Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 17:42 

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/ ... ogram.aspx

Quote:
I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag.

Once you do that, you need to fill out the "Xbox LIVE Update Preview Sign Up" survey in order to be considered for receiving the Preview System Update. We're asking a few questions about where you live, your home network, ISP connection and a few other pieces of information. We are looking for a good cross-section of our members in order to get the best feedback we can.

The Xbox team will then review all of the applications and if you’re selected we’ll send you an email notifying you of your acceptance in the program. A couple of points before you head off to register:

* We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good
* This opportunity is open to all Xbox LIVE Members in regions where Xbox LIVE is available.
* Just completing the survey does not automatically get you access to the Preview Program. We’ll be making final selections from the completed surveys and send you an email if you are selected.
* While both box LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, Priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

If you are accepted, you'll hear from us in about a week. Make sure your information on Connect is updated so we can email you if you are accepted. Also, I’ll be sure to updated/edit if the program fills up.

Post subject: Re: Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 17:51 
Skillmeister

So it would mean I get to see Shitter and Cuntbook on my eggbox earlier? I doubt they'd roll out Sky as part of that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 18:16 

Dimrill wrote:
So it would mean I get to see Shitter and Cuntbook on my eggbox earlier? I doubt they'd roll out Sky as part of that.

Shitter and Cuntbook (and Last.fm) are the only new features that won't be in this update - this is the one with all of the other stuff. You get a daft star and a number for how many years you've been a gold member on your gamertag, it arranges achievements better, allowing you to read their descriptions WITHOUT CLICKING ON THEM (woo!), you get a precentage of game complete thingy or something, easier party system and some other user friendly stuff. It looks pretty good, actually. :p

To be fair, some of the Cuntbook features look pretty cool. For example I think you can save a screenshot of something good happening and upload it straight away. Like, for example, you beating your mate at FIFA/whatever, or completing a game, etc. Good, of course, if you use Cuntbook and you don't mind your friends/colleagues seeing that you're a big fucking nerd and your gamertag is DEATH'n'DESTRUCTION72.

edit:

Quote:
Netflix Updates

Now you can watch movies with your friends no matter where they are and manage your queue from the comfort of your couch.

* Movie Parties – Xbox LIVE Gold members can sit together in a virtual theater with up to seven friends no matter where they are while your Avatars watch a movie, flirt or even throw popcorn at each other.
* Manage Your Queue – Browse the Netflix Instant Watch video catalogue, choose from the most popular movies and genres and add to your queue all from the comfort of your couch – no computer required.
* Enhanced Playback Experience – Enjoy a smooth viewing experience when your internet bandwidth fluctuates.
* Friends Info – Richer information is now displayed in the Friends channel and in the Guide showing what you and your friends are doing.

Express yourself! Deck your Avatar out with the latest clothing and props from the top brands and game franchises. Please note that only limited content is currently available in the preview.

Clothing

Download premium items, including branded apparel from your favorite fashion labels and Xbox 360 games such as "Halo."

* Props – You can now equip your avatar with animated items they can carry around and interact with.
* Awardables – The ability to earn Avatar clothing and props as rewards within games has been added. Please stay tuned for an update on supporting titles.

Games on Demand -- Please note that Games on Demand will be available in the preview beginning early August.

Enjoy 24 x 7 access to a growing online library of popular full game titles on Xbox LIVE whenever you want them, in the comfort of your living room.

* Purchase Options – Browse and download a great selection of full Xbox 360 games using Microsoft Points, direct debit, or credit card.
* Game Manuals – Game manuals for Games on Demand titles can be viewed, downloaded or printed on Xbox.com.
* It's Yours Forever! – As with other Xbox LIVE content, Games on Demand titles are linked to your Xbox LIVE account, so you can delete and re-download anything you have already purchased to the same console or another console.

User Ratings

User ratings help you find games that other people think are awesome!

* Rate it – You can now rate every game on the Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace using a 5-star system.
* Sort and Find it – Now you can easily find the games that everyone's been raving about by visiting the Top Rated games in the Browse All category of Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace.

Xbox LIVE Parties

Everyone loves to Party! Check out the new and improved Xbox LIVE Party features.

* Party Reconnections – If you are accidently disconnected from your party, Xbox LIVE will automatically reconnect you.
* Streamlined Party Invites – Invites are now just one click away! No need to click through multiple screens to get all your friends together.

Video Display Options

We've made it easier for you to see your entertainment in the highest resolution possible on your TV using an HDMI connection.

* Display Discovery – Make sure you can see and hear your entertainment in the highest resolution and sound quality possible with the option to override and select audio and video formats independent of the information your television sends to your Xbox 360 console.

Other Improvements

We're always listening to you for feedback, and this Xbox LIVE update will include numerous dashboard updates.

* Gold Member Veterans – Xbox LIVE Gold members get to show it off with a stamp on your Gamer Card that tells people how long you've been a Gold member.
* Indie Games – Xbox LIVE Community Games has been renamed Xbox LIVE Indie Games. We feel this new name better represents the independent spirit of these titles.
* Achievement Browser – We've revamped the Achievements browser so it's now easier to read through all the achievements while playing a game. You can now also launch a game directly from the browser.
* Achievements Tracking – A new view inside the profile panel which includes a summary of Achievements earned across all the games played, and shows of all your completed games.
* Streamlined Navigation - Streamlined navigation, including new entry points in the dashboard for Active Downloads, redeeming codes, recovering Gamertags and more.
* Voice Messages – No more blank voice messages! When recording a voice message, a warning will pop up if no audio is detected.
* Friends List Sorting – It's now easier to find your friends! Find and sort your friends by activity, Gamertag or online status by pressing the Y button while viewing the friends list in the Guide.
* Memory – Time stamps now appear in the memory area, which particular handy when managing saved games.

Account Management

We've made some changes to make your life easier.

* Subscription Notification – If your Xbox LIVE subscription is about to run out, you will now be notified when you sign into Xbox LIVE.
* Updates for Invalid Windows Live IDs – If the Windows Live ID you provided has expired, you will now be prompted to update it the next time you sign into Xbox LIVE.
* Account recovery – We've enhanced the account recovery process to make it faster and more reliable.

What does this Xbox LIVE Update not include?

The following features will be coming in future Xbox LIVE updates, which we'll be sure to let you know about.

* Facebook
* Twitter
* Zune video and 1080p Instant On
* Last.fm

Sauce: http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/16/xbox ... d-netflix/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 19:38 
Time Out for Fun

so wait there going to allow debit cards for points purchases?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 19:58 

Quote:
* Party Reconnections – If you are accidently disconnected from your party, Xbox LIVE will automatically reconnect you.
* Streamlined Party Invites – Invites are now just one click away! No need to click through multiple screens to get all your friends together.
Fuck yeah!

Quote:
Awardables – The ability to earn Avatar clothing and props as rewards within games has been added. Please stay tuned for an update on supporting titles.
That could be quite nifty.

Runcle wrote:
No, just for Xbox Original purchases, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you sign up for this preview, how does it affect your interaction (games, parties) with those who haven't?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:32 

Craster wrote:
If you sign up for this preview, how does it affect your interaction (games, parties) with those who haven't?

Changes nothing as far as I know. I was in the NXE program last year for a good month before it was released proper. The only difference was nobody else had created an avatar yet because they didn't have the option. Everything else worked just the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:34 

They have to be backwards compatible, because they don't force the dash updates, do they? I don't think they forced NXE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:38 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
They have to be backwards compatible, because they don't force the dash updates, do they? I don't think they forced NXE.

Yeah they are pretty much forced after a week or so, but they're still backwards compatible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Jonarob wrote:
Download premium items, including branded apparel from your favorite fashion labels and Xbox 360 games such as "Halo."

Didn't I tell you all this would happen? A week after this comes out, 95% of Live users will have a Master Chief avatar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:16 
Skillmeister

For all my 1k'd games, I want a zit mask and coke bottle glasses for my avatar please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:24 

Games On Demand launch lineup is confirmed as follows (citation)

Quote:
* Assassin's Creed
* Need for Speed: Most Wanted
* Burnout Paradise
* Perfect Dark Zero
* Call of Duty 2
* Prey
* Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
* Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis
* Fight Night Round 3
* SEGA Rally
* Kameo: Elements of Power
* Test Drive: Unlimited
* LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
* Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas
* Mass Effect
* Tomb Raider: Legend
* Meet The Robinsons
* Viva Piñata
* MX vs. ATV Untamed
* Viva Piñata 2: Trouble in Paradise
* Need for Speed Carbon

Pretty much any of these can be bought from Game or wherever for a tenner, sometimes a lot less. Someone in the Eurogamer thread bought Kameo last week for £3.85! I paid £5 for Table Tennis, I think. So, these don't make sense for more than £10 on the online service. But then, they are competing directly with Arcade releases at 1200 points. So what is MS to do?

I bet I know their answer: price these at £20 and thus ensure the service is stillborn. Anyone who pays £20 for a game on this list is a bit silly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Having these games available without having to change DVDs is worth a fair bit to me, TBH. Not £20, though.

Hibernating Druid

Runcle wrote:

Always have done with me.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

SupaMod
Est. 1978

Yeah, it's just Maestro cards they hate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:27 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I bet I know their answer: price these at £20 and thus ensure the service is stillborn. Anyone who pays £20 for a game on this list is a bit silly.

I think you might be underestimating the number of people around who are a bit silly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:28 

Grim... wrote:
Having these games available without having to change DVDs is worth a fair bit to me, TBH. Not £20, though.
Indeed. You're a never-get-rid-of-games anomoly though, like most people the inability to lend a game to a mate or trade it in is a disincentive for me.

Runcle wrote:
There has been no announced change to how you buy points -- it's just that these Games On Demand games can also be bought via a direct debit or credit card directly.

Quote:
I think you might be underestimating the number of people around who are a bit silly.
Do we know how well or badly the Xbox Originals service has gone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:32 
What-ho, chaps!

How much is Nelson paying everybody for this then?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:42 
Sitting balls-back folder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Pretty much any of these can be bought from Game or wherever for a tenner, sometimes a lot less. Someone in the Eurogamer thread bought Kameo last week for £3.85! I paid £5 for Table Tennis, I think. So, these don't make sense for more than £10 on the online service. But then, they are competing directly with Arcade releases at 1200 points. So what is MS to do?

Yeah, they really have to be tying it to the Game(Station) second hand price, possibly rounded up to the nearest fiver (it's "new", after all), probably with a fiver as the floor for "worth putting up".

That's still infinitely more profit than anyone involved (except Game) get otherwise.

A criterion for my buying Burnie P from the PSN Store was that it was actually slightly cheaper than the internet could sell it me - like Grim..., I don't ever chop in; I tend to offload console+games on a friend or relative when I've moved on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:44 

BikNorton is the voice of common sense. BikNorton does not (to my knowledge) work at Microsoft. ARE THESE THINGS RELATED? Stay tuned to find out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 16:47 
Sitting balls-back folder

I bet they don't, though. I bet they charge the RRP minus a fiver, then when it hits Platinum the same.

Hang on - all those games are Platinum. So the RRP of a Platinum edition then. Or whatever it is that they call the "old but not quite profitable enough yet" versions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:27 

I had a look at a video on the Xbox last night about the new features and Mass Effect appeared to be 1600 points. At that sort of price it should do well I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I had a look at a video on the Xbox last night about the new features and Mass Effect appeared to be 1600 points. At that sort of price it should do well I reckon.

So they are using MS points for GoD, then. Seems a fair enough price - I hope they drop the Xbox Originals down to 800pts, though. I'd buy a couple if they did that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:31 

myp wrote:
So they are using MS points for GoD, then.
It's both, from what I've read. Points or cash. Of course, by using points bought online you can get a modest discount, because I bet the cash price will be equivalent to the dashboart points purchase rate.

Quote:
Seems a fair enough price
That's £14 at Microsoft rates or £11.50 if you buy 2100 point cards for £15. That's not too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 

Microsoft confirm pricing; 1600-2400 points, so roughly £11.50 - £17 (again, assuming £15/2100 points, add 20% if you buy your points through the dashboard). Could have been worse, but I think it's a touch too high; that means even stuff like Kameo is going to be 1600 points. Still, 1600 points for Mass Effect isn't bad so this is neither "gimme gimme bargain" nor "RAGEQUIT" pricing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:13 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Microsoft confirm pricing; 1600-2400 points, so roughly £11.50 - £17 (again, assuming £15/2100 points, add 20% if you buy your points through the dashboard). Could have been worse, but I think it's a touch too high; that means even stuff like Kameo is going to be 1600 points. Still, 1600 points for Mass Effect isn't bad so this is neither "gimme gimme bargain" nor "RAGEQUIT" pricing.

Hey, that really isn't too bad! I might actually give Mass Effect a go for that price if I'm really bored one night at 4AM or something, or on a Sunday, or something. The really old stuff like Kameo, most people have any way I'd imagine, and yeah, it's about a fiver in Gamestation. Speaking of Kameo - I've only bothered to play it once, but it's awfully pretty, isn't it? Shame it's pretty uninspired boring stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 

Yeah, I'd be tempted at those prices if there was something I was after. Going to Gamestation means going to Blackpool and not going to Blackpool is worth a lot more to me than any possible saving I could make.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:23 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mass Effect has always been a tenner everywhere, from as far back as I remember.

It's probably a nice system, but I'm not downloading entire games to a 60GB hard drive I'm already in danger of filling. It's already difficult enough to juggle the games I have installed. With hard drives being so small and so awkward to upgrade (and you can't go past 120GB), it just isn't a realistic option as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:43 

It depends really, I've only got a 20GB drive and if there was a game I wanted I'd make room, play it for a while and then delete it. If I ever really wanted to play it in the future then I'd just download it again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 

Ok, let's do some research here.

These are the cheapest new prices I can find. (used ones are cheaper in MOST cases but it would be unfair to use them even if the used game is still a better product than a download.)

Cheaper to buy in a box.
* Kameo: Elements of Power - £4.99
* Perfect Dark Zero - £6.85
* Prey - £6.87
* Tomb Raider: Legend - £7.79
* Viva Piñata - £7.79
* Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas - £8.95
* Assassin's Creed - £8.99
* Burnout Paradise - £9.54 (If the download one is the ultimate box, it's £15ish online or about equivalent to it's GOD price)
* Fight Night Round 3 - £9.87
* Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis - £9.89
* SEGA Rally - £9.91
* Viva Piñata 2: Trouble in Paradise - £9.98

About the same on this service
* Test Drive: Unlimited - £11.73
* MX vs. ATV Untamed - £12.72
* Mass Effect - £13.19
* Call of Duty 2 - £14.67
* Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - £14.73 (The GOY edition is a lot more expensive online if that's what GOD will offer)
* Meet The Robinsons - £15.65
* LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga - £15.83

Cheaper on this service
* Need for Speed Carbon - £16.79 (at least if it's 1600 points, 2400 points this is about even)
* Need for Speed: Most Wanted - £31.98 (Out of stock almost everywhere)

So 12-2 in favour of the price of boxed copies and all their extra rights / resale value with 7 draws or near draws.
Worth pointing out that if these average..ooh...4gig, that's roughly another 3 quid in MS sold storage space they each take up as well.

This service will be useful for out of print stuff, you can't get most wanted for love or money in most places, but for the usual stuff it's still cheaper to buy boxed and new.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Don't underestimate the draw of not having to keep disks around the place though. BF1943 is one of my favourite games for that very reason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:09 
UltraMod

I wish I hadn't Goozexed my copy of NFS:MW now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 

I think that this will be a big success given the convenience of it. I've mostly bought games from XBLA when I've been bored and stuck for something to play. I can see me picking up the odd one of these for the same reason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 

Craster wrote:
Don't underestimate the draw of not having to keep disks around the place though. BF1943 is one of my favourite games for that very reason.
:this: For some people, that's a benefit, not a cost.

Also if you buy a game used for £10, the residual trade-in value is almost non-existent anyway, so you're not losing much on these games. You'd be lucky to get a fiver after postage costs on ebay, and you'd have to tolerate a fair bit of pissing about for that miniscule return. It's a different story when you buy a £40 game on release day and are trading it in a month or so later; when Game/etc will offer you £15-20 and you could get £25 on ebay. Then the return is big enough to be worth the bother.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:31 
Comfortably Dumb

Biggest barrier to me is hard drive space. It'd be nice if the bigger hard drives dropped in price, but with stuff like this On Demand and bigger and bigger DLC, I'd imagine that MS will want to grab as much money from selling additional hard drives as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 
UltraMod

devilman wrote:
Biggest barrier to me is hard drive space. It'd be nice if the bigger hard drives dropped in price, but with stuff like this On Demand and bigger and bigger DLC, I'd imagine that MS will want to grab as much money from selling additional hard drives as possible.

But you don't need to keep it all on your HDD at the same time!

Rich, your point regarding the residual value of the old games is compelling. I'm still slightly concerned we'll lose access to playing these games somewhere down the line, though. As long as I keep my discs and console in a hermetically sealed dome, I should be able to play them in 50 years time. I'm not convinced I'll be able to redownload Mass Effect from the Xbox Live servers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:35 

myp wrote:
devilman wrote:

Rich, your point regarding the residual value of the old games is compelling. I'm still slightly concerned we'll lose access to playing these games somewhere down the line, though. As long as I keep my discs and console in a hermetically sealed dome, I should be able to play them in 50 years time. I'm not convinced I'll be able to redownload Mass Effect from the Xbox Live servers.

In 50 years time you'll be able to play them inside your eyeballs just by thinking about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:38 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
In 50 years time you'll be able to play them inside your eyeballs just by thinking about it.

That's what the cool kids will be doing. We'll be moaning that all our favourite games are sat on a server that's no longer plugged in, much like the people who moan now about 5,000 copies of New Zealand Story being stored in an underground bunker somewhere (sub please check).

Of course, when we boot up our 360s, our children will take a look at the controllers and say 'you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 
Unpossible!

myp wrote:
Of course, when we boot up our 360s, our children will take a look at the controllers and say 'you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy'.

SMACK! "Shut up, boy! And make sure you put your radiation proof scuba gear on if you're going outside"
"You ruined the planet, Dad!"
"Fetch me a Beer."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 
Comfortably Dumb

myp wrote:
devilman wrote:

With just DLC and XBLA games I'm down to 1gb which isn't going to be enough for any of the On Demand stuff :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 
UltraMod

devilman wrote:
With just DLC and XBLA games I'm down to 1gb which isn't going to be enough for any of the On Demand stuff :p

So delete some of the DLC or XBLA games you aren't playing? It's not lettuce science.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 

The 20Gb drives are almost unworkable for this service, to be fair. They should cut prices on the 120Gb ones to reasonable levels, seeing as how all you can do on it is fill it with Microsoft premium content anyway.

60Gb is probably enough though, unless you absolultely insist on having more than half a dozen of your DVD games ripped at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:52 

myp wrote:
devilman wrote:

So delete some of the DLC or XBLA games you aren't playing? It's not lettuce science.

We don't want to. >120GB should be available and not so bloody expensive. Hard drives are cheap. S'the one thing the PS3 got right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 
UltraMod

Malabar Front wrote:
We don't want to.

Petulance will get you nowhere. ;)

I agree that the HDDs are too expensive, but if you've got one that's at least 60GB, it's possible to use this service if you really want to. I've got no qualms with deleting around 30 of my XBLA games when I finally run out of room.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:55 

myp wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
We don't want to.

Petulance will get you nowhere. ;)

I don't want to go anywhere!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 
Comfortably Dumb

The immediacy of the XBLA is part of the appeal. If I'm struck down with some mental illness that results in wanting to play Undertow, it's a few button presses away rather than having to re-download it again.

I know I'll end up buying a bigger drive at some point anyway.. I'll still moan though :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:59 
SavyGamer

You guys know that CEX sell 120giggers for £48

Not too bad.

Also, in case it wasn't mentioned, one of the things that the new dash does is make ripping games more efficient, with regards to the amount of space they take up.

http://savygamer.co.uk/2009/08/360-inst ... -with.html

King of Fighters XII was 3.4GB, it now takes up 703MB.
Raiden Fighters Aces was 3.4GB, it now takes up 484MB.
Left 4 Dead was 5GB, it now takes up 3.7GBGB.
Earth Defence Force was 3.4GB, it now takes up 1.6GB.
Burnout Revenge was 4.4GB, it now takes up 3.6GB.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 

Those are some of the most dramatic decreases, mind. Most games only have a much more modest reduction. And yeah, we talked about it in this very thread :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 
SavyGamer

No we didn't I just checked :p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:05 
Hibernating Druid

LewieP wrote:
Raiden Fighters Aces

The what now? When did this come out?!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next