Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: LOL CAMPER PHAG
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Terry's Cock said he didn't like the look of CODBLOPS because the new gadgets and features made people more likely to camp.

I started playing FPS multiplayer with Quake 3 and Half Life, and moved onto Counter Strike during its early beta days. Counter Strike wasn't called Camper Strike by idiots for nothing, the game encouraged the Terrorist team to dig in and stop the Counter-Terrorist team from rescuing the hostages. Later versions of the game added a bomb so the CT team could camp too (but there were always two bomb targets, so the team had to split up). Anyway, it was ace, and became the official game of the Internet for about eight years. And, when you played in leagues or 'proper' matches, no-one complained about campers, because camping makes perfect sense.

It doesn't matter what the game is, if there are people running around with guns only proper idiots would be out in the open. The smart players, much like you would in real life, find themselves a little bolthole, lock the door behind them and start racking up the kills. There can be two reasons why this pisses people off.

1) The game does indeed make it too easy to camp - regenerating health is a big help, map design that allows only one line of sight to a hidey-hole, zoomed rifles that are too powerful or fire too rapidly, things like that. Obviously it's no fun getting shot every time you walk around a corner, but that's probably because
2) You're not very good, or, perhaps more accurately, you're not being very sensible. I don't want this to sound like "wah wah wah you're not playing it 'right' way" but if someone keeps shooting you every time you walk around a corner then you're doing something pretty wrong. In CS (playing as a proper team, at least) you might lose one team-member to a camper, maybe two if you were unlucky, before someone sings out, two people sneak off to flank the campy camper and one stays behind to throw the odd bit of distracting fire at him. One carefully-aimed headshot later, and on you move. Campers die just as easy as anyone else (easier, in some ways, because their attention is normally focussed in one direction).

Now, I know that often (like, 99% of the time) that situation won't arise, because people you play with are dicks and won't talk to each other, or stick together as a team, blah blah - but that isn't the camper's fault. You can get annoyed and call him a n00b fagosaurus all you like, but at the end of the day he's not the one dying, is he?

[Note] I'm aware this post doesn't translate well to 1 on 1 deathmatch games, but they're rare nowadays anyway.

Post subject: Re: LOL CAMPER PHAG
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:34 

The only time camping pisses me off is when I'm trying to learn a new map and that's more the respawns causing me grief than the camping-death itself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:35 
Skillmeister

I generally don't like the sort of FPS game where camping is possible. There's no sense in doing so in, say, Unreal Tournament 3 due to the fast and frenetic FUN happening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 
Meh

Grim... wrote:
Terry's Cock said he didn't like the look of CODBLOPS because the new gadgets and features made people more likely to camp.

I started playing FPS multiplayer with Quake 3 and Half Life, and moved onto Counter Strike during its early beta days. Counter Strike wasn't called Camper Strike by idiots for nothing, the game encouraged the Terrorist team to dig in and stop the Counter-Terrorist team from rescuing the hostages. Later versions of the game added a bomb so the CT team could camp too (but there were always two bomb targets, so the team had to split up). Anyway, it was ace, and became the official game of the Internet for about eight years. And, when you played in leagues or 'proper' matches, no-one complained about campers, because camping makes perfect sense.

It doesn't matter what the game is, if there are people running around with guns only proper idiots would be out in the open. The smart players, much like you would in real life, find themselves a little bolthole, lock the door behind them and start racking up the kills. There can be two reasons why this pisses people off.

1) The game does indeed make it too easy to camp - regenerating health is a big help, map design that allows only one line of sight to a hidey-hole, zoomed rifles that are too powerful or fire too rapidly, things like that. Obviously it's no fun getting shot every time you walk around a corner, but that's probably because
2) You're not very good, or, perhaps more accurately, you're not being very sensible. I don't want this to sound like "wah wah wah you're not playing it 'right' way" but if someone keeps shooting you every time you walk around a corner then you're doing something pretty wrong. In CS (playing as a proper team, at least) you might lose one team-member to a camper, maybe two if you were unlucky, before someone sings out, two people sneak off to flank the campy camper and one stays behind to throw the odd bit of distracting fire at him. One carefully-aimed headshot later, and on you move. Campers die just as easy as anyone else (easier, in some ways, because their attention is normally focussed in one direction).

Now, I know that often (like, 99% of the time) that situation won't arise, because people you play with are dicks and won't talk to each other, or stick together as a team, blah blah - but that isn't the camper's fault. You can get annoyed and call him a n00b fagosaurus all you like, but at the end of the day he's not the one dying, is he?

[Note] I'm aware this post doesn't translate well to 1 on 1 deathmatch games, but they're rare nowadays anyway.

It's not real life though. It's a game and I play games to have fun. If a game allows people to camp too easily and therefore shoot me repeatedly without me having a reasonable chance of doing the same to them then it's no fun. I won't however call them ghey I will just find another game that is balanced properly.

The problem is that historically there have been too many games where snipers have had an unfair advantage and this is why most people hate them. So if you want to snipe camp then fine but don't expect to be popular because it is never going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Are you suggesting Counter Strike isn't fun?

[edit] @ Dimrill, but maybe Nemmie too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 
Skillmeister

It's not the fun I enjoy, no. I prefer daftness and detachment from reality.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 
Ready for action

I totally agree with everything Grim... said. Well apart from Counter Strike stuff because I haven't ever played it and so it would be silly of me to agree.
I actually think Modern Warfare handles camping quite well. there are some really spots for setting up and picking off opponents but very rarely do you find an area where you only have one line of sight or approach so even if you are camping ( which isn't really my style of play as I'm impatient) you have to keep on guard and move around to stay alive. As for non-campers, what Grim... said. If you keep dying, go another way. try and sneak up on them. use flash grenades and smoke, chuck a frag in when they're flashed, set up claymores and lure them out. There are plenty of ways to handle it.
Finally, if you get sick of people playing objective games and other players not communicating or even playing toward the objective...come and play with us*! I actually don't know if we've ever been beaten at Domination when there are six beexers on a team and nothing is better than six beexers vs the world at Search and Destroy.

*Sorry I've been neglecting my Xbox lately guys, I'm coming back soon promise x

Also, I love UT3 as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 
I forgot about this - how vain

I've only multiplayer FPS games I've really ever played are MW1+2 and BC2. In which I run around like a headless chicken.

And I've never had a problem with campers. They add a structure and geometry to play field. If that makes sense.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 
Meh

CS certainly wasn't fun when they had a gun that you could shoot someone in the toe with and kill them instantly (also completely unrealistic). I believe they fixed that later but I had already moved on to something a little more balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
Finally, if you get sick of people playing objective games and other players not communicating or even playing toward the objective...come and play with us*!

Oh God, that drives me mad. People that rush off to play lone deathmatch when you have a protect the area mission just so they can "GET MOAR KILLZ" deserve to be shot in the back of the head as they run (but I wouldn't do that, as I'm not a dirty TKer).

I mean, obviously, it's up to you how to play the game, but wouldn't they be happier actually playing DM?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 
Hibernating Druid

I like to run and gun, personally.

It seems that GoW2 and the recently discovered Rainbow 6 - Las Vegas 2 are the bestest shooting games. This is because of that Scotchlander who tries to communicate with me in them.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nemmie wrote:
CS certainly wasn't fun when they had a gun that you could shoot someone in the toe with and kill them instantly (also completely unrealistic). I believe they fixed that later but I had already moved on to something a little more balanced.

Yeah, the AW-P. It's still brutally powerful but in the early versions it reloaded so fast it was practically a semi-automatic.

Nemmie wrote:
(also completely unrealistic)

If you get shot in the toe with a high-powered sniper rifle, you are going to lay on the floor and cry about it. You'll probably go into shock, too. Your version of realism seems to be based on Rambo ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 
Meh

Grim... wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Yeah, the AW-P. It's still brutally powerful but in the early versions it reloaded so fast it was practically a semi-automatic.

Nemmie wrote:
(also completely unrealistic)

If you get shot in the toe with a high-powered sniper rifle, you are going to lay on the floor and cry about it. You'll probably go into shock, too. You version of realism seems to be based on Rambo ;)

I would like to think that If I got shot in the big toe the Dunkirk spirit would keep me going. :)

Going Rambo is the way to go though, I have done it right the way through from Quake 3 to Left 4 Dead 2. The wonderful thing about Left 4 Dead 2 versus mode is that none of the normal FPS playing styles apply apart from Rambo but even that will just lead to an early death on most occasions. So you really do have to work as a team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Surely most of the zombie team in L4D2 vs mode will camp ahead of the survivors?

And as anyone will tell you, if I'm playing for fun I am possibly the most uncampy (hmm) person that exists. Ask Gaywood how well that works in Splinter Cell ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
Surely most of the zombie team in L4D2 vs mode will camp ahead of the survivors?

True but they usually only get one go at attacking, and don't tend to have high velocity rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 
Skillmeister

And die as soon as someone breathes at them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 
Meh

Dimrill wrote:
And die as soon as someone breathes at them.

Not if you work as a team. There are some great combos that are very effective.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 
Skillmeister

Can't be bothered. Left 4 Dead's non co-op multiplay can go and suck a testicle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 
Meh

Dimrill wrote:
Can't be bothered. Left 4 Dead's non co-op multiplay can go and suck a testicle.

Well as long as it's my testicle then I am happy with that conclusion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 
Isn't that lovely?

Quake3 all the way for me, and mostly proper team games, so camping (German style) and cessing (Swedish Style) are all part and parcel of the game. The best way to get rid of some campers is to cess, cess, and more cess. And then when your team has control, the best thing to do is campy cess (UK style), where you camp the good weapon/armour but only when it's due to spawn, you end up doing a cycle of the map, and is a very successful style of play if done properly. playing open games you sorta gotta expect selfish players. I always used to play on known servers where the people playing knew how to play properly and had the necersarry team speal binds, if on an unknown server it would be just FFA

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Am I the only person that doesn't know what cess means?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 
Skillmeister

No.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 
Gogmagog

When I first began to play COD4:MW TDM some dude told me to learn a small area of each map from the respawn point per round and stick to it all round, then the next time the map appears, learn another bit on the other side. By the 6th time you play the map, you've pretty much sorted all of the map from either side, and this helps in Domination and so on and so forth.

I tried this, and then began to find my games much more enjoyable. Turns out, he was right. After 3 weeks, though, I reverted to my UT style of running about lots.

Playing with the Bezzies is acebest and I miss my Live subscription for that reason.

Camping (in FPS) doesn't really irritate me too much, as I soon learn which corners not to walk around and where they might be. If i's a legit game mechanic, then fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Grim... wrote:

The extreme opposite of camping, attacking with your spawn weapon (or any weapon you pick up on the way without delaying your journey) continuously and relentlesssly until you control the campy areas.

I think it's American in origin and stems from the battlefield looking llike a cess pit when you've finished.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

Nope. The last sentence confused me more though.

What happens in FPS games where both teams like to camp? A lot of staring at the scenery until one team loses their patience?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:
What happens in FPS games where both teams like to camp? A lot of staring at the scenery until one team loses their patience?

Depends on the objective of the map - in Counter Strike, for example, you've got ~ 4 minutes to complete the objective, be that blowing something up or rescuing some hostages.

If it's pure deathmatch then yes, basically, although you could rewrite it as "A lot of staring at the scenery until the losing team loses their patience?" ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 

Hey! I don't mind camping as a legitimate strategy. My problem with MW2 is that it's the only strategy that is encouraged by the developers because of killstreaks. I played Counter-Strike for years and loved it. Camping was a necessary part of that dependent on the map and the team you were on. It was fun.

In short - I like a lot of FPSes for different reasons. Camping isn't by "big beef" with MW2 by a long shot, but I do find it annoying that killstreaks have made it necessary for success. In Counter-Strike, you camped to fulfil and objective. In MW2 people ignore the objectives completely and camp to rack up high personal scores, which is fucking atrocious. I don't mind being killed by a camper, I just go back and kill them in the face revenge style. I do mind when my entire team is hiding so they can call their Harriers in, whilst I try to plant the bomb or capture the flag on my own.

Basically, killstreaks have removed the necessity of playing any gametype other than team deathmatch, because everyone plays the other gametypes in the same campy way anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 

I don't play a whole lot of online games and have never taken any of the CODs for a spin online, but I did go through a fairly heavy patch of playing Killzone 2 online. The whole gameplay style and map design in that lent itself very well to camping, as you'd naturally want a few guys on your team taking up sniping positions by your enemy's mission objectives to provide proper defence.

However, the maps were all designed in such a way that for all the nooks and crannies in each map, there was never really anywhere that didn't have multiple access points, so the trick was to simply learn where people were camping and approach from an angle they wouldn't be expecting or weren't adequately covering.

That was a fucking great game online... Might have to dust off the PS3 when I get in!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 
Bad Girl

I gotta agree with Grim…

There’s nothing wrong with hiding and shooting. One of my favourite multiplayer games of all time (which no one bloody plays) is Ghost Recon AW 2. The guns were lethal from any distance and a quick brap-brap was all that was needed to take down any opposing player. Games invariably play out with people creeping around the maps, holding down choke points and nudging forward to get the best spots. Games were tense affairs looking down the scope of your assault rifle (since assault rifles had just as decent scope as any sniper) trying to spot someone trying to cross open ground or nudge out from behind a wall.

It was all team deathmatch back in the day but not once did a game end in stalemate with neither team wanting to push forward. Everyone wants to get a kill so some impatient lot would rush off and get themselves killed or give the position away of the enemy while both teams unwittingly crept forward into the inevitable stand off.

And it was great: hiding and hunting. Best multiplayer experience I’ve played bar none.

The best thing about MW2 is that you could potentially play any of the maps like GRAW2 or like Serious Sam. The problem seems to be that most of the time you’ll be playing with random people and you’ll never get either one type of game or the other (depending on what you want to play). I’ve played games on MW2 where there has been a loads of snipers on either team and it was fantastic - I’ve played Hardcore HQ on Rust and everyone seemed to have a rocket launcher and it was insane fun.

At the end of the day, it’s horses for courses. Camping is fun. Running and gunning is also fun. One game cannot however sustain both styles together without someone getting cheesed off in the process. Unfortunately everyone seems to be playing just one game.

I know this isn’t a thread about MW2 but there is a whole list of other problems with that multiplayer game (The endless single player quest for titles and emblems and not being able to turn off explosives, being my pet hates)(an explosives “off” playlist would be fantastic – keep on killstreaks though) but you and I know that the best games are with like-minded friends and MW2 is great in that the private matches are so versatile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:08 
Gogmagog

I think that the helicopter is overpowered on MW games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 

Zio wrote:
I don't play a whole lot of online games and have never taken any of the CODs for a spin online, but I did go through a fairly heavy patch of playing Killzone 2 online. The whole gameplay style and map design in that lent itself very well to camping, as you'd naturally want a few guys on your team taking up sniping positions by your enemy's mission objectives to provide proper defence.

However, the maps were all designed in such a way that for all the nooks and crannies in each map, there was never really anywhere that didn't have multiple access points, so the trick was to simply learn where people were camping and approach from an angle they wouldn't be expecting or weren't adequately covering.

That was a fucking great game online... Might have to dust off the PS3 when I get in!

Killzone 2 was really good! Unfortunately when I was playing it, nobody else was. Plus, no headset = :(

It had some clever ideas. For example, you'd play on one map for around half an hour, and the game modes would changed within the game. The winning team overall would be the team who won 3/5 game modes for example. And like I said above, camping in a game like that doesn't bother me - they can do it all they like because they're usually in the minority and they're not preventing my team from completing objectives for their own selfish score bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 

Zio wrote:

Killzone 2 was really good! Unfortunately when I was playing it, nobody else was. Plus, no headset = :(

It had some clever ideas. For example, you'd play on one map for around half an hour, and the game modes would change within the game. The winning team overall would be the team who won 3/5 game modes for example. And like I said above, camping in a game like that doesn't bother me - they can do it all they like because they're usually in the minority and they're not preventing my team from completing objectives for their own selfish score bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 

Ian Fairies wrote:
I gotta agree with Grim…

There’s nothing wrong with hiding and shooting. One of my favourite multiplayer games of all time (which no one bloody plays) is Ghost Recon AW 2. The guns were lethal from any distance and a quick brap-brap was all that was needed to take down any opposing player. Games invariably play out with people creeping around the maps, holding down choke points and nudging forward to get the best spots. Games were tense affairs looking down the scope of your assault rifle (since assault rifles had just as decent scope as any sniper) trying to spot someone trying to cross open ground or nudge out from behind a wall.

It was all team deathmatch back in the day but not once did a game end in stalemate with neither team wanting to push forward. Everyone wants to get a kill so some impatient lot would rush off and get themselves killed or give the position away of the enemy while both teams unwittingly crept forward into the inevitable stand off.

And it was great: hiding and hunting. Best multiplayer experience I’ve played bar none.

The best thing about MW2 is that you could potentially play any of the maps like GRAW2 or like Serious Sam. The problem seems to be that most of the time you’ll be playing with random people and you’ll never get either one type of game or the other (depending on what you want to play). I’ve played games on MW2 where there has been a loads of snipers on either team and it was fantastic - I’ve played Hardcore HQ on Rust and everyone seemed to have a rocket launcher and it was insane fun.

At the end of the day, it’s horses for courses. Camping is fun. Running and gunning is also fun. One game cannot however sustain both styles together without someone getting cheesed off in the process. Unfortunately everyone seems to be playing just one game.

I know this isn’t a thread about MW2 but there is a whole list of other problems with that multiplayer game (The endless single player quest for titles and emblems and not being able to turn off explosives, being my pet hates)(an explosives “off” playlist would be fantastic – keep on killstreaks though) but you and I know that the best games are with like-minded friends and MW2 is great in that the private matches are so versatile.

I agree as well, and I think most people do. As above, I think MW2's problem is killstreaks making "teammates" selfish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 
Gogmagog

Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat source had good objective based gameplay which kinda got around the camping problem, the game modes made the teams constantly push push push and going from 1-4 down to win 5-0 on a flag based map is excellent fun. Although it seems to be only me who ever played it.

Bad Girl

Zio wrote:
Killzone 2 online...That was a fucking great game...

It makes me freaking angry that you wouldn't find enough people to play the 2 map packs which looked like cracking fun. Turned out that only a few maps got regular rotation.

Still, no doubt it was awesome though. Some of the perks were brilliant as well - especially the disguise! Every multiplayer game needs that. God bless you TF2 for that idea.

MaliA wrote:
Day of Defeat and Day of Defeat source had good objective based gameplay which kinda got around the camping problem, the game modes made the teams constantly push push push and going from 1-4 down to win 5-0 on a flag based map is excellent fun. Although it seems to be only me who ever played it.

I played the original but went back to CS after a few months. Didn't bother with Source because I was probably playing WoW or something. :belm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:13 
Gogmagog

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I played the original but went back to CS after a few months. Didn't bother with Source because I was probably playing WoW or something. :belm:

Quote:
Day of Defeat began as a modification for the game Half Life, before being updated to run on Half Life 2’s Source engine. It is a multiplayer first person shooter set in World War Two. Players are on either the Axis or Allied team and the object of the game is to secure objectives. These objectives can be as simple as running over a flag, turning it to your sides colour, to planting a bomb on an installation, be it a tank, radio mask flak gun. Some flags take a longer time to capture, and some require two people to do so. There are many, many different maps.

Each map is well designed, with several objectives and several routes to each objective. Players will find themselves fighting uphill to take control of a town, fighting in narrow streets in the rain or enjoying the sunshine in a small hamlet. This creates for fast and flowing game play, with central objectives changing hands many times over the course of a round. Players can choose which side they wish to be on, but there’s an "Auto Assign" to keep the teams balanced in numbers at least, although, somewhat predictibly, this tends to put you on the Axis side. Some maps appear at first to favour one side over the other but this doesn't detract too much from the fun factor in the game play. The design of the maps make for fierce fighting over areas that allow an obvious tactical advantage, and taking and holding one of these is a fun and engaging challenge.

If you end up dying, you respawn back at your base in a short time. The respawn counter constantly ticks down, from about 20 seconds or so, meaning many people respawn at the same time, adding a feeling of waves of reinforcements appearing. Players score points by capturing these objectives, or preventing the capture of the, and these are more important than a good kills to death ratio. A typical round can be over in seconds or last the whole of the, usual, 20 minutes until the map changes.

There are classes of soldier to play, from accurate, powerful but slow loading rifles like the K98, to heavy machine guns like the MG44 which is useful to provide covering fire over an area to prevent access. Overall, the classes are fairly well balanced, and with there being nothing that is obviously overpowered, the limits on the number of each class per team helps this greatly. The difference in classes also changes how the play plays the game. In the Assault classes (MP40s and Thompson guns) running forward to capture points is your job, being the first one through a door way whilst the machine gunners and snipers are covering the flanks and the riflemen follow you to mop up and hold position until you respawn. Players also get grenades, which either explode or create smoke. Which grenades you get does depend on your class. A fun option is to choose the "random" class and return with a different weapon new each time you respawn. Aiming is the now standard “expanding Crosshair” device, whereas if you are running, your shots will be less accurate than if you were standing still, crouching or lying down. Deploying some weapons onto a biped is possible, giving great accuracy but a limited field of fire. Also, this makes the user vulnerable as they cannot move until they have un-deployed the weapon, which takes time, and as a fizzing grenade lands near them, time is an issue. Grenades can be thrown back, as they have a five second fuse. However the player can choose to ‘cook’ the grenade but holding it for a time before throwing it, making it explode sooner.

Graphically, it is beginning to show its age now, however, the speed of the game means you don't often notice this, as you are more concerned where those shots are coming from, does your machine gunner have the alleyway covered and where’s the backup? However, the smoke grenades do cause a bit of slowdown on your correspondents computer, but this is probably due to the age of the hardware, rather than the game itself. The different maps do have a varied visual style, and the Source engine handles objects thrown about by explosions and gunfire well. Sound is useful, as you run about there's a satisfying "clump" sounds which changes according to which surface you are walking over. Players can use these audio cues to get an early warning of an approaching enemy, and get ready for him as he comes around the corner. Shooting off a clip from an M1 carbine makes an appealing "PING!" sound, which is a nice touch, and the heavier machine guns are very loud and very bassy.

Overall, despite the game showing its age in both the graphics and the declining playerbase, it’s a solid enough shooter which you can play for short bursts, and those that play it do seem to be more mature than the titles dealing with more modern warfare (Servers tend to have their own communities with websites and take their admin roles seriously), and I would recommend it for both the causal and hardcore FPSer.

(Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I dunno where it stores the screenshots..)

EDIT: Here's my stats from one server. I'm always first over the top and into the line of fire. "Forwards, men! You didn't want that pension anyway!"

:belm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Nemmie wrote:
I had already moved on to something a little more balanced.

this is the point, more balanced is entirely subjective. I don't think COD:MW2 is unbalanced, rarely will a sniper come top of the kills list, in fact in the games where there is loads of snipers, the game often times out. Secondly, (this isn't aimed at Nemmie) it really is a case of if you don't like it don't play it, UT and Quake 3 are completely different games to COD. Cod is (was) aimed at realism so there is going to be snipers, because they exist IRL. in a decent team you would have snipers as support cover, allowing the front men to push forward with great ease. This also allows a stable spawn base (in games where you spawn near team mates). However, in objective games this is fucking annoying as you spawn miles away from the objective. Again MW2 overcomes this with the tactical insertion. Furthermore, as Gilly said, the maps in MW2 are designed well. if there is a sniper spot, it generally doesn't overlook a large area, if it does, it is in the open so you are easily shot down. As such, I:
1) feel MW2 to be pretty balanced
2) feel IW have made a decent attempt to minimise the "negative impact" snipers have on the game
3) snipers exist, get over it
4) being hit with a 50cal bullet almost anywhere would kill you.
5) sniper rifles are over powered wrt their aiming and speed of movement - you should not be able to jump up and down with a 5 ft sniper at your eye and make a kill!
6) don't play objective based games where a team has to defend ground, then complain because they are camping around the area they have to defend - it makes you sound like an idiot.
7) I like sniping.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:

Ahem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 

I don't think sniping has anything to do with it being unbalanced. I'm more concerned about ridiculous shit like heartbeat sensors, the knife-warping commando perk, noobtubes and ridiculous akimbo shotguns. It's a goldmine of cheap kills.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Ahem.

I'm not sure "in the ear defenders" can count.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I don't think sniping has anything to do with it being unbalanced. I'm more concerned about ridiculous shit like heartbeat sensors, the knife-warping commando perk, noobtubes and ridiculous akimbo shotguns. It's a goldmine of cheap kills.

Wait - is that a real thing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:22 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Ahem.

I'm not sure "in the ear defenders" can count.

I've never seen a real american, so just thought they all looked like that, and he was unadorned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Was a fucking 8) moment, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 

Grim... wrote:

Wait - is that a real thing?

Ha! No it has been doctored by some punk, but it's funny :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 
Sleepyhead

Killstreaks don't encourage camping in MW2 (unless you're defending an objective). It's exceedingly hard to get a big one (wahey!) without moving, unless you're playing against buffoons.

Also, I'd say that the only balancing issue I have with MW2 is with the amount of explosives used, and the One Man Army exploit that allow you unlimited amounts of 'em.

But most of the other things are eminently counterable. Use 'Ninja' to avoid heartbeat sensors (which only really work against people who are camping anyway... you should like that!), play Hardcore or shoot more accurately to counter Commando, and keep people at a distance if you don't want to get shot by shotguns (a single SPAS-12 with foregrip is better than Akimbo shotties IMO anyway).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'd totally play that game :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:36 

Curiosity wrote:
Killstreaks don't encourage camping in MW2 (unless you're defending an objective). It's exceedingly hard to get a big one (wahey!) without moving, unless you're playing against buffoons.

Seriously? I really really strongly disagree with that. Every objective gametype is full of selfish camper-types who only care about their killstreaks. You must be playing with very different people to me, but as far as I'm concerned, the objective games in MW2 (i.e. the ones that are actually fun), are a complete waste of my time. Compared to playing Counter-Strike on a half-decent server, or even a game of Halo 3, it's like playing with fucking myg0t every day or something.

And to reiterate, I don't mind camping, I can deal with campers, and sometimes it's a necessary strategy. I just don't like the 5/6 people on my team sat waiting for people to run past so they can shotgun them in the face and call in a killstreak, often somewhere completely removed from the objective.

For example on Fuel, the people who camp over in the desert bit when we're playing Demolition. Neither of the bombsites are anywhere near the desert section, so why are half of my team hiding in a fucking rock sniping the odd straggler when I'm getting my arsed handed to me trying to plant the bomb?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've not played MW2 - is a killstreak "the number of people you can shoot without dying"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 

Grim... wrote:
I've not played MW2 - is a killstreak "the number of people you can shoot without dying"?

Yeah, but you're rewarded for it. Like for 3 kills you get the UAV, 7 kills you'll get a helicopter, etc, which helps you rack up even more kills. 25 you get a nuclear bomb. No joke. So you can see why people would want to avoid dying as much as possible.

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next