Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eco Towns
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:27 
Eggcellent Member

Ummmm . . . my two penneth, haven't read everyone's comments so apologies if I'm just waffling (which is most likely)

Eco Towns are something that I am interested in, construction of circa 5000 new homes is also something I am interested in, being a surveyor and that like.

Typically on a project of this nature a consortium of developers will form a joint venture (in partnership with the local council who will more than likely offer up the land at a discounted rate to encourage development) and develop a phased plan for the construction of the private and social housing over a number of years. It may be that something in the region of 20% of the total number of homes will be social housing (I haven't looked at the website, but I will at some point and then probably be proved wrong in everything I am mumbling). The developer led consortium can then build their 4000 homes, schools, community facilities and infrastructure and sell the houses on the open market, the 1000 or so units of social housing will get transferred to a housing authority who will manage the tennancies for their lifetime.

The Government decided some time ago that their expertise wasn't necessarily in the mass production of housing - the housing developers are best placed to do that given the massive economies of scale involved in the construction of 25+ units at any one time. Moving away from construction, the council/Government can concentrate on managing the housing instead.

Provision of social housing is a part of any development over a certain threshold (I think it's anything over about 15 units, then you will need to consider providing social housing or you wont get planning permission). I think it's noteworthy in this instance because of the shear numbers involved. There's a development in Gloucester called Kingsway that I was involved in and the numbers there are pretty similar. By the way the school we built there is a brilliant building (BREEAM Excellent fact fans) and I love it.

The Eco factor however isn't that special. New homes in Wales will soon be subject to meeting new building regulations and the highest standard of the Code for Sustainable Homes which imposes targets for carbon emissions over the lifecycle of the house(s), combined with a drive for green travel plans that already form part of planning legislation. The opportunities of banging up 40+ sub standard units on a bit of field are few and far between.

As for New Towns, I fucking love 'em. Too many roundabouts in Cwmbran but as easy as it is to mock it for being a Valley's town it is great place. I'll let you know more once I've finished Rebuilding A Valley by the Cwmbran Development Corporation which is a book about how the Welsh Office developed Cwmbran the plans they made and why.

There is a massive shortage of good quality social housing, I'm not sure that I truly believe putting families in knackered old terraces is a good idea. The houses are more often than not falling apart (most of those are victorian terraces already 20 years past their design life and would be a massive maintenance burden whereas a new home should be good for 25 years before anything needs to be done), the communities that they're in are more often than not deprived areas already. Mixing social and private housing at least has the opportunity to create social diversity.

(I've only really written this to look busy for half an hour and I'm sure I'll be set straight by contingents of the Hive Mind)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Egg wrote:
As for New Towns, I fucking love 'em. Too many roundabouts in Cwmbran but as easy as it is to mock it for being a Valley's town it is great place. I'll let you know more once I've finished Rebuilding A Valley by the Cwmbran Development Corporation which is a book about how the Welsh Office developed Cwmbran the plans they made and why.

There is a massive shortage of good quality social housing, I'm not sure that I truly believe putting families in knackered old terraces is a good idea. The houses are more often than not falling apart (most of those are victorian terraces already 20 years past their design life and would be a massive maintenance burden whereas a new home should be good for 25 years before anything needs to be done), the communities that they're in are more often than not deprived areas already. Mixing social and private housing at least has the opportunity to create social diversity.

All of :this:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:38 
baron of techno

Damn, been too busy this afternoon.

/Pops in, checks last couple of messages.

All seems in order here, carry on, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, we should make sure that all the building roofs are constructed from the skins of polar bears and everyone who moves in gets given a Chevy V8.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:54 
Unpossible!

and coal fired heating, natch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:56 

Every house fitted as standard with hot and cold running orphan's tears.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 16:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrDavPaz wrote:

Wild caught hippies are trained to keep the boiler well stoked at all times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 17:00 
Unpossible!

Craster wrote:
MrDavPaz wrote:

Wild caught hippies are trained to keep the boiler well stoked at all times.

And given blankets made of seal hide and asbestos. Stolen from gypsies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:22 
Isn't that lovely?

When I was looking to move about 2 years ago, there were some "low cost" housing being built that we looked into, the problem was that the cost of buying the house was only for 40% of the house, the rest was made up with rent. I guess it's a way in to the housing market, but it's far from ideal.

Malc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:10 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

The other successful bids, which will still have to go through the planning process, were named as Rackheath, Norfolk, Whitehill Bordon, East Hampshire and the China Clay Community scheme, near St Austell, Cornwall.

My girlfriend designed this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:32 
Excellent Member

Bobbyaro wrote:

I hope that when it is built, the satellite view on Google Maps that part of it looks like a giant cock and balls.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:32 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Plissken wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

I hope that when it is built, the satellite view on Google Maps that part of it looks like a giant cock and balls.

Is that not Burnley :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:34 
Excellent Member

True.

Blackburn looks like a giant shit tip. And the satellite view is no better.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Plissken wrote:
True.

Blackburn looks like a giant shit tip. And the satellite view is no better.

Your not wrong..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 16:50 

Plissken wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

I keep telling her she should design her intials into everythingshe designs, but she won't do it. bloody boring professionals!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 17:13 
Plissken wrote:
True.

Blackburn is a giant shit tip. And the satellite view is no better.

FTFY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 
Gogmagog

And now an incinerator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 

Would that be part of the CHP system? If so, not a problem, they were already building a CHP (I think) so this will enlarge it slightly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 18:22 
Excellent Member

Quote:
And the expensive Keynesian approach has been rejected by a number of European countries, I'd thought.

The Germans and the French spent a hell of a lot of money (Germany actually a few more % points than we did) on financial stimulus methods in the last year. Plus their 'automatical stabilisers' of a more generous welfare state are incredibly Keynesian.

The most annoying thing about the Bicester town (I have a feeling that the 'affordable housing' will end up being housing associated-owned rather than council-owned) is that we were thrown to the wolves in order to prevent it going at Weston. Meanwhile, the town still has few facilities and an uncertain future when the MOD moves to Andover...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 18:39 

Peter St. John wrote:
Quote:
And the expensive Keynesian approach has been rejected by a number of European countries, I'd thought.

The Germans and the French spent a hell of a lot of money (Germany actually a few more % points than we did) on financial stimulus methods in the last year. Plus their 'automatical stabilisers' of a more generous welfare state are incredibly Keynesian.

The most annoying thing about the Bicester town (I have a feeling that the 'affordable housing' will end up being housing associated-owned rather than council-owned) is that we were thrown to the wolves in order to prevent it going at Weston. Meanwhile, the town still has few facilities and an uncertain future when the MOD moves to Andover...

Well that is part of the issue here. The Whitehill Borden MOD facility is closing also, and part of the idea with these developments is to attempt to make sure the town doesn't just die when a large proportion of its populace upsticks. Job and career creation are part of the long term aspects which have been weighed up in the decisions for these towns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 0:04 
Excellent Member

This whole New Eco Town plan seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me, for two reasons:

Firstly, all housing should be "affordable". The reason it's not is due to policy failures by government, greed on behalf of bankers and the false belief that property, especially in the South, is not in highly dangerous economic bubble that will leave a huge number of people in financial crisis when the Government's attempts to stave off the inevitable pin-prick eventually fail.

Secondly, it doesn't solve the real problem: that of the North/South divide. What needs to happen is a massive (and real rather than Government allocating Civil Service jobs) investment of jobs "up North". The concentration of wealth and prosperity in the South East needs to be better distributed. I don't think taxation is the answer here, unless it is to give tax breaks to companies willing to make the move - for a lot of companies moving would make a lot of sense as they really don't need to be based in the South and, anyway, the UK is such a small country it's entirely possible to drive practically anywhere within it, perhaps with an overnight stop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

End of an Era wrote:
The reason it's not is due to policy failures by government, greed on behalf of bankers and the false belief that property, especially in the South, is not in highly dangerous economic bubble that will leave a huge number of people in financial crisis when the Government's attempts to stave off the inevitable pin-prick eventually fail..

To be fair, the main reason it isn't is because any attempt to impose pricing controls on privately owned property would be a horrific disaster, so the fact that there are more people wanting houses than there are in houses means upwards price pressure. The rest is largely irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
End of an Era wrote:
The reason it's not is due to policy failures by government, greed on behalf of bankers and the false belief that property, especially in the South, is not in highly dangerous economic bubble that will leave a huge number of people in financial crisis when the Government's attempts to stave off the inevitable pin-prick eventually fail..

To be fair, the main reason it isn't is because any attempt to impose pricing controls on privately owned property would be a horrific disaster, so the fact that there are more people wanting houses than there are in houses means upwards price pressure. The rest is largely irrelevant.

Hang on, aren't you on holiday? Is it raining there or something?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:44 
Gogmagog

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfo ... 243633.stm

<places a fiver on it being Bicester>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DBSnappa wrote:
Hang on, aren't you on holiday? Is it raining there or something?

Nah, I'm just a massive nerd.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
End of an Era wrote:

I was listening to Vince Cable - must have been some time ago now - and his argument was that because the rise in house prices wasn't (and aren't now?) included in inflation measurements the measurements were skewed and therefore Government policy was ineffective.

I'm sure supply and demand plays some part in the rise, but I don't think it can account for the huge rises we've seen. For example, I bought my house in early 1998 for £120,000; the last time I had it valued it was "worth" close to £300,000. It just doesn't seem to me to be a sustainable rate of increase, especially since banks have stopped handing out 10x mortgages with no deposit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Reducing the availability of mortgages acts as an artificial constraint to mortgage prices, true - but the corrollary (that freely available mortgages force up house prices) is not true. All it means is that the pool of buyers that already want the house (the supply and demand point) are more likely to be able to get it.

Greedy bankers and bad policy certainly are to blame for the amount of people finding out that they can't afford to pay their mortgage, but that's likely to force house prices down more than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Is Borneo really that dull that a conversation about mortgages is a preferable activity? I'd have a word with your travel agent, chap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:47 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Is Borneo really that dull that a conversation about mortgages is a preferable activity? I'd have a word with your travel agent, chap.

POP Quiz:

What was that case where the man saved up all year to go on holiday, his only holiday of teh year and went to go to Switzerland or Austria to a hotel where there would be a party every night with fit babes and then, it turned out that there weren't and the yodelling was the local mechanic who turned up in his overalls?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 
Excellent Member

Craster wrote:
but the corrollary (that freely available mortgages force up house prices) is not true.

I'd have thought that an abundance of "cheap" money would ramp up prices simply because if the market is aware that all this cheap money is available it would tend to inflate prices to grab a larger chunk of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 
Gogmagog

End of an Era wrote:
Craster wrote:
but the corrollary (that freely available mortgages force up house prices) is not true.

I'd have thought that an abundance of "cheap" money would ramp up prices simply because if the market is aware that all this cheap money is available it would tend to inflate prices to grab a larger chunk of it.

I thought that's what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:

S'alright, we've banned him now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 13:11 
UltraMod

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 14:08 
INFINITE POWAH

Ha! Hi Craster! Say hi to Mrs Craster for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 17:23 
Excellent Member

Cunts. She's asleep and I'm bored. And you people think you're my mother. Cunts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:38 
UltraMod

Bogwoppit wrote:
Cunts. She's asleep and I'm bored. And you people think you're my mother. Cunts.

This is from someone with their fancy expensive eBook reader. READ A FUCKING BOOK!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:39 
Gogmagog

[url]http://www.bicesteradvertiser.net/news/4632995.Planned_eco_town_just_a_mile_away_from_Ardley_incinerator/] Incinerator to be 1 mile from EcoTown.[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
“I think they will have real problems selling the eco houses to people with eco-aspirations, when they are 1,400 metres away from an incinerator.”

Bucknell parish councillor Hazel Watt said: “What’s the sense in putting an incinerator 1,400 metres from an eco-town?

“It’s an environmental contradiction.

“It makes a nonsense of Government thinking.

“The villagers do not welcome the eco-development, but at the moment most attention is focused on the incinerator, because that’s imminent, that’s actually happening and we have got to fight it.”

I love the idea that if the incinerator was 50 miles away, there wouldn't be a problem. It's just because it's 'near' the eco-town that there's an issue. A good indication that they're trying to sell this houses to people who want to look like they're being eco-friendly but don't actually care about the real impact.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
Quote:
“I think they will have real problems selling the eco houses to people with eco-aspirations, when they are 1,400 metres away from an incinerator.”

Bucknell parish councillor Hazel Watt said: “What’s the sense in putting an incinerator 1,400 metres from an eco-town?

“It’s an environmental contradiction.

“It makes a nonsense of Government thinking.

“The villagers do not welcome the eco-development, but at the moment most attention is focused on the incinerator, because that’s imminent, that’s actually happening and we have got to fight it.”

I love the idea that if the incinerator was 50 miles away, there wouldn't be a problem. It's just because it's 'near' the eco-town that there's an issue. A good indication that they're trying to sell this houses to people who want to look like they're being eco-friendly but don't actually care about the real impact.

"What's wrong with building hospitals in the same town as munitions factories?"

"It makes a nonsense of government thinking!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:48 
baron of techno

The whole point of putting it close is to capture the heat from burning the waste. And so they don't have to transport the waste as far.

"the villagers" sound like a bunch of idiots. As you'd expect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:48 

Well, to be fair to them, an incinerator is a potential health risk to the people living there, it is entirely likely these two things were developed independently, and there should be an enquiry as to whether full thought has been given to the matter. On the other hand, these nimby tosspots can fuck off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 13:49 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Bobbyaro wrote:
Well, to be fair to them, an incinerator is a potential health risk to the people living there, it is entirely likely these two things were developed independently, and there should be an enquiry as to whether full thought has been given to the matter. On the other hand, these nimby tosspots can fuck off.

Free votes for life for the MP who says exactly this in the Commons.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 15:34 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:

I'm against both the incinerator AND the eco-town.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 15:36 
Sitting balls-back folder

I'm against the the developers, the target demographic and the complainants.

I think we've got everything covered between us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:43 
Gogmagog

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfo ... 314150.stm

Quote:

Plans for an energy from waste plant (EfW) in Oxfordshire have been rejected by county councillors....Councillors voting against the plans said the benefits of a waste disposal site did not outweigh the cost to the environment.

Good oh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 18:01 
Honey Boo Boo

Will it burn rotting meat and rabbits?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 18:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

So now they're going to resubmit for the Didcot site. How does that help the environment, exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 19:31 
Gogmagog

Craster wrote:
So now they're going to resubmit for the Didcot site. How does that help the environment, exactly?

Didcot's 40 minutes down the A34.

And has a coal fired power station.

And is a shithole, already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 19:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You know that incinerators blow stuff up into the sky, right? I'm pretty sure Bicester and Didcot share a sky.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 20:12 
baron of techno

Never underestimate NIMBYCUNT power.

Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next