And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: A Level exam too difficult
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 23:43 
Sleepyhead

Link to Express Article about the below

Quote:
A-LEVEL history students are campaigning to alter their examination marks after they failed to understand a question.

They say the phraseology in an exam paper describing Hitler as “a despotic tyrant” confused them and meant they did not know how to answer.

Education chiefs say the complaints merely indicate how low standards in schools have become.

Nick Seaton, chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, said: “It is a tragic reflection on standards that A-level students don’t understand a straightforward word. Despotic is hardly a difficult word to grasp. This really does beggar belief. You could argue that the adjective was unnecessary but they should have worked out the meaning anyway.”

The 6,000 students who sat modern history this year were asked: “How far do you agree that Hitler’s role in 1933-45 was one of despotic tyranny?”

More than 1,150 complaints have been posted on internet chat rooms and a campaign, Despotic Tyranny Ruined My Life, has been launched to try to get the papers marked more leniently.

Comments on Facebook indicate many students were baffled by the question.

One said: “I thought it meant choatic… so the whole essay has turned out rather choatic.”

Another wrote: “I came to the conclusion there was tyranny bit [sic] it wasn’t always depsotic seeing as they kinda mean the same thing I guess my essay made no sense whatsoeva! ”

Laura Cleary, from Ormskirk School, confided: “I thought it meant weak.” Alicia Luba, of Croydon High School, wrote: “My life is destroyed because of this exam. Seriously.”

Some students have even suggested organising a protest march to the offices of the exam board Edexcel.

A spokeswoman for Edexcel defended the question, saying it was explained in material at the end of the paper.

She added: “It will be taken into consideration but it was felt this was language students attempting A-level history should have been able to understand.”

Am I bad for giving this story (as the kids would say) 'the lolz'? It's very easy to buy into the tabloid frenzy of "Oh no! Kids are getting stupid!".

Where do people stand on this? I think that kids are (probably) smarter in many ways, but that education has become very, very targeted and aimed at passing exams rather than at educating (you could also argue that this has always been the case to varying degrees). As such, you get people capable of many things, but for those unwilling to go outside the syllabus at all, there's potential trouble. Also, compensation culture and lack of blame being attached to people blows things such as this up out of proportion (as does the media).

What say the good people of Beex?

Post subject: Re: A Level exam too difficult
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 23:55 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

If you don't understand a word in an exam, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to raise your hand and ask someone, are you not? At GCSE/A-Level, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 23:56 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
HITLER: Depot or tyrant?

Depot.

And yeah, I've heard folks asking for clarification of questions in an exam.

I didn't like History as a subject as it was an exceptionally wordy one with naff, indistinct questions. (I have a better record on science/math-based subjects with discrete correct answers. The answers are shorter, simpler, and you can be sure you've got them right.)

I think the question, as quoted, is rather naff. 'Despotic tyranny' is one too many words at once. Asking about 'Adjectivey - Loaded-Noun' just makes me think about semantics. Would they be wanting to examine semantics? Or do they just want a number? "Well, kinda, perhaps. Say eighty-ninety percent? I wasn't really there, so I'm not the best person to ask."

I hope the actual exam would have guide points along the lines of "Your answer MUST refer to the following: The structure of the governance of Nazi Germany. (10 marks)".

I almost can't believe that A level students studying WW2 wouldn't have heard the word 'despotic' before. I can believe it, but that's because I did my A-Levels in a community college in Birken'ead, laaaad.

The lesson here is that you should READ THE PAST PAPERS. Not only will the questions be similar, but you'll be apprised of the rules of the examination room: all of my A-Level and university level exams have allowed the use of a printed language dictionary.

Gawsh, English was naff also. I hated studying Shakespeare, but that's okay, because we didn't really do it. The subject was never introduced as an exercise in character analysis so we never got into that mindset. All anyone could come up with is "I don't know why X did that. The dialogue preceding and following the action in question have no relation to the event, and the relationships between X and Y, the other character present, are not made apparent. I really have no idea what some of the dialogue means, or how it is pronounced. These lines have never been spoken aloud to me, so they really could mean anything." Took most of us long enough to notice that enjambement doesn't end a sentence.

But that's another story.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:00 
Skillmeister

"Tyrant? That's like Tyra Banks, innit?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:07 
Chinny chin chin

Curiosity wrote:
They say the phraseology in an exam paper describing Hitler as “a despotic tyrant” confused them and meant they did not know how to answer.

The answer to "a despotic tyrant" is "get to fucking fuck", natch. :attitude:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:14 
Comfortably Dumb

Dimrill wrote:
"Tyrant? That's like Tyra Banks, innit?"

Tyrant - Voice your displeasure at being unable to find suitable neck attire.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:16 
What-ho, chaps!

INSIDE THEIR MINDS

Quote:
Generally mine worked it out(ish) but one on-for-a-B student interpreted it as meaning despairing!

Goodness only knows what that answer's like!

INSIDE EDEXCELS MIND

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:30 
Peculiar, yet lovely

With class sizes too large to be of much use, and a culture of philistinism and business-aping target setting driving away most good teachers and neutering the rest, this kind of shit is inevitable. No government will do anything useful about it though, because no government would have the stones to fund smaller classes and decent teaching.

I maintain that, academic standards aside, the ordeal of being forced through the education system is significantly harder to go through than it used to be. And I've nothing but pity for the poor saps who are going to be forced to waste their time in school until they're 18, too. There's no benefit to that at all - the ones who don't want to be there will suffer, and the ones who want to be there will suffer too. Total waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 0:52 
Excellent Member

Thick children notwithstanding, the question, "How far do you agree that Hitler’s role in 1933-45 was one of despotic tyranny?” is absolutely huge! It could never seriously be answered in the 1500 words expected in an exam and would take years of serious research and contemplation to even offer the sense of a reasonable answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Also, I bet you could easily find well over 2,000 adults who have no idea what despot means, either. This is a total non-story anyway - the only difference between now and 15 years ago is that what back then would have been confined to whinging to friends on the phone is now being publically broadcast over stupid websites.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:33 
Paws for thought

Plus: also it doesn't matter. If it's a hard question, everyone finds it hard, and the narking scheme is adapted to fit.

For my chemistry A-Level, my final exam was a biochemistry module, and it went poorly. There was one question I didn't even have a clue about, and pretty much left blank. Having finished that, I felt that exam alone could cost me the B grade I needed, and that I could be certain I'd blown the A. Speaking to friends, they also found it hard.

When I got the results, I got a 100/100. Which was impossible unless they'd alter the marking scale to reflect the difficulty of the exam.

Same would happen here if the exam was broadly too difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 

I think that's a poorly phrased question, and I can imagine the kids gettting very wound up about it in the exam. "Despot" isn't a word in particularly common usage. It's also redundant anyway; surely "despotic tyranny" is a tautology?

I agree, also, that the question seems to be hopelessly broad for an exam-conditions short essay to address. But then I once wrote 24 handwritten sides of A4 on "analyse the decline in MacBeth's moral characte. throughout the play".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:31 
Gogmagog

Somewhere, once, where I did some exams, they:

1) Left the second half of the question off. You know, the question bit, so all we got was a nice story.
2) Asked about 2 people who had not been mentioned in the question at all.
3) other stuff I'll add in once I get suitably cross over it.

I don't think that question is too tricky for any exam, you could pick up a fair chunk of marks I would imagine from it, even not knowing a lot. I think it's more that the people complaining are the most vocal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 
Unpossible!

Well, yeah

Wiki wrote:
despot (plural despots)

1. A ruler with absolute power; a tyrant.
2. A title awarded to senior members of the imperial family in the late Byzantine Empire, and claimed by various independent or semi-autonomous rulers in the Balkans (12th to 15th centuries)

Maybe they were confused by the Byzantine reference. They were TOO educated.

Had you considered that? Hmm?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:26 
INFINITE POWAH

"despotic tyrant" therefore being a redundancy, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:27 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:

It's almost like someone's already said that. But yes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:28 
Unpossible!

Mr Chris wrote:

Clearly. It's like saying 'maniacal maniac' or 'Wrong Mr Chris'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 

Bit of a leading question thuogh.

Course, it would be fun to answer 'nah, he was a bit shit at it really - Stalin did it better'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:38 

Mr Chris wrote:
As is this sentence, of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 
INFINITE POWAH

myp wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

It's almost like someone's already said that. But yes.

Did they? None of the interesting posts I have read in this thread mentioned anything of the sort. I may have self-edited some out, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:44 

Mr Chris wrote:
Did they? None of the interesting posts I have read in this thread mentioned anything of the sort. I may have self-edited some out, though.
Look:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's also redundant anyway; surely "despotic tyranny" is a tautology?
I think it's more likely you don't know what a tautology is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Dave wrote:
Plus: also it doesn't matter. If it's a hard question, everyone finds it hard, and the narking scheme is adapted to fit.

Is that the term for crying about it on the interweb?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:51 
INFINITE POWAH

Yep, still can't see anything like that.

I didn't read all of the thread, ok? I sinned. I posted before reading. And yes, I know what a tautology is. It's surprisingly relevant to my job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Yep, still can't see anything like that.

I didn't read all of the thread, ok? I sinned. I posted before reading. And yes, I know what a tautology is. It's surprisingly relevant to my job.

And placement of commas, man, placement of commas. I'll write that PM in a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 

If you came across that question in an exam and didn't know what Despot meant, would you ignore the word and focus on the Tyranny, or would you make one hell of a guess, risking the entire essay's focus and wing it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:02 
baron of techno

I'm with the tabloids on this one. If you don't understand the question, it's because you're fick innit.

There was a news story on at the weekend, I just caught a bit of it, some education person proclaiming that the english language must be allowed to "evolve" to modify difficult words to simpler ones, as children today don't have the capacity or interest to learn the trickier bits, and schools don't have the resources to force it into them.

Disgust.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 
Gogmagog

kalmar wrote:
I'm with the tabloids on this one. If you don't understand the question, it's because you're fick innit.

There was a news story on at the weekend, I just caught a bit of it, some education person proclaiming that the english language must be allowed to "evolve" to modify difficult words to simpler ones, as children today don't have the capacity or interest to learn the trickier bits, and schools don't have the resources to force it into them.

Disgust.

They tend to hide information like that in dictionaries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I wouldn't have understood the question, but I'd like to know what was written at the end of the paper:
Quote:
A spokeswoman for Edexcel defended the question, saying it was explained in material at the end of the paper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:05 

There was an article posted a long time ago where some woman was pushing for the 'redundant' letters in words to be phased out, and their shorter versions accepted. It was pretty much like reading a teenager's text message.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:07 
Gogmagog

Malabar Front wrote:
There was an article posted a long time ago where some woman was pushing for the 'redundant' letters in words to be phased out, and their shorter versions accepted. It was pretty much like reading a teenager's text message.

A good example of rhetoric.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
A good example of retric.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:11 
baron of techno

Quote:
Having chosen English as the preferred language in the EEC, the
European Parliament has commissioned a feasability study in ways of
improving efficiency in communications between Government departments.

European officials have often pointed out that English spelling is
unnecessary difficult; for example: cough, plough, rough, through and
thorough. What is clearly needed is a phased programme of changes to
iron out these anomalies. The programme would, of course, be
administered by a committee staff at top level by participating nations.

In the first year, for example, the committee would suggest using 's'
instead of the soft 'c'. Sertainly, sivil servants in all sities would
resieve this news with joy. Then the hard 'c' could be replaced by 'k'
sinse both letters are pronounsed alike. Not only would this klear up
konfusion in the minds of klerikal workers, but typewriters kould be
made with one less letter.

There would be growing enthousiasm when in the sekond year, it was
anounsed that the troublesome 'ph' would henseforth be written 'f'.
This would make words like 'fotograf' twenty per sent shorter in print.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be
expekted to reash the stage where more komplikated shanges are
possible. Governments would enkourage the removal of double letters
which have always been a deterent to akurate speling.

We would al agre that the horible mes of silent 'e's in the languag is
disgrasful. Therefor we kould drop thes and kontinu to read and writ as
though nothing had hapend. By this tim it would be four years sins the
skem began and peopl would be reseptive to steps sutsh as replasing
'th' by 'z'. Perhaps zen ze funktion of 'w' kould be taken on by 'v',
vitsh is, after al, half a 'w'. Shortly after zis, ze unesesary 'o
kould be dropd from words kontaining 'ou'. Similar arguments vud of
kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

Kontinuing zis proses yer after yer, ve vud eventuli hav a reli
sensibl riten styl. After tventi yers zer vud be no mor trubls,
difikultis and evrivun vud fin it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drems
of the Guvermnt vud finali hav kum tru.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:12 
Unpossible!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:12 
INFINITE POWAH

Didn't Twain come up with something similar?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Didn't Twain come up with something similar?

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:17 
Ready for action

When I was doing my Standard Grade Modern Studies exam when I was 14, there was a question about apartheid era South Africa. I can't remember the question very well but one of the things it mentioned or asked about was autonomy. I had no idea what that meant and after the exam it seemed no one else in the class did either. In that instance, it was simply a case of us never having heard that word before.

I wouldn't have reacted the way these people reacted though, in this case the question can be answered with the word omitted so they should just get on with it. I certainly wouldn't be trying to plan a protest march and be displaying my less than stellar grip of the English language by posting on Facebook with such startlingly bad grammar/spelling.* I HATE 'text talk' or woteva th kewl kids call it.

*Please ignore any startlingly bad grammar/spelling in the above post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:18 
Excellent Member

my opinion is that stupid ignorant people should be penalized. They can protest as much as they want, but this ignorant fucks failed at the exam. I'm sure i knew what despot meant when i was 10 years old. It's hardly a complex word.

It seems that is this impression nowadays that common knowledge is worthless and that as long as you do your job properly there's no need to know anything more. e.g. my work colleagues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 
Gogmagog

superdupergill wrote:
When I was doing my Standard Grade Modern Studies exam when I was 14, there was a question about apartheid era South Africa. I can't remember the question very well but one of the things it mentioned or asked about was autonomy. I had no idea what that meant and after the exam it seemed no one else in the class did either. In that instance, it was simply a case of us never having heard that word before.

It's a fairly simple question to answer though Gill. The issues are very much black and white.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:21 
Gogmagog

RuySan wrote:
my opinion is that stupid ignorant people should be penalized. They can protest as much as they want, but this ignorant fucks failed at the exam. I'm sure i knew what despot meant when i was 10 years old. It's hardly a complex word.

Crikey, that's taking a hard line. I think it's fairly easy to say that "Thick people are less successful than clever people" so it's penalizing them from the get go.

RuySan wrote:
It seems that is this impression nowadays that common knowledge is worthless and that as long as you do your job properly there's no need to know anything more. e.g. my work colleagues

Graem le Saux has a degree in history, you know. I doubt it helped him out a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

superdupergill wrote:
I wouldn't have reacted the way these people reacted though, in this case the question can be answered with the word omitted so they should just get on with it.

Yeah, but you only know that if you know what the word means.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:28 

Grim... wrote:
Yeah, but you only know that if you know what the word means.

I find it hard to believe that the students hadn't come across the word during their course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 
Excellent Painter

DavPaz wrote:

That needs a shouty tie! Otherwise, tres amusing :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 
Sleepyhead

Surely this could all have been solved by forcing the kids to play any of the Civilization games?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:34 
Unpossible!

Curiosity wrote:
Surely this could all have been solved by forcing the kids to play any of the Civilization games?

Good point. I'm sure I learned the word despot from those games. And fundamentalist.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 

kalmar wrote:
There was a news story on at the weekend, I just caught a bit of it, some education person proclaiming that the english language must be allowed to "evolve" to modify difficult words to simpler ones, as children today don't have the capacity or interest to learn the trickier bits, and schools don't have the resources to force it into them. Disgust.
I think that's tabloid alarmism. A thousand years of constant changes in English have made it one of the richest languages on Earth, and it's pre-eminence in modern business communication across the world can be traced to its flexibility as a language, its willingness to change and mutate and borrow words. Sure, some number of words might be becoming simpler. Meanwhile, other words will be taking on new meanings, new words are introduced, and as a whole simply changes, all the time. I think that's breathtakingly excellent. I don't see any serious academic linguists wringing their hands about the state of modern English, and I suspect most of the examples of this sort of thing the tabloids draw on come from a barely-literate underclass of children who were always barely literate, but it's more obvious now.

Malabar Front wrote:

Was it at all like this one:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" — bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez — tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
which was of course written by
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Mark Twain
a hundred years ago?

Or how about that research paper a few months back that shows startling similarities between text speak and the truncated, phoentic English used for a lot of personal letters in the Victorian era, when paper was so expensive that cramming more words onto each page was of paramount importance?

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't believe the sky is falling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 
baron of techno

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
. I don't see any serious academic linguists wringing their hands about the state of modern English, and I suspect most of the examples of this sort of thing the tabloids draw on

In defence, this was on Radio 4, and sounded like a serious academic linguist. Otherwise, I'd tend to agree with you. If I dig up a link I'll post it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mark Twain.

Now who's redundant, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Was it at all like this one:

Not quite — I've seen that one before. This was on the BBC news site, from a real woman in some Educational position somewhere — I forget the details. She was saying how the language and the superfluous letters made it difficult for less-intelligent children to pick up, and that simpler versions should be accepted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mark Twain.

Now who's redundant, eh?

650 constructions workers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mark Twain.

Now who's redundant, eh?

650 constructions workers

Perhaps if they'd complied with the terms of their contracts they wouldn't be, eh? If I stayed off work to wave placards illegally outside my employer, I'd be expecting to get fired.

Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next