Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Post subject: So, I'm an anti-Semite?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 22:41 
Excellent Member

I am anger manifest.

I'm a contractor by trade and rely on my reputation to get new contracts. I've overcome various opposition, nay-saying and doom-merchanting over the last decade, but have never been accused of sexism, racism or anti-Semitism until today.

I was having a fairly "heated" debate (there were no swears) with an employee of the current contract on how "the product" should be developed. We reached an agreement, case closed...

... or so I thought. A couple of hours later I get called to a meeting with the directors, who reveal to me that they've had a complaint levelled against me that I uttered "anti-Jewish slurs" against an employee.

UTTER FUCKING BOLLOCKS!

I'm not a racist, I don't hold such beliefs and nor do I "utter" any such slurs. I've replayed the conversation a thousand times in my head and as far as I know there is absolutely nothing, nothing, I said that could be construed as anti-Semitic, racist or anything else. We were talking code!

I told "the directors" this, and also told them I'd be prepared to sue the company and the individual involved if this continued. I'm going to see my lawyer on Monday - and I'm out for blood. Call me wrong? Fine. Call me a twat? Fine. Call me something I'm not? I'm going to take the full fucking weight of the law to your door and make you face it.

Anger!

Thanks for reading :)

Post subject: Re: So, I'm an anti-Semite?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 22:52 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Surely they could have told you what the alleged slur was? 8)

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 22:56 
Engorged Member

End of an Era wrote:
I am anger manifest.

I'm a contractor by trade and rely on my reputation to get new contracts. I've overcome various opposition, nay-saying and doom-merchanting over the last decade, but have never been accused of sexism, racism or anti-Semitism until today.

I was having a fairly "heated" debate (there were no swears) with an employee of the current contract on how "the product" should be developed. We reached an agreement, case closed...

... or so I thought. A couple of hours later I get called to a meeting with the directors, who reveal to me that they've had a complaint levelled against me that I uttered "anti-Jewish slurs" against an employee.

UTTER FUCKING BOLLOCKS!

I'm not a racist, I don't hold such beliefs and nor do I "utter" any such slurs. I've replayed the conversation a thousand times in my head and as far as I know there is absolutely nothing, nothing, I said that could be construed as anti-Semitic, racist or anything else. We were talking code!

I told "the directors" this, and also told them I'd be prepared to sue the company and the individual involved if this continued. I'm going to see my lawyer on Monday - and I'm out for blood. Call me wrong? Fine. Call me a twat? Fine. Call me something I'm not? I'm going to take the full fucking weight of the law to your door and make you face it.

Anger!

Witnesses?

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 22:57 
Esoteric

Myfinger wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
I am anger manifest.

UTTER FUCKING BOLLOCKS!

Anger!

Witnesses?

Good call. From what I can gather from reading the post that would be none.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 23:06 
Ezekiel

End of an Era wrote:
I've replayed the conversation a thousand times in my head and as far as I know there is absolutely nothing, nothing, I said that could be construed as anti-Semitic

Serious response - Did you make any comments about him/his team trying to cut corners financially or anything? It's about the only thing I can think of that would come up in a normal business conversation that could possibly be deliberately twisted into being considered anti-semitic (based on the slur of Jews being cheap penny-pinchers).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 23:09 
Esoteric

Zen-Chan wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
I've replayed the conversation a thousand times in my head and as far as I know there is absolutely nothing, nothing, I said that could be construed as anti-Semitic

Serious response - Did you make any comments about him/his team trying to cut corners financially or anything? It's about the only thing I can think of that would come up in a normal business conversation that could possibly be deliberately twisted into being considered anti-semitic (based on the slur of Jews being cheap penny-pinchers).

That's what I was thinking. I mean, even if you called a Jew a tight cunt or something then they could easily twist it around.

Thing is, without any witnesses I doubt much can come from it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 23:15 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

I'm not sure where the burden of proof lies for slander cases... would he have to prove that you said it, or would you have to prove that you didn't say it? Legal person plz answer kthx.

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 23:26 
Skillmeister

Crikey that sounds shite EoE 8) Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
I'm not sure where the burden of proof lies for slander cases... would he have to prove that you said it, or would you have to prove that you didn't say it? Legal person plz answer kthx.

Surely you're innocent until proven guilty? Like he said.. He's had a decade of good behaviour.

This is I record every conversation I have at work.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:03 

The other party would surely have to prove that you said such a thing as it is obviously impossible for you to prove that you didn't?

Surely the main problem here is whether your 'superiors' believe you or not (regardless of any legal outcome).

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:50 
Gogmagog

You've to prove that the words spoken were defamatory, they were referred to you, and that they were spoken. And a jury has to agree.

Winfield on defamation:

"Defamation is the publication of a statement which tends to lower a person in the estimation of right thinking members of society generally; or which tends to make them shun or avoid that person"

To refer to you, it's got to be shown to refer to you, or reasonable people believe that the statement refers to you.

The defences are offering amends, which is saying sorry with money and a half page advert in a newspaper, consent, justification, fair comment, absolute privilege, judicial privilege, executive privilege or qualified privilege.

I think that the defence of qualified privilege would fit here, if, but not admitting to, such a statement was made, then telling your boss about it might cover it.

Also, and this is possibly the most important part of it, you fund defamation cases from your own pocket, and they can run and run and run. And costs are exceedingly high. And if you bring one, and lose, then you are looking at serious lawyer money. Not to mention the other side's serious lawyer money.

If I were you, I'd just explain it to the boss, maybe say you're sorry and that any offence caused was wholly unintentional and as a result of poor communication. Be very contrite. You stand to lose more by bringing an action than by swallowing a bit of pride.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:56 
baron of techno

Offer up some money? WTF? Surely that's a straightforward admission that you did say something?

He could still threaten to sue if they take any action based on an unfounded allegation, he doesn't have to go through with it if the worse happens (could claim unfair dismissal instead). IMHO IANAL and that

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:58 
Gogmagog

kalmar wrote:
Offer up some money? WTF? Surely that's a straightforward admission that you did say something?

He could still threaten to sue if they take any action based on an unfounded allegation, he doesn't have to go through with it if the worse happens (could claim unfair dismissal instead). IMHO IANAL and that

I was explaining about defamation and the claims and towards the end got my wires crossed as I started to think about something else. I've amended it now.

Sueing for defamation here, I would strongly advise against.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 
baron of techno

Fair enough, I'm not sure I agree with apologising to the directors though, or the employee if he's making if up.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:09 
Gogmagog

Apologising for any misunderstandings or poor communications leading to upset /= "Sorry I done it", though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:13 
baron of techno

True, but I'd be after an apology in return for the mud slinging.
If this really has come out if the blue and there was nothing that could have been taken the wrong way then the employee is clearly not to be trusted.

That's a very damaging and malicious thing to say.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:20 
Excellent Member

If the debate was heated, and the other party has responded by coming up with a claim like that to management, I'd seriously be considering whether I would want to work with them.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 
Gogmagog

TheAlbin0Kid wrote:
Surely they could have told you what the alleged slur was? 8)

Contractor, project meeting?

Smart money is on a sentence beginning "The final solution..."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:58 
Excellent Member

EoE, going into work, yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 15:47 
Peculiar, yet lovely

kalmar wrote:
If this really has come out if the blue and there was nothing that could have been taken the wrong way then the employee is clearly not to be trusted.

Absolutely. I would add that I consider people who intentionally make up allegations of racism etc. are more despicable and cowardly people doing more harm than actual racists etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 16:15 
Esoteric

sinister agent wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Absolutely. I would add that I consider people who intentionally make up allegations of racism etc. are more despicable and cowardly people doing more harm than actual racists etc.

Well this is the problem. If you introduce some kind of P.C ruling people will always find a way to twist it to their advantage. Especially in business where it's one big game of cut throat.

Certain people know no bounds of the lowness of their stooping to get what they want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 22:10 
Excellent Painter

Myfinger wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
I am anger manifest.

UTTER FUCKING BOLLOCKS!

Anger!

Witnesses?

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 22:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Ditto.

Also, what Mali said. (a) a threat of legal action is baseless as, trust, me, you can't afford it, and (b) isn't going to endear you to them much more than walking into their lobby in a nazi uniform shouting about Zyklon B.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:12 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Ditto.

Also, what Mali said. (a) a threat of legal action is baseless as, trust, me, you can't afford it, and (b) isn't going to endear you to them much more than walking into their lobby in a nazi uniform shouting about Zyklon B.

You said you'd disown me if I went into stuff like this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:13 
INFINITE POWAH

And I stand by that, unless you cut me in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:31 
Gogmagog

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
And I stand by that, unless you cut me in.

I'm not going around defaming people like (SNIP! - Legal Ed) or (SNIP! - Legal Ed) so you can (SNIP! - Legal Ed) in order to (SNIP! - Legal Ed) and (SNIP! - Legal Ed) and (SNIP! - Legal Ed) forth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Who the fuck is our Legal Ed? Edward Scissorhands?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 23:50 
Excellent Member

\
" I won't get out of bed for less than £250/hour."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 18:52 
Gogmagog

So, how was the meeting?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 19:10 

MaliA wrote:
So, how was the meeting?

Obviously you haven't been watching the news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8385577.stm.

We won't be seeing him again, I'd bet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 20:09 
Excellent Member

Well that was unexpected.

It's been something of a tense week. Went to see the solicitor on Monday who was basically of the opinion that pursuing the matter through legal avenues would result in no winners. Basically what you guys said above, but why take free advice when you can pay someone for it? ;)

Had another, fairly supportive, chat with the "board" on Tuesday morning and calmed things down a notch. I've also spoken with a number of extremely wet HR types. I didn't want a whole bunch of rumours flying around, so I told the team I work with what the situation was. They were incredibly supportive, got me a card, we went out for a lunchtime meal. I appreciated that.

Then today another chat with the "board". The accusation has been dropped. No real explanation for why, but the person who made it was apparently off "sick" until yesterday, came in and withdrew the complaint. After that I had a confidential, off-the-record, chat with one of the directors who I've known the longest who said that although they had to take the complaint seriously and take steps, there was a certain amount of support in my version of events given my reputation, conduct and the, quote, "exceptional" work I do.

So, I think, knock-on-wood, this draws a line under it. Case closed. I have a strange feeling now: relief mixed with diminishing anger. I've been so pissed off about the whole thing for the better part of a week, now I'm feeling less pissed off I feel almost as if a part of me is missing. Weird.

Anyway, promised to take the wife out for dinner to thank her for putting up with all the shit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 20:11 

Whilst I doubt you're feeling much satisfaction I reckon that's as good an outcome as you could have hoped for really.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 20:12 
baron of techno

Yep, good result. Sounds like you have plenty of support there too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 20:29 

Congrats, dude. I understand how stressful it is being falsely accused of shit you didn't do. This stressful -> :'( >:(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:00 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Anyone want to club together for a Happy Hanukkah card?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:17 
Chinny chin chin

Good news. Hoorah!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

now you can go and insult him and no one will believe him!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:26 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Bobbyaro wrote:
now you can go and insult him and no one will believe him!

To be honest, what is the point of spending years building up a good, honest reputation if you're not going to abuse it further down the line for your own gain? It worked a beauty for me at school... I spent 5 years being a good boy who did everything on time without a fuss, and then bunked off a load of stuff in 6th/7th form and nobody even thought to question my flimsy excuses, while other more "known" slackers were hauled over the coals for the most minor and innocent of transgressions :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 0:26 

Sounds like the reverse of my life history. ;)

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]