Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Samsung Monitors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:13 

As you may know my two samsungs have not fared well. The 20" 2032MW I got for my 360 in 2008 dropped dead just before the 3 year warranty expired, so Ebuyer got me to phone samsung, who got me to send it to Viewtek in Sunderland, who fixed it up good as new.

On boxing day 2009 I got a 2333HD as lounge telly (360, Wii, Freeview), to be replaced within the year when I could get something bigger, then it was going into my computer room (PC, other 360, freeview). From new, it had a buzzing sound if I turned the backlight down at all from 10, and intemittently the same sound would be there on analogue inputs like RF so watching TV would sometimes be fine and sometimes be not. I had nothing else to run my 360 through though so I made do for a few months, as I thought I'd be upgrading and could send it off then. My finances never stretched to the upgrade though so before Xmas and the 'expiry' of Comet's '1 year warranty' I phoned them and as with my other model was told to call Samsung. Being Xmas I needed the thing for XBox still so resolved to send it off in new year, but deaths in the family and mental working hours meant I got round to it a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday, my unit arrived back, I hooked it up, there's now transformer whine for the first half hour of use (I can hear this really badly but my other Samsung makes no noise at all) and the hum still occurs using most picture settings.

I've contacted Samsung and they're going to 'look into it and call me back'.

If Comet had replaced the thing when I first contacted them I'd be fine now... moral is 1: Never buy from Comet and 2: never buy anything that comes with one of these supposed 1 year warranties, if a company isn't confident your unit will last longer than 12 months, it isn't worth it. I can see if I contact them again now, they'll try to fob me off as we're 8 months outside their bullshit 12 and my receipt is *somewhere* in the house unless it has been chucked out. Maybe Samsung will repair it properly this time, and maybe I'll have to get my Credit Card people involved.

All I know is I've paid £220 and want my product to work silently like my other Samsung.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Monitors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:09 

It's going back for another repair, so time to dismantle both my PC setups again. Dicks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 
Gogmagog

Always by TV's from John Lewis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 

I've only lived near one John Lewis, in Manchester, and it closed :(

I'll say this though - DPD the couriers are EXCELLENT. They're coming tomorrow and I get a text at the start of my 1 hour collection 'window' so know to be in from the garden.

Last time, I phoned just before mid-day and they were there in an hour to pick the bugger up. Happy days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:30 
Gogmagog

GovernmentYard wrote:
I've only lived near on, in Manchester, and it closed :(

You didn't go there for a lecture on communism?

Sorry to hear of your woes, I hope it gets sorted out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 

You've given me an idea for a thread...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 13:10 

GovernmentYard wrote:
I've only lived near one John Lewis, in Manchester, and it closed :(

I'll say this though - DPD the couriers are EXCELLENT. They're coming tomorrow and I get a text at the start of my 1 hour collection 'window' so know to be in from the garden.

Slightly off-topic, but John Lewis couriers are also excellent in my experience - they acheived the seemingly impossible by getting a superking matterss up the stairs to our flat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:43 

I'm cross. It went back for second repair a week ago, just had a call from a woman at Viewtek, asking what the problem is... I referred her to the detailed letter I enclosed with the monitor explaining when the hum occurrs. She said she didn't have one, I told her she did, it was in with the monitor. She said she didn't know anything about it. I explained the hum was coming from the backlight as when I turned it below 10 on HDMI it returned, and that a new transformer whine was evident when I received the unit back the first time. She then said Samsung had told them it was happening on analog inputs, I stated that was the original problem but I was using HDMI when the unit came back and that was where I found the issue to reoccur. She said they couldn't hear anything... I explained it was intermittent and she then said that 'we can only have the monitor here for so long, if we can't replicate the issue there's nothing we can do'.

And now they're off to look at it again.

Not sure what to do if they send it back, I can only imagine they are testing it in a room with other noise. Where I use it, it is very quiet and the noise is as annoying as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:02 

Monitor arrived back today. Problem still there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:17 

Now trying Samsung again - first time round had to hang up - could not understand a word the individual at the other end was saying. Getting fairly livid now.

/edit And again. How the fuck am I supposed to resolve this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:18 

GovernmentYard wrote:
Now trying Samsung again - first time round had to hang up - could not understand a word the individual at the other end was saying. Getting fairly livid now.

You could probably pop out later and get yourself a free replacement. :p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:37 
Sitting balls-back folder

GovernmentYard wrote:
I've had an increasing quantity of stuff come via them recently and I have to say... they really do seem to be ace.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:40 

Fifth time lucky getting someone who speaks English - they said they could repair it again or replace. I said 'replace please'. Put through to someone in England... am now being told they will not replace until a third repair has been attempted. I suggested they should have done their fucking job the first two times, and that I will be working nights and then away for a couple of weeks so sending it back isn't much of an option till late August. Things are now 'on hold' until then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 17:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's ridiculous.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]