Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ] 
 Post subject: I'm running Ubuntu Linux on a pants laptop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:19 
What-ho, chaps!

As some people like to read about linuxings:

I'm running Xbunutu on a Compaq Presario 1200 (12XL513).

700 MHz Intel Celeron processor! 6 GB hard drive! 800x600 display! 320 MB RAM! (They come with 64MB, somebody must have liked this laptop so much to get a 256MB upgrade before I got it.)

The laptop's suffered some physical damage over the years; the hinges to the sides of the screen seized up. I executed the obvious solution: WD40! Nah, only kidding. That would have been smart. Instead, I repeatedly opened and closed the screen until the plastic on both the lid and base shattered, allowing me to remove the hinge entirely. The laptop is now held open by a pair of picture hanging hooks and some fluorescent string.

I've been running Xubuntu 7 on it for ages, but then I left the laptop alone for some months, and SPM didn't want to upgrade itself to 9.04, so I had to format and install 9.04 again. It used to be on XP, but then I got got by an EVIL VIRUS WEBSITE because I was running IE6. I figured that it wouldn't run Firefox very well on XP, so I went with Xubuntu. (The reason I got it back to scratch again is that my 'big' laptop got a rootkit from somewhere and is pending investigation and reinstallation. Maybe I should just stop using laptops altogether.*)

All of the stuff that you'd expect of an OS is present and correct. Hasn't crashed once! (YEAH, an OS isn't supposed to give you a GUI, a file explorer application, context menus and such. You know what I mean. Be quiet.) It runs Firefox 3 and Code::Blocks fine (being able to see only six lines of source at once is a bit of a handicap though. And my OpenGL game I'm coding crashes after a minute of play. Nevermind). Can't watch Youtube videos on it, OHNO. The ubuntu-restricted-extras package is suspiciously well maintained for all its EVIL proprietary goodness. Makes Flash work, an' everything. And believe it or not, GIMP is still ghastly in its native habitat.

The kernel has built in drivers for the Pegasus USB Ethernet gadget that came with the laptop, and it automatically detected the 3com officeconnect -CRWE wireless PCMCIA card. It also works with my USB Sumvision SD card reader. It's completely flummoxed by the laptop's battery, but so was Windows, even with the correct drivers. I think Compaq Presario batteries must have some kind of built-in physical obsolescence.

Xfce is really, really neat. You have to poke it for ages to get the text sizes and fonts to look nice, but with the wallis fxwm theme and the mist appearance, it's a compact and functional look that's like XP yet not; a polite mickey take. (The Redmond and RedmondXP styles being impolite mickey takes.) It wasn't my intention to make it look like XP, but ALL other pairings of xfwm themes and Appearance settings look hideous.

I suppose this laptop is supposed to be running DOS (there's a Windows ME license on the base), and old games... but they all suck. ALL OF THEM YES. Especially TIE Fighter. (And it would look more awful than normal, with the 640x480 mode upscaled to the 800x600 physical display.)

* No. And give me all your laptops.

Post subject: Re: I'm running Ubuntu Linux on a pants laptop
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:21 
Unpossible!

jeez man, get a new laptop! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:25 
What-ho, chaps!

I have a new laptop! My Acer Travelmate C300 tablet PC is nifty! I don't have the pen for it, though. Defeats the point, yes, but shut up.

Anybody got a Wacom PENABLED pen handy? :/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:40 
Comfortably Dumb

MrD wrote:
700 MHz Intel Celeron processor! 6 GB hard drive! 800x600 display! 320 MB RAM! (They come with 64MB, somebody must have liked this laptop so much to get a 256MB upgrade before I got it.)

Luxury! I dusted mine off tonight...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:44 
Unpossible!

Right. When I were a lad, we used to run Windows Vista on a rolled up newspaper int middle'a road. It'd crash 10 minutes before it booted and set your house on fire if you touched the keyboard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 23:47 
Excellent Member

About three years ago I did IT support for schools for expelled kids. At one point I had to look through some PC's that might be chucked out. The most modern of them still did the clicky counter to register 16MB of RAM. The boxes I actually chucked out were made of wood.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 0:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have an Ubuntu laptop! It's a slimline Dell of some kind. Look! There it is!

Whoo Ubuntu!

[edit]Posted from an Acer Laptop running Vista. Fucked if I can remember the last time the Dell got switched on...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 19:40 
What-ho, chaps!

XFCE is still impressing me with its simple swish-ness. XFCEFTW.

I almost got Firestarter working and in control of everything, which is a bit of an improvement over Ubuntu 7.04. (The ubuntu bug tracking system for firestarter notes that firestarter can't control dhcp settings properly any more because the configuration for dhcp is now called dhcp3 and nobody bothered to update it.)

KDE is sinister and scary by comparison. It's K-this and K-that, everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 21:19 

KDE is virtually redundant as far as I'm concerned, Gnome and XFCE give me reliability and power/economy preferences, plus Netbook remix is gnome glory!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 22:36 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have an old toshiba satelite t120 lying around somewhere. The Windows installation got corrupted somehow so that it too 35 minutes to load, but strangely it would load and then work fine after that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:47 
What-ho, chaps!

Xfce Menu is a bit a fiddly to customise. That's the worst thing that's happened so far.

Operation: Inner Space works under Wine! The ingame midi playback doesn't though. BOO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 
Gogmagog

9.04 isn't too great with my computer, IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 
What-ho, chaps!

The best raster image editing application in the known universe is IN THE HOUSE. That is to say, Paint Shop Pro 4.10 runs in Wine perfectly. QUITE PERVERSE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:17 
Gogmagog

My desktop just fellover, I think this time it isn't temporary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:38 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:

hardware, y'think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 
Gogmagog

MrDavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:

hardware, y'think?

Ububtu loads up and then after a minute dumps me to the login screen, i login again and after a couple more minutes, it dumps me back to that. This can happen several times before it stops doing it.

It freezes at random, sometimes, the CPU load is up at 100% and a slow, but a reboot cures this

HDD seems to be knackered as it's having to rebuild itself on a daily basis.

Could be a virus i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:41 
Gogmagog

I'm assuming that the hard disk making a chirping sound like a cricket for a long, long time, and nothing loading or owt, followed by a list of IO errors when i clicked RESTART and just after post the primary slave not being detected (where the UBUNTU thingy is) means it's a dead HDD?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:46 

MaliA wrote:
I'm assuming that the hard disk making a chirping sound like a cricket for a long, long time, and nothing loading or owt, followed by a list of IO errors when i clicked RESTART and just after post the primary slave not being detected (where the UBUNTU thingy is) means it's a dead HDD?
Almost certainly. Well, dying.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:53 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Almost certainly. Well, dying.

BIOS can't see either of them. Oh, dear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 
UltraMod

Try an angle grinder.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:56 
Gogmagog

A quick google suggests it's either a Head Crash, a Mechanical Failure or an Electrical Failure.

http://www.adrc.com/hard_disk_failures.html

Worst I stand to lose if some music, ho hum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 
Gogmagog

myp wrote:
Try an angle grinder.

It's often the best course of action.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 

MaliA wrote:
A quick google suggests it's either a Head Crash, a Mechanical Failure or an Electrical Failure.
These are all just Failures really. Although if it's electrical there is sometimes something you can do if you care about the data enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:22 

Perhaps you've got a cricket stuck in there? That'd play havoc with the heads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 
Gogmagog

Well, I jiggled about with the leads and the drievs appeared in BIOS.

I tried to laod up UBUNTU and it said:

Quote:
Begin: Running /scripts/init -bottom
mount: mounting /root/dev/. static/dev failed: no such file or directory
Done
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed:no such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed:no such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
No init found try passing init=bootarg

So, I tried to laod XP and it did. The XP is on the 200gig HDD, the 60 gig has UBUNTU and is the knackered one. The 60 gig drive is approx 7 years old, the 200, maybe 6.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 19:43 
What-ho, chaps!

My old computer, Nagi, had some hard drive trouble with its Western Digital Caviar drive over a year ago, and it's been sitting in a box in the middle of my bedroom, without HDD, since then. I learned that you need a super duper computer to run the necessary version of Mac OS X for developing iPhone games, so I've decided to give that a miss for a bit.

After fixing some folks' computer, I was given an old 40gb IDE hard drive. Not big enough to use in my main computer as a games drive, but more than suitable to put in Nagi and see if her remaining components are up to the task of 'being a computer'.

I've had enough of Ubuntu's fiddling around with things when I'm not looking. They updated the gdm, but the new gdm doesn't allow customisable themes. My classy login screen, which I spent NEARLY A HALF AN HOUR putting together, rendered useless! I was aghast.

For Nagi, I decided to use an operating system that revels in being predictable and behind the times.

It's Debian time!

You've gotta love an operating system that uses a BLOOD-STAINED SPIRAL as its logo. It's a little known fact that the Debian spiral represents a DEADLY VORTEX into which your time will fall, trying to get the thing to do anything.

Still, it's good to learn. Right? RIGHT?

To begin, I tried the testing Debian, squeeze. Although I'm sure that I chose the 'Desktop Environment' task, it didn't install one. I'm glad that the lynx (a text console web browser) packages were there, otherwise I would have been completely screwed. With lynx, I could find out all the stuff I needed to get xfce working. (It's called xfce4, not xfce. Aaaaaah. And sometimes it's aptitude and not apt-get. Aaaaaaah.)

Reboot, and desktop! Huzzah!

The sound device enumerator kept putting the PC Speaker as the topmost audio device. You'd think that would simply mean that 'the system has the ability to beep at you'... but no! Even better than that! When I told VLC to play a song, the PC speaker actually did a passable job of playing it. Useless, sure, but I thought it was pretty clever. Had to edit a config file to tell it that the PC speaker wasn't actually that good at being a speaker.

I installed VirtualBox to have a go of some of the other Debians. I can see why a lot of people don't like KDE all that much. The standard KDE 'Desktop Environment' install gives you so much crap it's untrue. And, the crap that it gives you is hideously complicated. I couldn't even begin to try and remove it all.

I decided to start all over again, this time with the stable Debian, lenny. The main reason for this is that I kinda messed up my system by installing all the random crap I could find just to take a look at it, and squeeze doesn't have support for the official nvidia drivers.

Squeeze decided to reveal one final suprise: Brasero, the GTK CD burning application which I was going to use to burn the lenny iso, didn't work. Bah. Had to use K3B in the end. It was something to do with the way that it dealt with the CD drive: whenever I ejected the tray, the tray closed itself shortly after. I think it was trying to mount it or something.

One completely bare lenny later, and I could install xfce4, gdm, synaptic, iceweasel. SYSTEM COMPLETE. That was a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

The stuff in lenny is older than hell (At least compared to Ubuntu's state, OpenOffice is ghastly looking, I had to compile my own Pidgin (WHICH WORKED FIRST TIME WHAT THE HELL), etc), but it hasn't thrown a tantrum or anything. It's just operating... systematically.

In conclusion: Xfce is absolutely super duper. Gnome and KDE get in the way. Lxde is like Xfce except less consistent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 23:59 

Liunx - if the Amiga had taken off and the PC hadn't, this is whatd be for dinner.

Gotta be honest, for all the griefs there's a certain "HAW HAW I'M USING PROPAR COMPUTERZ" about it all. It feels like computers used to when computers were computers. More the "one day, this''l be able to do anything" feel, as opposed to the "this should do anything now, but it doesn't" feel of OSX/Windows.

I like linux, specifically Debian/Ubuntu (interference and all) but couldn't rely on it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 0:26 
Excellent Member

I quite like Debian for running on my Bytemark server. But having had Linux on my desktop for 3 and a bit years at my last job, I wouldn't want it on my desktop.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 0:31 
Unpossible!

linux. ouch. IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 19:18 
What-ho, chaps!

Seems like the linux versions of UAE are complete crap in comparison to their Windows counterparts.

The one thing that I could count on this pants laptop for (running Pinball Dreams or old Assassins disks) and it can't do it under linux.

FOR SHAME.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 20:28 
baron of techno

GovernmentYard wrote:
Liunx - if the Amiga had taken off and the PC hadn't, this is whatd be for dinner.

Gotta be honest, for all the griefs there's a certain "HAW HAW I'M USING PROPAR COMPUTERZ" about it all. It feels like computers used to when computers were computers.

To be fair, OSX gives that feeling once you realise it has a command shell, and an do proper computery stuff straight out of the box.

But without also having the feeling that it's been cobbled together by geeks for free, and absolutely everything you do on it is going to end up with frustrating fiddling about instead of getting what you wanted done (the usual experience I have with Linux every time I've tried it). OS X is a reasonable middle ground between Linux and Windows. What could have been with the Amiga though, eh...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 20:28 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MrD wrote:
Seems like the linux versions of UAE are complete crap in comparison to their Windows counterparts.

The one thing that I could count on this pants laptop for (running Pinball Dreams or old Assassins disks) and it can't do it under linux.

FOR SHAME.

Doesn't the Amiga Forever disks let you boot them up (with some type of linux) and use the machine as if your laptop was an actual amiga ?

** Edit **

http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/

Amiga Forever KX Light

KX Light is a GNU/Linux distribution based on a modified version of Knoppix Debian, specifically developed to allow the Amiga Forever CD to be used to boot a PC, if so desired. At the end of the KX Light boot process the GNU/Linux version of UAE is started, featuring the Amiga Forever Workbench 3.X environment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 20:32 
baron of techno

zaphod79 wrote:
MrD wrote:

FOR SHAME.

Doesn't the Amiga Forever disks let you boot them up (with some type of linux) and use the machine as if your laptop was an actual amiga ?

** Edit **

http://www.amigaforever.com/kxlight/

Amiga Forever KX Light

KX Light is a GNU/Linux distribution based on a modified version of Knoppix Debian, specifically developed to allow the Amiga Forever CD to be used to boot a PC, if so desired. At the end of the KX Light boot process the GNU/Linux version of UAE is started, featuring the Amiga Forever Workbench 3.X environment.

Huh, so it can!
http://www.amigaforever.com/gfx/screens ... t_anim.gif

Didn't realise that, and I have that version too..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
To be fair, OSX gives that feeling once you realise it has a command shell, and an do proper computery stuff straight out of the box.

But without also having the feeling that it's been cobbled together by geeks for free, and absolutely everything you do on it is going to end up with frustrating fiddling about instead of getting what you wanted done (the usual experience I have with Linux every time I've tried it).

You to have missed out the (approximately) 1,000 bad points that go with that, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 15:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have just updated to Ubuntu 10 (insert silly name here) on my laptop.

It's a bit good, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 22:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm changing my mind - this is bloody good. I recommend anyone to grab a Live CD / USB key and give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 23:06 
What-ho, chaps!

Ubuntu is old news. Mint has absolutely killed Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 
Comfortably Dumb

MrD wrote:

In what way?

Since I replaced my main desktop computer, I've basically got a 'spare' which I might install Ubuntu on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrD wrote:

Ooh, has it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 
Unpossible!

Hmm... since it's an Ubuntu derivative, I'd say that Mint relies completely on the work that Ubuntu do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 

The only major difference is that Mint comes with flash & various non-free codecs installed saving a job for folk that don't know what they're doing, but if you've half a brain you'll be saving your package selections before you update anyway, that way it'll install all the software & codecs you had in your original install.

It's just ubuntu with more stuff pre-installed to save new folk being put off because they need to do a bit of work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 18:11 
What-ho, chaps!

I meant dead to me. All of the things that I would use Ubuntu for (a rescue disk, a last-minute OS, um...) Mint does (SHOCK), but the Ubuntu 10.04 does CRAZY THINGS that I don't like. (If you like the buttons being IN THE WRONG PLACE, odd COLOURS, and that weird CORNER OF THE SCREEN THING, then Ubuntu 10.04 is for you!)

Given a choice between Ubuntu and Mint, I'd pick Windows XP every time. Mint is less crazy than Ubuntu right now though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:15 

okay, so I install Ubuntu* on an old laptop, but the keyboard and mousepad thingy are not recognised. Well, there were once, but not since then.

*Ubuntu indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So you've got no input at all?

Do they work if you put the live CD in and boot from that again?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:26 

It didn't the first install (used my USB Kb&M), then I rebooted and reinstalled and on that install it worked, then on a reload (3 times now) no input. Plugged the USB M in, nothing, but thought that might be a driver problem. Also having problems getting the wireless to work. Can see the network, but can't gain access, but this may be because the wireless in the laptop is old?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Could be. If you plug it into the network, is there any way you can fire off the upgrade software?

I love your Stone Cold avatar :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 15:12 

ok, the mouse pad, Laptop keyboard and both the USB Kb and M work on the 10.04 Ubuntu live CD. They work for about 20 seconds on the installation, then freeze and nothing works.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 17:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Are you sure the computer hasn't crashed?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 18:35 

no, I appear to be in and running now, but it takes a few attempts.

I can't get either wired or wireless network to work though, although it is possible the wired port is flaky, I don't know the history of the laptop, and it is quite old.

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]