Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Xbox 360 is working fine and has been since I had it.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:00 
SavyGamer

Well, OK, I have had one RROD... ?:|

Post subject: Re: My Xbox 360 is working fine and has been since I had it.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:13 
Comfortably Dumb

Mine's been working perfectly too since it came back from being repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:22 
Pyrotechnician!!!1

Absolutely no problems with mine so far (I've only had it about a year)

WARNING!!! DO NOT CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE THE SIGHT OF MAXIMUM PWNAGE!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:30 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Right - obviously the best way to make it break is to say its working - i've had mine since Xmas 2007 , and its still going.

However every time it does something 'odd' , you think ... is this it .... is it going to break now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:48 
Full of plumptiousness

Mine got the RRoD about 18 months after purchase. I reported it to Microsoft. They sent a courier out to my workplace to pick it up for me, and then a week later a new one was delivered which has since worked fine. All free of charge.

Probably the best bit of customer service I've ever experienced.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's the spirit!! :hat:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:03 
UltraMod

I've had one RRoD, but I'd stick with my 360 even if I'd had ten; it's simply the best gaming system I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:04 

Yes, I've had two 360s and both have RROD'd (the first after I gave it to my nephew). Still not really even slightly tempted by a PS3 though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:15 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I have never owned a PS3, so can't say I wouldn't want one, but I am happy with it my 360 despite it breaking twice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:24 

Eh? I've never had AIDS but I know I don't want it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 13:43 

I've had 4 Xbox 360s and 1 PS3. I can play more or less the same games on either, so decided to stick with the console that won't randomly break down any second (I appreciate I'm pretty much baiting a YLOD here) and sound like a jumbo jet about to take off when I'm trying to play a game on it.

That said, I appreciate they're a lot more reliable nowadays and the NXE gets around all the noise it makes, so if Forza 3 turns out as super-awesome as it looks like it will, I could be tempted back into the Xbox fold. I'm the only person I know with a PS3 rather than a 360, so it would also be nice to play online with people I know rather than randoms.

Edit: Are the only ones you can buy with the Hard drive Elites now? Bit of a shit if that's the case. My last 360 was an Elite and I always thought they looked nicer in white than black.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 14:11 

The PS3, like the Mac, is one of those machines that always seems to be utterly broken when someone is showing one to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 14:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Zio wrote:
Edit: Are the only ones you can buy with the Hard drive Elites now? Bit of a shit if that's the case. My last 360 was an Elite and I always thought they looked nicer in white than black.

Yes , although there are special editions (like the Resi 5 one in red) and you may be able to find a 60gb 'pro' if any shops still have stock , there was a thread on hotdealsuk which said Asda were selling those off for £120 about a week ago.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 15:48 
baron of techno

Mine is working fine and has been since I had it (which was immediately after it coming back from a RROD repair)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 15:50 

My launch-model 360 was sent away for repair twice (once for DVD drive failure, once for RRoD) and had started crashing a lot before I traded it in for a Jasper-chipset replacement.

My six-months-after-launch v1 PS3 is working fine, incidentally.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 16:26 
Excellent Member

I bought my XBox 360 on boxing day 2006 and sold it to a mate 6 weeks ago. I've never had any problems with it at all. (Neither has he incidentally). I'm getting a new console later this year and considered the PS3 for about 3 minutes. I came to my senses though and now I just can't wait until Mrs 69Hoops hands me my crimbo present this year. :DD

P.S. If my Christmas present isn't, as promised, an Xbox360 Elite I'll be needing a good lawyer to file the divorce papers for me! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 
Excellent Member

I had the grinding disc drive fault. No RRoD's here as of yet. MS were more helpful than Sony when my PS2 went on the blink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:52 
Excellent Member

My Xbox 360 lasted almost exactly 2 years to the day I bought it in 2007 before the dreaded RROD. Although it's complete arse that this happened in the first pace, the repair service was exceptionally quick (and free).

If it goes again and I end up having to pay for the repair I may not bother, but having spent a fair bit on XBLA I probably would go for one of the newer Arcade models. (I do hope the next Xbox is designed in such a way to allow backwards compatibility, especially with XBLA games).

Aside from the hardware problems, I still think it's one of the best consoles I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:56 

End of an Era wrote:
Although it's complete arse that this happened in the first pace, the repair service was exceptionally quick (and free).
It bothers me that people praise Microsoft for this. They shipped a £300 consumer electronics device with a catastrophic design failure they should have caught in QA. The extended warranty and reasonable (ish... there are plenty of less happy people too) customer service is the least they can do to avoid getting sued.

It's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's partly a pre-emptive legal requirement (the alternative being losing a big class-action claim) and partly a PR move to counter the (let's face it) terrible image the 360 had as "the thing that breaks".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:57 
Honey Boo Boo

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

My six-months-after-launch v1 PS3 is working fine, incidentally.

How can you tell if it's working if you never use it? :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:01 

MetalAngel wrote:
How can you tell if it's working if you never use it? :p
Because of media playback, I use my PS3 about as much as I use my 360; sometimes more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The extended warranty and reasonable (ish... there are plenty of less happy people too) customer service is the least they can do to avoid getting sued.

I think it's more the fact that in 99% of cases, invoking post-sales customer service for anything at all is a horrific, drawn out, bothersome experience. It's a nice surprise that for once, it's made pretty simple and quick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 13:00 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, try to get Sky to replace a faulty box, or talk to Sony about well anything faulty...

Yes its a legal requirement that they do it, but it seems standard operating procedure is 'mess these fuckers around till they give up'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 15:03 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
Although it's complete arse that this happened in the first pace, the repair service was exceptionally quick (and free).
It bothers me that people praise Microsoft for this. They shipped a £300 consumer electronics device with a catastrophic design failure they should have caught in QA. The extended warranty and reasonable (ish... there are plenty of less happy people too) customer service is the least they can do to avoid getting sued.

It's not out of the goodness of their hearts. It's partly a pre-emptive legal requirement (the alternative being losing a big class-action claim) and partly a PR move to counter the (let's face it) terrible image the 360 had as "the thing that breaks".

In the context of other household goods, though, I think it's actually pretty reasonable. In the past 6 months I've had two fairly new high priced items go kaput; one a £2000 oven and the other a £300 tumble drier. Both expired out of warranty, the oven was repairable but cost £500 to get fixed but the tumble drier was beyond economic repair and so got landfilled (or taken to the recycling centre and then landfilled by the council).

Fair enough the 360 may have a design fault, fair enough MS may have been slow to accept fault and fair enough it may just be more economical for MS to do this rather than face law suits, but as a consumer I was impressed at the speed and convenience of MS returns process.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 23:15 
Excellent Painter

See, I could invoke all kinds of analogies with Audi and BMW being no more reliable than Ford or Vauxhall now, but the owners love the fact that if there's a problem it gets dealt with quickly and courteously. The premium car companies know this - hell, I know someone who's wife got her brand new BMW 535D Touring stuck on a friend's lawn at a house party and BMW sent a tow truck to get it out and didn't charge her.
Bottom line is this - if what you have purchased you like and it breaks, you will ultimately be very forgiving of the fault if the CUSTOMER SERVICE feels like you're being SERVED and you're not being told to fuck off.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 23:37 
Chinny chin chin

myp wrote:
I've had one RRoD, but I'd stick with my 360 even if I'd had ten; it's simply the best gaming system I've ever owned.

Says the man who never owned a GX4000.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 

Have to say I am quite impressed with Microsoft over this. Mine broke Tuesday night, UPS collected it Wednesday morning and it went off to Germany. Today it says that it has been shipped back to me.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]