Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Graphics recommend me do
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 20:46 
Excellent Member

Mrs P needs to do some art stuff, and it is outlining and drawing work mainly. She has a MacBook Pro, so would some kind of graphics tablet and drawing package help her? If so, which one?

Edit: Just to expand, she is currently drawing a design for a tattoo, Also, many of her designs are pen and ink and hand drawn. She is a complete Photoshop novice, she knows what she wants to do, but not how. She is also a quick learner. So maybe a graphics tablet will allow her to still "draw" naturally and still have the benefits of editing and changing things quickly.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

Post subject: Re: Graphics recommend me do
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 20:57 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

What size of graphics tablet does she want, bearing in mind they're a lot bigger than their size labels (an A4 tablet will be 32 x 47.4 cm), and what's your budget? I'd probably go a size smaller for myself next time.

I only have experience of the Wacom tablets and, aside from some minor occasional driver pains, I can't fault them. They take a bit of getting used to, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 20:59 
Excellent Member

Budget is irrelevant right now. It is more about finding the right thing and then seeing if we can afford it. I have no knowledge of tablets or their software, or whether they would be used with something like Photoshop or some vector drawing package? Illustrator?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 21:09 
Hibernating Druid

Never got on with graphics tablets myself. I much prefer drawing naturally then scanning and editing/tracing in Photoshop & illustrator. A decent USB canon scanner can be had for less than £50.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 21:11 
Hibernating Druid

Tablets are used just like a mouse really. The tablet size maps to the screen, the only other gain is pressure sensitivity that can adjust the weight of the strokes in your paint/photo app.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 22:33 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Plissken wrote:
Budget is irrelevant right now. It is more about finding the right thing and then seeing if we can afford it. I have no knowledge of tablets or their software, or whether they would be used with something like Photoshop or some vector drawing package? Illustrator?

I use mine with both Photoshop and Illustrator, and both handle them excellently. Obviously they're both completely different programs, so it'd depend what exactly your wife's needs were; for outlining and general drawing work, I'd be tempted to suggest exploring vectors more than raster work. Unfortunately both programs are quite expensive, but there are 30-day unrestricted trials on the Adobe site for her to check out before deciding. I don't have experience with any other graphics suites, so I can't comment; the Adobe ones have done pretty much everything I need them to, bar a few niggles.

As far as telling whether or not she'd be happy with a tablet, she'd really need to try one out for a few hours, and I'm not sure there's any way of really doing that. They're hardly an impulse buy, given their price (the A5 Wacom Intuos4 is £300 new, for example). Does she have any friends with one she could try? I've never seen any in stores.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 

I do my graphics in Photoshop and using my laptop's trackpad because I am THAT crazy/stupid and for some reason meant to buy a mouse about 4 years ago but forgot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 
Hibernating Druid

I did see Wacom Bamboo tablets in Aldi, they're Mac & PC compatible but they're quite small and they didn't have a price on them.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]