Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windows Wireless Networking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 23:06 
Chinny chin chin

Got a wireless stick thing for a PC to connect it to the wireless network. Tried to set it all up so I install the drivers as instructed. The software that comes with it claims it has logged onto the network but there is no evidence of this (can't even ping the router).

Tried it without the suppliers "helpful" utility and the Windows wireless software just bitched about not having a certificate. What does it want a certificate for, 1st prize in a shite OS contest?

Anyone know how these USB sticks work? I'd purchased a new model as I thought the reason I was having problems was that the old one was shite. Seems I'm having the same problems still. The Mac and Iphone are happily connected to the router so I'm assuming this is some kind of Windoze issue.

The stick is the TL-WN422G for whatever that is worth.

[edit: Although the sticks software claims it has connected, the Draytek routers diagnostics tell me that it is just permanently trying to connect]

Post subject: Re: Windows Wireless Networking
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 23:16 
Chinny chin chin

Fuck me, got it.

Despite asking me for the key on first connection there was a second screen buried down two further levels that also required the key. WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Also the router uses TKIP but if you select TKIP on the sticks software it won't connect. However if you select AES it works. Bloody hell who writes this stuff?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 23:38 

That sounds like a shitty-arsed WiFi adaptor you have there, chinny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 23:49 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That sounds like a shitty-arsed WiFi adaptor you have there, chinny.

I must admit that SEXUAL SWEAR WORDS might have been used during the setup. But it only cost a tenner and has a proper aerial so meh. It's only for the Dell to save me running cables because it's really only used by Mrs Chinny for online stuff.

It's this beastie:

http://www.svp.co.uk/networking/networking-wireless/wireless-adapters-usb/tp-link-tl-wn422g-high-gain-54mbps-wireless-usb-adapter-mte089_wireless-usb-network-adapterwith-detachable-antenna.html

The problem just appears to be shit software. It looked almost identical to the software that came withthe dongle I used to use to get my DS online back when I used to play it.

Meanwhile back at the office the wi-fi arms race continues. I've put an extension on each of the aerials on the router and am now experimenting to crush my enemies. I also have a spare Netgear thing that might be able to act as a repeater but it only supports 54 meg (g) and not the higher speed (n) of the router so I'm not sure how that would work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 0:04 
Esoteric

See if you can use the windows wireless thinger. My card (a Ralink) is very good, but sadly the software that came with it isn't. All I had to do was right click on my software's tray icon and click "use zero configuration utility" and it defaulted to the windows one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 0:08 
Comfortably Dumb

JohnCoffey wrote:
See if you can use the windows wireless thinger. My card (a Ralink) is very good, but sadly the software that came with it isn't. All I had to do was right click on my software's tray icon and click "use zero configuration utility" and it defaulted to the windows one.

Where possible I'll always try to use Windows' own wireless software as the third-party utilities are a bit hit and miss. If there's no option to switch to the zero configuration utility, it can be started in the services list too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 
Chinny chin chin

JohnCoffey wrote:

The Windows one kept on asking for a certificate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 

It clearly has shit drivers with it. You'd probably have done better to spend more than a tenner, Chinny! When I googled the product code, a description page I found was boasting about the fact it was "blazing fast" 802.11g and also supported 802.11b - I conclude it's bloody old.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 
Chinny chin chin

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It clearly has shit drivers with it. You'd probably have done better to spend more than a tenner, Chinny! When I googled the product code, a description page I found was boasting about the fact it was "blazing fast" 802.11g and also supported 802.11b - I conclude it's bloody old.

Its only a stand in for a secondary box until I get chance to run a wire down here. The only thing it'll ever be used for is for internet access.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]