Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoolander
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 18:50 
PC Gamer

CUS wrote:
That's it. Nothing about being depressing or any of these tedious and tiresome attempts to paint me as something I'm not that you enjoy so much.

Is this a hilariously subtle joke that I'm not sufficiently "in" to get?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 19:46 
lazy eye patch

*looks*

I dunno, who are you again? ;)

or

Yes, you have not yet infiltrated the Inner Clique. Tuesday. Whelks. Etc.

or

Eh? Er, no. Eh? I don't believe my comment was intended your way...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 0:12 
Sleepyhead

CUS wrote:
I haven't yammered once.

Debatable.

Quote:
I've concisely used facts to explain my point.

False. Demonstrably false.

Quote:
I think Dodgeball is an absolute piece of shit movie, for complete morons.

No shit, sherlock. I don't think I've ever seen someone as patronising, which is amusing given the choice of your other movies as paragons of intelligent comedy. Nice work there. LOLZ.

Quote:
I think the ending is diabolical - learning that the ending was to be totally different, I wonder if it maybe it might have been better for that.

Why is the ending diabolical? You have yet to mention that? Yes, it's a 'deus ex machina', but that is not unusual for this brand of comedy, nor unexpected. It fits with the theme of the movie and was accepted by audiences worldwide. Please explain to me why a feelgood comedy should not have a feelgood ending! Please do. It's a point you have spectacularly failed to address thus far!

Quote:
Quote:
The more downbeat/quirky/depressing/realistic/offbeat type comedies don't do as well.

Indeed, after the massive critical and commercial flops of Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State, Knocked Up et al. it's taken substantial hits like Norbit, The Heartbreak Kid and Drillbit Taylor to restore some degree of commercial success with their easy-going light-hearted approach.

All figures in US dollars, as obtained from worldwideboxoffice.com

Gross for Dodgeball - 152.8m
Gross for Wedding Crashers - 213m
Gross for 50 First Dates - 196.5m
Gross for Big Daddy - 233.6m
Gross for There's Something About Mary - 360.1m

Gross for Napoleon Dynamite - 46.1m
Gross for Garden State - 35.8m

Hell, even...

Gross for The Heartbreak Kid - 108.8
Gross for Norbit - 144.7m

So even 2/3 of the films you said were box office flops were bigger hits than the ones you proclaimed as successes! Oops!

Not to mention that 'Knocked Up' clearly falls into the Heavily Marketed Unrealistic Feelgood Movies category, and the one out of the three movies you said did badly did almost as well as the two you upheld as successes.

Wow, you blew on that point, bigtime. Seriously... did you just blindly throw darts at a board with movie names on it? If not, you should have done, you might have come up with a more coherent argument.

Quote:
Quote:
With 'Dodgeball' the studio wanted something that would sell to the kind of person that likes these movies. they played the demographics and did well by it. You're more than welcome to think that this invalidates it as a work of art, but the odds are massively stacked in their favour that more people would enjoy the ending they went with.

It heartens me to see you (and others here) actively encouraging studios to cynically mass-produce comedy movie product, in pursuit of big bucks, rather than attempting to make anything worthwhile. Truly, we are all Being Conservative With Each Other.

Oh noes! Of course, all the movies you like weren't subject to test audiences and weren't mass produced comedy products. Truly, '40 Year Old Virgin', 'Knocked Up', Harold & Kumar', etc are all bastions of independent cinema, breaking new ground and forging themselves a brand new frontier of film-making!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Seriously, in the words of a horrific bigot, you couldn't make this up.

Quote:
Grim... wrote:
@CUS: You're confusing 'facts' with 'the opinions of myself and two people involved with the film'. It's not that "you're not allowed to use them", it's that they're flawed.

No, I am regarding facts, your opinions mean as little to me as mine does to thee. You've not paid attention somewhere.

Your facts were... THE OPINIONS OF SOME PEOPLE!

Now, please go and examine the facts above.

Cheers.

Or will this all be disregarded and selectively quoted as you normally do, before ignoring the facts posted to concentrate on sitting stop a high horse?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 
lazy eye patch

Curiosity wrote:
No shit, sherlock. I don't think I've ever seen someone as patronising, which is amusing given the choice of your other movies as paragons of intelligent comedy. Nice work there. LOLZ.

I haven't done any such thing. I have in fact listed various other 'dumb comedies' that are somewhat similar to Dodgeball, but which aren't so awful. Y'know, as a demonstration that "Look, I'm not saying 'this kind of thing is shit', but in the case of Dodgeball, it is'". But please, continue to do what you always do, which is to infer words into my mouth, to say "just because you think 'meh meh meh meh meh bananas', doesn;'t mean that..." and so forth. You unpleasant little man.

Quote:
Please explain to me why a feelgood comedy should not have a feelgood ending! Please do. It's a point you have spectacularly failed to address thus far!

Again, I have not said that 'a feelgoood comedy should not have a feelgood comedy ending'. Again, you continue to just make shit up. I simply said that I don't like Dodgeball, thought that the end was bad - specifically quite insulting in a way, but I fear to give you a critical analysis of the scene in my opinion, because you'll probably try and use that as evidence that I engineered the Holocaust, at this rate.

Quote:
So even 2/3 of the films you said were box office flops were bigger hits than the ones you proclaimed as successes! Oops!

I never mentioned box office flops. I said that they were commercial and critical successes. Which they were. I will definitely admit to being surprised by the box office receipts for Norbit though - I was under the impression that it had stiffed commercially too.

Now then. I like also that you have listed the receipts for the like of There's Something About Mary. Clearly, to you, this has become 'CUS THE BIG EVIL DEPRESSING TWAT HATES HAPPY POPULAR MOVIES WITH FEELGOOD ENDINGS AND DOESN'T LIKE ANY OF THEM AND THINKS THEY ARE ALL UNSUCCESSFUL SHIT BECAUSE HE ONLY LIKES MOVIES ABOUT THE STALINIST PURGES OR SOMETHING'. Hilarious. You really are a red-faced little muppet.

Quote:
Not to mention that 'Knocked Up' clearly falls into the Heavily Marketed Unrealistic Feelgood Movies category, and the one out of the three movies you said did badly did almost as well as the two you upheld as successes.

Curiosity, you really are a deeply unpleasant little man indeed. You have some kind of idea that I have a grudge against happy underdog movies or something. I do not. I specifically said before in fact that I rather enjoyed last year's Hot Rod - and then said that it even has the same basic plot as Dodgeball, and is very much the same kind of movie. Except, it's got funny jokes in it.

It is extremely typical of you that I would say "I like happy movies, but Dodgeball is shit", in so many words, only for you to continue to make shit up - referring in previous posts to how I would only be happy with a depressing, cynical ending. Clearly, you're letting your own twatty opinions of me blind you here. I have never said anything like that. In fact, I've listed films that are proof of this. But to you, given that I 'hate happy films and want depressing endings', this is seen as an inconsistency. An inconsistency borne by your own falsehoods. You idiot. Incidentally, I know you didn't use the specific quote above. This isn't a matter of pedantry or reading between the lines. You are really just lying about me, and I find that quite reprehensible.

Quote:
Oh noes! Of course, all the movies you like weren't subject to test audiences and weren't mass produced comedy products. Truly, '40 Year Old Virgin', 'Knocked Up', Harold & Kumar', etc are all bastions of independent cinema, breaking new ground and forging themselves a brand new frontier of film-making!

*looks* See, you're still doing it. You're wildly misreading what I'm saying, and using it as 'proof' of something I haven't even said. You had said that you approved of The Movie Studios making changes if it better suited mass commercial gain. Which I found amusing in a depressing way. You have somehow turned this around into "THE MOVIES THAT YOU LIKE ARE SHIT. CUS APPROVED MOVIES ARE CLEVER AND PRODUCED ONLY BY COOL INDIE STUDIOS."

I never said any such thing.

Quote:
Seriously, in the words of a horrific bigot, you couldn't make this up.

And yet, you are.

Quote:
Your facts were... THE OPINIONS OF SOME PEOPLE!

Mm. My point is that you, as a snooty little cunt, don't know enough about the making of the movie Dodgeball to be qualified to speak on its making, its ending. However, the people who worked on it were displeased. This, to you, is not a fact? It is not a fact that a person had an opinion? It is. Their opinion is not fact, but that they held it, is. So. The fact is: the makers of Dodgeball were appalled by the changes forced upon them by their studio.

But, you know better, because you like it and you like it and shut up shut up shut up. Also, it did well at the box office, which you see as some kind of QED that the new ending must be better - this doesn't make logical sense, but frankly, at this point I'm amazed you are able to tie your own shoelaces properly, so won't try and explain it to you.

Quote:
[Or will this all be disregarded and selectively quoted as you normally do, before ignoring the facts posted to concentrate on sitting stop a high horse?

Curiosity, given how much I post, it's obvious that I don't disregard things when I could reply to them evilly, grrr, evil CUS is in town!

I'm sitting on no kind of high horse. I have said that I don't like Dodgeball, specifically for the ending. However, I look forward to the next Ben Stiller movie, 'Tropic Thunder' (which I said straight away, knowing that there would probably be some cretin going 'Mehhhhh you don't like what I like, so therefore you must be pretentious because everyone likes what I like mehhhhhhhhh', and wanted to try and avoid precisely this kind of irrelevant would-be lynching), enjoyed the 'Meet The...' movies, and why in fact, there are plenty of good 'stupid comedies' that I've liked in recent years. Such as The 40 Year Old Virgin, Harold & Kumar etc.

Nonetheless, please continue to distort facts to meet your own tired and petty goals, you spack-handed twat.

Now, I know that it's not because you are either a gibbering moron, or... no, I think you must just be a gibbering moron, given the spectacular way with which you continue to distort what I've said, or to simply say "You said this and then you said that!'... about things which I have never ever said. Accusing me of things which I've already explained to not be the case - blinded by facts and what has been said and done, ignoring them all in pursuit of giving me a good kicking LOLZORS. You nasty little man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 
Legendary Boogeyman

And so to summarise, I like Zoolander, but it's not a film I'd want to watch more than say, once every 5 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 
baron of techno

I've ordered it from Sofa Cinema just to see what all the fuss is about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:43 
lazy eye patch

In my opinion it peaks too early with the scene at the petrol station, and I found the rest of the movie a disappointment but nonetheless it does contain amusement in there certainly, just arguably badly paced given that so early on it seems to reach a premature peak, however like the majority of the Ben Stiller produced comedies it does definitely have its merits. < My opinion of Zoolander.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS, Curiosity - stop being dicks.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

I now find myself totally unable to engage in internet arguments that contain lots of quotes and point-by-point rebuttals. I just can't be arsed to read it even if the comments are directed at me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 
lazy eye patch

Grim... wrote:
Thank you.

I haven't been a dick at all, unlike some. Stop blaming me for things I haven't done. Tch, it's alright for some, here at World Of Bezzies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:29 
Hibernating Druid

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I now find myself totally unable to engage in internet arguments that contain lots of quotes and point-by-point rebuttals. I just can't be arsed to read it even if the comments are directed at me.

Whatever, Dick.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Thank you.

I haven't been a dick at all, unlike some. Stop blaming me for things I haven't done. Tch, it's alright for some, here at World Of Bezzies.

CUS wrote:
You unpleasant little man.

You really are a red-faced little muppet.

I'm amazed you are able to tie your own shoelaces properly, so won't try and explain it to you.

you spack-handed twat.

You nasty little man.

All from one post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 
lazy eye patch

"That bloke just blatantly lied about me and said horrible things! Shall I call him some names?"
"Oh, you DICK."
"What?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
"That bloke just blatantly lied about me and said horrible things! Shall I call him some names?"
"Oh, you DICK."
"What?"

That's why you were both told to stop it.
It'd be really nice if you would.

We can debate stuff without calling each other names, I'm pretty sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:35 
lazy eye patch

It's not in my power to do so. Curiosity raised the matter this morning to be an insulting prick, and now it's his 'turn' to reply. Go take up the matter with him.

Sorry Grim... but I've had entirely enough of unpleasant people on forums making shit up about me and trying to pass it off as fact, whether forumites or forum owners.

Apparently we can't debate stuff without name calling. I tried that already, see? That's what this is about.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
It's not in my power to do so.

That's fucking ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:37 
lazy eye patch

Not at all. I have a right to reply to Curiosity's flat-out lying about me. He shouldn't have raised the topic again, as an excuse to simply spread falsehoods and say deeply unpleasant things that he passes off as my words. Go take it up with him.

In any case, I expect you'll ban me or something shortly for daring to try and defend myself. World of Drinking Chums has a nice ring to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
Go take it up with him.

I FUCKING HAVE! I DID THAT FIRST!
You don't see him posting in here moaning, do you?

lazy eye patch

Well, no, he isn't logged in currently and is thus unaware. Also - I'm not moaning, simply mildly pointing out that defending myself against libel (or is it slander? I forget which) isn't dickish. If you like, I can edit my post so that me calling him an unpleasant little man (which is my opinion, and really quite a mild reply) is censored out?

Grim... wrote:
CUS wrote:
"Oh, you DICK."
"What?"

That's why you were both told to stop it.
It'd be really nice if you would.

We can debate stuff without calling each other names, I'm pretty sure.

You did just call both him and curiosity Dicks though, Grim... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
You did just call both him and curiosity Dicks though, Grim... ;)

I think it's allowed if it's a provable fact :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:44 
lazy eye patch

whatever, dick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 
baron of techno

See?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:52 
lazy eye patch

Pah! You can prove anything with facts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:03 
UltraMod

Oh, I hadn't seen this thread before. CUS is back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:10 
lazy eye patch

Just fuck off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:19 
UltraMod

CUS wrote:
Just fuck off.

I'd like to keep this for posterity, if I may? I know you have a habit of changing your posts later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:20 
lazy eye patch

What?

Just fuck off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:34 
UltraMod

Yep, time to 'ignore' once more. I knew it wouldn't last.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:37 
lazy eye patch

???

Myoptika, why are you being such a dick? Is it because you are in Manchester by yourself and nobody wants to go out for a drink with you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 22:43 
Best
Board Mother

I'm locking this thread until the morning and you two can both cool down, if you don't like it you can PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:50 
Excellent Member

Zoolander is fucking brilliant, obviously.

"At one stage, Farrell, playing undercover narcotics agent Sonny Crockett, actually asks Gong Li's beautiful Chinese-Cuban drug dealer to take the wheel of his supersonically fast speedboat while he removes his stylish jacket. It's an improvised move that is sexy, confident, intimate. But not funny. Like everything else in the picture, it has a muscular, unremitting seriousness."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 23:14 
baron of techno

It arrived. I watched it.

I shall report tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 0:15 

Hehe, I look forward to your analysis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12 
baron of techno

"62%"

Not as stupid as I expected. The basic idea was pretty clever and well executed.
On the other hand, it just wasn't all that funny. There were a few laugh-out-loud bits, but it's a comedy movie so will inevitably be compared to something like Austin Powers, and it's really not in that league.
The acting was reasonable, even Owen Wilson wasn't too bad.
Also, "Eugooglizing"? I repeatedly just didn't get that joke, until now. And it's not funny anyway. Trying too hard I thought. And David Bowie needs an caption when he appears? :?

I couldn't watch it again TBH.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 

Your analysis is wrong.

Actually, it is completely correct. But wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:17 
baron of techno

The David Duchovny bit was good though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:22 

That's only because he is shmexy (even when he is dressed like a tramp)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 

The best bit of Zoolander IMO is in the trailer:

Quote:
Matilda: I became... Hansel: What? Matilda: Bulimic. Derek Zoolander: You can read minds?

I think Stiller really sells that line. He's impressively earnest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:33 
PC Gamer

richardgaywood wrote:

See also:

"What is this? A school for ants?"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:36 
That Rev Chap

richardgaywood wrote:
The best bit of Zoolander IMO is in the trailer:

Quote:
Matilda: I became... Hansel: What? Matilda: Bulimic. Derek Zoolander: You can read minds?

Except not, because the trailer cuts out the pauses and ruins the timing of the joke. I saw the trailer, thought it was a rubbish joke, then laughed out loud when I saw the same joke in the movie.

TRUTH.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:43 

The Rev Owen wrote:
Except not, because the trailer cuts out the pauses and ruins the timing of the joke. I saw the trailer, thought it was a rubbish joke, then laughed out loud when I saw the same joke in the movie.
Oh yeah, I forgot that. You are correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 
Excellent Member

I went to my local video store in Bradford once and asked if they had Zoolander and the woman asked her husband in the back if they had it in. He said they had watched it and turned it down because it wasn't very good. That didn't stop them from stocking their shelves with a load of unwatcheable shit, of course.

God, how can you not like Zoolander? The couple in the shop had an excuse because they were uneducated proles from a backwater, but if anyone of a more privileges background said they didn't like Zoolander I'd think there was something seriously wrong with their brain. The trash talk between Derek and Hansel alone is better than most full length films. "You think you're too cool for school, but I've got a newsflash for you Walter Kronkite... you aren't!"

"At one stage, Farrell, playing undercover narcotics agent Sonny Crockett, actually asks Gong Li's beautiful Chinese-Cuban drug dealer to take the wheel of his supersonically fast speedboat while he removes his stylish jacket. It's an improvised move that is sexy, confident, intimate. But not funny. Like everything else in the picture, it has a muscular, unremitting seriousness."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:55 

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Do what?!

Hellooooooo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:58 
making out to faces of death

Mrawr. :hat:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:58 

Haha, see!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:10 
Rude Belittler

I maintain that Dodgeball is much funnier than Zoolander.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:12 
Hibernating Druid

Nah.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:22 

nope.

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next