Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Gory horror films - need some recommendations
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:38 
SavyGamer

Heh, I was planning on making the exact opposite thread of this. Cos I am a wuss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 20:34 
Excellent Member

A wee bump for this thread - have there been any good, really gory horror films released on DVD in the past few months (or due out by Xmas)?

Must be of recent films, ie released this year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 
Excellent Member

Saw VI is okay (for a Saw film).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 
Time Out for Fun

There's a french film I heard about the other day called the horde. Not sure if its gory but the plot synopsis was pretty much zombies v gangsters v cops. Which has to be a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 
Time Out for Fun

There's a french film I heard about the other day called the horde. Not sure if its gory but the plot synopsis was pretty much zombies v gangsters v cops. Which has to be a winner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 
Worst

Did you hear about the French film called The Horde? Might be worth checking out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 13:33 
Excellent Member

Thanks. Any more? :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 13:47 
Time Out for Fun

throughsilver wrote:
Did you hear about the French film called The Horde? Might be worth checking out.

good shout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 17:50 
Hello Hello Hello

Frontiers and Martyrs are both pretty fucking gruesome.

Frontiers is a kind of 'French Saw' if you will (and far better than any of the Saw films, for that matter).

Martyrs is a film of two halves, the first half is pretty much full-on shocking horror, the second half disappears off into some incredibly dark places. (Along with full-on shocking horror that fucks with your mind too.)

As for Saw itself, I don't think any of them are actually bad.

Saw 1 - Fresh and interesting, made on the cheap, acting a bit hysterical at times, a good watch.

Saw 2 - Ditches plot and characters somewhat, in favour of lots of gore, but hey, it's a good gore film!

Saw 3 - Ratchets up the gore, arguably a shade more plot to it, Jigsaw is always very good, and he dies - ZOMG!

Saw 4 - But he's not dead, he's still killing people from beyond the grave. This is possibly my favourite in the series, lots of good back story.

Saw 5 - OK, one of the series is actually bad.

Saw 6 - It's stretching credibility a bit now to say the least, but somehow 'Been dead for a millenia and still killing like a motherfucker' Jigsaw is still on the rampage. I liked this one too, and it even tries a bit of social commentary!

Saw 3D - I don't like 3D so I'm boycotting this until the DVD comes out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 17:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh yes if you've not seen Cronenberg's The Fly recently, that's still a seriously good watch.

It's 23 years old now but it's effectively timeless since most of it is filmed inside a generic warehouse, (and it has one of those amazing 80s computers that you can ask any question of and it understands perfectly), and not exactly a gorefest - but the tension and horror towards the end are pretty much unparalleled.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 19:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Decent article about A Serbian Film here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 37781.html

Has anyone else seen it? I've watched it twice and I think that's enough in all honesty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 

I'm intrigued, certainly, but the things I've read about it make me think I'd probably find it a bit too disturbing for my tastes. It's been mentioned a few times that it may be a tougher watch for those with families and it's hardly a secret that I have an 18-month old daughter and I genuinely now do find anything involving children to be a bit much for me these days, even though I do know it's 'just a film'.

Heh, that bit with the pregnant woman in AvP2 almost had me reaching for the remote to turn it off, and I was never like that before becoming a dad!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Zio wrote:
I'm intrigued, certainly, but the things I've read about it make me think I'd probably find it a bit too disturbing for my tastes. It's been mentioned a few times that it may be a tougher watch for those with families and it's hardly a secret that I have an 18-month old daughter and I genuinely now do find anything involving children to be a bit much for me these days, even though I do know it's 'just a film'.

Heh, that bit with the pregnant woman in AvP2 almost had me reaching for the remote to turn it off, and I was never like that before becoming a dad!

A Serbian Film does very much fit into the 'now I can't unsee it' category, and I'd never recommend it as a 'good watch' if you will, but look past the controversy and hype, and watch the film on its own merits, and I think it does stand up as an extremely powerful piece of work, and therefore worthy of watching at least once.

I was surprised at how good a film it actually was, having been led to expect a total gross-out cheap shockathon from the press around it.

The stuff with children in there is harsh and upsetting, as a father myself I did find some of it pretty tough going, but all the more affecting because of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:22 
Excellent Painter

I hear that The Passion has finally had a DVD release in this country. Might be more art house that all out gore fest as it did win the Palme D'or 25 years ago before being banned. But it's supposed to be deeply weird and very disturbing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 23:36 
Hello Hello Hello

The Guardian doesn't like it - http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... -political

Neither does Mark Kermode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiwki7-dSE

But I think they (and a lot of the 'quality' opinion) are wrong on this film.

The cuts list alone is pretty nauseous in many ways:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest.ht ... _List_3160

But the list of cuts, like the Wiki page, does this film a disservice IMO.

I still say it's worth seeking out the uncut version, (like with the R rated cut version of Natural Born Killers, the cuts make the film 'more acceptable' and less forceful), and the director's own statement actually explains it better than I can.

http://www.aserbianfilm.co.uk/statement.html

It's a good film. It's fucking horrible, but I think it's worth watching once - I still think it could be called 'A Human Film' and be as powerful as it is, if not more so.

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2