Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - Out now!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 23:19 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

From Games Radar

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/pac-m ... 2422188087

Quote:
While it looks awfully similar to 2007's Pac-Man Championship Edition, DX's gameplay is actually quite different, and it's aimed at a broader audience than the first CE's hardcore-only traditional Pac-Man fare. That's not to say the difficulty isn't there for those who can handle it, but there's definitely a range of options this time for all skill levels.

The main difference in gameplay in DX compared to traditional Pac-Man revolves around a new kind of ghost. There are still regular ghosts that start in the ghost house in the center and wander around the map getting in Pac-Man's way, but now there's an additional type of ghost that lies in wait all over the maze. Sleeping ghosts sit frozen in various formations on the maze, and when you pass them they wake up and follow behind Pac-Man in an adorable rainbow conga line.

Your objective is to navigate the maze as you usually would, collecting pellets and avoiding ghosts, while passing as many sleeping ghosts as you can to build up a huge chain of ghosts following behind. Once you've got a good conga line going, find a power pellet and then turn around and eat the whole queue of ghosts like a 6 ft novelty burrito. So satisfying.

When you get close to colliding with a ghost, everything automatically slows down to a kind of bullet-time mode, so you have a chance to try and out-maneuver your assailants. To purists it may sound like that would defeat the purpose of Pac-Man's main mechanic, but it's a welcome addition especially given how fast the gameplay becomes after you've been playing awhile. During our demo there were times when everything was moving so fast that we lost track of what was going on, so it's definitely still a very twitchy experience.

Pac-Man CE DX's new mechanic certainly seems to work well and offers a surprisingly fresh take on an old game, but it's the superslick presentation that sends it over the edge into possible addiction territory. The graphics and rainbow color palette are a pleasure to behold, and there are tons of options to swap out templates to change the look and feel of the game. The music too is fittingly energetic, and the pumped up techno beats complement the futuristic-meets-psychedelic aesthetic nicely.

Look for our full review when Pac-Man Championship Edition DX releases later this fall for XBLA and PSN.

Images in spoiler tag

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

WANT - NOW !

Post subject: Re: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX 'soon'
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 23:46 
SavyGamer

I was just about to get the original of this when they announced the new version, so I've yet to play it properly outside of the demo.

I don't think it's ever been discounted either (or at least not since I got a 360) so I've never got it. If this is really a lot different then ideally they'll discount the original when this comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 0:26 
Kindly deeds done for free

LewieP wrote:
I was just about to get the original of this when they announced the new version, so I've yet to play it properly outside of the demo.

I don't think it's ever been discounted either (or at least not since I got a 360) so I've never got it. If this is really a lot different then ideally they'll discount the original when this comes out.

For what it's worth, you can usually get the Xbox Live Arcade compilation disc that includes Pac-Man CE (along with Uno, Luxor 2, Feeding Frenzy and Boom Boom Rocket) for two or three quid on eBay.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 0:37 
SavyGamer

tossrStu wrote:
LewieP wrote:

For what it's worth, you can usually get the Xbox Live Arcade compilation disc that includes Pac-Man CE (along with Uno, Luxor 2, Feeding Frenzy and Boom Boom Rocket) for two or three quid on eBay.

You know, after you said this I went to check CEX to see what I could get trade in when I was done with it, and saw that had (only one in stock) the card version of that compilation, as in you get all those games via a code to plug into the xbox, for just £3, so I went for that instead.

Edit:
(now out of stock) Listing is here in case it comes back in stock.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:38 
Paws for thought

Watch out: Luxor 2 is shit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:41 
SavyGamer

Yeah, I am hoping it comes with several individual codes, not one for all of them.

I already have uno too..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:22 
8-Bit Champion

You can also pick up the original as part of the Namco Arcade disk (along with a pile of other XBLA and arcade titles) for around a tenner (although that requires you to put the disk in to play) , and its well getting (despite the crappy menu system).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:15 
Gogmagog

Pacman is shit, though.

Lauded well beyond its actual greatness, much like Shawshank, repeatedly re-released so more and more people buy it as "It's Pacman".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 
Unpossible!

I've never been a fan of Pacman either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:03 

Nope, me neither but plenty of people do seem to love playing it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:51 
Hibernating Druid

I love Championship Edition Pacman, haven't played it in ages though (only due to spending time on other stuff). This new one looks great.

CONGA!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:38 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
Pacman is shit, though.

Lauded well beyond its actual greatness, much like Shawshank, repeatedly re-released so more and more people buy it as "It's Pacman".

The original pacman is rather basic , and is (I feel correctly) looked on as a classic.

The fact that its around 30 years old does mean that its a little 'long in the tooth' now compared to other things (i disagree with 'its shit').

There have been many remakes of the game in the past , some good / some bad , however I think the "Championship edition" which was released as a 360 excluside around 3 years ago is a great update to the game - the time attack mechanic works well and if i have 5 or 10 minutes i can have a 'full game' - try to beat my scores or the people on my friends list - its a game I do keep going back to so the fact that they are releasing another 'new' version (this time for both 360 and PS3) is something which I want to see (although they could still mess it up).

Is there anything particular you find about Pac-man that you dislike , and are you talking about the original Pac-man , the CE edition or any of the hundreds of others which have came out ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I like Pacman. It is a classic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:47 

The main problem with the original Pacman is that the movement of the ghosts isn't random, it merely depends on the position of Pacman. So it basically becomes a simple memory game if you want to be competitive. If you forget about that, though, and just play it by improvising, the way it was meant to be played, it is one of the best games ever made IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:52 
8-Bit Champion

Everything you'll ever want to know about the original Pac-man

http://home.comcast.net/~jpittman2/pacm ... 20Contents

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:20 

Ooh, I'm going to delve into that! I actually developed a nearly complete and perfect rendition for the Amiga some years ago. I am particularly proud of the way Pacman controlled, since it is a lot more subtle than people know, and almost every port, including most of Namco's own, gets it wrong - Pacman CE being a notable exception. My main problem was figuring out how the game was supposed to progress through the levels, since I was not actually that good a player.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 
8-Bit Champion

lasermink wrote:
Pacman CE being a notable exception.

I would think at least partly because it was designed by Iwatani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Dru_Iwatani

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 

Yeah, that's probably in general why it is the best Pacman version so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 
SavyGamer

True story: I chatted a girl up once with the Puckman/Fuckman story years before Scott Pilgrim.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 0:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

SPOILZ

Post subject: Re: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - Out now!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:23 
8-Bit Champion

Probably worth posting the Pacman DE DX stuff in here instead of filling up the XBLA thread :-)

One review up so far on IGN and it gets a 10

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360 ... edition-dx

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/113/1134848p1.html

Quote:
You know how Pac-Man Championship Edition seemed like the perfect Xbox Live Arcade game? Yeah, they made it even better. Somehow, gaming's oldest mascot is delivering one of the most exciting games of the year. More mazes, more modes, more ghosts...lots more ghosts, actually. This "deluxe" version takes everything that made Championship Edition great and adds a bunch of cool new stuff. It's like taking a great white shark and adding laser beam eyes and saw blades that shoot out of its mouth.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is all about gunning for a high score. Games are timed, so you need to eat as many pellets, fruits, and ghosts as possible before the clock stops. You don't die very often, you earn plenty of extra lives, and you have many bombs at your disposal to get out of tight spots. (Yes, Pac-Man can now trigger bombs that send all of the ghosts back to their hideout.) Without much fear of death, you can focus on the one thing that matters: representing on the leaderboards.

Pac-Man now has many more ghosts to contend with. Like, a hundred more. You'll see the spirits sleeping around a maze, and as Pac-Man whizzes by they'll wake up and give chase. Hold off on eating a Power Pellet long enough and you may find a hundred ghosts trailing behind you in a long conga line. Finally grabbing that Power Pellet and devouring a hundred ghosts in a row is one of the most satisfying things I've done in a game this year. This is also a key technique in getting those high scores.

While the first Championship Edition was super fun, there were only a couple of mazes and modes. DX has nine mazes, most of which are new creations that offer a lot of variety. For example, Spiral has several coils that are easy to get trapped in. Dungeon, on the other hand, has long, cramped corridors. Each maze also has many game options such as Score Attack, Time Trials, and Ghost Combos (see how many ghosts you can eat with one Power Pellet). When you first dive into Championship Edition DX, only the standard Championship II course is unlocked, but each round you play usually unlocks a new maze or mode.

Like I said, it's all about the high score, and Championship Edition DX provides many friendly ways to see how you rank against the competition. You can comb through the leaderboards for extensive data on all the many maps and modes, but there are other really nice touches: your current ranking is displayed right on the title screen, the Course Select screen, and again within the menu for each maze.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX also looks and sounds great. You can select from a variety of maze skins and character designs for each game, running from the 3D Pac-Mania characters to pixilated retro sprites. The lively electronic soundtrack builds in intensity as the game timer ticks down and always gets me leaning forward in my chair.

Closing Comments
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX boasts simple, addictive gameplay that will have you competing for high scores on the leaderboards for months. Everything that made the first game a hit is still here, accompanied by a bunch of new mazes, modes, and ghosts -- all for $10. It's hard to imagine a more perfect Xbox Live Arcade game. This is a master class in game design: you will understand it instantly, enjoy it instantly, and want to play again and again.

IGN Ratings for Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide

10 Presentation
Way more content than the first game, wrapped up in slick visuals and a user-friendly interface.

9.0 Graphics
There are several different maze skins and character designs to choose from, and they all look great.

9.0 Sound
Bouncy techno tunes that become more intense as the timer counts down.

10 Gameplay
Simple and wildly satisfying, this is the perfect arcade game. The addition of more ghosts makes it feel significantly different from the first Championship Edition.

10 Lasting Appeal
Serious players will be battling it out on the leaderboards for the foreseeable future.

OVERALL
Masterful
(out of 10)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 
Hibernating Druid

Played the demo last night.

Buying it today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:33 
Honey Boo Boo

Except, you're buying Fudge Pack Man.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:35 

Stop buying yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

The cheevos on this are a bit easy. I unlocked 6 of them on my first go and did the lot in one evening.

Still a great game though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 16:08 
Hibernating Druid

MetalAngel wrote:

No, your Dad's free.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 16:13 

A bit annoying that the overall leaderboard is based on a stupid cumulative score thing. They should have used the Championship II 5 min Score Attack instead.

Lovely game though. It's even more removed from original Pac-Man than the last CE was.

Achvs are far too easy though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 16:23 
8-Bit Champion

Blucey wrote:
A bit annoying that the overall leaderboard is based on a stupid cumulative score thing. They should have used the Championship II 5 min Score Attack instead.

Agreed - however you do get all the individual ones which is nice - you also get your position in the world on most of them directly from the selection screen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 17:09 

Holy shit. I hate Pac-Man. This is brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 19:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Bought it yesterday and played it for three hours solid.

Best XBLA game to date for my money, an absolutely perfect distillation of what videogaming 'is' if you will.

Awesome stuff.

The analogue stick on the 360 pad just isn't up to the job though when it really gets fast, needs some king of 'fighting game' D-pad based controller or an arcade stick I think, which I am investigating :metul:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 19:54 

You want a Hori stick good sir!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially ... 473&sr=8-1

I got lucky and bagged one for £20 ages ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 20:26 
8-Bit Champion

If you can find one the Hori fight stick's which are branded for specific games may be cheaper - i think i got this for around £20 a while back and the actual stick is very good (although all my high scores yesterday were just on the stock 360 pad) - it is also very good for both shooters and fighting games.

Attachment:
100_0820.JPG

You can pick up one from "the game collection" for £30

http://www.thegamecollection.net/tekken ... d=frooogle

Its reasonably light , wireless , runs off 2xAA's and although not as solid as something like an X-Arcade does the job for 360 stuff.

*edit* actually looking back thats where i got mine from although it was £25 at the time : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111&p=404193&hilit=tekken#p404193

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 20:58 
Excellent Member

It is threads like these that make me wish I had a 360 or PS3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 22:20 
Honey Boo Boo

Zardoz wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

No, your Dad's free.

Your mother pays me for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:10 
Hello Hello Hello

Just tried this again and got very close to my current high score on 5-min Champ II but couldn't beat it, my reactions are ahead of what I'm doing, but I'm getting the wrong direction on the gamepad too often, when I need to be changing direction really quickly in an enclosed space. (I can usually escape with bullet time and/or a smart bomb from going the wrong way, but it all impacts negatively on score of course.)

Hori Stick buy!

Makes Pac Man CE DX a bit of an expensive XBLA game though :o

Can you get one with a cable so it'll work on a PC as well?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 
8-Bit Champion

Atrocity Exhibition wrote:

You can buy one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-G ... cp_vg_h__2

Which lets you use Xbox wireless controllers on your PC

*or* you can buy the wired stick - i'm sure there is a wired version of the HORI , any xbox wired controller will just connect directly to the USB port on your PC and be seen as a gaming controller.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 
I forgot about this - how vain

Always hated Pac-Man. But CE was glorious. So much so that I couldn't understand what they could add to make a CE2. But by golly if it isn't twice as glorious.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was top of the leaderboard when I went to bed last.night.. I bet that won't last.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:12 

Played this for two hours straight last night, awesome stuff.

I echo the comments about the analogue stick just not being up to scratch though - time to dig out that Hori stick that I bought for SWOS and then realised I couldn't play with it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 
Sleepyhead

Having never liked Pacman, but hearing joy from other like-minded people, I wonder what on earth they could have done to make it so amazing.

I shall download the demo tomorrow and investigate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 

zaphod79 wrote:

*or* you can buy the wired stick - i'm sure there is a wired version of the HORI , any xbox wired controller will just connect directly to the USB port on your PC and be seen as a gaming controller.

My Hori is wired and it works on the PC for MAME purposes. Personally I wouldn't bother with a wireless one. The lag is too noticeable with such a "precision instrument".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 
Hibernating Druid

It's a cracking game. Amazing what a difference a few changes have made. It feels chomping row after row of ghosts! :metul:

Not tried it with my Hori stick yet, the pad feels ok for now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 15:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:

My Hori is wired and it works on the PC for MAME purposes. Personally I wouldn't bother with a wireless one. The lag is too noticeable with such a "precision instrument".

Yeah I don't like wireless controllers of any description, and avoid them if I can.

I will try to hunt down a wired Hori Stick as I'm sure it's the limitations of the 360's analogue pad (AND ITS AMAZINGLY FUCKING RUBBISH D-PAD OH MY GOD WHY THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN PUT IT ON THERE MICROSOFT?) that are letting me down, I know well in advance where I want to go pretty much all the time in CE DX (as you need to if you're gonna get the highest scores), but sometimes it just doesn't happen - an analogue stick is fundamentally unsuited to a pure 4-way arcade game with what are the most basic-of-basic up-down-left-right controls.

Yes a smart bomb and bullet time can save you, but they waste precious time and the smart bomb slows the whole game's speed down which hurts even more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 20:38 
Hello Hello Hello

A well-deserved 10/10 from Eurogamer, and he's not the only one thinking the same thing about the 360's controller.....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -dx-review

Quote:
The price of staying alive is the constantly rising gameplay speed, and once you start getting into the realms of [speed] 40 and above, the battle to keep Pac-Man on course becomes an increasingly futile one. At this point, you'll probably be muttering about chunky old-style 4-way joysticks and shouting at the joypad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 21:48 
8-Bit Champion

It now has 3 reviews on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360 ... edition-dx

10/10 from IGN and Eurogamer and a 9/10 from Game informant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 20:46 
Participant in dramatic games

so the two most recenty games i bought are remakes of the games i thought were already the definitive version of their genre (this and pinball fx).. well at least crazy taxi is probably not that good as i see the first reactions, otherwise it would have been an expensive xbla month

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 0:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Thanks to this and Pinball FX, my eyes are knackered. Damn my need to blink.

I don't see me troubling the scoreboards on this one though as when the speed gets up, my reactions aren't up to it, although it might be down to the controller to a small extent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It should use the buttons.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 
8-Bit Champion

Grim... wrote:
It should use the buttons.

Actually there is a good argument for that - but i think it should let you turn the controller upside down to use it :-)

I do wonder about if the 'new' Xbox controller with the swivel d-pad to change it to a four way would make a big difference

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:47 

zaphod79 wrote:
I do wonder about if the 'new' Xbox controller with the swivel d-pad to change it to a four way would make a big difference

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/113/1134111p1.html
Quote:
Once you get past the interesting concept of the transforming d-pad, however, you realize that its utility is largely superficial and there really isn't a significant difference between how the two modes function. Both the plus and disk modes retain 8-way directional functionality and the same level of resistance, but the plus shape simply emphasizes the four core directions – up, down, left, and right. Still, tactile variation can go a long way in certain game types, and fighting and classic games are easier to control using the plus mode. We wouldn't say the transforming d-pad fully resolves the Xbox 360 controller's problems – the swivel mechanism is still somewhat loose – but it certainly makes some worthwhile improvements.

Doesn't sound like a zomg upgrade to me.

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next