Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 Post subject: Medal of Honor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 

The 360 beta is now up and running, so if you pre-ordered and got a key (like me), you can now download the beta client on your 360. I'm doing it now.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1268006.page

It's apparently Bad Company 2 multiplayer handled by DICE and running on the FrostBite engine, and a singleplayer campaign in the Medal of Honor vein. Should be good, if a little surplus to requirements.

Post subject: Re: Medal of Honor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:40 

Immediate first impressions:

It's Modern Warfare in the Bad Company 2 engine. This is good, I suppose. Seems pretty well put together, very, VERY similar to Bad Company 2's multiplayer. It's incredibly ugly, though. Loads of jagged aliasing and a bit of an unpolished feel. Framerate seems a little dodgy and there are glitches aplenty. Getting stuck on scenery is common, even after five minutes of play. I'm hoping this is a "proper" beta of an unfinished game, because frankly if it ships like this, people are going to be disappointed. It looks real ugly at the moment. Presumably DICE are testing networking/performance kinda stuff with the beta and are yet to polish it up. Bad Company 2 looks next gen by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I really can't see this filling a gap in the market.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:01 

Yeah I'm thinking the same. Unless the campaign is acebest, it's going to bomb. Also, it uses the Frost Bite engine but they've turned the destruction off in order to distinguish it a bit from Bad Company 2. It just seems like a shoddy cash-in attempt on the whole "Modern Warfare" thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:26 
Bad Girl

I played the PS3 beta sometime ago and thought it was terrible: The spongy controls, and reactions like you're running and aiming through treacle. But that's by the by, cause I can't help feel that some of it's in bad taste either. I had mixed feelings playing as the taliban when I threw down an IED only to detonate it from a mobile phone. I've a friend serving in Afghan at the moment and can't help thinking that this is a real life situation that he might be going through on a daily basis.

With the tempers about Iraq and Afghanistan still frayed and news of another solider killed in road side bombs and fighting almost weekly, I'm just not sure that some gamers are mature enough to deal with this sort of material in a respectful way.

Mind you, I'll just mute them anyway... ho-hum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:41 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Wow, this sounds ... tasteful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:43 

Yeah there is that aspect as well. A videogame dealing with an actual current, non-fictional conflict. Pretty stupid stuff, really. Why don't they just stick to WWII? It's Medal of Honor ferchrissakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Is it any different from all the games where you shoot hordes of Afghans?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:47 

Na that's alright. Fucking Afghans.

Seriously, though, which games are these? Modern Warfare is some sort of "fictional" terroristy type organisation isn't it? And it at least has the sensibility to be set in the near future with a completely made-up storyline, even if it does allude to the conflict in question.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well, perhaps - but however you rationalise it you're still playing the role of someone shooting people because they're the enemy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:58 

Oh right, well, er... Fuck off! What's with all of the devil's advocate arguments for the sake of arguing?! ARHG!H!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 13:59 

And where's Zardoz? I miss him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 14:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Oh right, well, er... Fuck off! What's with all of the devil's advocate arguments for the sake of arguing?! ARHG!H!

I'm just trying to work out whether people think it's a bad thing because it's fairly realistic, or it's a bad thing because it's fairly realistic and you're playing as 'the bad guys'.

It's not like this is the same thing as the 'real execution footage' in CoD5.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 14:11 

I don't think it's the "bad guys" thing, it's more to do with it literally being Gulf War II: The Official Game(TM). I mean one of the maps in the beta is called "Helmand". MW2 has Afghan or whatever it's called, but it's never as dodgy as an actual specific locale where loads of people are actually fighting and dying right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 14:13 

But by far my biggest gripe with the game is that it seems a little bit shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 17:00 
Meh

Isn't the first Modern Warfare about shooting Russians? If not I have been doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 17:04 

You shoot both. The majority is Russians though, because...
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the Merkin dies early on because he's not as hard as SAS man.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 20:15 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Wullie wrote:
You shoot both. The majority is Russians though, because...
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the Merkin dies early on because he doesn't have the same quality of facial hair as the he's not as hard as SAS man.

FTFY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 20:33 

That too, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 16:46 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

No more worries about the baddies names they will now be called "The opposing thumbs force"

http://www.1up.com/news/taliban-removed ... ultiplayer

Quote:
The controversy surrounding the upcoming Medal of Honor for its inclusion of the Taliban as playable characters in multiplayer has finally resulted in a change. Electronic Arts has decided to remove the Taliban from multiplayer, renaming the team "Opposing Force."

The change comes less than two weeks prior to the release of the game in the U.S. Medal of Honor executive producer Greg Goodrich announced the move on the official Medal of Honor blog today, claiming that it comes as a result of concerns voiced by the families and friends of fallen soldiers.

"In the past few months, we have received feedback from all over the world regarding the multiplayer portion of Medal of Honor, Goodrich wrote. "We've received notes from gamers, active military, and friends and family of servicemen and women currently deployed overseas. The majority of this feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. For this, the Medal of Honor team is deeply appreciative.

"However, we have also received feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who have expressed concern over the inclusion of the Taliban in the multiplayer portion of our game. This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team. This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. Because of this, and because the heartbeat of Medal of Honor has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team in Medal of Honor multiplayer from Taliban to Opposing Force."

The change shouldn't have any real impact on the game itself. Goodrich noted, "While this change should not directly affect gamers, as it does not fundamentally alter the gameplay, we are making this change for the men and women serving in the military and for the families of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice -- this franchise will never willfully disrespect, intentionally or otherwise, your memory and service."

However you may feel about the change, it does come as somewhat of a surprise after EA CEO John Riccitiello chastised the media for, in his mind, stirring up the controversy. "The controversy kind of caught me by surprise," he said last month. He pointed out the Taliban were playable in the beta and yet "no one noticed... until a journalist decided to put the game box in front of a mom who'd lost her son in Afghanistan to create some controversy. I think that says more about the newspapers than it does the game industry."

In early September, The Army and Air Force Exchange Services banned the game from being sold on Army and Air Force bases, including 49 GameStop stores. There's no word on whether or not the exclusion of the Taliban will now lead to the game being unbanned from stores on those bases, but there are still 10 days before the game's October 12 release date for things to be sorted out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 17:01 

Or "we've milked enough free publicity out of this, and it's time to go with the original plan".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 17:23 
Excellent Member

Doesn't everybody buy these ultimately for the multiplayer now anyway? And since Bad Company 2's multiplayer is so fucking awesome, I'm a bit baffled as to what this is supposed to do.

Seriously, I cannot get enough BBC2 multiplayer. The dust. The noise. The smashing through walls. Oooh. Ooooh. Man. Oooooh. Ooooh yeah man. Man. Ooooh. Yeah. Ooooh. Man. Ooooooh.

(See that ace character in this year's Bad Lieutenant for ref.)

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 18:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

NervousPete wrote:
BBC2 multiplayer

Like....Masterchef, or something?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 18:44 

My mate has this. His girlfriend works in GAME and they got their copies in last week apparently, and the manager let her buy a copy. Anyway, it actually seems pretty good. Was watching him play the campaign for a bit and it looked decent, plus he seems to think the rest of the game I haven't seen is good as well. Still waiting for reviews, but first impressions show it may not be the shit-fest I assumed it would be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 14:21 

*sigh*

It got an irritating 8 on Eurogamer. About as helpful as a kick up the arse. It could be good, it could be average, who knows? Let's give it the 8!

Is anybody else buying this?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 14:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

If I buy anything shooty shooty in the near future, it will be CoD Period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 14:30 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Not that bloody thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 15:02 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I can only assume that once a month it gets a bit crabbit & won't let you play for a few days ;)

Although... :spew:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 19:34 
Paws for thought

Is anybody else buying this?

No. Not interested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 20:44 
SavyGamer

RPS write up turned me off it. I'm almost certainly not going to get into the multiplayer, and the single player sounds a bit shitty.

I'll get it when it hits the bargain bins.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 0:09 

I'm not going to bother. We already have guaranteed awesome in Fallout and Fable, and the multiplayer is undoubtedly going to be overlooked with CoD/Halo (personally), so balls to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 

Having now actually read the Eurogamer review, it sounds shit. Don't understand the 8/10 score tacked on the end at all. NO BUY.

A short single player campaign and a not-quite-as-good BFBC2 multi player thrown in on top that nobody will play.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:53 
Comfortably Dumb

BBC article

I was surprised to see this make the front page of the site. Ok, there's the controversy of being able to play as the Taliban Opposition, but some of the article reads a little too much like an ad for the game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 
Hibernating Druid

And where's Zardoz? I miss him.

Aw, just seen this. :luv:

You soft cunt.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 0:16 
Excellent Member

IVe got this, only played like 3 hours of SP, no MP yet, but its not as good as either MW/MW2 or BFBC2

Very glitchy graphics, invisible walls, buggy.
Likely trade this ASAP for Fallout NV

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]