Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ] 
 Post subject: Horrible messages on Xbox Live
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 

I'm getting mean messages from randoms on Live whilst minding my own beeswax playing MW2. I also get those fucking 'join our cheaty lobby' things every 10 minutes.

Is there an option to block private messages from randoms without blocking off in-game mic chat with randoms which is occasionally helpful? I know you can block the lot, I did that before, but missed the in-game LOLZ.

I feel I already know the answer is a firm no, so in advance, fuck you Microsoft you short-sighted cunts.

Post subject: Re: Horrible messages on Xbox Live
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:06 
I bet you read for fun.

Nope. Can't block one without blocking the other. I puzzled that out after a particularly rough week where a Bioshock 2 clan called "iTz" started sending me harassing messages because I told one of their members to fuck off when he told me to do something to a particular part of his body that I wouldn't touch if we were the last two people on Earth.

I tried just blocking all voice and text communications (why are they lumped together?) with strangers, but then I felt like I was flying blind in matches where I needed to know my teammates locations and other things. Boo-urns.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:54 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Wouldn't help for the Bioshock stuff , but as i play Jam-Maker 2 I also get those on a fairly regular basis , and they do seem to have switched to using voicemessages rather than typing for some reason (you can hear that they are whiney kids then)

Anyway - report them and then block them - when Microsoft catch up with them they get their score reset and generally a ban of some description.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Yeah, report them and avoid them. That's what I do as soon as someone even looks at me funny. I'm not a prick to people on real life so I don't see why people should get away with it online.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
Yeah, report them and avoid them. That's what I do as soon as someone even looks at me funny. I'm not a prick to people on real life so I don't see why people should get away with it online.

We shouldn't foist our values on less developed countries. America will catch up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I was considering unblocking communications last night on XBL. Mainly because I was feeling particularly stupid after finishing work, and wanted reassurance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:49 
Chinny chin chin

Our mystery correspondent called it right:

http://uptojump.co.uk/?p=1392

While playing with Beex'ers is fun, playing with randomers is seriously shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 
Participant in dramatic games

usually i get lots of nonsense in the first 5 mins of entering live; i thought it was via msn, but now i'm not sure..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 
Hibernating Druid

Sometimes Mr Dave calls my 360 a whore.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:52 
Paws for thought

chinnyhill10 wrote:

This. I have randomers switched off for comms purposes. And generally try to avoid them anyway, as they try and find particulary shit ways to play.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 

TheVision wrote:

zaphod79 wrote:
Wouldn't help for the Bioshock stuff , but as i play Jam-Maker 2 I also get those on a fairly regular basis , and they do seem to have switched to using voicemessages rather than typing for some reason (you can hear that they are whiney kids then)

Anyway - report them and then block them - when Microsoft catch up with them they get their score reset and generally a ban of some description.

I always do, it's just incredibly tedious.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 

Mr Dave wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

This. I have randomers switched off for comms purposes. And generally try to avoid them anyway, as they try and find particulary shit ways to play.

Like I say, I've tried this and I don't think it's the answer. Although randomers can be tossers, it's only the minority I find. In a game of Domination, for example, you're severely limiting yourself if you can't chat to the people on your team. I find the people who send you messages join a game to "harvest" everyone's tags, then quit and message everyone, so it's not actually the people I'm playing with who deserve to be blocked, for the most part. Of course, you sometimes get the idiots who sing or make belming noises down the mic, but they can be blocked individually.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 
Hibernating Druid

Sometimes Perkies says I have a shiny head.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 

I alternate between blocking & hearing them, most of the randoms are alright, but there's still a significant amount of cunts.

Anyway, to avoid getting banzorzed myself, I've had them all blocked since the last time me & Nickachu got drunk and abused anyone who said anything vaguely offensive (it started with gentle ribbing & if they kept going then we wouldn't stop till they started crying & left).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 
Hibernating Druid

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
sometimes get the idiots who sing or make belming noises down the mic

Just take Myps off your friends list.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:19 

http://forums.xbox.com/33571007/ShowPost.aspx

Done post on the official forums. If anyone else wants to chime in to make it more noticeable, be my guest. Not that it's ever going to be noticed by anyone who gives a shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 14:11 
Wullie wrote:

Anyway, to avoid getting banzorzed myself, I've had them all blocked since the last time me & Nickachu got drunk and abused anyone who said anything vaguely offensive (it started with gentle ribbing & if they kept going then we wouldn't stop till they started crying & left).

When on earth did this happen? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 18:29 
I bet you read for fun.

chinnyhill10 wrote:

Yeah, but I don't really know people to play with online and I still want to play, sometimes. :(

Horrible messages from strangers were actually what landed me here BETEO. A few months ago when I started playing Bioshock 2 online (it was my first prolonged experience with playing online with strangers), I complained that people were awful, and Gaywood and Danielle/Fanny Stupid suggested I come over here. I made an account and lurked for awhile.

Maybe a month and a half ago or so, it got pretty bad. I'd found one friend to play with out of the unwashed masses of Xbox Live. He's gay, and he has a (self-admitted) stereotypically "gay voice." I'm a girl and I definitely sound like a girl. We had to start making our own parties if we wanted to talk because the moment either of us would start to talk in a lobby, the microphones would start to click on and the slurs would start to fly. Then, in-game, other players would gun for us and send us messages like, "Told you cunts can't keep up with me." Or "How do you like that, fag?"

We started making our own parties to chat in and things got a lot better, but mostly only for my friend. Guys still sent me messages (I guess because a chick is easier to spot than a gay guy, based on profiles?) telling me I sucked and should go back to the kitchen, calling me a cunt/pussy/whore/slut/etc., or (if I was doing better than them) that I was hiding behind my team's skirts like a bitch. Sometimes, people (men) would send me friend request after friend request and then angry messages if I declined. I blocked everybody who sent me a harassing message, but I felt like I was trying to empty the ocean with a spoon. I played every day for a bit and at the peak, was getting between five and ten unpleasant messages per night in addition to the nice messages -- and some people do send nice messages, in all fairness.

My gamertag used to be shoesonwrong, but I had to change it because three separate people googled my gamertag and found me. They started sending me Facebook messages and emails that were either overtly cruel or sexual -- sometimes both. 8) I had to change privacy settings all over the place and change my gamertag to make it harder for xbox weirdos to find me.

That's when I finally decided to come here because I figured that maybe I could find some people to play online with who wouldn't make me want stop playing games.

I completely locked down every Xbox setting for awhile, but it fucked up my game tracking with Raptr, and I kind of liked being able to see gameplay history over time. So I'm torn. After my most recent and unsettling bout of xboxers finding me in the real world, I haven't really been playing online too much, anyway, so it's kind of moot at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 18:32 
Paws for thought

Men Boys are lovely, aren't they?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 18:46 
I bet you read for fun.

Mr Dave wrote:
Men Boys are lovely, aren't they?

In all fairness, too, the absolute worst message I ever got was from a woman -- she sent me a message that about made my ears fall off. I think the others just happen to be from dudes because xbox live is an overwhelmingly male arena that lends itself well to homophobic, sexist, racist, ignorant, entitled, alpha-male, teenage bullshit.

Sometimes funny things come out of it, too. Like one guy who called me a "Pizza-faced, cunt, slutbag, whore." And then proceeded to finish his message with, "I bet you read for fun."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 18:48 
Skillmeister

Well if you go around with chunks of pineapple and pepperoni on your face, what else would they call you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:27 

Lasagne face is right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:33 
Unpossible!

"I bet you read for fun"

Without a doubt, the best non-insult ever

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:36 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Christ. Miss Malabar never has trouble like that. I guess that's because she's angry and foul-mouthed. I certainly wouldn't risk sending her a horrible message.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:40 
Unpossible!

MrsP has been fine too. She only ever plays Peggle though. She does have a very obviously female gamertag (mrsparry if anyone wants to add her)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:40 

DavPaz wrote:
"I bet you read for fun"

:this: I particularly like that he built up to this, like it was the final sign off to really seal the deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:43 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Done post on the official forums. If anyone else wants to chime in to make it more noticeable, be my guest. Not that it's ever going to be noticed by anyone who gives a shit.

I like how they totally miss the point :-)

As to horrible messages , I know that Jen changed her username because people used to single her out - very strange hearing people insulting her and then she wins the rounds (since she's a much better player than most)

Shoes , your problem with looking for people here might just be timecrossover , since most people will play early evening / night here which may not work out for you timewise (although adding people to your friends list does also give you the highscore chasing /comparing options for all the other games.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:45 
Excellent Member

I don't game much anymore but birds on xbox do give me a lob on I must admit. The thought of an unwashed woman sat in dirty underwear with the curtains closed playing shooting games is what does it for me.

Powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:47 
Unpossible!

StanOgdensForeskin wrote:
I don't game much anymore but birds on xbox do give me a lob on I must admit. The thought of an unwashed woman sat in dirty underwear with the curtains closed playing shooting games is what does it for me.

Powerful.

Helpful. Are you for real?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:47 

Engineering! More RAM to the ignore list!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:49 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:

Powerful.

Am i fuck for real. Just thought it was mildly amusing and on topic. Please carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:54 
I bet you read for fun.

zaphod79 wrote:
Shoes , your problem with looking for people here might just be timecrossover , since most people will play early evening / night here which may not work out for you timewise (although adding people to your friends list does also give you the highscore chasing /comparing options for all the other games.)

I actually do most of my work at night. (I'm a lady of the night, you see.) (No, I am working on a book and find that I'm currently writing best between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., my time) It means I am up late, sleep in, and then have the afternoons/early evenings to tool around a bit after I get my shit done in the late mornings. I'm five hours behind you guys, right? I think it could actually work out fine. If I ever end up playing the same games as anyone here, that is. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:57 
I bet you read for fun.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
"I bet you read for fun"

:this: I particularly like that he built up to this, like it was the final sign off to really seal the deal.

I imagine the poor guy trying to puzzle out street signs and restaurant menus, damning those of us who waste our time reading for fun.

I'm also changing my member title to, "I bet you read for fun."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:59 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:

Powerful.

Am i fuck for real. Just thought it was mildly amusing and on topic. Please carry on.

Awesome. I reckon you and I will be firm friends

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 20:06 
Skillmeister

Gill's partner Jen had grief from arses on xbox because she was recognisably an wimmin from her gamertag, if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 20:39 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Powerful.

Awesome. I reckon you and I will be firm friends

I hope so. I like the letter 'Z'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:33 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

DavPaz wrote:
(mrsparry if anyone wants to add her)

They probably read it as Mr Sparry and think "oooh, he must be a well 'ard boxer, I'll watch my step around him"

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:47 

zaphod79 wrote:

I like how they totally miss the point :-)

That place is just incredible! It's like the CBeebies official forum or something. Imagine being a moderator there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 22:30 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Mr Parry, how very derivative of you!

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 

Wow, the official forums get worse. I've just been having a look around and it turns out there are a number of threads - in the wish list section - suggesting, once a month, adding the ability to swap gamerscore for Microsoft Points. What the fuck? These people are idiots. I'd be very surprised if anyone paid any attention to that forum at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I read something about paying to get people banned...

I only skimmed it but the idea was, pay 20 points towards getting someone banned and if so many people did it (I think they said 3) then the person would be banned from Xbox live.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 

Haha! Bloody heck. It speaks volumes that all of the suggestions on the forum are ludicrous and my sensible one has been essentially met with "huh?", and "you know you can block people, right?".

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]