Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do we need to worry about a vast influx of new members ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Catching up with podcasts and stuff from PAX East and one specifically caught my 'ear'

Stephen Toulouse (Stepto.com) is the head of enforcement for the Xbox live had a talk about the Xbox services , moderation , etc etc

During the talk he mentioned that its not enough for people to follow Weaton's law (dont be a d*ck) , but that they should really try to "Be Excellent to each other" instead

Quote:
the most important part of my speech tonight, hit this link, then skip to 34:30 on the streaming link : http://majornelson.com/default.aspx

Quote:
I confess, when I suggested we be excellent to each other and the crowd erupted in applause. I kind of freaked out and was proud.

*edit* he has updated the post now on his blog http://www.stepto.com

Quote:
#

We've had a good time talking humorously about the ins and outs of enforcement, I wanted to finish off talking about something that I talked a little bit about last year. I was playing BulletStorm the other day, any BulletStorm fans here? (Some shouts) How many of you play Anarchy, online? [Fewer Shouts] Ok then one or two. Anarchy is really tough, it's a multiplayer mode to the game. And what is involved in that is actually working together as a team. It's very much like Horde mode or Firefight in other games where basically players have to defeat incoming waves of enemies. The thing that makes BulletStorm more interesting is that it requires the team to work together on specific challenges or you don't pass the level. You can kill all the enemies on the level and you will not progress because you have to work together as a team on the team challenges.

So I started playing the game and I was completely new, and there were other new people but there was one guy who was awesome. I mean, he was killer. And he was teaching us how to actually play as a team. He would help set up the team environment that was required for us to score the additional amount of points that we need. And as I played with this guy, I felt like I was really having a blast not just because I felt that BulletStorm was a fun game, but because here was this person who was taking the time to help all of us to become better so that we could succeed and progress.

I last year about sportsmanship. I spoke about last year about how it is upon us as gamers to spread that word about sportsmanship. And fun. And fair play. And I talked a little bit about obeying Wheaton's law, which I think we all should do. And I thought, as I was playing this guy, about when I was younger, and played in the world of arcades, and a park near my home. Where you often times had that same camaraderie where someone next to you might be cheering you on to get to the next level of a video game even if they had the next quarter, on top of the arcade machine that showed everyone they were going to have the next game. They were excited about that.

And I wonder if it isn't time as well, for us as enforcers of course are here to help protect. But, as I think we all got out of the keynote today that we are all contagious vectors of AWESOME (for those of you who might have saw that), I wonder if it's not time to go a little bit beyond Wil's suggestion and not just not be a dick or discourage dick behavior, but maybe be excellent to each other.

[LAUGHTER, THEN LOUD APPLAUSE]

That BulletStorm guy? He was being excellent to everyone...

Post subject: Re: Do we need to worry about a vast influx of new members ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:39 
SavyGamer

Now I wish I didn't miss PAX this year.

It might be coming to the UK at some point.

Post subject: Re: Do we need to worry about a vast influx of new members ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 
Excellent Member

Perhaps you should worry when the new members include yours truly.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]