Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 20 - The important thing is...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 0:23 

KovacsC wrote:
had a great day at Alton Towers. 13 is awesome went on twice.

26, then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 0:25 
Chinny chin chin

Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
had a great day at Alton Towers. 13 is awesome went on twice.

26, then.

Ah good, you are better. Excellent.

We were worried we were going to have to put Craster in a dress to make up the female quota.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 0:40 
Excellent Member

I have decided that all this Raoul Moat "sympathy" is due to Anti-hero Syndrome. It's a bit like Helsinki Syndrome - but different.

People read stories, watch films and otherwise engage with the "Anti-hero" in fiction. This is fine and good, so long as it remains fiction. However, when the supposed News reports such real events in such a way as to blur the distinction between fact and fiction, the average thicky can't tell the difference and so said thicky sides with the Anti-hero.

It's not a new fixation, either, although it occurs more quickly now thanks to technology. Ned Kelly, Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, Capone... all the same phenomena.

It might also be called Public Enemy Syndrome - that sounds more TM'able.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 0:51 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
But anyway. On the plus side, I recently heard talking of scrapping the idiotic target (even taking on board the fact that most targets for public services are inherently idiotic) of 50% of people going to university. I'd imagine that would have been impossible even if it weren't actively dropped anyway, seeing as fewer than 50% of people can afford it.

Magic stats!

It says that 51% of girls went to uni in the article AnonX linked to, I think.

Yeah, and plenty of them couldn't afford it. Even taking into account the many who will leave anyway (not least because some never really wanted to go in the first place, but were strong-armed into it by their schools) for whatever reason, enough students leave with little but debt and stress to make me highly suspicious of the whole thing. And that's before we get onto whatever the coalition are going to do with fees for next year.

Anonymous X wrote:
My girlfriend differs in opinion. She thinks it's plain mental that people can leave education completely at 16 in this country. When she's had her sisters and other relatives stay over, she's told them that most British people leave education at 16 and go out to work straight away without an apprenticeship. The response is always stunned shock, but they find that as an explanation why most of the population they encounter here are uneducated alcohol-abusing barbarians. :s

Still, I know what you mean, S.A. I found secondary school, latter secondary school, years 10 and 11 appalling, as it was impossible to learn properly a lot of the time. So many kids there didn't want to learn, so were disruptive and affected the outcomes for those of us who wanted to continue learning after 16. I enjoyed doing A-levels at an FE college so much as it was in an environment conductive to learning in a way that secondary school wasn't, as we were all voluntarily there. I'd hate A-levels to end up like GCSE Plus.

That's exactly it. In principle, more education is good. But not when that education is little but exam-schooling, box-ticking shite to begin with. It just becomes more of a bad thing, making the unbothered even less bothered, the disillusioned more disillusioned, and everyone else crowded out of any decent teaching time by the former.

NervousPete wrote:
(V for Vendetta stuff)

I'll be honest - my opinion of the film sank to almost zero with the very first lines V spoke. HEY LOOK HE IS CALLED V AND HE IS SAYING LOTS OF V WORDS LOL.

Vuck off, more like.

End of an Era wrote:
Saint's Row 1 & 2 are much better than the latest crop of GTA releases. Play them.

:this:

GTA is an increasingly impressive technological achievement, and usually well-written, etc. etc. With each release, though, they're becoming less fun. Saints Row tries to be fun and nothing else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 

sinister agent wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It says that 51% of girls went to uni in the article AnonX linked to, I think.

Yeah, and plenty of them couldn't afford it. Even taking into account the many who will leave anyway (not least because some never really wanted to go in the first place, but were strong-armed into it by their schools) for whatever reason, enough students leave with little but debt and stress to make me highly suspicious of the whole thing.

100% agree. I always feel depressed that some of the best students at my university (a Russell Group institution) seemed to drop out due to debt and the stress the ongoing debtedness caused. Unfortunately the state student loan isn't enough to live off by itself, and at a Russell Group university the workload can often be double or triple the amount of exams and coursework at one of the post-1992 universities, so working too much part-time on the side can be hazardous to degree success. It's all a hugely fucked-up state of affairs weighted against non-rich people, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:32 

lasermink wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Craster wrote:
Another bloody mouse at 6am, and this one was a jumper.

Craster, 6am, yesterday.

On the subject of Disney's flagship rodent character, earlier this evening I played Castle of Illusion (starring Mickey Mouse) for the first time in years. It's aged pretty terribly... now, I can see why it was popular at the time, Sonic had not yet arrived on the Mega Drive so a vaguely competent and colourful platform game would've been welcomed. In 2010 it feels really sluggish even on a 60Hz Mega Drive, is awkward to control and seems more repetitive than a lot of 8-bit platformers that pre-dated it. CoI just doesn't warrant the 'classic' status that some people misguidedly give it, but admittedly I'd argue the same about the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. ;)

You should try the Master System version. It always seemed like a much better designed game to me. The first boss is a bitch, but apart from that I remember it as a pretty amazing game. It may have fared better in the aging process.

Edit: I'm talking about Castle of Illusion here, not Sonic.

Hah, I would agree if you meant the original Sonic the Hedgehog. ;) The Master System incarnation is more satisfying in many ways. More of a straightforward game, one that doesn't try to be flashy. MD Sonic's a bit like Sega's arcade games such as Space Harrier and Outrun; great at showing off the hardware, but the gameplay is shallow.

Anyway, Castle of Illusion, I'll give that a go sometime tomorrow with whatever Master System emulators at available for the Wii...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 
Paws for thought

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Just been playing GTA.

Can someone clear this up for me. Am I playing a game or some annoying Japanese shite where I have the tedium of real life inflected on me. All I want are some guns and action and so far all I've done is take a woman bowling and then been stabbed to death by a drug dealer. Is this actually "Advanced Brian Tilsley Simulator"?

And now you know why I offered you my commiserations when you bought it.

There are a whole raft of GTA-alikes that are fun and worth having. GTA4 is, sadly, not one of them. (And I'd imagine that it's also the most expensive, aside from Red Dead Redemption)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 
Peculiar, yet lovely

It's rather telling that the most entertainment I got out of GTA4 was, quite literally, a fat man falling over.

It was fucking hilarious, mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 
Ready for action

End of an Era wrote:
I have decided that all this Raoul Moat "sympathy" is due to Anti-hero Syndrome. It's a bit like Helsinki Syndrome - but different.

People read stories, watch films and otherwise engage with the "Anti-hero" in fiction. This is fine and good, so long as it remains fiction. However, when the supposed News reports such real events in such a way as to blur the distinction between fact and fiction, the average thicky can't tell the difference and so said thicky sides with the Anti-hero.

It's not a new fixation, either, although it occurs more quickly now thanks to technology. Ned Kelly, Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, Capone... all the same phenomena.

It might also be called Public Enemy Syndrome - that sounds more TM'able.

Did you see the link BrokenTV put on Twitter? It was some radio talk show guy interviewing the girl who started the Raoul Moat facebook group. She is a total eejit. Worth a listen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 
Gogmagog

Interesting article in The Spectator on why Sarah Palin probably is gearing up for a 2012 Presidential run, which is good as I really want the US to commence a bombardment from the air of railways somewhere foreign, and then get a US railway company to get the contract to fix them up again, and there to be a plague or something which means that people will need drugs and will stay off the streets, watching films and playing with electronic toys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 

Anonymous X wrote:
lasermink wrote:
Anonymous X wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Craster wrote:
Another bloody mouse at 6am, and this one was a jumper.

Craster, 6am, yesterday.

On the subject of Disney's flagship rodent character, earlier this evening I played Castle of Illusion (starring Mickey Mouse) for the first time in years. It's aged pretty terribly... now, I can see why it was popular at the time, Sonic had not yet arrived on the Mega Drive so a vaguely competent and colourful platform game would've been welcomed. In 2010 it feels really sluggish even on a 60Hz Mega Drive, is awkward to control and seems more repetitive than a lot of 8-bit platformers that pre-dated it. CoI just doesn't warrant the 'classic' status that some people misguidedly give it, but admittedly I'd argue the same about the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. ;)

You should try the Master System version. It always seemed like a much better designed game to me. The first boss is a bitch, but apart from that I remember it as a pretty amazing game. It may have fared better in the aging process.

Edit: I'm talking about Castle of Illusion here, not Sonic.

Hah, I would agree if you meant the original Sonic the Hedgehog. ;) The Master System incarnation is more satisfying in many ways. More of a straightforward game, one that doesn't try to be flashy. MD Sonic's a bit like Sega's arcade games such as Space Harrier and Outrun; great at showing off the hardware, but the gameplay is shallow.

Anyway, Castle of Illusion, I'll give that a go sometime tomorrow with whatever Master System emulators at available for the Wii...

Yeah, I know, the comment holds for Sonic as well. In both cases, I actually played the Game Gear versions. Enjoyed greatly.

The Wii has a great set of emulators. NES/SNES/Master System/Mega Drive are all emulated perfectly. I hope the N64 emulator will be up to scratch one day.

I have been quite addicted to F1 Race on the NES lately. Still haven't completed the hardest level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 
Gogmagog

"How I Met Your Mother" last night was brilliant, as was "The Big Bang Theory".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 
Excellent Member

superdupergill wrote:
Did you see the link BrokenTV put on Twitter? It was some radio talk show guy interviewing the girl who started the Raoul Moat facebook group. She is a total eejit. Worth a listen.

Is that the TalkSport interview? I listened to that just now - I think she rates as one of the most cretinous individuals on the planet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 
Hibernating Druid

What happened last night Wullie? We were smashing our way through after beating that twat with the stallack-tights! Then after the Panzer Dragoony bit, mid shooty bit it said you'd left the party and I couldn't get back to you. Was it Reavers?* Awesome chunk of progress made anyway :metul:

*Am I doing this right?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sonic 1 was much better on the 8-bit consoles than the 16-bit ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 

End of an Era wrote:
It's a bit like Helsinki Syndrome - but different.

I assume you mean Stockholm Syndrome there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

chinnyhill10 wrote:
We were worried we were going to have to put Craster in a dress to make up the female quota.

I don't have to take it back, do I? It's so pretty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You look like a sheep walkin' on its hind legs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Heh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 
Ready for action

End of an Era wrote:
superdupergill wrote:

Is that the TalkSport interview? I listened to that just now - I think she rates as one of the most cretinous individuals on the planet.

Yeah I think that's it. I didn't know what to expect when I listened to it but oh my God is she stupid. There really is no hope for her children.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 
Gogmagog

superdupergill wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
superdupergill wrote:

Yeah I think that's it. I didn't know what to expect when I listened to it but oh my God is she stupid. There really is no hope for her children.

Good fucking lord.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 
Gogmagog

MrsA's work had an intra office open day on Wednesday from 10-3pm where everyone went around finding out what other people did, it was like a garden fete. Today, as they are having a party this evening, the office closes at 3pm.

What are creative types like, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 
Ready for action

MaliA wrote:
MrsA's work had an intra office open day on Wednesday from 10-3pm where everyone went around finding out what other people did, it was like a garden fete. Today, as they are having a party this evening, the office closes at 3pm.

What are creative types like, eh?

I just found out today that my work are having a summer party one Friday in August, so production is stopping early on the Thursday and everyone gets the Friday off to go to this party in a club they've booked out in Glasgow for five hours with a free bar. I'm not going, but it's pretty decent of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 

MaliA wrote:

Good fucking lord.

Goodness above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:16 
Gogmagog

Hi Mimi! Hope that you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Can't put this in the Belmingist things said, as it was in my Flat. However

myp wrote:
Betting on individual football matches is quite easy. I mean, there are only two teams, and there is normally a difference between the two. In reality, there is quite literally no such thing as a two horse race.

I thought this was an ironic statement to draw me into a long winded joke, but no.

Also, at midnight, by text
myp wrote:
I Love you xx

Followed at 9am this morning, by
myp wrote:
Sorry, that was for Ange

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 
Gogmagog

Yesterday's Sun's Page 3 girl had tis to say about teh chicken/egg conundrum:

Quote:
RUTH is thrilled that scientists have worked out the chicken came before the egg. She said: “It seems Aristotle was right when he first presented the paradox. Using the central metaphysical theory of potentiality and actuality was the key for him.”

Chinny chin chin

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
myp wrote:
I Love you xx

I suggest an immediate bath followed by an intensive course of counsilling.

This should help cleanse you:

MaliA wrote:
Yesterday's Sun's Page 3 girl had tis to say about teh chicken/egg conundrum:

Quote:
RUTH is thrilled that scientists have worked out the chicken came before the egg. She said: “It seems Aristotle was right when he first presented the paradox. Using the central metaphysical theory of potentiality and actuality was the key for him.”

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
It's a bit like Helsinki Syndrome - but different.

I assume you mean Stockholm Syndrome there.

The Die Hard quote suited my armchair psychology better :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 
Chinny chin chin

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Can't put this in the Belmingist things said, as it was in my Flat. However

myp wrote:
Betting on individual football matches is quite easy. I mean, there are only two teams, and there is normally a difference between the two. In reality, there is quite literally no such thing as a two horse race.

I did some work for what you might call "professional gamblers" last year including an ex-footballer. They won't touch football matches with a barge pole unless its for "fun". Horse racing is where its at and, for some reason, American football.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
myp wrote:
I Love you xx

Followed at 9am this morning, by
myp wrote:
Sorry, that was for Ange

I IMd my boss the following yesterday:

Quote:
Eggs - for batter.

Obviously meant for an email to the wife, but it confused the fuck out of him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:27 

MaliA wrote:
Hi Mimi! Hope that you are feeling better.

I've been to the doctor, I am not feeling better or happier, and if Craig calls me 'fat-faced torture' one more time I will murder him (it was a line used to describe being around Paul McCartney, which Craig finds hilarious.)

I want to take my coat off but it hurts to lift up my arms, so I am just sitting here hoping that my coat will dissolve or that someone will cut it off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 
Ready for action

:hug: :munkeh:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
I'm not going

Free bar! Not going?!?

8)

Can I be you for the night?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 
Ready for action

Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
I'm not going

Free bar! Not going?!?

8)

Yes you may.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 
baron of techno

:hat:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 
baron of techno

Poor Mimi! Are you Lurgic or something?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Sounds like Lupus.

Hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
I'm not going

Free bar! Not going?!?

8)

Yes you may.

Fucking sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 

Zardoz wrote:
What happened last night Wullie?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2280&start=843

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 
Gogmagog

After being on the phone to sky for the past 90 minutes, changing DSL filters and taking face paltes from sockets, they've decided that my line is "good, according to the test" and the the line quality is "terrible" as is the broadband speed. I established this in the first minute of the phone call, but there we go. Someone will call me back sometime in the future about it.

And the bookcase shelves collapsed on top of me, so I did actually feel the full weight of Blackstone's Criminal law.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:01 
Hibernating Druid

Case dismissed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
Case dismissed.

<groans>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 
Hibernating Druid

:metul:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:35 
Gogmagog

CSIMiami.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

MaliA wrote:
CSIMimi.gif

FTFY

Paging Zardoz.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:50 
Hibernating Druid

Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
CSIMimi.gif

FTFY

Paging Zardoz.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:51 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I'm so glad you exist.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 13:14 

Zardoz wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
MaliA wrote:
CSIMimi.gif

FTFY

Paging Zardoz.

So they found the hat thief?

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2980 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 60  Next