Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 19
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:42 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Zio wrote:
Last night, I went snowboarding again to practice my skills. However, I went late in the evening, after the snow had been made all shitty by a whole weekend day of people skiing and boarding down it. Whilst trying to do a toe-edge turn I hit a large patch of hard, compacted snow and flew off at great speed. I didn't even have time to put my arms out before hitting the ground ribcage first. It properly knocked the wind out of me, requiring one of the marshal guys to help me get my snowboard off and walk me up the slope.

Right now, I feel like I've just been given a pasting by a truck. I can barely fucking move. I'm going to have some lovely bruises when I wake up!

Urgh. How are you this morning?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:43 

See above. Doesn't hurt that much though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:44 
Esoteric

Zio sorry to hear that man. I'm praying I dont have a wreck on the BMX 'cos I know I won't get on it again.

It's net curtain day. Six months they have been up and they're pristine. Now when we lived in London? full of filth after six months. Still at least it gets rid of the dust in them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 

Zio wrote:

Ah, funny how that feature never works when you actually care that someone's posted before you.

And to answer your question: erm. Go to see your doctor at some point if it still looks weird.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:57 
EvilTrousers

I set fire to my hair last night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Trousers wrote:

How on earth did you manage that?!? Were you in a rage because I'm beating you on the Afterburner Climax high score table?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:09 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:
I'm beating you on the Afterburner Climax high score table?

I noticed that. I'm assuming it's a glitch. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:13 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

devilman wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I'm beating you on the Afterburner Climax high score table?

I noticed that. I'm assuming it's a glitch. ;)

I can't imagine it'll last long...

I don't think I've ever been as sweaty when I saw my score creeping up! That's what online leaderboards will do to you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 
EvilTrousers

TheVision wrote:
Trousers wrote:

How on earth did you manage that?!? Were you in a rage because I'm beating you on the Afterburner Climax high score table?

Flambeéing under the influence of wine. Also completely fried our oven extractor fan. I am a tit.

On Afterburner Climax I've only had a couple of goes on Score Attack - I've been playing with loads of EX options in Arcade modes and going for the cheevos. I'll have a crack at Score Attack later today see if I can give you some competition.

Edit : That should do it....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:42 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bugger... At least I'm second!

Second comes right after first!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 13:19 

Malabar Front wrote:
Zio wrote:

Ah, funny how that feature never works when you actually care that someone's posted before you.

And to answer your question: erm. Go to see your doctor at some point if it still looks weird.

Heh, yeah, I may do if it's still hurty after a few days. I don't think for one second that I've done anything remotely serious though, just bruises. In a way, I'm quite glad it happened before I started getting overconfident.

I'm still thinking about going along tomorrow lunchtime too, as it'll be dead quiet and the snow will be lovely and powdery. The problem I'm having is my toe-edge turning, I keep overbalancing. I'm a regular stance person, so when I toe-edge turn, my body ends up facing up the slope. The whole problem I'm having is that rather than keep looking where I'm going, I keep ending up looking up the slope, then badly losing control.

I think worse than the fall last night was the marshal coming up to me and saying "Er, you can actually snowboard, can't you?" :'(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 13:51 
Worst

kalmar wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Aye, £2.50 isn't bad really. I just assumed everyone owned a hacksaw though :D

:this:

Everyone should own a hacksaw.

You don't own Hacksaw; Hacksaw pwns u!
Hooooo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 14:09 
Esoteric

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 15:49 

I saw a picture the other day, completely by accident on some site or another, that bothered, bordered on disturbed me a little, and I have tried to dismiss it from my mind but it keeps coming back to me. I can't tell if it was real or photoshopped, but it made me feel a bit sad and distressed.

It was of a two-legged cat. I've put links below, but I give fair WARNING that they are pictures of two-legged cats. Not horrible, but strange, and two legged through deformity rather than after an accident (if not photochopped). Can anyone tell if they are real photos?
http://incredimazing.com/static/media/2 ... legcat.jpg
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Rando ... ed_cat.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:03 

Mimi, boom:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

It's some nice photoshopping on all three of those images you linked. That's the only one I could find the original for though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:12 

Oh! Well, that solves it, then. I have no idea HOW you managed to find the original, but that is ace.

See, I tried to think of it logically, about the point of balance and where the cats internal organs got to, but what got to me was that two of those pictures showed cats without ears, and nothing mentioned the lack of ears, so it made it seem to my tiny brain that it might be a genetically linked deformity, but something that wasn't mentioned as it paled next to the two-leggedness.

Stupid people, photochopping cats in half.

Thanks, Doc :kiss:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:17 
Excellent Member

Very bad tornado in the Mississippi, up to a mile wide at times and travelled over 150 miles. Could be an F5 which are super rare on the chart that goes from F1-F5. They've only just started picking up the pieces. Report here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/weather/04/2 ... tml?hpt=C1

What's stunning is the footage of the inside of the house that's had its roof ripped off and a wall torn away, and yet the kitchen on the other side of where that wall used to be - the microwave, crockery and appliances are still tidily in place with everything still hung on the walls. Weird.

EDIT: This doesn't mean that the tornado was on the ground all that 150 mile track, but probably kept disappearing and reappearing. It all came from one super-cell though.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:29 

Mimi wrote:
I have no idea HOW you managed to find the original, but that is ace.
Mad skills.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 16:33 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Oh! Well, that solves it, then. I have no idea HOW you managed to find the original, but that is ace.

See, I tried to think of it logically, about the point of balance and where the cats internal organs got to, but what got to me was that two of those pictures showed cats without ears, and nothing mentioned the lack of ears, so it made it seem to my tiny brain that it might be a genetically linked deformity, but something that wasn't mentioned as it paled next to the two-leggedness.

Stupid people, photochopping cats in half.

Thanks, Doc :kiss:

Perhaps it shows the next-evolutionary leap for cats?

Anyway, glad there aren't any stunted moggies out there. I thought the internet rule was for cats to have a good time?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 17:08 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mad skills.

Woah, voodoo. Same pile as Shazam.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 19:10 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Neighbour's cat walked into the house again. He had trouble eating and even sniffing food out right under his nose. So I looked and noticed he was smelling bad, and it turns out he's got some kind of infection in his mouth or jaw, I couldn't get a good look. Poor little bugger's a million years old and his back legs are nearly gone. He's obviously had enough, and we all know what the vet would say.

Telling your elderly neighbour that his late wife's cat has pretty much had it = not the greatest thing I've had to do.

Poor Tony :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 19:19 
Gogmagog

That fire in Buxton is pretty neg.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 19:32 
Ready for action

ARRRGHRGRHRHRGHRGRHRHRHRGRRH!

Just finished the second last series of Lost after my Sky+ box wiped them because I hadn't marked them as Keep so I had to borrow the dvds of my friend.

I've done the same thing again and lost the first three episodes of the last series :'(

Where can I aquire Series 6, episodes 1, 2 and 3, as soon as humanly possible?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5331101/
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5331123/
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5350536/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:21 
Sleepyhead

I'm a massive pile of frustrated procrastination.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Bah.

Acquired new old car yesterday, and Ali's brother gave us his satnav with it. Only, it doesnt work. Ran a full reinstall of all the firmware and eventually got the fucker up and running. Took 3 hours mind. However, now although it works, there be no maps. Brother in law has also lost the original install CD which would have assisted here. Although I can download a UK map pack for €50, obviously yarrrring it is not only unethical under the circumstances (in my head), but also cheaper. Only, I can't find any sauce. And the unit isn't that great (worst touchscreen I've ever encountered, and that includes the KFC menu ordering system on the M25 services by the junction with the M1)

So, suggestions of a half decent cheap GPS, cheap being fundamental as it will barely be used? (most of the places we go we'll know the way)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:46 
Gogmagog

AA road atlas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 20:57 
Chinny chin chin

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
So, suggestions of a half decent cheap GPS, cheap being fundamental as it will barely be used? (most of the places we go we'll know the way)

Second hand or refurb Tom Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 21:32 
Ready for action

Grim... wrote:

:kiss:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:08 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Bah.

Acquired new old car yesterday, and Ali's brother gave us his satnav with it. Only, it doesnt work. Ran a full reinstall of all the firmware and eventually got the fucker up and running. Took 3 hours mind. However, now although it works, there be no maps. Brother in law has also lost the original install CD which would have assisted here. Although I can download a UK map pack for €50, obviously yarrrring it is not only unethical under the circumstances (in my head), but also cheaper. Only, I can't find any sauce. And the unit isn't that great (worst touchscreen I've ever encountered, and that includes the KFC menu ordering system on the M25 services by the junction with the M1)

So, are you up by Junction 21 of the M25 much then? If so, and you don't mind taking a very slight detour into Hemel Hempstead, you're welcome to come and relieve me of my old Garmin. It's a fairly decent one, but the internal speaker doesn't work. You can tune it into your car radio though if hearing the voices is important to you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Bah.

You can get one for your iPhone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:44 
baron of techno

Been using my new-found Internet speed to watch Sky News. Jesus Christ! Half an hour of Adam Bolton and Kelvin McKenzie yukking it up about Communists and how the government needs to fire nurses and policemen to avoid increasing the top rate tax band. Couldn't make this shit up!

On the plus side The Shining was on which is probably my favest movie ever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Malabar Front wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mad skills.

Woah, voodoo. Same pile as Shazam.

That's awesomely mad... How does it know!?!? Good find Doc!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 22:46 
baron of techno

Err, Zio, any chance of second dibs on that GPS if Riles doesn't want it? (bit cheeky given how much I slag you off in the car thread admittedly) :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:27 

kalmar wrote:
Err, Zio, any chance of second dibs on that GPS if Riles doesn't want it? (bit cheeky given how much I slag you off in the car thread admittedly) :D

It would only be cheeky if I didn't deserve the slagging off in the car thread, when I know I do because I insist on posting things I know nothing about. Talking of which, I was going to ask your opinion on something, so check that thready soon! <sarcasm>Ooh, how exciting!</sarcasm>

I went to the Urgent Care Centre at our local hospital this evening, it being the only part of the local hospital that doesn't appear to be boarded up these days, as I am growing increasingly suspicious that my own ribcage is secretly plotting to kill me. To be fair, I would've just phoned my GP in the morning and gone and seen him, as my ribcage is not doing a spectacular job of killing me and I think I've got time, but Lady Zio insisted.

So we went, waited about an hour, then Lady Zio told me the place was freaking her out and that she didn't like hospitals, so she went out and had a cigarette, despite having told me she'd given up. My problem being less that she suddenly wants a fag and more that she clearly hasn't given up, else she wouldn't have a packet of fags in her handbag primed and ready. Argument ensued, I stormed out, my ribs are still trying to kill me but this time I've also had an argument with my beloved. And it's the worst kind of argument too, because it's not my place to start telling her how to live her life, but I really fucking can't abide smoking. We ended things on a 'it's my life, I'll do what the fuck I want' note. To make matters worse, it hurts too much for me to be having any kind of make-up sex with her, plus I have effectively capitulated to her like the very bitch I am because I don't want to wind up single again.

I am increasingly of the opinion that, in addition to asking my doctor if there's anything he can do to end my rib rebellion, that he put me back on the happy pills. I feel like I've got much better at making people think that I'm coping with things really well than I have at actually coping with things.

But enough of this Emo shit. To the car thread!...

Edit: reading that back, I sound like a proper control freak. Maybe that's what I am. Is it wrong though to want someone you love to not do something that's harmful to their health?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 
Gogmagog

Zio wrote:
I have effectively capitulated to her like the very bitch I am because I don't want to wind up single again.

ProTip:

Not a good reason to be with someone.

Sort this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Zio wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Bah.

So, are you up by Junction 21 of the M25 much then? If so, and you don't mind taking a very slight detour into Hemel Hempstead, you're welcome to come and relieve me of my old Garmin. It's a fairly decent one, but the internal speaker doesn't work. You can tune it into your car radio though if hearing the voices is important to you.

Not really - it was just the first place that I could think of :D

iPhone isn't an option as my current one is a 3G (although fine using Maps as a passenger), plus Ali doesn't have an iPhone and she want's the GPS more than me - I'm going to try hitting some more torrents tonight for this one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 
Paws for thought

Zio wrote:
kalmar wrote:

It would only be cheeky if I didn't deserve the slagging off in the car thread, when I know I do because I insist on posting things I know nothing about. Talking of which, I was going to ask your opinion on something, so check that thready soon! <sarcasm>Ooh, how exciting!</sarcasm>

I went to the Urgent Care Centre at our local hospital this evening, it being the only part of the local hospital that doesn't appear to be boarded up these days, as I am growing increasingly suspicious that my own ribcage is secretly plotting to kill me. To be fair, I would've just phoned my GP in the morning and gone and seen him, as my ribcage is not doing a spectacular job of killing me and I think I've got time, but Lady Zio insisted.

So we went, waited about an hour, then Lady Zio told me the place was freaking her out and that she didn't like hospitals, so she went out and had a cigarette, despite having told me she'd given up. My problem being less that she suddenly wants a fag and more that she clearly hasn't given up, else she wouldn't have a packet of fags in her handbag primed and ready. Argument ensued, I stormed out, my ribs are still trying to kill me but this time I've also had an argument with my beloved. And it's the worst kind of argument too, because it's not my place to start telling her how to live her life, but I really fucking can't abide smoking. We ended things on a 'it's my life, I'll do what the fuck I want' note. To make matters worse, it hurts too much for me to be having any kind of make-up sex with her, plus I have effectively capitulated to her like the very bitch I am because I don't want to wind up single again.

I am increasingly of the opinion that, in addition to asking my doctor if there's anything he can do to end my rib rebellion, that he put me back on the happy pills. I feel like I've got much better at making people think that I'm coping with things really well than I have at actually coping with things.

But enough of this Emo shit. To the car thread!...

Edit: reading that back, I sound like a proper control freak. Maybe that's what I am. Is it wrong though to want someone you love to not do something that's harmful to their health?

I would not go out with someone who smoked for many reasons. Not least of which I don't think I'd to have to cope with the almost inevitable smoking related diseases, because seeing someone you love like that is less than pleasant. But also because it makes me ill, can somewhat increase breathing problems in in children and somewhat increases the chances of them smoking when older too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 
Gogmagog

Having a coffee and listening to Wil Wheaton's podcast. Emploment law at 10am, then private client and finishing off with commercial law. Then, to town, leave car in the sprawling complex that is OUP and the bus home.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Hooray! I passed my kendo grading. I rock, and have a ridiculous A3 certificate and a stamp in my membership book to prove it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:
Hooray! I passed my kendo grading. I rock, and have a ridiculous A3 certificate and a stamp in my membership book to prove it!

Nicely done, sir.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 
Gogmagog

Can my ex girlfriends please stop getting married and pregnant, please, it makes me look deceidedly second best?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:35 

Bah, I think I've done gone and torn or partially torn my anterior cruciate ligament. And after decades of skateboarding I seem to have managed to do it merely by walking slowly down a not particularly steep hill. Although I should probably get a better diagnosis from someone who knows more about these things than I do after a cursory search on the internet. However my brother has had exactly the same problem and when I described my pain he said that was exactly what happened to him.

Everything is breaking down around me, including me. :'(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zio wrote:

Would you be happy for her to tell you not to drink?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i am just waiting for my MOT and my laptop battery is flat. Oh well i can't catch up on emails!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 
Gogmagog

I think you're golden, Zio. No need to worry about worrying about other people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
Everything is breaking down around me, including me. :'(

Ouch. Is that a operation for you then if that's the problem?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 

Maybe, I'm still hoping that I'm being overly pessimistic in my self-diagnosis and that it'll be fine in a day or two, it has got a bit better but then I've not done anything much. It's definitely not right in a not just sprained sort of way, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:08 
Hibernating Druid

Need to find out for sure though. Don't want to make anything worse, mate.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 

Grim... wrote:
Zio wrote:

Would you be happy for her to tell you not to drink?

No, which is part of the problem.

Eesh... I need to stop it with these emo posts. I have a bad night, then dread going in to the BnB thread the next morning as I can't remember exactly how embarassing my last post was! :D

Anyway, I think maybe things are fine. I do need to go and see a doctor about this bloody rib thing though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 60  Next