretty pathetic. Also, I played 11-a-side football for the first time in a couple of years and was blowing out of my arse. Time to quit!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:43 
Hibernating Druid

Best of luck with it. Don't give in now, the cravings will ease off soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:21 
Best
Board Mother

Good luck WTB, I think it's great that you are doing this. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 18:43 
chewbacca -future arc welder

it gets better after month 2 or did for me anyway, the insomnia, coughing, tetchyness and other brain mangling stuff goes away then.

good reasons for stopping - you dont realise how much u were coughing before, you definetly feel healthier all the time, I swear u feel more optimistic about stuff too!

get ur partner to constantly moan about it and make faces about the smell etc. (not that she needed any encouraging) that helped a lot.

i stopped 2 years ago but still occasionally crave one, sometimes I even dream that I'm smoking then wake up feeling super guilty (this means im weird right?) to quote Sin City (probably poorly) 'nobody ever really quits, smokers are smokers when the chips are down'. however i never want to smoke again!

Best of luck to all quiters - its worth it!

remember - everyone will be terrrribly dissapointed if u give up....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 20:27 
INFINITE POWAH

It's different for everybody. I quit smoking about 9 years ago, after smoking between 1 to 2 packs a day for 7 years or so. Started cutting down shortly before getting together with Mrs K - Mrs K said, "me no likey datey smokey blokey", I quit, found it really hard. 6 months later I moved to London (3 months before Mrs K did), and relapsed lot. Mrs K found out, and I didn't like the fact that the addiction had made me lie to her, so stopped about a month before she got there, and never smoked again. Except maybe 3 cigars a year. Cigars are allowed.

Before I had that "christ, this is making me lie to my fiance" moment, I found it quite tough (hence the relapses), but once I had the internal motivation to do it, I didn't get any withdrawal symptoms at all.

I do still tear up beer mats though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 20:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Wookie - they do not taste horrible. The fact they don't is the reason Mrs K doesn't mind them. :)

Also, whilst people think smoking cigarettes makes them look cool (which it doesn't), cigars genuinely mean you are awesome.

EDIT Oh, deleted post. heh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 22:33 
chewbacca -future arc welder

yeah mistake (stupid tiny keyboard), i said cigarres taste horrible, but i do still partake and yes i agree they lend a touch of class to any occasion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:45 

Ta for the good lucks and further advice/stories - they help!

I'm over two weeks now and it's certainly getting easier. I can also smell things a bit better and I like the fact that I smell like a freshly showered and deodorised person all day now rather than for about half an hour on a morning before I start smoking.

One thing, though - my nose is blocked and my ears feel like I've dived into a swimming pool head first. Did anyone else experience blocked sinuses/ears when they quit? How long did it last? It's really annoying. Feels like a head cold, but without any of the other symptoms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:49 
Hibernating Druid

Had lots of cold symptoms after I quit. It's your body getting rid of all the cack.

Well done, btw. Hard part is pretty much over now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:49 
Hibernating Druid

:hat:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:02 
Best
Board Mother

Yes, good going! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:02 

Hang on, you can't set yourself up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 18:04 
Best
Board Mother

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Within 20 minutes of smoking that last cigarette, the body begins a series of changes that continues for years.

20 MINUTES

Blood pressure drops to normal.
Pulse rate drops to normal.
Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal.
8 HOURS

Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal.
Oxygen level in blood increases to normal.
24 HOURS

Chance of heart attack decreases.
48 HOURS

Nerve endings start regrowing.
Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS

Circulation improves.
Walking becomes easier.
Lung function increases up to 30%.
1 TO 9 MONTHS

Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease.
Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection.
Body's overall energy increases.
1 YEAR

Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
5 YEARS

Lung cancer death rate for average smoker (one pack a day) decreases by almost half.
Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus is half that of a smoker's.
10 YEARS

Lung cancer death rate similar to that of nonsmokers.
Precancerous cells are replaced.
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.
15 YEARS

Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker.

What Are Some Rewards of Quit Smoking!

Within a few days you will probably begin to notice some remarkable changes in your body. Your sense of smell and taste may improve. You will breathe easier, and your smoker's hack will begin to disappear, although you may notice that you will continue to cough for a while. And you will be free from the mess, smell, inconvenience, expense, and dependence of cigarette smoking.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 19:31 
Excellent Member

Well Done. I gave up two years ago after smoking since I was 16.

Best thing I have - Ever -done. Giving up World of Warcraft was almost as hard but not quite :)

Also I find Good Green tea helped me a lot, some are very clear and clean in flavour and a hot cup can take the edge off.

Try: jingtea.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:59 

I'm already a huge advocate of green tea, but people like Zardoz will take the piss out of you if you mention it on here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:04 

Poof.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:09 
Hibernating Druid

o/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:19 

\o