Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sapphire & Steel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 17:49 
Excellent Member

“Heavy transuranic elements may not be used where there is human life…” thus blared the God-like voice in the opening of Sapphire & Steel as squiggly lines and shimmering blobs depicted time, space and er, ‘elements’. Fashionably knocked by stare-sidelong-at-camera pundits nowadays, a fourteen year old me thought this intro was awesome. The idea of demi-gods, possibly indeed born of metals and jewels, keeping the human race safe from the invasion of a conscious and possibly malignant force of ‘time’ was too cool in all its Michael Moorcockian splendour for me to resist. You can’t go subtle on a set-up like that, it needs all the gotterdammerung of a heavy brass section, a sinister glowering floating helmet and the bellowing words “SAPPHIRE & STEEL HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED,” followed by the twice-wound sound of a hunting horn.

Ironic then, that what followed lacked all bombast. My first exposure to Sapphire & Steel came through my mum, who held cherished memories of the duo from the years when I mewled like a small needy thing from a pram in the soot-caked suburbs of Huddersfield. She’d found to her joy that they’d been released on VHS, and she bought the opening adventure. Age ten, I sat down cross-legged next to the fire (as children are wont to do) and lost myself for a few hours.

Upstairs in a house filled with old antiques and clocks an old nursery rhyme is being sung by mother and father to their little girl who rocks back and forth upon her hobby-horse. Downstairs her older brother scratches away at his homework. Suddenly, silence. The voices have ceased. The myriad clocks have stopped. The boy runs upstairs and finds his family gone. In the bedroom rocks a horse without a rider. Two impassive figures appear, a man and a woman smartly dressed, each with blonde hair and cold eyes. Sapphire and Steel. They explain to the boy that his family has been take by time. Existence, they tell him, is like a corridor and this corridor has weak spots through which time can break through and take things, people. Places with a dangerous amount of history, stuffed with old antiques are especially vulnerable and apt to rupture when triggered by old stories, songs or games. Naturally the boy freaks and tries to escape, but in jumping through the kitchen window the mysterious agents send him into a time loop where he’s forced to repeat the action again and again. Sapphire quickly releases him and having convinced the boy that the two magic-powered anthropormorphasised inanimate objects are on the level, they set to work at sealing the rift and getting the family back.

Obviously it gave me nightmares, but hey, at least that was a welcome break from the ongoing bad-dream saga that was The Tripods.

There were many elements that made the show gripping telly, but the key one was the remarkable casting of the two leads. Originally conceived of as simply a kid’s show, creator P. J. Hammond decided to cast the best names he could fish for and thus ensure that everyone in the production took the show seriously. Joanna Lumley, fresh off a debilitating but rather popular run of the The New Avengers, was cast as Sapphire and David McCallum, a respected actor who had made his name with his portrayal of Ilya Kuriakin in The Man from Uncle, played Steel. Both actors were intrigued by the thoughtful script sent them and against expectations agreed to sign up. It was an added boon that as far as their personalities they both naturally slipped into the roles. Sapphire was the empathic member of the team, a diplomat, there to reassure and guide the human element. She also was not above manipulation, bending humans to her will for the mission to succeed. Steel was a cold, scientific, agent totally committed to success at all costs. Very rarely showing emotion other than frustration at the slow wittedness of humanity, or occassional fear of the brute force and low cunning of time, he was clearly the mentor and the organiser of the team. This casting fitted the pair well. Lumley was a cheerful sort with a natural sense of understated comedic timing and a motherly tone. McCallum had a freezing glare, stern features and led a pretty serious regimented life himself, though he was a warm and cheerful individual. Both looked incredibly ayran, as if the Nazi’s had won and made the X-Files.

Each show had a pretty strong feeling of the M R James vein of gothic horror and it was this that was in my opinion its main strength. Without fuss the adventures would quietly open with the eerie wrenching of a physical location out of time. The Earth outside of the confines of a house, or a railway station or a motorway café would cease to exist. Looped sounds of birds chirping of cars roaring would be heard, oft-times from an external void of night or through the bright obscuring glare of strong sunlight. The show was very studio bound and this served to only heighten the claustrophobia. Into this temporal oasis people caught out of time would appear, like ghosts. Some would be traumatised and demand return. Some would relive moments of their lives in a looped fashion. Others would be stolid and indifferent, or suspicious. It was up to Sapphire and Steel to find out what time wanted, what it had taken and how it could be defeated. The subtle horrors presented were sublime and budget friendly. Deadly roving points of light. A faceless man. A swarm of umbrellas. The emotional rage of the Glorious Dead who’d been lied to. Given time the show could have slipped its child-friendly mandate and headed into the realm of Jamie Delano Hellblazer.

It did get silly, true. The adventure in the tower block is pretty terrible and very heavy handed with its animal-rights polemic. And it did get terribly slow and confusing – the tale in the manor house where a party slips further and further back in time and guests are picked off one by one has a fun concept, but muddles hopelessly. Still, three out of the six adventures were gold. One saw Sapphire and Steel essentially manipulating a foolish, guileless man into committing a terrible suicide of body and soul in order to defeat time, and Steel has not the decency at the end to show anything other than cold triumph. Another had a force that could travel from photograph to photograph kidnapping people and trapping them inside, and could only be defeated by the burning of said images – with inevitable collateral damage. My favourite, arguably the slowest paced of all, has unforgetable images – some of them quite Lynchian. Sapphire and Steel investigate a marooned in the void 1970’s motorway service station. There they are joined by the feckless and charismatic fellow agent Silver, a dapper dandy who cannot entirely be trusted. There are two people trapped there from the forties, who seem remarkably calm and disinterested. Also present is a sinister gypsy figure with a deadly small chess box. It’s a trap… but the nature of which is not immediately apparent.

Sapphire and Steel ended on a gloriously downbeat note, leaving the ‘heroes’ to a fate which it seemed impossible to escape. As if John LeCarre had found himself head of the children’s TV department, the two agents were callously sacrificed themselves, abandoned by their organisation as part of a ‘tactical retreat’. The program ends with them stranded in the void, staring with dull but mounting horror from the window of a motorway café out at eternity. The perfect marriage of new-wave Ballardian sci-fi and gothic horror.

And there the show ended. Another series was never commissioned, which came as a relief for P. J. Hammond who admitted that he’d sort of run out of ideas. What Sapphire and Steel proved, and what I believe still holds true, is that evoked feelings and mystery in a show can in cases be more frightening and exciting for children than monsters. The unknown space under a bed at night is the real horror, not the monsters imagination places there. If children are told something as simple as a wandering point of light is deadly, and the actors and direction sell the idea well enough, a simple spotlight effect can be far more frightening than a noisy CGI monster. The show thrived on a slow-burn atmosphere and always kept its mystery, holding its cards pretty close to its chest. P J Hammond disliked the notion of lore and felt that the more that was explained, the more bogged down a fantasy could become. We never even really found out what Sapphire and Steel actually were, though Lumley theorised (incorrectly I reckon) that they were ghosts. Whatever they were, it proved that child-friendly actors and characters weren’t necessarily needed if you could make the environment mysterious enough, and it was this that hooked the parents in as well and made it true tea-time telly, a show frequently spooky enough to send the nippers to bed with nightmares of invisible, broodingly incorporeal and malevolent scientific principles out to get you.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Post subject: Re: Sapphire & Steel
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 19:08 
Excellent Member

I've always loved S&S - not really a 'bad' episode among them, with adventure 3 being the least good and adventure 2 (railway station) being excellent.

It's also a classic example on how to make a quality series on a very limited budget, by not only being careful with production and design (and directors, etc), but also relying on very good writing (producers of Dr Who - take note).

Great stuff. They really don't make TV like this any more, which is rather sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 19:11 
Goth

I love Sapphire and Steel too. The tower block one is probably the weakest and the first two adventures are definitely the best. Probably the first one is tops for me. One of the creepiest moments for me is the reciting backwards of a nursery rhyme.

It's certainly a peculiar show and nothing is ever really explained but that's definitely part of the charm. Sometimes things are mysterious. Deal with it.

I've still not watched the final episodes. I really must. And Blake's 7.

Pete, have you seen Children of the Stones? Strongly recommend that if you haven't. (undoubtedly all this talk of 80s sci fi will summon Chinny)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 19:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

NervousPete wrote:
“Heavy transuranic elements may not be used where there is human life…”

"Medium atomic weights are available ..." - I remember reading somewhere that it was someone famous who read the lines but they would not reveal who it was

I'm a little bit older and had the joy of watching them in their separate parts , which meant instead of you having the show to watch right through you got a small portion of it and then it ended on its cliff hanger and you had to wait a week to see what happened next - I particularly remember the photograph one (and the cliffhangers to that) and the Train station with the squaddie.

Spooky / Scary and something that I remember parts of now despite not seeing it since (although I have the DVD box set)

If you enjoyed the shows I'd suggest hunting down the "big finish" audio books which follow on - having David Warner and Susanna Harker as the leads - there are a few good stories and they do still have the same intro :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 21:42 
Excellent Member

I remember the song “Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag” from a few episodes I watched as a kid, scared the shit out of me at the time and I never remember watching much S&S after that.

Don’t think I was scared off it, just never really had the opportunity, maybe my bed time was changed or something!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 21:51 
Excellent Member

The was from the second adventure, set in the old railway station. It's many people's favourite episode.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 22:56 

DerekFME wrote:
Pete, have you seen Children of the Stones? Strongly recommend that if you haven't. (undoubtedly all this talk of 80s sci fi will summon Chinny)

I'll also back you up here and recommend this.

Also, sort of along the same lines, is The Omega Factor.

Of course, I now have to mention The Stone Tape and almost anything else from the glorious Nigel Kneale.

Lastly, I must add to the comments here of how wonderful Sapphire & Steel was - just ahead of its time and a brilliant TV series.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:38 
Hibernating Druid

I really enjoyed reading that Pete. I only have vague memories of the show but I do remember if frightening me at the time. I'll have to give it a watch again.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 

I've never seen it. I'd heard the name assumed it was some sort of cop show and filed it alongside Dempsey and Makepeace. However this has intrigued me enough to have a look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 
Hibernating Druid

Mmmmm Makepeace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I've never seen it. I'd heard the name assumed it was some sort of cop show and filed it alongside Dempsey and Makepeace. However this has intrigued me enough to have a look.

It very much seems to have a cult following, it certainly didn't become mainstream like, for example, Dr Who. However, I have to say that if I was stranded on a desert island and had a choice between DVDs of every single surviving Dr Who episode and the relatively few Sapphire and Steel episodes (only six TV adventures were made), I'd unhesitatingly choose the latter. :)

As you would expect, they all appear to have been uploaded to YouTube, but I'd recommend renting or buying the DVDs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:07 

Thanks for doing this thread, I remember being very unsettled as a 9 year old watching this.

As all 6 stories are on youtube, I've watched 1 and 2 , and will watch the remaining 4 this week.

I dont think I ever saw any of the stories all the way through as they were split into several episodes, so watching it all as one extended film is great - recommend you watch it full screen and with the lights off btw (esp assignment 2)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
PS: "Lead" I found a bit of a disturbing character in Assignment 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 
Excellent Member

Glad this is striking a chord. Rewatching episode one for the first time in many years after writing this I'm struck by the number of mistakes I've made though! No rocking-horse a-rocking, the girl isn't taken, they're not seperated from the outside world...

:belm:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 
Hibernating Druid

YOU FRAUD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 
It's all pish

Great stuff as ever, Pete! I don't remember much about the show, bar the faceless person, who gave me nightmares for weeks I think. I remember my Mum being a big fan of the show, but I think it was mainly because she had the hots for David McCallum.

Xbox Live & Game Centre ID - MalcSeventyFour
You're not allowed to be better than me, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 13:12 

NervousPete wrote:
Glad this is striking a chord. Rewatching episode one for the first time in many years after writing this I'm struck by the number of mistakes I've made though! No rocking-horse a-rocking, the girl isn't taken, they're not seperated from the outside world...

:belm:

Rocking horse / rocking chair - close enough, remember Memento? Did he poke her with a needle or pinch her behind? Memories are unreliable. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 
Hibernating Druid

Started watching the first assignment on youtube last night (pretty long aren't they? still have a couple of 'segments' to go). Really enjoyable watch, dated effects aside I think it stands up really well.

Joanna Lumley: Would

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]