Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 16:26 

Same problem as the GTA games, really. You spend hours murdering people left right and centre, including cops, and then the cutscenes start and your character turns into a spineless wimpy pussy who gets beat on by people all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 16:38 
Sleepyhead

myp it wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
RE5 has boss battles and doesn't suck.

8) 8) 8)

I'm a bit of a Resi fanboy and even I'd admit the Resi 5 boss battles were fucking horrible.

"myp it"

Really?

What did you do to offend the mods this time?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 16:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He exists

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 16:41 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
What did you do to offend the mods this time?

Broke yo' momma's back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 16:59 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... EUS+EX.htm

Xbox game plus 800 MS points for £29.99 at Argos

** Edit - Apologies , just seen that Doccy G posted this on the last page **

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 17:01 
Paws for thought

Mr Dave wrote:
myp it wrote:
Bosses are archaic and can get fucked in modern gaming.

Disagree. White bosses can though.

Shadow of the colossus would've been Bruno Shit without boss battles

White bosses? Shit bosses!

Bloody white supremacist phone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 17:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What they need to do is to provide boss sections that you can deal with in the same ways as the rest of the game, only tricker.

I consider this bit to be a boss section, done quite well (late Hengsha spoiler)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The server room annex in the tower block. Lasers blocking off parts of the room, multiple guards, sentry robots. You can brute force it or sneak it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 17:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

I snuck that part. Was a bit fiddly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 17:28 
Rude Belittler

Craster wrote:
There's an argument to be said that it makes absolutely no sense that you would sneak your way around a warehouse for four hours and then leap out into the final room and start shouting at the big bad boss people, rather then just hiding in a corner and capping him in the head.
Maybe you've found your balls, after four hours of pussying about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 18:36 

That's what's pissing me off though. I've built my character up to be Johnny Sneaky, and it's been working fine until now, where it turns out I actually need to be Johnny Hardbastard.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 18:37 
Excellent Member

ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I snuck that part. Was a bit fiddly.

that part was ace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 19:47 

I'm going a fairly sneaky route, or I'm trying (can't play stealth games to save my life... keep thinking "surely he can see me from here", moving a few inches to somewhere I'm no less or more visible, and being seen) and I'm aware of these bosses. Only done the first mission, now exploring the city near my office, have found the sniper rifle and have walked into

The convention centre, where a number of punks got cross with me for being there and killed me

so not sure when the boss fight is, but it has occurred to me I need to grab an expansion to my inventory and a shotgun before I face the first boss. Amiright?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 19:54 
Bad Girl

Get the invisibilty aug and you'll be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 19:56 
Master of dodgy spelling....

zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9370463/Trail/searchtext%3EDEUS+EX.htm

Got this price matched at gamestation, so got loyalty points too...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 20:46 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

KovacsC wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9370463/Trail/searchtext%3EDEUS+EX.htm

Got this price matched at gamestation, so got loyalty points too...

I went into Argos on the way home , the automatic machines refused the reservation number and said i had to go to a manned checkout , they rang it up and it said £39.99 , i told them the website said £29.99 , they checked and overrode the till - so I have the game - however worth being aware of.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 23:14 
Bad Girl

Goddamn fetch quests. Hnngh!

At least the interview parts are better than LA Noire. This just shows how simple it could have been to give the jist of what you're about to say.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 0:31 
Bad Girl

Well, I tried to be stealthy, I really did, but my fully upgraded laser sighted silenced hand gun has turned me into a headshot monster.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 
What-ho, chaps!

Say, does the console version have any kind of auto aim or aim magnetism (where sweeping your cursor over a target causes you to automatically circle them or automatically slow down)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

MrD wrote:
Say, does the console version have any kind of auto aim or aim magnetism (where sweeping your cursor over a target causes you to automatically circle them or automatically slow down)?

I think there's an option for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 
Gogmagog

I'm beginning to violently twitch at this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I managed to start playing.. I love it so far.. Although I am only 30 secs into the warehouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 19:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
It is made abundantly clear that you effectively have a license to kill, and freedom to exercise it as you see fit.

Yeah yeah, you have a gun, therefore you can shoot people. I'm talking about how actions materially affect conversations in game. The fact that nobody muses on how the streets are littered with corpses, and the fact there isn't even a hint of reproach for being a derranged killer, is quite crap.

Also, Hengsha spoiler:

The first time I went to the Hive, I killed EVERYONE inside. Then later, when the plot makes me return to the club, everyone is still dead, and Tong is standing there at the upstairs bar, entirely unpeturbed to be the only person alive and surrounded by bodies. Not the slightest difference in conversation. Poor.

How far would you want them to go with this sort of idea though?

Ultimately the game has to:

a) Remain completable

and

b) Remain fun

I can't think of any game that really lets you deviate too far from the main plotline, however much incidental branching the missions do, they're effectively forced to come back to the main 'trunk' as it were. Even the original Deus Ex, with its three endings, let you get right up to the very last area before your actions actually chose what ending you got.

I remember having this discussion with a chum when the original Half Life came out, how far would AI be able to go? How far would we want it go? It was quite impressive the way the soldiers would search for you within a given area, but what if they chased you from one zone to the next? What if they set up a cordon around the area you were in to make escape impossible?

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with a developer a few years ago who was saying that there was nothing much stopping them from doing far more 'realistic' AI, so that enemies had proper persistence, remembered who you were and what you'd done, communicated with each other from one area to the next, all that sort of thing - but that they very quickly ended up with a game that was impossible to play and/or so tedious and gruelling that no one could be bothered.

Take this game and your specific point, yes it seems odd that they don't remember you as being a maniac killer after you've slaughtered an entire club full of people, but then again what would actually happen is the police would lock the entire area down and the game would effectively be over. At the end of the day you're always going to have to buy into the fact that it's a game and not realistic.

Same goes for Tong, he has to be there, even if you've just killed every person in his club, because he's part of the main plotline -
there's only so much branching and deviation a developer can reasonably do, especially with development times for games already measured in years and tens of millions of dollars.

Overall I think this game does a pretty good job of offering a decent amount of choice and variety when it comes to what to do, whilst not becoming far too labyrinth and unwieldy, it's certainly no worse than the original Deus Ex IMO - the original Deus Ex just masked it a bit more because the levels were so big.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 19:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
I'm beginning to violently twitch at this.

Same.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 20:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
Well, I tried to be stealthy, I really did, but my fully upgraded laser sighted silenced hand gun has turned me into a headshot monster.

:this:

When it's fully pimped out it's absolutely deadly AND allows silent takedowns, frankly you'd be nuts not to.

Although I did entertain myself for a while last night going on a shotgun and heavy rifle rampage, with a few grenades chucked in (literally) for good measure.

Then I went back to my last save and did it properly :D

Overall I think the 'extreme stealth' approach is probably more for the completionists and cheevo whores, certainly stealth has its place, but overall I'm definitely leaning more towards a generous dose of killing in most situations.

Having uber-hacking is a big help too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 20:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

My current favourite is the 'say hello to my little friend' approach, which involves hacking a turret to attack enemies, then carrying it around the place to kill bad guys.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 20:36 

I had a little giggle when I saw this earlier...

Attachment:
2011-09-02_00001.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 20:42 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
I think there's an option for it.

It's optional? It's optional... IT'S OPTIONAL!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 21:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

No no, AE, I don't want my actions to materially affect the main plot of the game. What I expect though is more commentary on my style of play, such as 'fucking hell, you maniac, you killed all those people, but, grumble, here's your next quest anyway'.

I feel that even the original Deus Ex had more of this, even though such commentary didn't affect the game.

Also, lol Craster, that had never occured to me to do. I'm so going to try that :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 22:31 

Got to the first boss fight. It's a bit shit, particularly on Hard.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 22:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It is shit. The very concept of straight up, mano-e-mano boss fights doesn't fit with the rest of the game at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 23:34 
Legendary Boogeyman

Here's a very pertinent question. Just prior to killing the 2nd boss, I noticed that just before I took them out the prompt to stun/kill appeared briefly.

It made me ponder if it was therefore possible to do a 'finishing move' on the bosses if their health was low enough. anyone want to test that? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 0:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Hot damn this game is good, I'm going to stop playing it for tonight to watch a film instead and calm down a bit.

After a busy and not entirely fun week at work - (I'm too old to learn about new technologies, especially stuff that isn't even properly documented yet!) - a nice session of general mayhem (sometimes with elements of stealth) has been most welcome.

It's not perfect, but it's the best thing I've played in a long time. Currently my summary would be Max Payne crossed with F.E.A.R. crossed with Deus Ex.

There's also much fun to be had by laying waste to an entire section (the game is pretty tightly divided into 'arenas' a lot of the time) in the most destructive fashion imaginable (which you'd never do 'properly' as it uses up far too much ammo and grenades and energy cells), and then refining that same section again and again until you get it just the way you want to.

Well there is for me at least :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 0:24 
Legendary Boogeyman

I still haven't unlocked the Gun Nut achievement. I've slapped every mod onto my 10mm that I've found so far but apparently this is still not 'fully upgraded'. It is however incredibly fucking lethal. <3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 0:28 
Hello Hello Hello

So I started watching a film and I was thinking to myself, 'I could still be playing DEHR'.

Damn game.

Back onto Steam it is then.

(Also note that this game has totally supplanted WoW since I got it, and that's no mean feat. I've just about managed to log into WoW for my daily AH scan and transmutes.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Here's a very pertinent question. Just prior to killing the 2nd boss, I noticed that just before I took them out the prompt to stun/kill appeared briefly.

It made me ponder if it was therefore possible to do a 'finishing move' on the bosses if their health was low enough. anyone want to test that? :)

I'm on the second boss now, and if you try and do a lethal or non-lethal takedown, she fucking spanks your ass, and not in a nice way.

I think they put it in there just to tease the player.

She's also a bit nimble, died about 10 times up to now :o

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:26 
Hello Hello Hello

No problems with the boss fight today (think I was a bit squiffy and not thinking straight last night).

It's a lot like a fight in WoW, you just have to work out the tactics to follow and execute them, hardly took any damage on the kill this time. Also, I noted the game made sure it gave you everything you might need in the lockers around the edge of the room, so you couldn't turn up there with an 'incorrect' character build and/or weapons load out.

I have to say though, that if the loading times were more than the few seconds I was waiting it could start to grate a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:46 
Bad Girl

I was thinking earlier after completing the lower city bit in China (and moving onto the bit that'll lead to the city above) that I never looked 'up'. Y'know to see the underside of the city on a city. I must have been kept entertained to forget to press the stick down and maybe I missed some fantastic vista. Did anyone else peak up?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:47 

'Twas the loading times for me. The simple solution is to not die during the course of the game - straightforward enough. But when you get to a boss and the 'open ended' nature of the game is put to one side, the very few seconds it takes to get killed going through the trial end error of figuring the boss out are always going to be shorter than the reload times, and you spend longer reloading than playing your next go.

Solved first boss by turning on auto-aim, turning down the difficulty and doing what I did the first twenty times but being luckier.

Why bother with these bits at all? Jarring, needless crap. If I want boss battles I'll get a Nintendo console.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:47 

Ian Fairies wrote:
in China

Spoilers!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 17:08 
Hello Hello Hello

GovernmentYard wrote:
'Twas the loading times for me. The simple solution is to not die during the course of the game - straightforward enough. But when you get to a boss and the 'open ended' nature of the game is put to one side, the very few seconds it takes to get killed going through the trial end error of figuring the boss out are always going to be shorter than the reload times, and you spend longer reloading than playing your next go.

Solved first boss by turning on auto-aim, turning down the difficulty and doing what I did the first twenty times but being luckier.

Why bother with these bits at all? Jarring, needless crap. If I want boss battles I'll get a Nintendo console.

The first boss was a bit pantsy I admit, but I thought the second boss was a fantastic battle, really enjoyed it, even when I had to give up last night as she kept absolutely kicking my arse.

Came back to it with a clear head today and a decent tactical approach very quickly made itself apparent, still took a few goes to execute it properly but once I got it right - BOOM, she went down like a sack of spuds. Very satisfying.

The Eurogamer face-off does specifically point out that loading times are a pain in the neck on the console versions and I can fully appreciate that, even the few seconds I have to wait are a nuisance.

In all fairness though I don't think the bosses are 'trial and error' - all I had to do with the second boss was appraise the environment and consider why the game was 'gifting' me what it was in the lockers around the edge of room, job done.

The third boss is another good fight as well, apparently, although I don't think I'll get there today.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 17:18 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Killed the first boss on my third go. He was a bit of an arse, but not too difficult; just used some EMP/Concussion grenades and shot him in the face a lot.

Still enjoying this game, but I don't seem to be finding it as incredible as you lot. It's well done, and fun, but nothing particularly spectacular.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 17:25 
Comfortably Dumb

GovernmentYard wrote:
If I want boss battles I'll get a Nintendo console.

Nintendo consoles are known for boss battles?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 18:22 

Metroid - Bosses. Castlevania - Bosses. Mario - Bosses. Zelda - Bosses. Starfox - Bosses. Kirby - Bosses.

They even make spin-offs for the bosses - Donkey Kong, Wario, etc.

You only need end of level guardians if you've got levels and they end. Splint.... sorry Deus Ex: Nintendo Revolution doesn't need any such toss. There should eb a rule now where if you are putting end of level guardians into modern games where there's no need, you have to use Dobkeratops from R-Type.

That'll put a end to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 18:40 
Bad Girl

Bosses can be a nice full stop for a level though. It'd be a bit dull if you got to the end of a level and just walked through a door and that was it. Done right, a boss can cap off a level nicely, and often make a level memorable.

I'm not saying these are though although I've only met one and that was tedious shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 18:51 
Honey Boo Boo

I done made an fillum in this game. Please enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbGjRWKcfPI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 19:42 

I did enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 19:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I did enjoy it.

I also laughed a lot the first time I impaled her myself :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 19:49 
Ready for action

I was dreading the boss battle after hearing all the complaints about it here but I've just passed the first one and didn't have a problem with it.
I died on my first go because I ducked behind the piece of cover right in front of me and so when I needed to reload he was already right on top of me and i couldn't get to more cover. Second time, remembering reading someone mentioning non lethal take downs in a boss fight I ran at him and he cuddled me to death. Third time, I stuck the pillars in the corner of the room, popped out to shoot him whenever he was reloading then changed cover and beat him no problem with almost no injury to myself and no need for the supplies dotted around the room. It was all pretty straightforward and seemed like the rest of the game. If you're patient and watch how they act you can get round them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 20:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Gilly wrote:
It was all pretty straightforward and seemed like the rest of the game. If you're patient and watch how they act you can get round them.

Tactics, innit.

You can't overpower the boss fights in this game, you have to treat them like boss fights in WoW, if you flat out refuse to use a valid approach, the game wipes the floor with you, if you spend a bit of time sussing it out, it clicks into place quickly and nicely.

Also what Mr Fairies said, the boss fights are a nice satisfying ending to the chapters - overall I have no problem with them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 0:16 
Excellent Member

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Gilly wrote:
It was all pretty straightforward and seemed like the rest of the game. If you're patient and watch how they act you can get round them.

Tactics, innit.

You can't overpower the boss fights in this game, you have to treat them like boss fights in WoW, if you flat out refuse to use a valid approach, the game wipes the floor with you, if you spend a bit of time sussing it out, it clicks into place quickly and nicely.

Also what Mr Fairies said, the boss fights are a nice satisfying ending to the chapters - overall I have no problem with them.

Disagree

I used the same tactics for all bosses and killed them all 1st or 2nd go
Details:

Use the PEPs to knock them down ,then unload with the explosive tipped revolver, while chucking one or two frag mines. The only one that took two goes was the girl, cos I was told "the floor is conductive" so sat there trying to stun gun it and got killed. The first guy I didnt have my revolver so used mines and my 10mm handgun. Bosses were very easy. The final one was a bit of a joke too. Explosive tip revolver only. By that time I had 80 odd rounds for it, more than enough

Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next