Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits 'n' Bobs 16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
It's about personal bloody choice, though. It's the principle. YOU CITIZENS SHOUDLN'T BE FAT AND UNHEALTHY, SO WE WILL STOP IT. Fuck that.

Shrug. You want a national health service and support system for the ill and disabled? Then people have to be encouraged and educated not to be fat unhealthy wasters, or the system will literally collapse under the weight.

The alternative is taking the labels off anything dangerous, unbanning any toxic ingredients, and you can wander off into the wastes to die when you get ill from it. Like in America.

Slippery slope either way isn't it? And I'm willing to put up with a wee bit of nannying to avoid the latter scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 
baron of techno

flis wrote:
I was baking cakes until 11pm last week. I have become addicted to making cupcakes....well, more specifically, decorating them. That's the best part of any cupcake, how good they look. There's only so much you can do to a basic sponge recipe to make any difference to the taste.

Needs more trans fat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:41 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
It's about personal bloody choice, though. It's the principle. YOU CITIZENS SHOUDLN'T BE FAT AND UNHEALTHY, SO WE WILL STOP IT. Fuck that.

Shrug. You want a national health service and support system for the ill and disabled? Then people have to be encouraged and educated not to be fat unhealthy wasters, or the system will literally collapse under the weight.

The alternative is taking the labels off anything dangerous,

How is that even remotely even a connected point, let alone an alternative?

Quote:
unbanning anything unhealthy,

Well, true, but only if you're going to be consistent. And politicians never are.

Quote:
and you can wander off into the wastes to die when you get ill from it. Like in America.

Again, that's not the alternative.

Quote:
Slippery slope either way isn't it? And I'm willing to put up with a wee bit of nannying to avoid the latter scenario.

We currently have an NHS that treats fat, unhealthy smokers and drinkers and people who hurt themselves doing other voluntary things like horseriding. It appears to be working as a system at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 

I still don't get what's wrong with banning this especially harmful type of fat that is only really used for the convenience of the industry and not because it is preferred by customers. Nobody goes looking for stuff with trans fat in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

It's a parallel. You're saying people automatically know exactly how much of a health risk it is to eat a big mac, and make their decision accordingly. And if they don't then it's their own funeral.

In the same way, you could take the warning label off anti-freeze that says it's actually poisonous despite tasting quite nice and getting you drunk.

Because it's your choice and only stupid people wouldn't know that, right?

Personally I don't know exactly what a trans-fat is, or precisely what foods it's found in or even how it would be shown on the ingredients list.

But if it's flat-out bad for you and can be left out without much fuss, great, just do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 
INFINITE POWAH

kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

It's a parallel. You're saying people automatically know exactly how much of a health risk it is to eat a big mac, and make their decision accordingly. And if they don't then it's their own look-out.

In the same way, you could take the warning label off anti-freeze that says it's actually poisonous despite tasting quite nice and getting you drunk.

Because it's your choice and only stupid people wouldn't know that, right?

In an ideal, lawyer-free world, people would have to label things less, it's true. Much of the warning labelling is due to risk of getting sued, not the risk of people not knowing that bleach is a bad thing to drink.

Of course some of it is also due to an overcautious, nannying government requiring it to be there, as well.

Quote:
Personally I don't know exactly what a trans-fat is, or precisely what foods it's found in or even how it would be shown on the ingredients list.

Me either, but I do know that greasy, fried, fast food is bad for me. I don't have to know the specifics of what trans-fats do to know that that sort of food is unheathy.

Quote:
And if it's flat-out bad for you and can be left out without much fuss, great, just do it.

Well, yeah, maybe. But my serious worry is that behind this is a nanny knows best, finger wagging, puritanical "how dare you be unhealthy and, god forbid, enjoy anything, SO WE WILL BAN IT" mindset - which it clearly is, given the attitudes to alcohol, fatty food generally (there were mooted calorie taxes or whatever, for goodness' sake) and really anything at all which the government disapproves of. Christ, just look at their reaction to that drugs council chappy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

This is fine. But they want to ban things, see?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Great.. now I want something from McDonalds.

Also, I appear to have lost six hours last night to Arkham Asylum. Oops.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 
baron of techno

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Well, yeah, maybe. But my serious worry is that behind this is a nanny knows best, finger wagging, puritanical "how dare you be unhealthy and, god forbid, enjoy anything" mindset - which it clearly is, given the attitudes to alcohol, fatty food generally (there were mooted calorie taxes or whatever, for goodness' sake) and really anything at all which the government disapproves of. Christ, just look at their reaction to that drugs council chappy.

I see your point, but it just seems a bit "Bill Hicks" :D

I do think the motivation behind most of this stuff is genuinely to have a healthier population, and that reason alone.

In fact you could say they don't go far enough in some ways - take smoking. It's a known health risk with no benefits, so why not just ban it if they are as puritanical as you say?

So I'd say that they are actually quite pragmatic when people insist on a free choice on something they enjoy.

In the case of trans-fats, I'm not sure it's the same case. Would you be upset if you couldn't find trans-fat on the supermarket shelves? (exactly!). Would you notice any difference in the taste of a burger? I doubt it, and as a side benefit it won't kill you.
So I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
I still don't get what's wrong with banning this especially harmful type of fat.

Mr Chris thinks it's a ban on Man Fat. Produced exclusively by Trannies.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 

kalmar wrote:
In fact you could say they don't go far enough in some ways - take smoking. It's a known health risk with no benefits, so why not just ban it if they are as puritanical as you say?

The cynic in me would say that a significant part of the NHS's funding (probably) comes from duty levied on tobacco.

I daresay there's no duty levied on trans fats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So, Hustle last night. Either it's getting more obvious, or I'm getting smarter, as I called the entire plan as soon as Ash started fiddling with the control box for the aircon.
Here, in bespoilered form, are the mistakes from last night's episode.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
  • While it's slightly plausible that the antenna placed on the roof could control that RC car at that distance, the car would never have been able to transmit a video signal back to the van. It is possible that they used WiFi to send the video, but there would have been a significant delay.
  • Sean would have either needed two stopwatches to time the cameras, or he could just leave his stopwatch running.
  • Ash took a huge risk posing as the aircon engineer, as he wore no disguise at all and would have been all over the CCTV of the museum.
  • That ice tiger would have weighed a ton, but Mickey lifted it like it was made of paper.
  • As there were CCTV cameras in the corridor leading up to the vault, it would have taken the police seconds to work out that no-one had actually been in there.
  • On the outside CCTV camera footage, where did the toy tiger come from?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:40 
Sitting balls-back folder

Craster wrote:
That's skirt steak. It's by far my favourite cut, but it's hard to get in restaurants (apart from the excellent Chez Gerard chain, where it's under it's french name 'Onglet'). Served very rare, it's beautiful and so incredibly beefy tasting.
For my birthday meal about 3 years ago I had blood sausage starter then medium rare 24oz skirt at Meet, an Argentinian steak restaurant in Liverpool. Fucking beautiful, and the meat baby I carried for the next couple of days made me happy. Next two times I went I suffered shit service and shit meat, so I never went back. Shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Why aren't we going to Meet for the 'up north' meat? That's an opportunity missed. It could have been a meaty Meet meet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 
Sitting balls-back folder

Because it's in Liverpool, not Manchester. And it went shit. It might even have closed down now - the sister one they opened in the city centre died on its arse within 6 months, and is now a 24 hour booze-and-fag shop after an even briefer stint as a "£10 entry all your drinks free" club that looked terrifying. Being pun-worthy only gets you so far.

I quite like the sound of that "hunks of meat carved onto your plate at the table" place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Malabar Front wrote:
A) For fuck's sake, why do women think work stories and anecdotes are important enough to warrant an immediate phone-call when they know damn well you're working?

B) Her school just got a new minibus, followed shortly by the deputy head reversing it into a bollard and crumpling the back end. Fucking idiot.

Seriously. Stop it.

Don't send me a text message while I'm at work, saying ‘I need to talk to you, ASAP*’, only to tell me of a rumour about a taxi driver committing suicide somewhere in the town.

For fuck's sake.

*Converted into real English.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:00 
Comfortably Dumb

Malabar Front wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
A) For fuck's sake, why do women think work stories and anecdotes are important enough to warrant an immediate phone-call when they know damn well you're working?

B) Her school just got a new minibus, followed shortly by the deputy head reversing it into a bollard and crumpling the back end. Fucking idiot.

Seriously. Stop it.

Don't send me a text message while I'm at work, saying ‘I need to talk to you, ASAP*’, only to tell me of a rumour about a taxi driver committing suicide somewhere in the town.

For fuck's sake.

*Converted into real English.

Text her with the above. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We could just DM the link to her on Twitter ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:11 
Excellent Painter

How come the spoilers have stopped working with safari - I can see the spoiler tag, my cursor changes to a little hand when over it but nothing happens after that when I click it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

/seppuku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:13 

Grim... wrote:

I've already ranted at her down the phone ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:19 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

DB, answer below:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:39 

Did anyone see Billy Bragg on the BBC One breakfast show this morning? He's refusing to pay taxes now in protest at the RBS bonus payments. It managed to come across as more a desperate self-publicity stunt than any kind of thought-out protest and annoyed me so much it caused me to get out of bed and have a shower.

So I guess really I owe him thanks, as I really didn't want to get out of bed this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:40 
Comfortably Dumb

Malabar Front wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I've already ranted at her down the phone ;)

Find out when she's at her busiest and phone her to tell her you've stubbed your toe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:42 
baron of techno

Zio wrote:
Did anyone see Billy Bragg on the BBC One breakfast show this morning? He's refusing to pay taxes now in protest at the RBS bonus payments.

Surely there are more worthwhile things to not pay your taxes in protest. Of. Come on Billy, you can do better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:42 

devilman wrote:
Find out when she's at her busiest and phone her to tell her you've stubbed your toe.

Heh. I'll have to send her a text saying ‘We need to talk.’ beforehand, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:43 

kalmar wrote:
Zio wrote:
Did anyone see Billy Bragg on the BBC One breakfast show this morning? He's refusing to pay taxes now in protest at the RBS bonus payments.

Surely there are more worthwhile things to not pay your taxes in protest. Of. Come on Billy, you can do better.

Poor album sales?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:45 
Hibernating Druid

Being a Brummie?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

FFS. Bonus payments are taxable. Bonus payments bring in more taxes to the public purse. Bonuses help retain talent. More talent means company makes more money. Company making more money means quicker repayment of bailout funds plus increased corporation tax payments.

Moron.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:51 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Yeah, but you're one of them, Craster! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
FFS. Bonus payments are taxable. Bonus payments bring in more taxes to the public purse. Bonuses help retain talent.

I'm still not convinced this is the case. Are these UK born, UK based people with families really going to fuck off to Hong Kong to follow the salary? Are they bollocks, and City Boy agrees with me.

Quote:
increased corporation tax payments.

HAHAHAHAH. Yeah, 's if. Tax avoidance, matey. The banks are particularly good at it. I think Barclays pays about £16.48 a year in tax, and last year it turned out on closer inspection that part of that was paid in French francs.*

*Allegedly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 13:58 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
and City Boy agrees with me.

I didn't know lawyers had side kicks. Do you dress him like Robin?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Er, did the branding just kill itself for anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Craster wrote:
FFS. Bonus payments are taxable. Bonus payments bring in more taxes to the public purse. Bonuses help retain talent.

I'm still not convinced this is the case. Are these UK born, UK based people with families really going to fuck off to Hong Kong to follow the salary? Are they bollocks, and City Boy agrees with me.

Er, no. But they'll fuck off to a bank that isn't RBS.

Quote:
HAHAHAHAH. Yeah, 's if. Tax avoidance, matey. The banks are particularly good at it. I think Barclays pays about £16.48 a year in tax, and last year it turned out on closer inspection that part of that was paid in French francs.*

This is, of course, horseshit. While there is no doubt that they make every effort to pay as little tax as possible, thanks to the efforts of your folks and the likes of Riles, they still pay massive, massive sums into the UK economy. If that wasn't the case, why would anyone give a shit about the city firms leaving London?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Um. Branding?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Um. Branding?

I wondered that too. Is it the Beex banner thing at the top of the site? I have that turned off anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Um. Branding?

CSS. Fuck, I've gone all corporate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:17 

Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Um. Branding?

CSS. Fuck, I've gone all corporate.

It killed itself for me a couple of days ago, and took about 30 minutes to return. Multiple browsers, cache resets etc. so it was definitely a problem on the site's end. Weird stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh. No, it was fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:21 
UltraMod

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The shitty man made fats that make McDonalds taste so good you mean?

We are so diametrically opposed here that I'm out. Soz.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:37 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Banks aren't allowed to do tax avoidance now, either for themselves or other people. It is part of their bailout conditions, although remains to be seen how long that lasts. However, if you follow what happened in the US a few years ago, then it may actually have stopped them.

Oh, and I don't really do tax avoidance either. I'm quite boring really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:40 
Chinny chin chin

myoptikakaka wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
The shitty man made fats that make McDonalds taste so good you mean?

We are so diametrically opposed here that I'm out. Soz.

MYP, yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:42 
UltraMod

I can tell you really get outside of your comfort zone when you're posting pictures from noughties programmes. It's admirable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:43 
Chinny chin chin

myoptikakaka wrote:
I can tell you really get outside of your comfort zone when you're posting pictures from noughties programmes. It's admirable.

I have you know I'm very up to date. I even have a cordless phone in my office:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:54 
Hibernating Druid

The 'Branding' is completely fucked now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 14:56 

Zardoz wrote:
The 'Branding' is completely fucked now.

:this:

Fucking branding. Always breaking. FUCK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 15:10 
Esoteric

My mattress is supposed to come tomorrow.

Oooo, I could crush a grape !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 15:11 
Honey Boo Boo

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... -25630060/

Quote:
Staff at at leading Welsh utilities firm have been ordered to reverse into parking spaces and use handrails on stairs, in the latest example of "nanny state" health and safety rules.

Swalec workers are being encouraged to "challenge" one another if they see rules being broken and are punished with a "yellow card" if they are caught in the act of breaking a health and safety rule, it has emerged.

Now, I always back into parking spaces UNLESS I'm at a supermarket (how am I going to get cases of beer into the back of the car?) but some fucking management cunt telling me I have to or I get some 'yellow card' punishment can fuck right off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 15:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

BP have had incredible health and safety rules for years as part of an overhaul demanded as part of some legal settlement from years ago, even in the offices. They are encouraged to grass up other workers who break the rules, and example of which being taking a coffee from the machine to your desk without a lid on the cup, or walking up stairs without using the handrail or while on a phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 15:17 

MetalAngel wrote:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/01/19/swalec-staff-ordered-to-reverse-park-at-work-91466-25630060/

Quote:
Staff at at leading Welsh utilities firm have been ordered to reverse into parking spaces and use handrails on stairs, in the latest example of "nanny state" health and safety rules.

Swalec workers are being encouraged to "challenge" one another if they see rules being broken and are punished with a "yellow card" if they are caught in the act of breaking a health and safety rule, it has emerged.

Now, I always back into parking spaces UNLESS I'm at a supermarket (how am I going to get cases of beer into the back of the car?) but some fucking management cunt telling me I have to or I get some 'yellow card' punishment can fuck right off.

Also some people are so shit at reversing that they will have an accident just trying to obey the rules.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 60  Next