Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Learning to play the drums
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:10 

I am giving serious thought to buying a real drumkit, some tutorial books, and maybe paying out for some lessons too to undo my Rock Band acquired bad habits.

What would I want in the way of a kit? A five-piece basic rock setup -- snare, 3x toms, kick, crash/ride/hihat -- with silencer pads (they'll be a must in my terrace house). "Beginner" kits in places online are around £200-250 but I'm sure they are shit. I would imagine taking £200 out into the second hand market and finding a £500 kit someone has given up on would be the way forwards -- but how do I go about telling the difference between "reasonable entry level" and "downright shit"?

And what about learning? Apart from the patience and diligence, which is up to me. Just books/videos, or would some lessons be a good idea? Anyone have any particular recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Beginner's drum kit RMD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:16 
UltraMod

Tama make very nice kits. You probably want a kick, one floor tom, two toms, a snare, hi-hat, with a ride/splash and crash cymbals. Perhaps only one cymbal to start with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:18 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Anyone have any particular recommendations?

Don't go on tour with Metallica.

Seriously, I'll ask a drummer i know if I see him in the next couple of days (Likely, as he's the barman in the pub and it's Aunt Sally tonight and he's the captain of the team, and MrsA is going out) AND for extra added credit, I'll ask my sister in law if she still has her drum kit and if she will sell it for much cheapness, although you might find a MaliNephew/MaliNeice curled up asleep in the bass drum. BUying second hand is a good idea, though. Why not start with a snare, cymbal and bass drum and work up from there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:19 
Gogmagog

Have texted sister in law for you. Something I do not enjoy doing. That's how much you mean to me, man.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:20 
For a beginner, all you'd really need is one of the cheap starter kits. At the end of the day a shell is a shell, just get some decent heads and stick them on and it'll make a world of difference in sound quality if you're really worried about that, but just something to learn on, the beginner kits, unbranded ones are fine really. The cymbals are a bit pants, very cheap, so I'd probably reccomend getting so bottom range sabians/paiste/ zildjians to begin with aswell (probably about £120ish new) but then aswell you'd need decent stands as a cheap hat stand won't be able to hold heavier hats.
I was lucky in that I got an ~£800 yamaha kit for £300 off my uncle.
You're probably better off getting a half decent one if you want to take it seriously, ie a cheap pearl one or something like that (maybe around £300) as the stands will be of better quality and they can be expensive on their own anyway £30+ incases.

In ways of learning... books are ok, I was self taught from books up to a point, basically to get the basics down, but I dont know anything about paradiddles and stuff like that, that's where a teacher would come into it, the more technical stuff is what they are a lot better at than books, as it's easier to learn by someone showing you what to do and telling you when you are wrong.

Sorry if that doesnt make any sense.!

Edit: and you'll want a full kit, Snare, 2 rack toms, floor tom, bass, hats, ride, crash.... but some may sell a crash/ride instead of both.

Edit Edit: If you find any 2nd hand kits and want me to take a look at them send me a link and I'll tell you my thoughts :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:30 

Get ear plugs or you'll end up with ears like mine.

My pal/drummer learnt the basics & then messed around with other drummers to learn different styles & techniques from them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:32 
WullieOoster wrote:
Get ear plugs or you'll end up with ears like mine.

Bah! You don't need ear plugs!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:33 

nickachu wrote:
I'm getting ear plugs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:34 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
nickachu wrote:
I'm getting ear plugs.

If only to save your ears from your own voice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:35 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

If it's silence you're after, you could always go electric. They feel a bit different to an acoustic, and I'm not sure how this would suit a beginner, but I never had a problem with my eletric one when I used to have it.

Also: Silncer pads on acoustics don't work nearly as well as you imagine them doing. You're still going to be making lots of noise.

edit: also: it really doesn't matter what you get. As long as it has something for each limb to work on, anything will do. Go minimalist and just have a snare, bass drum, hihat+pedal nad possibly one tom. No need for cymbals. Depends on what you want to play tough :]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:41 
Pod wrote:
Also: Silncer pads on acoustics don't work nearly as well as you imagine them doing. You're still going to be making lots of noise.

:this: it just dampens the noise really, still loud(ish) but more bareable for neighbours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:41 

I'd avoid a cheap starter kit and buy a decent second hand one for the same price. Same with any instrument, really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:42 
UltraMod

nickachu: all sound advice (arf), but I suspect the Doc wants something he can just buy and then play, rather than faffing around with putting different heads on, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:47 
myp wrote:
nickachu: all sound advice (arf), but I suspect the Doc wants something he can just buy and then play, rather than faffing around with putting different heads on, etc.

it takes a couple of minutes to change a head, Im just saying that the cheap kits, can be made to sound better with better heads... but if he's just gonna stick dampening pads on them, then it doesnt really matter, so a cheap one will be fine, as he can play it, and if he doesnt like it or whatever it isnt as much money wasted... I dont know...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:52 
Comfortably Dumb

Plug your Rock Band kit into your PC and write an app for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:54 
UltraMod

devilman wrote:

Is it the right time to mention that the GHWT kit comes with MIDI out? Also, there's already some drumkit apps in the Indie Games section.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:55 

• I know they are still loud with damper pads. I'm thinking more of my neighbours than of myself.
  • I was thinking of the five-piece standard rock setup because they often come as a set, which seems more sensible than buying individual bits. Also I imagine some tutorials might be based around that layout?
  • Electric will cost a lot more than acoustic unless they are crap, so I'm going to go with acoustic.
  • Nick/myp: if the primary thing you give up on those really cheap kits is the drumheads and the cymbals then maybe I will consider one. My local freeads has numerous less-than-six-months-old bottom-feeder beginner kits for under £100, that would have cost £250 new; to be fair, at those prices, I can't go far wrong I suppose.
  • Sound quality on the cheap kit isn't a massive consideration, particularly if silencers make that worse (I hadn't considered that bit). I don't know for sure that I will stick with this; if I do, I can consider a better purchase down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 15:59 
the heads and the cymbals + stands are generally the worst parts of the cheap kits, ie you can bend the cheap cymbals with your bare hands. But I suppose if you do get into it it's something you can expand on over time, like get a new crash and stand this year... then a while later get a new ride + stand etc... then replace the shells.
If they've got ones for £100 or so in the freeads see if you can go and have a go, and have a feel of the cheapness and if it's acceptable to you may be the best bet, or ask in a local music store (yes they are bound to try to sell you stuff, but will probably be honest about the hardware and stuff)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:06 

IIRC dampening pads only stop a drum "ringing" & change it's tone, a bit like taping the heads. They don't make a huge difference to SPL.
Pod wrote:
If it's silence you're after, you could always go electric. They feel a bit different to an acoustic, and I'm not sure how this would suit a beginner, but I never had a problem with my eletric one when I used to have it.
Well out Doc's budget by at least a grand but there's a local band that use Roland V-Drums & they sound fantastic, the drums sound meaty even at low volumes & their instrument & vocal levels are usually spot on as they know how loud the drums are going to be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:13 
Paws for thought

nickachu wrote:
myp wrote:

it takes a couple of minutes to change a head,

If you know what you're doing, yes. If you don't, you end up with a horrific sounding drum for hours of work.

Advice: Really, really Cheap. You don't know what you want, and you won't know until you've been playing for a while. No point in spending more than you have to and missing the target by quite some way. (For the record, I got Zildian new beat 13" hi-hats, 18" medium A zildjian ride, 16" medium A zildjain crash, 18" thin A zildjian crash, 8" AA sabian spalsh and 16" medium thin AA Sabian crash, and janus hardware. For the rest, I have a set of flats and an old tama kit. Aquarian heads, and vater sticks. Would I have gone for such a curious selection if I hadn't developed a fair bit as a drummer? Not a chance.)

Also cheap, because the amount of people who've decided to take up an instrument and find it's too hard/not enough time/repetitive etc etc after having spent too much.

As said, silencers don't silence the drums - mesh heads will help, but obviously not with the cymbals. Fortunately, I had a free practice area.

As regards tuition, I've never done it. Learned exclusively from hearing and watching other drummers. (See also: Bass and guitar) It seems to have given me a fairly idiosyncratic style of playing, which seems remarkably popular. (The consensus opinion seems to be that I bring other bands to life. Again, would I have ended up like this with tuition, hell no. Does this mean I'd recommend against tuition. Again no. Probably depends entirely on how musical you generally are)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:14 
Gogmagog

I've got a friend who is a Grade 8 drummer. This is somewhat related to the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:16 
Hibernating Druid

LOLZ another 'Tom Tom' thread.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:17 

Nickachu and now Mr Dave are swaying me towards the cheapy ones in the freeads.

Quote:
As said, silencers don't silence the drums - mesh heads will help, but obviously not with the cymbals. Fortunately, I had a free practice area.
Maybe I should soundproof[1] the wall of my study that adjoins my neighbour's daughter's bedroom.

Quote:
As regards tuition, I've never done it. ... Probably depends entirely on how musical you generally are)
I've never been musical; this is something of an experiment in that regard. Perhaps I should buy the kit and see how I get on. I was more thinking of the tuition to undo bad habits I've picked up banging on the Rock Band toy kit.

[1]Put a mattress against.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:20 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Quote:
As regards tuition, I've never done it. ... Probably depends entirely on how musical you generally are)
I've never been musical; this is something of an experiment in that regard. Perhaps I should buy the kit and see how I get on. I was more thinking of the tuition to undo bad habits I've picked up banging on the Rock Band toy kit.

[1]Put a mattress against.

Don't suppose you have any videos of you playing rock band so I can criticise gauge your bad habits?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:21 
Could you go see the neighbour and ask them is there any times they wouldnt mind you playing loudly?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:23 
Gogmagog

nickachu wrote:
Could you go see the neighbour and ask them is there any times they wouldnt mind you playing loudly?

Speak to the neighbour's daughter. Point out that if Gaywood is banging his drums, her parent can't hear her shagging her boyfriend, and then she will buy all the drums Gaywood could ever want.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:24 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Maybe I should soundproof[1] the wall of my study that adjoins my neighbour's daughter's bedroom.
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?sect ... ndproofing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:25 

Mr Dave wrote:
Don't suppose you have any videos of you playing rock band so I can criticise gauge your bad habits?
I do, actually, but I don't know how much you can see. http://www.vimeo.com/4435936

nickachu wrote:
I should probably talk to them about it, if only from politeness. OR! I have a really small room downstairs that used to be the coal house and a cupboard thing. It might just be big enough for a kit to fit in... and has the huge bonus that I dislike the nighbours on that side.

Quote:
Speak to the neighbour's daughter. Point out that if Gaywood is banging his drums, her parent can't hear her shagging her boyfriend, and then she will buy all the drums Gaywood could ever want.
She's about five years old.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:26 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Quote:
She's about five years old.

Postpone learning to play the drums for 10 years, then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

devilman wrote:

Don't write this app or the chappie might be upset.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:55 
Paws for thought

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
I do, actually, but I don't know how much you can see. http://www.vimeo.com/4435936

Mmm, your grip may need a fair bit of work - it's hard to tell from the video, but it does look a bit like you're not getting the stick to do the work for you. (And as an aside: you play the song quite differently from me. There are only two instances in the song where I'd use both hands on the same pad.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 16:59 
Engorged Member

Dear God I'm glad I don't live near you.

Judging by the relationship your sub and surround sound has with your neighbours, I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear you have bought an actual drum kit too.

I predict you cropping up scowling out of your front window on an episode of "Britain's Worst Neighbour" or some such.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:10 
Hibernating Druid

Dab of soundproofing and away!
\

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:26 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

WullieOoster wrote:
IIRC dampening pads only stop a drum "ringing" & change it's tone, a bit like taping the heads. They don't make a huge difference to SPL.

He means the proper bits of rubber mattnig you get to stick over the heads and on the cymbals.

Mr Dave wrote:
(The consensus opinion seems to be that I bring other bands to life. Again, would I have ended up like this with tuition, hell no.

I think you would have done. After all, you can still learn from other drummers by watching them ,even if you're taking tuition. Also, what you play is down to your general musica ability, last time I checked tuition didn't change this, no matter how much fools like Noel Gallagher claim it will.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

You're holding the drumstick like a club.
Quite a few famous drummers do it this way, but in generals it's best to use your fingers and wrist to stick the drum, only usnig your club like bashing for the really really loud bits.

http://www.google.com/search?q=proper+w ... =firefox-a

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:28 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

[delete me!]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:32 

Mr Dave wrote:
Mmm, your grip may need a fair bit of work - it's hard to tell from the video, but it does look a bit like you're not getting the stick to do the work for you.
As pod has (less tactfully :P ) pointed out, I hold the sticks wrong and I know it. That's one of the first things to (un)learn.

Quote:
(And as an aside: you play the song quite differently from me. There are only two instances in the song where I'd use both hands on the same pad.)
Yes. I learnt to play Maps on Expert when I was still doing most of the rest of the game on medium, so I simply couldn't manage the extra hit with the same hand; I know that's supposed to be done that way. So I resorted to bringing my hand over my body and playing with two hands. Again, bad habits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:40 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:

Heh, that's cool. Has anyone tried it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, works fine.
You really feel the kit's lack of a second pedal, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:51 

kalmar wrote:
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Heh, that's cool. Has anyone tried it?
I suppose that app and a set of ION drums for Rock Band would be the next alternative. But, again, as far as I can tell from my research, cheap electric drums seem to be held in very low regard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:54 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

The best entry level drum kit would be a TD3k, in my opinion. But there might be newer, cheaper ones that aren't shit since I last played these things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 17:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz is a pictorial god. I have nothing else to add to this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 18:08 

Pod wrote:
The best entry level drum kit would be a TD3k, in my opinion. But there might be newer, cheaper ones that aren't shit since I last played these things.
They don't seem to exist any more. The TD-4k is £820. A little too rich for my blood!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 18:12 

I forgot to say -- I love the fact that everytime Zardoz 'shops someone's face onto something, he uses the same picture. Somehow that makes it funnier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 18:18 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:

Back when I had my Topway drum controller for Drummania, I wrote an app (in Dark Basic.. woo!) that did much the same thing. The hardest bit was actually finding some decent drum samples to pinch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:36 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Wow... A drumming thread that I missed!

Anyway, get a second hand kit out of the paper to learn on... When you're learning, you'll want something cheap and cheerful to see if it's something you'd want to spend money on.

I've seen people with massively expensive kits that just aren't proper drummers.. It's all about the natural rythym so if you can rub your tummy and pat your head at the same time, you're on to a good start!

As someone else said on here, teach yourself! I did and I'm ace!

As for electronic drums.. I recently bought a Roland TD9 electronic kit and I've got to say, it's the best thing I've ever spent any money on! It sounds far better than any drum kit I've ever played on and it feels just like proper drums! I'd definitely recommend them to anyone (providing they've got the money and are serious about buying electronic drums)

If you're ever passing, pop in! I'll show you how they work!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:40 

Passing where, Vision?

I measured up that small room. It's 1.4m square (well, it's a bit bigger down one end). The door opens into that space, so I'd have to turn it around. On the one hand, that's not a bad size to put a kit in, and it's tucked away out of sight. On the other hand, I bet the kit would be bloody loud in that small space.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That would be REALLY loud... Drums are loud enough as it is and I cannot stress enough the importance of ear plugs! It sounds proper wussy but I can't play without them.. it's just too damn loud!

It has protected my hearing though just in case I ever lose my job and have to fall back on my call centre skills!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 19:46 
Paws for thought

I got a pair of ear blocking headphones for monitoring/ear protection purposes. Spend a little (Well...) to get fitted ones, and it's ace.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:56 

Hmm. Despite what I said earlier, stuff like this (assuming that's not total crap) is quite tempting. Sure, it's more £££, but if I don't stick it out I won't lose much cash on something like that; it would sell on for the same sort of money I imagine. And it's more compact and (obviously) more neighbour friendly.

Hmmm.

Edit -- good grief, the (admittedly cheap) ION kit for £100.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 21:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I used earphones in clubs, a lot of DJs do.

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next