Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: LulzSec
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:14 

Does anyone else think the LulzSec guys are hilarious? Barring knocking out Minecraft, natch.

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 29-The Copper Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 
Excellent Member

If I'm honest the thing I'm most looking forward to is the QQing that comes from them when they all get arrested.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
Does anyone else think the LulzSec guys are hilarious? Barring knocking out Minecraft, natch.

No, not really. Not at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 

Decca wrote:
If I'm honest the thing I'm most looking forward to is the QQing that comes from them when they all get arrested.

Oh yeah, that'll be great!

But I think it's incredibly entertaining that a bunch of people are so brazenly taking the piss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
Decca wrote:

But I think it's incredibly entertaining that a bunch of people are so brazenly taking the piss.

Really? I'm quite surprised over this.

Especially because you changed your name

Quote:
Once to avoid stalker-stalky types who knew my old username,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
Decca wrote:

Really? I'm quite surprised over this.

Yeah! I'm not entirely sure what's so appealing about it, but I think it might be the fact that relatively normal people can exercise such power using the internets. It's interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

"Relatively normal" people can wield quite a bit of power with sledgehammers, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 

Grim... wrote:
"Relatively normal" people can wield quite a bit of power with sledgehammers, too.

Stoving heads in? Smashing up property? Is that really the same thing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 
Hibernating Druid

Like Peter Gabriel.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 
Unpossible!

WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well, it is technically 'smashing property' isn't it? Intentionally damaging someone else's business?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Depends how broadly you look at it, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I think it's actually worse, due to the numbers of people who are injured as a result of these stupidly childish actions, thinking it's "taking a stand against the man" or some nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 

DavPaz wrote:
WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Well, it is technically 'smashing property' isn't it? Intentionally damaging someone else's business?

Perhaps. I dunno, I still think it's entertaining and interesting. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I think it's actually worse, due to the numbers of people who are injured as a result of these stupidly childish actions, thinking it's "taking a stand against the man" or some nonsense.

Anarchy!

Seriously though, I find it odd that others can only see the annoyance factor and don't find it compelling. It's another fascinating facet of the internet and the way it functions as a community.

Comfortably Dumb

WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Anarchy!

Seriously though, I find it odd that others can only see the annoyance factor and don't find it compelling.

From what I read, they were taking requests for sites to take down - what if it had been a site you ran?

Unpossible!

WTB wrote:

Like a lot of these childish pranks, it's entertaining until it happens to you. Imagine if you made a living off your website and some random prick off the net crashed it for 'the lulz'. Not so funny, I reckon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

WTB wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

What would you think if they broke into Beex* and hung out all our details (and PMs) for everyone to see?

*Which, to be honest, even I could do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 

devilman wrote:
WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Anarchy!

Seriously though, I find it odd that others can only see the annoyance factor and don't find it compelling.

From what I read, they were taking requests for sites to take down - what if it had been a site you ran?

I can empathise, but I still think it's interesting.

edit: And that's in answer to all of the above "but what if it was you?!" questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

New thread for this, reckon.

Unpossible!

WTB wrote:
It's another fascinating facet of the internet and the way it functions as a community.

This 'community' is unpoliced and run by a gang of childish-minded bullies though. Woot! :roll:

(Yay! It's another 'Gang up on Jahonny day!)

Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
New thread for this, reckon.

Hang on then...

Post subject: Re: Lulsecz
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 

MaliA wrote:
Or, alternatively, accidentally performing a useful public service by pointing out pre-existing security flaws in the companies who hold our data. Remember, if the firms in question took security as seriously as they claim to, lulzsec wouldn't be able to make half as much impact.

And whilst lulzsec's actions don't amount to more than vandalism (unless they start actually releasing stolen credit card numbers -- which I don't believe has happened yet, they are pwning servers but not actually taking any data; which makes them grey hat hackers), then at least they're done with a sense of style. Personality goes a long way I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 

DavPaz wrote:
WTB wrote:
It's another fascinating facet of the internet and the way it functions as a community.

This 'community' is unpoliced and run by a gang of childish-minded bullies though. Woot! :roll:

(Yay! It's another 'Gang up on Jahonny day!)

Exactly! This is precisely why it’s so interesting. It polices itself. That’s incredibly interesting. It’ll be interesting to see how it’ll be dealt with by any authorities, and it’ll be interesting to see what they can get away with – if they can get away with it. It’s 100% fascinating.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said “hilarious” in the first place. I’m not sat here stroking my cock, chuckling at the people who’ve been attacked. I’m sat here stroking my chin, extremely interested to find out what happens next. Entertaining and interesting. That's what I meant by "hilarious".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Or, alternatively, accidentally performing a useful public service by pointing out pre-existing security flaws in the companies who hold our data. Remember, if the firms in question took security as seriously as they claim to, lulzsec wouldn't be able to make half as much impact.

And whilst lulzsec's actions don't amount to more than vandalism (unless they start actually releasing stolen credit card numbers -- which I don't believe has happened yet, they are pwning servers but not actually taking any data; which makes them grey hat hackers), then at least they're done with a sense of style. Personality goes a long way I guess.

You might as well demonstrate flaws in security by battering someone's door in, then trying to sell them a reinforced steel one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:47 
Comfortably Dumb

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Their site has releases of usernames and passwords. Pointing out flaws is all well and good, but why release the data they find to the public?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 

MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:

You might as well demonstrate flaws in security by battering someone's door in, then trying to sell them a reinforced steel one.

Yeah but it's the age-old argument there, innit? Is piracy theft? Is knocking down a website the same as physically smashing a door in? There's no useful analogy for the similarities between electronic data and physical property. The RIAA would like you to think there is, of course.

Unpossible!

The don't have to release the data publicly. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will pay *very* good money for it, without us ever knowing.

Gogmagog

devilman wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Their site has releases of usernames and passwords. Pointing out flaws is all well and good, but why release the data they find to the public?

Quite.

You might as well demonstrate flaws in security by battering someone's door in, then trying to sell them a reinforced steel one, then scan and publish all of my passwords etc that I keep in my little blue book by the computer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:52 

DavPaz wrote:
The don't have to release the data publicly. I'm sure there are a lot of people who will pay *very* good money for it, without us ever knowing.

They're definitely not doing that, DavPaz. Barring their "personality" - for example hacking that security site "for the lulz" and declining the $10,000 reward - actually selling data would take them a little bit further beyond where they currently stand with regards to going to prison.

The fact that they're so open about it all totally precludes any possibility that they're in it for money. The reality is, if a hacker wanted to make money that way, he'd just do it quietly and nobody would ever find out - what these guys are doing is basically highlighting the fact that it could be done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:53 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

They're definitely not doing that, DavPaz. Barring their "personality" - for example hacking that security site "for the lulz" and declining the $10,000 reward - actually selling data would take them a little bit further beyond where they currently stand with regards to going to prison.

Do you view them like latter day Robin Hoods?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:56 

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Do you view them like latter day Robin Hoods?

No. As I said above when you tried to less directly accuse me of enjoying them "sticking it to the man", I just find it very interesting. Get off your high horse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 
Gogmagog

I'm trying to find out why you think it is interesting. Are some businesses more deserving to be attacked than others?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 
Comfortably Dumb

What I do find interesting about all this is the apparent ease at which yesterday's sites were taken down. I would have thought Eve would have been more resilient for a start. Whatever technology they use to carry this stuff out, I wonder which sites would be able to stand up to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 

devilman wrote:
Ah yes. The passwords that fucking well would have been multiply salted if the companies storing them weren't idiots. Which would still leave them vulnerable to dictionary attack, unless users had half a fucking clue and didn't use single words as passwords. I still think lulzsec are grey, rather than black, hats; black hatters wouldn't be telling anyone what they hacked or releasing anything, they'd be rolling the exploits up until they could sell credit cards to the Russians and the Chinese.

I also still think they might end up doing more harm than good by raising awareness of these longstanding problems. Hardly anyone takes security seriously enough, and I've been in meetings where technical architects pushed for more security and were flat-out overruled by finance guys unwilling to pay for it who didn't understand the risks. I've seen companies that barely manage lip service to PCI DSS whilst still merrily processing and storing and reusing your credit card numbers. It's sickening, and if lulzec cast some much-needed light on these dark corners hardly anyone talks about that's not a bad thing. Security is hard, and expensive, but it's not unachievable; the only problem is that the penalties for not doing it are too remote so businesses cut corners.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 

MaliA wrote:
I'm trying to find out why you think it is interesting. Are some businesses more deserving to be attacked than others?

What do you mean more deserving? OH YEAH! STICK IT TO APPLE! I HATE APPLE! THE CORPORATE SHILLS!

I don't think any of them are "deserving" of anything. I'm not the one pointing the gun - I'm simply watching it happen. I couldn't care less who they attack. The reason it's interesting is because these guys are going around brazenly attacking websites and there's seemingly fuck all anybody can do. As someone who has studied the sociology and democracy of the internet, I simply find the whole thing incredibly interesting.

As I've said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the inevitable outcome will be, and what ramifications it'll all have for the future of the internet - both in sociological terms and security-wise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 

devilman wrote:
What I do find interesting about all this is the apparent ease at which yesterday's sites were taken down. I would have thought Eve would have been more resilient for a start. Whatever technology they use to carry this stuff out, I wonder which sites would be able to stand up to it.

Exactly. What are the ramifications of such attacks? What sort of security are we going to see in the future to combat it? Can it even be combated? Are these guys going to become the Al Qaida of the internet? Are they going to be prevented from doing further attacks via electronic means or in real life? Or at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:

What do you mean more deserving? OH YEAH! STICK IT TO APPLE! I HATE APPLE! THE CORPORATE SHILLS!

I don't think any of them are "deserving" of anything. I'm not the one pointing the gun - I'm simply watching it happen. I couldn't care less who they attack. The reason it's interesting is because these guys are going around brazenly attacking websites and there's seemingly fuck all anybody can do. As someone who has studied the sociology and democracy of the internet, I simply find the whole thing incredibly interesting.

As I've said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the inevitable outcome will be, and what ramifications it'll all have for the future of the internet - both in sociological terms and security-wise.

So, having a web presence, in your eyes, is consent to be attacked?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:

:this:

WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Is knocking down a website the same as physically smashing a door in?

For pretty much all intents and purposes, yes. Security is broken, company closes while the security is fixed, company re-opens again.
Doesn't really matter if it's Amazon or a corner shop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:

So, having a web presence, in your eyes, is consent to be attacked?

Seriously, WHAT?! :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:

:this:

WTB wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Is knocking down a website the same as physically smashing a door in?

For pretty much all intents and purposes, yes. Security is broken, company closes while the security is fixed, company re-opens again.
Doesn't really matter if it's Amazon or a corner shop.

You're absolutely right - there's a loss of business in both cases. I just don't think the analogy of "smashing a door in and then selling them a steel one" is good. For a start, I don't see LulzSec offering any sort of "steel door" to these companies for personal profit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 

I think this whole thing also raises an interesting point. I don't think we're ever going to get to where we ought to be with the internet if people continue to insist on analogising the digital world with the real world. It has to be treated differently because it operates differently. New standards need to be created. In my opinion!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Security is hard, and expensive, but it's not unachievable; the only problem is that the penalties for not doing it are too remote so businesses cut corners.

:this: x 1000.

It is the main thing I have to consider every day with my job, it is not cheap, really really not cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:22 

WTB wrote:
You're absolutely right - there's a loss of business in both cases. I just don't think the analogy of "smashing a door in and then selling them a steel one" is good. For a start, I don't see LulzSec offering any sort of "steel door" to these companies for personal profit.

No it is more akin to smashing in the door, ans saying you have done it! They might not make a profit but the damage is still done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 

Meanwhile, with no help at all from hackers, the NHS has lost eight million Londoner's health records. They were stored unencrypted on a laptop that went missing three weeks ago but has only just been noticed. "The records contain no names but do include other identifying information like age, gender, postcode, medical history, hospital visits, HIV status and mental illnesses."

Security. We've heard of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:35 
Gogmagog

WTB wrote:
[

The questions is as it stands, as you've studied the sociology and democracy of the internet, do you think that having a web presence is consent to be attacked in such a fashion?

These people should be shot, there is no, I repeat, no reason not to use encrypted media these days...

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Security is hard, and expensive, but it's not unachievable; the only problem is that the penalties for not doing it are too remote so businesses cut corners.

Mmm. "Good" security is achievable, but not perfect security. You can always break into a system that has human interaction. Finding someone that legitimately has access, sitting him in front of a keyboard and putting a gun to his head, for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 

Yes you can't mitigate everything. But the threat risk should be taken into account when designing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 

MaliA wrote:
WTB wrote:
[

The questions is as it stands. Do you think that having a web presence is consent to be attacked in such a fashion?

The reason I didn't answer this ludicrous question is because my answer is obviously "no". I don't understand where you're coming from and how I might've insinuated such a ridiculous proposition with what I've been saying.

What does consent have to do with it? And why would it matter anyway? I'm saying that I find it interesting. Not that I think anyone deserves it because they've consented.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:41 

Grim... wrote:
Mmm. "Good" security is achievable, but not perfect security. You can always break into a system that has human interaction. Finding someone that legitimately has access, sitting him in front of a keyboard and putting a gun to his head, for instance.
Accepted. But lulzsec aren't doing that -- I really doubt these people are geniuses.

Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next