Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Post subject: Digital Camcorders RMD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 16:55 
Excellent Member

My mother-in-law want to give my brother-in-law a camcorder for christmas and asked for my opinion. I know shit about camcorders, so i'm asking you, the endless source of wisdom that is the Beteo hivemind.

Are the good brands for digital cameras the same as for camcorders? Are there any specs that i should be aware of? It's supposed to be something fairly cheap, maximum 300€ or something.

Post subject: Re: Digital Camcorders RMD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 16:57 
Hibernating Druid

Chinny!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 17:01 
baron of techno

I asked a similar question a while back but my budget was £50. I got an excellent JVC "mini-dv" (which means digital tape) recorder off ebay for £23 in the end.
This type all have a firewire socket which you can get the video out of without needing any special driver on the PC. Works a treat.

It's all about the solid-state ones these days admittedly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 17:13 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
I asked a similar question a while back but my budget was £50. I got an excellent JVC "mini-dv" (which means digital tape) recorder off ebay for £23 in the end.
This type all have a firewire socket which you can get the video out of without needing any special driver on the PC. Works a treat.

It's all about the solid-state ones these days admittedly.

DV is still good! Don't fall for the marketing!

There are great bargains to be had and on paper at least the tech specs of DV are better than some of the solid state cameras. DV is also dead easy to edit unlike MPEG variants. OK so I now edit on an MPEG 2 varient (XDCAM) but if you are on a weedy home computer DV is great. Lets face it I was editing DV happily on a P166 ten years ago.

+ You can stick a DV tape on the shelf and keep it for years. No need to backup your footage or run the risk of losing the footage. Decent Sony tapes are as little as 2 quid an hour and anyone who reuses DV tape is a cheapskate of the highest order.

Also keep in mind that a good SD camcorder will be better than so called "HD" camcorders. Just because you have the pixels doesn't mean you have the resolution. I speak as someone who owns 2 professional HD cameras and my newer more expensive one is far better than the older one.

If you do go for solid state, ensure you get something that edits to an established standard. Nothing worse than to have an OS upgrade and then find the driver for your camera doesn't work and EvilJapanese Corp won't be producing a new driver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 20:29 
Excellent Member

I can't offer a recommendation in that price bracket, but I've got a Canon HF-20 and am happy enough with it. It's a 1080p solid-state thing, and it's lovely, although HD video is a pain in the arse to edit on anything less than an uber-beast of a machine.

FWIW2, Sony Vegas Movie Studio is bloody great for video editing - I much prefer it to Premiere Elements. It's literally just a cut-down version of Vegas Pro - fewer tracks, a bit less automation, that sort of thing - unlike Premiere Elements which is all cluttered up with big idiot-friendly buttons that mask all the useful functionality.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:46 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:
I can't offer a recommendation in that price bracket, but I've got a Canon HF-20 and am happy enough with it. It's a 1080p solid-state thing, and it's lovely, although HD video is a pain in the arse to edit on anything less than an uber-beast of a machine.

FWIW2, Sony Vegas Movie Studio is bloody great for video editing - I much prefer it to Premiere Elements. It's literally just a cut-down version of Vegas Pro - fewer tracks, a bit less automation, that sort of thing - unlike Premiere Elements which is all cluttered up with big idiot-friendly buttons that mask all the useful functionality.

[coughs] Final Cut Express if you are a Mac user.

Your footage is a pain in the arse to edit probably because it's an MPEG4 codec. Takes alot of grunt to edit on the fly which is why professional kit uses MPEG 2, and even then you are better off doing your intermediate rendering and final rendering into Apple Prores, which is a proper frame based codec.

It amuses me to see all these "HD" camcoders on the market when frankly the optics are barely any better than their SD counterparts. Pixels count for jack if you have a lens that cost a fiver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 21:59 
Chinny chin chin

Check out this site BTW:

http://www.camcorderinfo.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 22:19 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
parm wrote:

Your footage is a pain in the arse to edit probably because it's an MPEG4 codec. Takes alot of grunt to edit on the fly which is why professional kit uses MPEG 2, and even then you are better off doing your intermediate rendering and final rendering into Apple Prores, which is a proper frame based codec.

It amuses me to see all these "HD" camcoders on the market when frankly the optics are barely any better than their SD counterparts. Pixels count for jack if you have a lens that cost a fiver.

Oh, absolutely. The Canon I've got was specifically bought because the reviews said the lens was excellent and properly sharp. And yes, it's an AVCHD camcorder, which requires a shit-tonne of CPU grunt to edit. My quad-core box manages it okay, but my dual-core laptop struggles somewhat, especially if I've got any effects in there too (Red Giant Magic Bullet is bloody great, but more than doubles my rendering times...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 22:45 
baron of techno

chinnyhill10 wrote:

I remain very impressed with iMovie, which is free with the Mac, having used it about 3 times only. The point being that I managed to make it do what I wanted each time, with a minimal level of swearing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 22:46 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:
(Red Giant Magic Bullet is bloody great, but more than doubles my rendering times...)

I won't ask how you obtained that. :attitude: :DD

Ensure GPU processing is enabled. Be warned though it only supports certain GPU's. From memory it's NVIDIA only however they may have revised that. With the right card it should be fairly nippy.

I run Colorista and you barely notice the extra rendering time even on the Macbook. GPU takes the strain. Magic Bullet is nice but Colorista (which is also by Red Giant) will give similar results if used properly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
parm wrote:
(Red Giant Magic Bullet is bloody great, but more than doubles my rendering times...)

I won't ask how you obtained that. :attitude: :DD

Feel free to ask, I paid for it :) Got a 50% reduction for being an owner of Vegas, which made it just over £100, which I figured was reasonable.

Quote:
Ensure GPU processing is enabled. Be warned though it only supports certain GPU's. From memory it's NVIDIA only however they may have revised that. With the right card it should be fairly nippy.

I run Colorista and you barely notice the extra rendering time even on the Macbook. GPU takes the strain. Magic Bullet is nice but Colorista (which is also by Red Giant) will give similar results if used properly.

Magic Bullet requires GPU processing, in fact. Works on both my NVidia laptop and ATI desktop, though, although neither of them are especially kick-ass cards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Honestly, if you're not doing anything too advanced then Windows Movie Maker is a fine bit of software. Just remember to output it under the 'dv-avi' setting and then re-encode it how you like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:

Magic Bullet requires GPU processing, in fact. Works on both my NVidia laptop and ATI desktop, though, although neither of them are especially kick-ass cards.

Didn't used to. Was a tick box in the preferences in After Effects.

I like Magic Bullet but it is slow and overpriced considering you get Apple Color included with Final Cut Studio these days.

The "film look" part of Magic Bullet is now rendered useless by the fact that most pro cameras can now shoot progressive happily enough anyway hence why Colorista is better for me. It was a nice trick to have though when we were all still stuck in the world of interlacing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 16:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Honestly, if you're not doing anything too advanced then Windows Movie Maker is a fine bit of software.

:this: I'm surprised MS haven't made more fuss about Movie Maker in the way that it does with Media Player with numerous new versions of the latter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 17:07 
Sitting balls-back folder

It's like Security Essentials - if they accidentally make something competent, they can't bundle or freely distribute it and shout about it without being hit with an anti-trust complaint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 
Excellent Member

What is the best camcorder to record a basic training graduation? My mom wants to purchase a new camcorder to use at my basic training graduation for the Air Force. I am ashamed to admit, I dont know a thing about camcorders. I did some researched and talked to a few people who recently purchased a camcorder and I'm still very fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Specific brand and model? Maybe, a general rule of thumb or ruleS of thumb for purchasing a GOOD quality camcorder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 
Unpossible!

bethaniax wrote:
What is the best camcorder to record a basic training graduation? My mom wants to purchase a new camcorder to use at my basic training graduation for the Air Force. I am ashamed to admit, I dont know a thing about camcorders. I did some researched and talked to a few people who recently purchased a camcorder and I'm still very fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions? Specific brand and model? Maybe, a general rule of thumb or ruleS of thumb for purchasing a GOOD quality camcorder.

Welcome, newbie! There are a few ways you can go with camcorders at the mo. Old schoolers like Chinny will insist that Mini-DV tapes are still the way to go, but for a casual user, something in the removable storage range might be more your style. Look for the SD card range. My brother has a JVC that does TV quality vids straight onto an SD card and it's unbelievably simple to use.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 
baron of techno

Are you in the US of America, bethaniax?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 
Chinny chin chin

The Canon Vixia range (as they are called in the USA). Preferably the higher end ones.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
The Canon Vixia range (as they are called in the USA). Preferably the higher end ones.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 16:31 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I'll probably get one as a third camera for next year. I find myself in situations sometimes where I wonder what the fuck I'm doing placing 5 grands worth of camera in the line of fire when I could have a cheapie in the side pocket of the camera bag for those one off shots. The people on the pro forums I frequent have use the high end Vixia (they are called something else in the UK) alongside their EX1's with pleasing results. Still looks like camcorder footage natch but if you stick a wide angle adaptor on them you can get away with fleeting wide shots etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 21:25 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
parm wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I'll probably get one as a third camera for next year. I find myself in situations sometimes where I wonder what the fuck I'm doing placing 5 grands worth of camera in the line of fire when I could have a cheapie in the side pocket of the camera bag for those one off shots. The people on the pro forums I frequent have use the high end Vixia (they are called something else in the UK) alongside their EX1's with pleasing results. Still looks like camcorder footage natch but if you stick a wide angle adaptor on them you can get away with fleeting wide shots etc.

Legria in the UK. As I said earlier, I've got an HF-20. It wasn't cheap for a consumer camcorder, but with a monopod, and a bit of time in the edit, it's really quite remarkably good (although low-light performance is poor - but that's not really a problem most of the time). The HFC range is even more impressive.

I've been vaguely pondering a wide-adapter for a while - I love wide-angle in my still photos - but getting hold of things like that can be difficult and expensive; any recommendations for where to pick one up from?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:18 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:
I've been vaguely pondering a wide-adapter for a while - I love wide-angle in my still photos - but getting hold of things like that can be difficult and expensive; any recommendations for where to pick one up from?

Ignore the shit website, Hague are great:

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera%20supports%20systems.htm

They have lots of great stuff such as jib arms etc. But they do sell wide angle adaptors. Although keep in mind sticking a wide angle on a domestic camcorder still won't be as wide as the stock lens on a bigger camera.

A wide angle for my EX1 is 400 quid. Ouch!

Remember that most wide angle adaptor will only allow a partial zoom at best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 22:24 
baron of techno

Yes, but what about for basic training graduation?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:01 
Chinny chin chin

kalmar wrote:
Yes, but what about for basic training graduation?

This:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/public/view_item_cat.php?catalogue_number=sony_srw-9000

NB: You may need a lens as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:31 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
parm wrote:

They have lots of great stuff such as jib arms etc. But they do sell wide angle adaptors. Although keep in mind sticking a wide angle on a domestic camcorder still won't be as wide as the stock lens on a bigger camera.

Damn you, I'm now looking at Steadicams. You're going to cost me money, you are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:52 
Chinny chin chin

parm wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
parm wrote:

Damn you, I'm now looking at Steadicams. You're going to cost me money, you are.

Get a Fig Rig. It's the best way to get any small camera to look like something far heavier on screen.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]