Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Nick Griffin on Question Time October 22nd
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:02 
Ready for action

It is being filmed in London and Unite Against Facism have already said they will stage a protest. I am actually pleased this is going ahead because it will be very interesting to see what is said. It will also be interesting to see if there are any genuine BNP supporters in the audience who are willing to speak out.
Lib Dems are expecting to send Chris Huhne but no one else is being mentioned yet. I think we should all watch.

Post subject: Re: Nick Griffin on Question Time October 22nd
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:05 

Question Time has been a baying mob for a long time now, this should be no different. I hope Straw makes a total cunt of Griffin, they should have Prescott, Mandleson and Tony Benn on there as well, never mind the fucking Tories or the Lib Dems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:06 

Actually fuck it I'd put Blair out there again, script by Campbell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:08 
Ready for action

I think that refusing to go on when he is there is missing a trick a bit, since basically the whole population will applaud everything you say against Nick Griffin and if you were able to trip him up then you'd be a national hero. Tony Blair would be good though, aye ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:21 
Excellent Member

I think it's important to expose the BNP to a public forum. It's only when these types are put under the spotlight that the lies are exposed and given pretty much everything they say is an outright lie, it should be pretty entertaining to see Griffin destroyed by proper argument, rather than him promoting his one "Darkies Out!" policy.

This is what the UAF don't understand. Although their motives are good, banning the BNP will simply push support underground where it will ferment into hatred and before too long it will manifest itself in the resurgence of groups like Combat-18.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:28 
Ready for action

End of an Era wrote:
I think it's important to expose the BNP to a public forum. It's only when these types are put under the spotlight that the lies are exposed and given pretty much everything they say is an outright lie, it should be pretty entertaining to see Griffin destroyed by proper argument, rather than him promoting his one "Darkies Out!" policy.

This is what the UAF don't understand. Although their motives are good, banning the BNP will simply push support underground where it will ferment into hatred and before too long it will manifest itself in the resurgence of groups like Combat-18.

:this:

There are some ignorant people (and I mean ignorant literally and not as an insult) who do not understand why the BNP are bad so giving him this sort of exposure to sensible debate rather than just media hysteria is a good thing. I don't expect the ignorant people will be watching Question Time (unless I suppose they are attracted by the idea of seeing Nick Griffin speak) but if he does mess up it will be played to death on every news outlet so rather than winning supporters I harbour hope that it will actually be detrimental to his reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:31 
Isn't that lovely?

http://www.tomharris.org.uk/2009/09/07/ ... tion-time/

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:31 
Chinny chin chin

A few months back I was driving up the A34 and Radio 5 had a BNP representative on as a guest.

Fascinating listening, he dug himself a hole and bless him he kept on digging. A pig ignorant wanker who did a great job of showing everyone what the BNP are like.

Give them lots of exposure, the more people who get to hear these clowns the less anyone apart from the retarded are likely to vote for them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:32 
Isn't that lovely?

oh and http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup ... hp?id=2502

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:57 
Excellent Member

Whilst I'm on the topic of racism and politics what really pisses me off about the mainstream parties, and what lets fringe parties like the BNP gain ground, is that they all shy away from topics like immigration. I don't know if they fear being tarred with the "racist" brush or if it's because nobody actually has a clue about policy, but the net result is we can't have a mature debate about it.

Without that sort of sensible national debate it remains a hot topic that racists like the BNP manipulate for all it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 
PC Gamer

The other side of the argument is that even if your intent is to expose and ridicule the BNP, putting them in the same space as mainstream political parties legitimises the BNP by proxy.

See: studies showing that including a "proper" scientist in a documentary on woo makes the average viewer more likely to believe that the woo has merit, regardless of what the scientist actually says.

Not sure it'd be desirable to deny the BNP their voice in this sort of forum given the degree of popular support they have - everyone should be entitled to free speech, even bastards. But it's really not as cut and dried as "the more people that hear them, the more likely people are to realise they're wankers who can barely string two sentences together."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Rodafowa wrote:
The other side of the argument is that even if your intent is to expose and ridicule the BNP, putting them in the same space as mainstream political parties legitimises the BNP by proxy.

The BNP are a perfectly legitimate political party*. While I'm saddened that the shower of cunts has got so much support in this country, I'm constantly surprised that there are people who seem to think that they shouldn't be allowed to exist, or somehow shouldn't be allowed the same 'rights' as other parties. Discrimination is still discrimination no matter who (or what) you're discriminating against.
This is going to be an interesting show. Don't make the mistake of thinking Griffin is a stupid man because he has strange beliefs, he's not, he's a clever mother fucker.

*As Roda touched upon later in his post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 

Grim... wrote:
This is going to be an interesting show. Don't make the mistake of thinking Griffin is a stupid man because he has strange beliefs, he's not, he's a clever mother fucker.
:this: People seem to think he's going to make an idiot out of himself, I'm not so sure he won't score some points. Which worries me, but I agree with Grim...: they get votes, we can't ignore they exist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:54 

Grim... wrote:
The BNP are a perfectly legitimate political party*

They're whites only, it's in their constitution. Legal, certainly. I wouldn't describe them as legitimate though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:57 
Gogmagog

There is no viable argument to not give the BNP a platform, as most of it boils down to "I don't like what they are saying". Even if you find their views abhorrent, not providing a platform for them to speak on is even more abhorrent, given that they are a) a political party and b) quite a popular one.

Given that more than one in twenty peole voted for the BNP, it's a considerable slice of the population.

The UAF and their ilk really irritate me as well, if they wanted the bNP to not be elected, then they should have done more campaigning for other parties.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 
PC Gamer

To make it absolutely clear, I'm in no way saying that the BNP shouldn't be allowed on Question Time, just that the overarching sentiment in this thread of "Good! Now people will see their true colours!" is a bit misplaced.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 
Gogmagog

What will happen is stupid as fuck Anti Fascists will hold some kind of protest inside the venue and it'll get cancelled or things thrown at Mr Griffin. As anti fascists are generally stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

MaliA wrote:
What will happen is stupid as fuck Anti Fascists will hold some kind of protest inside the venue and it'll get cancelled or things thrown at Mr Griffin. As anti fascists are generally stupid.

Extremists of all kinds are mostly stupid, to be fair.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 

It take intelligence, skill and wit to win an informed debate hence it is easier to throw things and yell "Get out". Then there's the B.N.P.......

Cheer yourself up
Amiga Power Scans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:

The BNP are a perfectly legitimate political party*. While I'm saddened that the shower of cunts has got so much support in this country, I'm constantly surprised that there are people who seem to think that they shouldn't be allowed to exist, or somehow shouldn't be allowed the same 'rights' as other parties.

I agree with you, that they should be allowed a stage and to (hopefully) be shown to be nasty sods and be ridiculed, but, y'know, are you going to be happy to see BNP party political broadcasts on the BBC?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 
Isn't that lovely?

How does it go?

"I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:16 
Gogmagog

Malc wrote:
How does it go?

"I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"

Malc

I would have said:

Quote:
Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This Article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

But, yeah, I agree.

Solution is simple(s):

Don't want the BNP on QT or having PPB on the BBC?
Organize and VOTE! Citizens.
It's only the voters that are to blame, no one else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:
I agree with you, that they should be allowed a stage and to (hopefully) be shown to be nasty sods and be ridiculed, but, y'know, are you going to be happy to see BNP party political broadcasts on the BBC?

Lord no, but I'd be even less happy if they weren't allowed them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:39 

Grim... wrote:
There clearly should be some cap on number of seats you stand for or something on who gets a party political broadcast. If I start the Loud Welsh party, standing in just my area and consisting of just me, then I don't get 5 minutes of prime time on BBC1. If I did, I'd start the Colgate Clean Teeth party and sell the slot as ad time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
There clearly should be some cap on number of seats you stand for or something on who gets a party political broadcast. If I start the Loud Welsh party, standing in just my area and consisting of just me, then I don't get 5 minutes of prime time on BBC1. If I did, I'd start the Colgate Clean Teeth party and sell the slot as ad time.

I thought there is a cap, and a minimum number of things.

Quote:
Other registered parties may qualify for a broadcast on the basis of contesting one sixth or more of the seats up for election, modified as appropriate for proportional representation systems. The four nations of the UK will be considered separately. Parties which qualify in one or two of the nations of England, Scotland and Wales will be offered broadcasts on ITV, in the appropriate regions of those nations. Parties which qualify in all of these three nations will additionally be offered broadcasts on Channel 4, Five and national commercial radio (provided these broadcasters are carrying the relevant series of broadcasts; see items 5 – 9 above).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 

MaliA wrote:
Clearly, I meant to write, "I expect there's a cap".

Now, who wants to find out how far the BNP are from qualifying?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Clearly, I meant to write, "I expect there's a cap".

Now, who wants to find out how far the BNP are from qualifying?

I'm 99% sure they had a PPB for the European elections. Otherwise, they would need to stand candidates in 108 or more constituencies, and, not being party to their election plans I dunno. I'll ask someone next time I'm in the pub.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:50 
Sleepyhead

They did have one, didn't they? I remember it beign terrible, and Charlie Brooker mocking it heavily.

Or was that just something on their website.

Pretty sure it was a PPB though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 

Yup

http://www.thebadrash.com/2009/05/22/bn ... idiculous/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 

Curiosity wrote:
They did have one, didn't they? I remember it beign terrible, and Charlie Brooker mocking it heavily.

Or was that just something on their website.

Pretty sure it was a PPB though.

Yes, I think it was. Didn't he compare the opening line of (somthing like) "Please don't switch off!" to commencing foreplay with "please don't throw up!"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:05 
Ready for action

Rodafowa wrote:
To make it absolutely clear, I'm in no way saying that the BNP shouldn't be allowed on Question Time, just that the overarching sentiment in this thread of "Good! Now people will see their true colours!" is a bit misplaced.

I don't think that Nick Griffin will be in any way under prepared for Question Time, in fact I am certain he is very deliberatley practicing speaking about the topics he can expect to be raised, making sure not to answer them in a way which highlights the more unsavoury aspects of his parties politics.
However, I am hopeful that during the course of the show he might perhaps slip up once and say something or respond to something during a heated debate which reflects his (and his parties) true feelings.

The point Rodafowa made about them potentially being seen to be more legitimate just by sharing a stage with the other parties is an interesting one. I would not be happy to see them denied that though because as much as I don't like them, they have been voted in by the public. I also wonder how much that would count in this instance anyway-I would expect that the only people who this (by this I mean the possibility their QT appearance could make them seem more legitimate) could possibly influence are people who don't know what all the fuss about. People who basically don't mind about the sinister side to the BNP. So regardless of what happens on QT, regardless of the information about the BNPs party politics we are exposed to in the media before, during and after their appearance, I don't see these people suddenly caring any more or any less.

Sadly, I work with people who don't really give much thought to this situation and during conversations have been heard to voice support for a fair few of the BNPs ideas. People like that might change their minds depending on the media coverage, but I don't think that very many people will watch it as an open minded individual and be won over by the BNP.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:07 

Everyone in the QT audience should be briefed to do the humming thing that we used to do to wind up teachers, every time he opens his obnoxious fucking gob.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
Sadly, I work with people who don't really give much thought to this situation and during conversations have been heard to voice support for a fair few of the BNPs ideas.

Nothing wrong with that, they have some good ones.
Just because your party has bad ideals at heart doesn't mean it can't come up with good ideas for less important things - indeed, I'd argue this is something the BNP is good at, and has a lot to do with how they got so many supporters.

I'd also imagine that they'd have fought damned hard to keep your factory open.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:19 
Can you dig it?

markg wrote:
Everyone in the QT audience should be briefed to do the humming thing that we used to do to wind up teachers, every time he opens his obnoxious fucking gob.

Heh, we used to do that too. And also to upset one supply teacher, didjeridoo noises. I don't know how or why that one started.

I don't have much to say about this really other than agreeing that an open, informed debate is the only way to expose and counter this sort of problem - and as Grim... says working out which ideas are good and can be separated away from the nasty racism of the BNP, and used by other parties.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:19 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
Sadly, I work with people who don't really give much thought to this situation and during conversations have been heard to voice support for a fair few of the BNPs ideas.

Just because your party has bad ideals at heart doesn't mean it can't come up with good ideas for less important things - indeed, I'd argue this is something the BNP is good at, and has a lot to do with how they got so many supporters.

mr Grim.. is correct.

I can't be arsed to find my comparison of the Green party's policies with the BNP's during the run up to the Euro elections, but it's here somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:20 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:

I know you don't like speed cameras Grim... but this is going too far!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:21 
Gogmagog

kalmar wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I know you don't like speed cameras Grim... but this is going too far!

Can teh Grim..Mobile get to 30?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:22 

Does the BNP have genuinely good ideas? My impression was that they make enormous numbers of promises about more money for local services that sound jolly nice but were mututally exclusive, barring a huge increase in taxation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:22 
UltraMod

The Green Party are terrible and I consider myself a bit of an envirofreak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Can teh Grim..Mobile get to 30?

It can't get under 30. When he gets home he has to leap out of the car, at which point it then drives itself around the block until he's ready to use it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:29 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Does the BNP have genuinely good ideas? My impression was that they make enormous numbers of promises about more money for local services that sound jolly nice but were mututally exclusive, barring a huge increase in taxation.

MaliA wrote:
With smaller parties looking to make gains in the Euro Elections, I've had a look at UKIP, BNP and Mebyon Kernow and their policies. MK has described itself as a center left party before, but the similarit in policies surprised me.

Interestingly, MK and UKIP do have some common ground as regards fishing policy.

MK wishes for:

Quote:
each region having control over its own fishery. The fishermen of Cornwall must have direct representation when stock management issues are discussed and decided.

BNP:

Quote:
We are pledged to ensure the restoration of Britain’s once great fishing industry with the reimposition of the former exclusion zones around our coast.

and UKIP wish for:

Quote:
Restoring British waters and fishing to national control by leaving the European Union Common Fisheries Policy

Environment:

MK:

Quote:
A zero waste strategy aiming at the elimination of landfilling and incineration, which invests in the radical reduction of waste generated by industry, business and households and increases reuse and recycling. This will aid the economy by increasing business efficiency and enabling Cornwall to promote itself as among the worlds leading Green economies.

BNP:

Quote:
Our ideal for Britain is that of a clean, beautiful country, free of pollution in all its forms.

We will enforce standards to curb those practices, whether by business or the individual, which cause environmental damage.

“The polluter pays to clean up the mess” must become a fact of life, not an electioneering slogan.

In towns we would work to replace the brutalist modernism of 1960s-style-architecture with a blend of traditional local styles and materials and ensure that developments take place on a more human scale.

UKIP:

Quote:
UKIP would introduce a series of regulatory policies and fiscal incentives to encourage manufacturers and suppliers to adopt or re-adopt recyclable packaging – such as glass,
cardboard, tin cans and recyclable plastics – and to reduce the quantity of overall packaging. We propose a ‘litter deposit’ attached to all recyclable packaging which is reclaimable from participating retailers... While UKIP says that much more waste can be and should be recycled, we also
recognise that recycling itself has an environmental cost, and some waste will be best
used to generate heat and power. For other suitable waste, landfill is still the best
environmental option, particularly with associated methane recovery and electricity
generation.

People:

MK:

Quote:
* Restore the link between pensions and wages, and increase the state pension to the EU average.
* Guarantee free personal care for the elderly, the ill and the disabled
* Guarantee the right of the frail and vulnerable to care appropriate to their needs.
* Guarantee the right of disabled people to play a full part in society.
* Increase support for students. We are opposed to tuition and top-up fees, as introduced by Labour, support a return to grants for first degree courses and would reinstate the right of students to claim benefits such as housing benefit.
* Help first-time buyers to gain access to affordable housing.
* Guarantee the right of people to live in the community of their choice, without the threat of crime.

UKIP:

Quote:
We will have a grammar school in every town. We will restore standards of education and improve skills training. Student grants will replace student loans.

We will radically reform the working of the NHS with an Insurance Fund, whilst upholding the ‘free at the point of care’ principles.

We will give people the vote on policing priorities, go back to proper beat policing

We will make welfare simpler and fairer, introduce ‘workfare’ to get people back to work, and a new citizens pension and private pensions scheme insurance.

MK:

Quote:
It is our belief that the historic nation of Cornwall, with its own distinct identity, language and heritage, has the same right to self-determination as Scotland and Wales. We should have more say in how our lives are run and Mebyon Kernow is leading the campaign for the self-government of Cornwall, through the establishment of a legislative Assembly.

We will play our part in building a confident and outward-looking Cornwall, that has the power to take decisions for itself.

BNP:
Quote:
We favour more democracy, not less, not just at national but at regional and local level.

Power should be devolved to the lowest level possible so that local communities can make decisions which affect them. We will remove legal curbs on freedom of speech imposed by successive Governments over the last 40 years. We will implement a Bill of Rights guaranteeing fundamental freedoms to the British people.

We will ensure that ordinary British people have real democratic power over their own lives and that Government, local and national, is truly accountable to the people who elect it.

MK:
Quote:
The Party for Cornwall is committed to a just and fair society. We believe that effective public intervention is needed to combat poverty, tackle social deprivation and fight for the disadvantaged. We will strive to build strong inclusive communities with free and equal access to well-funded education, healthcare and welfare services, run for the benefit of everyone.

BNP:

Quote:
We will end the practice of politically correct indoctrination in all its guises and we will restore discipline in the classroom, give authority back to teachers and put far greater emphasis on training young people in the industrial and technological skills necessary in the modern world.

We will also seek to instill in our young people knowledge of and pride in the history, cultures and heritage of the native peoples of Britain.

We are wholly committed to a free, fully funded National Health Service for all British citizens.

We will revitalise the Health Service by boosting staff and bed numbers, slashing unnecessary bureaucracy and by addressing the root cause of low recruitment and retention - low pay.

The conditions in which many of Britain’s old people are forced to live are a national disgrace.

We are pledged to ensure that all our old folk are able to live in comfortable homes, and will restore the earnings link with pensions.

Elderly people who have paid a lifetime of taxes and reared families should not have to sell their homes to pay for care.

The outcome of those aims are fairly similar, though, even if the methods are different. Taken from MK 'Core Values' and the BNP's website, which, amusingly, doesn't appear to have any "core values"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3883&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fishing&start=90

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:32 
Excellent Member

Quote:
In towns we would work to replace the brutalist modernism of 1960s-style-architecture with a blend of traditional local styles and materials and ensure that developments take place on a more human scale.

FUCK YOU, BNP!

(fully-paid up member of Brutalists Anonymous! :hat: )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:38 
Ready for action

Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:

It wasn't the good ideas I was talking about. I have been pretty shocked by the views I have encountered since I started here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Stuff

That all basically says "We'll make bad stuff be good. With our magic free money pot."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:44 
Sitting balls-back folder

Quote:
BNP:
Quote:
Our ideal for Britain is that of a clean, beautiful country, free of pollution in all its forms.
Except by pollution they mean The Darkies and Those Non-British White Darkies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:47 
UltraMod

Oh yeah, apparently anyone who's not white isn't actually British.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:49 

All you Normon and Saxon invaders can get to fucking fuck, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
superdupergill wrote:

This is one reason I get annoyed when people try to dismiss an idea based solely on the fact that it's espoused by people who happen to also have other, shittier ideas. I suppose the reverse is also annoying - people who think that something automatically has merit just because Socrates or Newton or Nietzsche said it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:50 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
All you Normon and Saxon invaders can get to fucking fuck, too.

Cock off back to Mordor, Welshie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 14:51 
UltraMod

sinister agent wrote:
This is one reason I get annoyed when people try to dismiss an idea based solely on the fact that it's espoused by people who happen to also have other, shittier ideas. I suppose the reverse is also annoying - people who think that something automatically has merit just because Socrates or Newton or Nietzsche said it.

Yes, that was where I was kind of going with the Green Party comment. People think 'ooh, brilliant they want to save the environment', but don't realise they have some really fucked up policies.

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next