Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 
Hibernating Druid

As much as I love it, I've decided to cut the cheese (ROFLMAOOMFG) out of my diet as part of my attempt to loose some belly. I'm breathing out as much of the old cheese as I can as well as going on a 2.5 mile walk each lunchtime and doing sit-ups each evening.

But I loves my cheese, and I'd sooner cut something else out of my diet really so any suggestions? I've already stopped (well severely cut down on) drinking pop and I don't have milk or sugar in my brews during the day.

Cheese.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Post subject: Re: Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 
Awesome
Yes

Zardoz wrote:
As much as I love it, I've decided to cut the cheese (ROFLMAOOMFG) out of my diet as part of my attempt to loose some belly. I'm breathing out as much of the old cheese as I can as well as going on a 2.5 mile walk each lunchtime and doing sit-ups each evening.

But I loves my cheese, and I'd sooner cut something else out of my diet really so any suggestions? I've already stopped (well severely cut down on) drinking pop and I don't have milk or sugar in my brews during the day.

Cheese.

Don't eat anything for 'supper'. ie an hour before you go to bed. My Dad starting eating his cheese and crackers a bit earlier and lost a stone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 
Hibernating Druid

Oh I've done that too. Only at the weekends do I ever have food in the evening.

I am loosing a little already actually, I just want to get rid of more with less effort. And more cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:37 
Awesome
Yes

Zardoz wrote:
Oh I've done that too. Only at the weekends do I ever have food in the evening.

That's OK then. Getting fat also only runs on a schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 

Unless you eat insane amounts of cheese, I think the exercise alone will make you lose weight. If you want to lose weight ultra quickly, then exercise and dieting will obviously help, but if you're not bothered about instant results, just do your exercise. Everything in moderation though - cutting cheese out entirely is a bit draconian. Just cut back and enjoy it occasionally. Cheese is too good to quit.

Oh, and after a few months of walking at lunchtime, trying moving onto a bit of a jog. Get your heart racing, speed up your metabolism.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:

Cheese.

Instead of cutting out cheese, try cutting out salad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 
Hibernating Druid

I'm walking quite briskly, and extending my route each time.

I'll eat some cheese then.

Thank you Beteo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 
Hibernating Druid

I just want to look good for when I go on holiday in September. So all the slags gawp at my tenderloins and Mrs Z gets dead sick of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Got cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:56 
Hibernating Druid

I do eat salad, but only to add colour to meat and chips.

Also: I have a bag of crisps everyday but I ain't cutting that out, uh uh, no wayz.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
I do eat salad, but only to add colour to meat and chips.

Well there's your problem then! Another health dilemma solved by Beex.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:06 
Hibernating Druid

If I wank while eating cheese could I remain calorie neutral?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 
Excellent Member

Humous with toast is a pretty excellent snack, and not too unhealthy. Try replacing cheese with that.

Although I went on a special cheese bender last evening with my friend Alice, eating wensleydale and cranberry, bousin, camembert and stilton with wine and black olives. It was awesome.

Otherwise I've heavily cut down on the old cheese and am thus less of a chubster than I once was, when I used to love my cheddar and sun dried tomato baguettes. I'm not as thin as I could be however due to my drinking of the sweet, sweet beer.

It would help if you cut down on the meat, pies and chips though. Salad ain't bad as a main once you get used to it, provided you knock it up a notch. Try anchovy salads, or crumble a little black pudding with diced apple and a little feta on a bed of italian salad. Yummers.

I don't eat chips any more. I managed to cut them out of my diet completely. My only problem is that when it comes to healthy foods I eat entirely too large a portion, and thus the benefits are pretty negligble weight wise.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:33 

Zardoz wrote:
I've decided to cut the cheese (ROFLMAOOMFG) out of my diet...

Hippy wanker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 

NervousPete wrote:
It would help if you cut down on the meat, pies and chips though. Salad ain't bad as a main once you get used to it, provided you knock it up a notch. Try anchovy salads, or crumble a little black pudding with diced apple and a little feta on a bed of italian salad. Yummers.
Objection.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
If I wank while eating cheese could I remain calorie neutral?

Don't try and pretend you don't already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 
Hibernating Druid

pupil wrote:
Hippy wanker.

Kalmar, have you been talking?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 
Hibernating Druid

NervousPete wrote:
It would help if you cut down on the meat, pies and chips though

Objection.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Unless you eat insane amounts of cheese, I think the exercise alone will make you lose weight.

Exercise is an extremely inefficient way of losing weight, out of the 2000 calories a male should be eating on a daily basis on a weight controlling diet, an hours moderate to hard exercise every day will expend about 300-400 calories.

Diet is the the best way to lose weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:20 
Excellent Member

apparently there are different types of people chemistries
some people loose most weight when they cut out fat
some people loose most weight when they cut out carbs
I'm def one of the latter so for me a no/low carbs diet works best, ie no sugar - bread - patatoes - rice etc.
unfortunately at the moment I'm not willing to do that...
I'll go have some cheese though

good luck :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

miki wrote:
apparently there are different types of people chemistries
some people loose most weight when they cut out fat
some people loose most weight when they cut out carbs

Nah, it's just that some people are betting at sticking to a specific type of diet, and not lying to themselves and others about what they eat ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:31 
Excellent Member

but I saw there people on tv who were having blood tests done to determine their type
(I'm pretty gullable...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:18 

Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:
Unless you eat insane amounts of cheese, I think the exercise alone will make you lose weight.

Exercise is an extremely inefficient way of losing weight, out of the 2000 calories a male should be eating on a daily basis on a weight controlling diet, an hours moderate to hard exercise every day will expend about 300-400 calories.

Diet is the the best way to lose weight.

That's not strictly true. I'm not denying that dieting is a good way to lose weight, but going from no exercise to walking miles on your lunch hour whilst not changing anything else about your lifestyle will make you lose weight, simple as that. Also, a recent study showed that whilst you do lose X calories during the actual exercise, you actually lose further calories (in fact, even more than you did during the exercise) over the course of the next 24 hours as a result of having your heart rate and metabolic rate increased. It was on the BBC a few months back. Experiments and everything. So yeah, you lose 300 calories going for a run, but then you lose a further 400* or so over the next 24 hours. Scientific fact. I wish I had a link to the video to prove it.

But anyway, exercise is definitely not "extremely inefficient". That's a myth purveyed by people who've looked at the data - someone burning 400 calories going for a run - and saying "hey - you can lose more calories than that by simply dieting!" as opposed to doing any science to work out if it's actually true.

*That's on top of the calories you'll burn anyway just by existing, smart arses.

edit: it's called EPOC or Excess post-exercise oxygen consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_pos ... onsumption

Quote:
EPOC is accompanied by an elevated consumption of fuel. In response to exercise, fat stores are broken down and free fatty acids (FFA) are released into the blood. In recovery, the direct oxidation of free fatty acids as fuel and the energy consuming re-conversion of FFA's back into fat stores both take place.[2][3][4]

That's the key bit of information ^

On this documentary I watched, they found that the people they tested were, as I said above, burning x during the actual exercise and then pretty much 1.5-2x during the subsequent 24 hours. So basically, the "you only burn 300 calories going for a run" argument is false. I mean, it's correct in that you burn that amount on the actual run, but as a result of that run you actually burn nearly double that amount afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:24 
Sitting balls-back folder

Much more efficient to simply not ingest 300 (700) calories in the first place, though.

But less cheesy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:25 

But also much more dull and boring. Plus we're forgetting the many positives of exercise's impact on the body as opposed to simply sitting there and not eating much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:27 
Isn't that lovely?

according to my pedometer 1km walking = approx 70calories burnt (actual figures are 4.91Km = 356.56 and 347.30km = 25215.41)

Which gives about 800 calories for the day when I've walked about 11Km

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:33 

WTB wrote:
But also much more dull and boring.
Like I said, less cheesy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
But also much more dull and boring. Plus we're forgetting the many positives of exercise's impact on the body as opposed to simply sitting there and not eating much.

Oh for sure, exercise is needed to have a fit and healthy lifecycle.

However if you just want to lose weight, it is much easier and quicker to not eat the mars bar, than it is to eat it and burn it off. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:35 

NB: I may be misremembering the exact figures, but you definitely burn a significant number of calories for at least 24 hours after the initial exercise. It might not be the same number of calories again, but it's significant. The documentary was on a while back. :p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
NB: I may be misremembering the exact figures, but you definitely burn a significant number of calories for at least 24 hours after the initial exercise. It might not be the same number of calories again, but it's significant. The documentary was on a while back. :p

I can find out, I live with a Dietician after all :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:40 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

WTB wrote:

:this:

And exercise's benefits aren't just physical — it can have a tremendous effect on your mental well-being and happiness. I certainly feel an awful lot better about myself when I've been for a good run, cycle, or just simply lifted a few weights for 15 minutes.

Also, I'm petrified of growing older and having my body crumble around me. Keeping fit will hopefully do something to combat that somewhat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:41 

Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

Then you're biased to dieting! Simply not eating as many calories is absolutely not a good way to go about life. You need exercise.

Also, and forgive me - I'm not trying to be rude - but what does a dietician know about exercise? Considering the fact you've already said exercise is "extremely inefficient" for losing weight, which just isn't right, I'm a bit sceptical. Again, not trying to be rude or anything. From your post, it's almost as if you're suggesting that Zardoz should just diet and forget exercise. The fact is, it's a bit of both. If you just diet and sit there, you're going to waste away and be tired all of the time. If you exercise, you can eat more and still lose weight, and not feel like you've been awake for a week all of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

Then you're biased to dieting! Simply not eating as many calories is absolutely not a good way to go about life. You need exercise.

Umm... I'm not sure what you think a Dietician does exactly, but it certainly isn't just about food. Kate has made dietary plans for olympic athletes for example, so i'm pretty sure she has a good idea about exercise and it's importance ;)

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just pointing out that eating what you want and burning it off is incredibly difficult, as opposed to not eating it in the first place. It is perfectly possible to take in, in less than 30 seconds, more calories than you would be able to burn off in 3 hours of hard exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:54 

Well obviously I don't know what a dietician does! Anyway, I think I misinterpreted what you were getting at - I thought you were saying exercise was bollocks. Never mind - onwards!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

WTB wrote:
Well obviously I don't know what a dietician does! Anyway, I think I misinterpreted what you were getting at - I thought you were saying exercise was bollocks. Never mind - onwards!

Indeed, exercise is certainly not bollocks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:56 
Awesome
Yes

Exercise IS bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 13:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

... but exercise is an incredibly inefficient way of losing weight, by virtue of the fact that the body is incredibly efficient in it's use of fuel! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:11 

Mr Russell wrote:
Exercise your bollocks.
Best aerobic exercise right there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

... but exercise is an incredibly inefficient way of losing weight, by virtue of the fact that the body is incredibly efficient in it's use of fuel! :D

You have to run two miles (ish) to burn off one KitKat chunky with Caramel, which takes about 30 seconds to eat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:27 
Hibernating Druid

Well today I didn't go for my walk, I wen t with my friend to Chesters Grill for a massive burger, grilled chicken pieces and chips. :DD

Fucking lovely. :metul:

I did however only eat fruit for brekky as I knew I'd be going out. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:29 

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
WTB wrote:

You have to run two miles (ish) to burn off one KitKat chunky with Caramel, which takes about 30 seconds to eat.

Well yeah, apart from everything we discussed on the page before this one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:31 

Pupil's pro fitness tip: stop eating shite, get off yer fat ass and do some exercise!

Not rocket science.

Also, being healthy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being skinny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:46 
Hibernating Druid

I'm trying to do good, our kid. Honest!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Just eat the fucking cheese, man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:51 

Wanking harder and for longer will burn off more calories.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:52 
Hibernating Druid

Craster wrote:
Just eat the fucking cheese, man.

NO.

Wash it first.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:53 
Noob as of 6/8/10

pupil wrote:

... and the skin scales off your tinkle. :'(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 14:58 

Warhead wrote:
pupil wrote:

... and the skin off your tinkle. :'(

I think Zardoz's is more scaly, anyway. It can take the abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 15:00 
Noob as of 6/8/10

pupil wrote:
Warhead wrote:
pupil wrote:

... and the skin scales off your tinkle. :'(

I think Zardoz's is more scaly, anyway. It can take the abuse.

Noted and corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 15:05 
Hibernating Druid

It's practically calcified.

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next